Start by marking “Crab Moon” as Want to Read:
Crab Moon

Crab Moon

Introduce young naturalists to the mysterious high tide of the horseshoe crabs.

One June night, under the full moon, Daniel’s mother wakes him up to see the extraordinary sight of horseshoe crabs spawning on the beach, just as they have every spring for an awesome 350 million years. But when Daniel returns in the morning, he finds only one lonely crab, marooned upside down
Published March 8th 2004 by Candlewick Press (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Crab Moon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Crab Moon

Start your review of Crab Moon
Cheryl
Mar 08, 2020 rated it liked it
Impulse grab at the library. I had no idea horseshoe crabs (which the notes explain are not really crabs) lay their eggs en masse onshore, somewhat like sea turtles do. Nice little book for educators.
Luisa Knight
Learn a little about the horseshoe crabs that come to shore on a summer's eve. If you're staying at a beach house, you'll certainly want to add this to your packing list!

Ages: 5 - 8

Cleanliness: mentions "hundreds of millions of years."

**Like my reviews? I also have hundreds of detailed reports that I offer too. These reports give a complete break-down of everything in the book, so you'll know just how clean it is or isn't. I also have Clean Guides (downloadable PDFs) which enable you to clean up
Jessica
Jan 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
I love it when I learn something new from a picture book.
Stacie
Apr 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook, kids-books
Read the video book of Crab Moon. 🦀 perhaps that’s cheating but the words were on the video so it was like reading. What mom lets her kid go down to the beach in the dark to see horseshoe crabs mating - barefooted??? Ouch!
Mrs. Ruigrok
Mar 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What a great book to show children about crabs and how they lay their eggs on the beach. The beautiful illustrations, age appropriate text and information page at the back are all super. I would love to share this with students and my own children. A wonderful find!
Ella Dagou
This book can be used to teach students: painting a picture through words, word choice, plot, setting, theme, and characterization.
Ruth
Apr 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Luminous.
Nicole Sanfilippo
This story is about a young boy who finds baby crabs being born and he visits them to see how they are as they are making their way to the ocean. This book provides lots of pictures for the readers to look at and enjoy. This could be used during a lesson about the ocean or sea creatures.
Susan
Jun 20, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books-jp
I have always loved horseshoe crabs and how they remind one that the beach is not all sunblock and plastic buckets, but the foyer to something deeply mysterious and ancient.

When my oldest was a tiny girl, standing on a milk crate to put her hands in the (now long gone) touch tank at the Norwalk Maritime Center, two boys, older by at least five years, came in and were elbowing each other and daring their bad selves to touch the scary horseshoe crab. And little Jess, not quite six, lifts one up a
Alisha Funkhouser
Oct 06, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: libs-642
Horowitz, R., & Kiesler, K. (2000). Crab moon. Cambridge, Mass.: Candlewick Press.

Library of Virginia

Tumblebook

I choose Crab Moon from the Tumblebooks because I love going to the beach and the cover of the book grabbed my interest immediately. The story is about a boy whose mother teaches him about horseshoe crabs. She takes him to see them lay their eggs on the beach under the full moon. He is excited to see the crabs and in the morning he finds one left on the beach, somehow tipped over. He tu
Apr 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ece-3601, science
S2L1. Students will investigate the life cycles of different living organisms.
a. Determine the sequence of the life cycle of common animals in your area: a mammal
such as a cat or dog or classroom pet, a bird such as a chicken, an amphibian such as
a frog, and an insect such as a butterfly.
b. Relate seasonal changes to observations of how a tree changes throughout a school
year.
c. Investigate the life cycle of a plant by growing a plant from a seed and by recording
changes over a period of ti
Laura Jones
Apr 22, 2012 rated it liked it
The illustrations in the book, Crab Moon were incredible. The illustrations were realistic and the illustrator used water color. The illustrations told their own story. The book had lengthy text in with complex vocabulary. Younger readers might have difficulty with reading comprehension, but older readers such as fifth grade and above would enjoy this book. Younger readers would be engaged with the illustrations.
Tatiana
Apr 03, 2012 rated it liked it
Crab Moon is a story about a young boy discovering the mystery of horseshoe crabs on a family vacation to the beach. I am using examples from his adventure--comparisons, setting, onomatopoeia--in my presentation on descriptive writing tomorrow morning. It is a gr. 3-5 book with wonderful illustrations and written with attention to the whole sensory experience.
Dana
Oct 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
I learned something new and enjoyed the poetic language.
Emily Carstenbrock
A gorgeously illustrated book! Pictures are so real! They set a mood of calm and relaxation. It takes you back to childhood summer memories.
Joy Myers
Jan 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
This story is a great way to incorporate literature and science in the same lesson. It is engaging and can lead to several discussions of different animals and their unique qualities.
Jaleen Kinser
Jun 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
Beautiful paintings illustrate a sight most kiddos will never have the chance to witness. Wonderful book!
ZZ
Jan 10, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: boys.
I got this book while I was on vacation in North Carolina. I liked this book because it helped me learn about horse shoe crabs.
Teri
May 11, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: oceans
3.5 stars. Nice illustrations.
Sophie May
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Wemberly Worried
  • The Alphabet Tree
  • Johnny Appleseed: My Story
  • The Wrinkle in Time Quintet - Digest Size Boxed Set (Time Quintet, #1-5)
  • Sittin' in the Front Pew: A Novel
  • Light from Heaven (Mitford Years, #9)
  • Don't Squeal Unless It's a Big Deal: A Tale of Tattletales
  • Johnny Appleseed
  • Apples for Everyone
  • I Want It All: Exchanging Your Average Life for Deeper Faith, Greater Power, and More Impact
  • How Do Apples Grow?
  • If You Were a Minus Sign
  • The First Six Weeks of School
  • In This Mountain (Mitford Years, #7)
  • Take Care, Good Knight
  • The Adventures of Beekle: The Unimaginary Friend
  • Little Mole's Wish
  • Handle with Care: An Unusual Butterfly Journey
I have worked as a librarian in a Catholic girls’ high school, raised two children, run for public office, taught Torah at a Hebrew school and served the causes of truth and grammar as a contributing editor at Vermont’s alternative weekly newspaper, Seven Days. I grew up in Montclair, New Jersey, and also spent part of my childhood in Paris. Since then I’ve lived in Los Angeles and Burlington, Ver ...more

News & Interviews