Start by marking “Delirium” as Want to Read:
Delirium

Delirium (Delirium #1)

3.99  ·  Rating details ·  359,246 Ratings  ·  24,503 Reviews
Ninety-five days, and then I'll be safe. I wonder whether the procedure will hurt. I want to get it over with. It's hard to be patient. It's hard not to be afraid while I'm still uncured, though so far the deliria hasn't touched me yet. Still, I worry. They say that in the old days, love drove people to madness. The deadliest of all deadly things: It kills you both when yo ...more
Hardcover, Turtleback Scho., 464 pages
Published May 17th 2016 by San Val (first published February 3rd 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Delirium, please sign up.

Merjem In an alternate United States, love has been declared a dangerous disease, and the government forces everyone who reaches eighteen to have a procedure…moreIn an alternate United States, love has been declared a dangerous disease, and the government forces everyone who reaches eighteen to have a procedure called the Cure. Living with her aunt, uncle, and cousins in Portland, Maine, Lena Haloway is very much looking forward to being cured and living a safe, predictable life. She watched love destroy her mother and isn't about to make the same mistake.

But with ninety-five days left until her treatment, Lena meets enigmatic Alex, a boy from the Wilds who lives under the government's radar. What will happen if they do the unthinkable and fall in love?
(less)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Emma
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Lyndz
Around page 30(ish) there is a line in the book that I really could not get past and I nearly put the book down because of it. “His eyes are literally dancing with light, burning as though on fire.” This is what I pictured:

I am positive that eyeballs (literally) doing a cha-cha with light bulbs is not is not what Oliver meant to portray. I am also pretty sure, given the context, that this statement was not intended as hyperbole. Now see here, I am normally not a grammar stickler, but this lapse
Veronica Roth
(Originally on the blog, here.)

This concept could easily have gone awry. Stories about love tend to go that way sometimes. They wander into the realm of cheese and never return, which I think is a shame, because there is a way to write about romantic love without breaking out the Velveeta. And Lauren Oliver does it.

A few reasons why I loved this book:

1. It was well-written. Lauren Oliver strings words together like a poet-- she makes beautiful things surprising, if that makes sense. Sometimes wr
Tatiana
May 27, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: YA romance fans
It is clear, the new genre of dystopian romance is here to stay. Apparently, paranormal romance formula I-can't-be-with-you-cause-I-might-kill-you is getting old, so now we will be bombarded with trilogies showcasing new formula I-can't-be-with-you-cause-this-bad-dystopian-world-is-tearing-us-apart. Ugh! And why did Lauren Oliver decide to dabble in this genre instead of sticking to what she knows best? I am trying to be nice here, but Oliver has no talent for speculative fiction. I worry about ...more
Kat Kennedy
I have said this before and I’ll say it again. I have no problem with an implausible story vehicle. As long as the ride is good and it relates a moral or philosophical value.

But where the line is drawn is when the world isn’t consistent and in the confines of that world, things don’t make sense.

That’s my limit. That’s when I start getting frustrated and annoyed. And it’s not because an author tried something new, okay? Lauren Oliver is AMAZING. She is a great author who is erudite and verbose an
Stacey (prettybooks)
December 2011 review:
I adored Delirium when I first read and reviewed it, which was back in February. I had limited experience with dystopia, only having read Matched, The Hunger Games, and Uglies, but Delirium made it one of favourite genres. I’ve come across many young dystopian novels since then, and having re-read Delirium, I can safely say that it is still one of my favourites and one of the best books I’ve read this year.

Although Delirium is a dystopian novel, it is first and foremost a lo
Erica (daydreamer)
There are some books written that touch you deeply. Stories that work their way stealthily into your heart, and imbeds itself securely there, and refusing to disperse, leaving you utterly breathless and completely captivated with wondrous awe. Delirium did this for me. There are not many books that can speak to you the way Delirium does. Books that tug at your heartstrings, and make you believe in the impossible. Books that can express what love really is: an all consuming, brilliantly captivati ...more
Emily May

2 / 5

Dystopian fiction, particularly the young adult kind, is plummeting downhill at 100 mile-an-hour.

Misty
2.5 - 3

"I hate skin; I hate bones and bodies.  I want to curl up inside of him and be carried there forever."

Earlier this year, I fell in love with Lauren Oliver's debut, Before I Fall.  So understandably, I was very excited to hear about her next book, Delirium.  A dystopian world where love is a disease, written by the clearly very talented Oliver?  Yeah, I can get behind that.  I settled in to wait the long, cruel months until the February release date, when I got a surprise package in the ma
Olivia McCloskey
Before I begin, let me start by warning anyone who has placed this book on their To-Read Shelf: Do not plan on accomplishing anything productive for approximately 24 hours after starting the book. You have been warned. And for anyone who did not read this warning in time, you are more than welcome to join my sleep-deprived sob fest. If only I knew what I was getting myself into when I first picked up the book.

For the past sixty-four years, love was considered a disease which impaired reason and
Jesse (JesseTheReader)
Such a good book. I loved the whole idea of the world even though I found it depressing. It was such a unique concept. There were times when I found myself being annoyed with Lena. I kept thinking to myself "Lena, shut up.", but I grew to really like her character towards the end. Also.. what the heck was that ending? WHY DID YOU DO THAT LAUREN OLIVER. YOU HURT MY HEART.

Oh and can I get more Hana Tate please?
kari
May 21, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, 2011

This has all the elements of being a very exciting story, but sad to say, it isn't. The last fifty pages lift it from a two star, barely, but can't save the entirety of the book.
First of all, it's simply too long for what is in here. The storyline isn't bad, but it's far too minutely descriptive and all I can think is, well, this is going to be stretched out to fill three books so, of course, it's overly descriptive. Something has to fill all those pages. Too bad it isn't the story, but street b
Dija
So a day before the release of Pandemonium, I finally get around to reading Delirium. And after that devastating ending, my relief knows no bounds.

I don't know how you all survived the past year without raiding Oliver's home and/or holding her publisher at gunpoint for an ARC, but I'm so glad I don't have to prove my non-existent patience with this one, because frankly, I about died reading that last chapter.

Honestly, I hated Lena for most of the book. She's so damn weak and I couldn't help but
leni (space bear)

just read an absurd amount of bullshit. can someone send over their local priest i need to be cleansed.
Kai
Apr 02, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
“He who leaps for the sky may fall, it's true. But he may also fly.”

A girl and a boy in a world where love is a sickness that can be cured.
Set in a dystopian Portland, Maine, the novel tells the story of Lena, 17, just before she receives a life-altering operation, that will forever take her feelings away.

I know I'm late. Like, really late. So many people have already read this and given an overall very good rating.
While I love the idea and creativity behing the story, I had some issues reading
Evgnossia O'Hara
Review was originally published on my blog Through the Chapters

What if we had to live in an alternative universe? What if this universe would be the same but not exactly equivalent to ours? What if it would be illegal to feel anything? What if love would be considered as a mortal sin? What if we had to spend almost all our lives not as human beings but something in between, since everything that breathes into us humanity would not exist at all? What if…? What if…?

Is it even possible to be depriv
oliviasbooks
Okay. A review - or better a hopefully short explanation - after reading 104 pages, which in the case of "Delirium" means, I am still in the middle of the introductory chapters before the "real story" starts.

I do not know what I had expected storywise, when I pre-ordered the book. There were two factors, that made me do it, though: I had been very impressed by the author's courageous debut Before I Fall and the emotions reading it exposed me to. And - like almost every YA book lover out here - I
Jen
Aug 13, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2010
I had heard a lot of wonderful early buzz about Delirium. I also heard about the buckets of tears that resulted from reading said book. I manned up a little before marking this one as "reading now" on my Nook. I thought I was prepared, you guys.

I.
Was.
Not.
Prepared.

Delirium is one of those books that makes your eyes second guess what they're reading, because how can anyone write such beautiful, beautiful things? It is chock full of phrases that you want to memorize and save for one of those momen
Chesca
Dec 10, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2016
A read for The Quarterly Book Club’s 2016 Series Reread Challenge
“I love you. Remember. They cannot take it.”

Lauren Oliver’s Delirium has once again astounded me. It is one of my best-loved dystopia series since I first read it. All the feelings that overwhelmed me before came rushing back, enveloping me in an embrace that reminds me of the beauty of a night sky, captivating with the speckling of stars.

Lena Haloway grew up looking forward to the day that she will be cured. She believed that u
Elle

Let’s all gather round and pretend that Lauren Oliver is a surgeon. A highly skilled, kick-ass champion of a surgeon.

Now, let's assume that Delirium is the patient.

And if these statements are true, then the characters are the amoebas that are aggressively attacking the patient and the plot is the brain tumour that will bring it to its tragic end.

Because let's be honest, this book was a bad idea.

It would be as if I woke up tomorrow and decided it was a terrific stroke of genius to wear my purple
May 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, signed
Felicity Jackson (gowithflick)
FAR OUT. Did it really have to end like that....? 😢
Such a clever idea though!! Really good read but oh my...I need a minute.
Lexy S.C.
May 21, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: to-burn
Yet another example of why I hate dystopia. Same old, same old.
Steph Sinclair

I really wanted to love this book. Don't get me wrong, it wasn't bad, but it just didn't add up to the hype I thought it would. I would say I give it more of 3 1/2 stars.

Delirium is about a girl name Lena who lives in a future where love is considered a disease. At 18 everyone under goes surgery to remove the ability to love. However, a few months before her surgery and birthday, she meets Alex and falls in love. Obviously, this complicates things.

To be honest, it was difficult to place myself
Sita
I tried I really did, I loved Before I fall, and this book sounded so great, but I couldn't bring myself to get past the first 100 pages. This book is probably good for some people, but I just couldn't bring myself to finish it.
Michele at A Belle's Tales
May 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Michele at A Belle's Tales by: jeanette
“They say that the cure for love will make me happy and safe forever. And I’ve always believed them. Until now. Now everything has changed. Now, I’d rather be infected with love for the tiniest sliver of a second than live a hundred years smothered by a lie.”

I am afraid I don’t possess the vocabulary to accurately describe this book. Beautiful, yes, but that does not do it justice. I was mesmerized from the beginning. This book tugged at my heart and left me breathless. The ending left me speec
Beatriz
Bueno, claramente los diálogos no son el fuerte de la autora; son pocos aquellos donde logra juntar más de cuatro palabras. El problema es que como el libro está escrito en primera persona, se hace casi imposible profundizar en los demás personajes aparte de Lena que, además, tiene un rollo existencial que te lo encargo. Por lo mismo, el grueso de la novela se centra es sus pensamientos y reflexiones, alargando páginas y páginas cada escena, aunque sea un breve encuentro. Pero como la autora usa ...more
Reynje

Lena and Alex, if this is true love you’re selling – I’m afraid that I am just not buying it.

And essentially, there lies the heart of Delirium: the human capacity to love, in a world where this particular emotion is viewed as a disease and is being clinically excised by the government. Our protagonists, an “uncured” and an “invalid” respectively, create the crux of the story when they commit the unthinkable, and “fall in love”.

The issues that prevented me from wholly enjoying Delirium
Ceilidh
Jul 01, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
While the dystopian YA craze has been heavily promoted and much talked about this year, it has arguably not met the extremely high expectations placed upon it by publishers and readers. Sales have been mixed with only a couple making it into the New York Times bestsellers list – “Matched” by Ally Condie, the recently released “Divergent” by Veronica Roth and Lauren Oliver’s “Delirium”, the first in a planned trilogy (as are the previously mentioned books.) It’s also worth noting that all three b ...more
TheCrazyWorldOfABookLover
DNF/Shelving this book because I have been told by trustworthy sources this series has probably the worst ending in history. I read the first few chapters and was intrigued but not entirely impressed. But I am NOT reading three books to be disappointed by a crappy ending.

NOPE.

After curiosity got the best of me, I asked why the ending was so bad. I was told, and after hearing it? Fuck that =D

photo 48689-uh-uh-nope-fuck-no-i-m-out-bitch-toodles_zpsq2syzutj.gif
Steph Su
I dreaded this happening. DELIRIUM had been built up so much almost a whole year before its publication date that I wondered what I was going to do if I did not like it as much as the majority of other YA readers did. But I can’t deny that it wasn’t the book for me…and I’ll try to explain why.

DELIRIUM is an impeccably crafted novel, and Lauren Oliver has a beautiful way with words. Still, those do very little for me if I cannot believe and invest in the essentials of the story and world…starting
YA Buddy Readers'...: Delirium Series By Lauren Oliver - Restarting September 20th 2017 253 343 Sep 09, 2017 02:53AM
Challenge Corner: Delirium Series - Starting September 20th 1 3 Aug 22, 2017 12:15PM
HMSA Summer Reading: Delirium 1 2 Aug 21, 2017 04:56PM
Drop Everything A...: Delirium 4 100 Apr 24, 2017 04:27PM
Retos Literarios ...: Delirium 2 11 Apr 16, 2017 07:57PM
  • Outside In (Insider, #2)
  • Fever (The Chemical Garden, #2)
  • Prized (Birthmarked, #2)
  • UnWholly (Unwind, #2)
  • Blood Red Road (Dust Lands, #1)
  • Awaken (Awaken, #1)
  • XVI (XVI, #1)
  • The Star Dwellers (The Dwellers, #2)
  • Desires of the Dead (The Body Finder, #2)
  • Breaking Point (Article 5, #2)
  • Masque of the Red Death (Masque of the Red Death, #1)
  • Outpost (Razorland, #2)
  • Pure (Pure, #1)
  • The Dark and Hollow Places (The Forest of Hands and Teeth, #3)
  • Roar and Liv (Under the Never Sky, #0.5)
  • Shine (Shade, #3)
  • All These Things I've Done (Birthright, #1)
  • This is Not a Test (This is Not a Test #1)
Lauren Oliver is the cofounder of media and content development company Glasstown Entertainment, where she serves as the president of production. She is also the New York Times bestselling author of the YA novels Replica, Vanishing Girls, Panic, and the Delirium trilogy: Delirium, Pandemonium, and Requiem, which have been translated into more than thirty languages. The film rights to both Replica ...more
More about Lauren Oliver...

Delirium (3 books)
  • Pandemonium (Delirium, #2)
  • Requiem (Delirium, #3)