Start by marking “Shadows (Lux, #0.5)” as Want to Read:
Shadows (Lux, #0.5)

Shadows

(Lux #0.5)

4.15  ·  Rating details ·  32,690 ratings  ·  2,818 reviews
The last thing Dawson Black expected was Bethany Williams. As a Luxen, an alien life form on Earth, human girls are…well, fun. But since the Luxen have to keep their true identities a secret, falling for one would be insane.

Dangerous. Tempting. Undeniable.

Bethany can’t deny the immediate connection between her and Dawson. And even though boys aren’t a complication she want
Published February 21st 2012 by Entangled Publishing (first published February 20th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Shadows, please sign up.
Bubbles241 no, no, absolutely not! i read it after opal (just cause i didn't know of it's existence), and honestly, i think it's the best placement for it. eithe…moreno, no, absolutely not! i read it after opal (just cause i didn't know of it's existence), and honestly, i think it's the best placement for it. either that or after onyx, i think is fine. (less)
Llinwey
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

·  32,690 ratings  ·  2,818 reviews

Start your review of Shadows (Lux, #0.5)
Jennifer Armentrout
Dec 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
It amazes me how quickly things go up on goodreads. Anyway, writing this was a treat
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
Thank goodness I read the other books first 🖤
Blacky *Romance Addict*
Apr 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Blacky *Romance Addict* by: Vishous * suit me up & tie me down *

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

When she nodded, he bent down, pressing his head against her forehead. “Seriously though, I want this—I want you.” The earlier awkwardness was gone from his voice. He was all intent and purpose now. “More than I’ve ever wanted anything.”

This was an uber-sweet and heartbreaking prequel novella about Daemon's brother Dawson, and how his love for Bethany changed everything.
I won't say much because this one is short and I'd spoil it for everyone :(

How I liked it

Dawson and Bethany were great, and
Rachel Reads Ravenously

I've been doing some catch up on all of my JLA novellas and stories. This is one I've always meant to read but never got around to. Shadows is the prequel novella to Obsidian, in which we get the story of Daemon's twin brother Dawson, and his love Bethany.

This was a very sweet and fast read, I love JLA's heroes, mean or nice they are all perfect to me LOL. Glad to get some background on these two characters because in a way it makes you understand more where Daemon is coming from in
Aestas Book Blog
Oct 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
4.5+ stars!

Ok, seriously, this YA series has me HOOKED !!!! Like woah hooked! I feel like I could easily devour ten of these books in a sitting! I’m totally and completely in LOVE!!

K, first off, very important but this book should be read AFTER Obsidian. I repeat, READ Obsidian FIRST !!!!! Even though its the prequel, trust me, everything will make a lot more sense if you read it after. You won’t be missing anything, I promise. Just because these events came first, doesn’t mean they should
Eunice
*Initial thoughts after reading:

Oh god, I think I might cry. This was so heartbreaking. But this gave light and more understanding about Daemon's attitude and actions towards Katy in Obsidian. If I could just jumped into the story and help them, I really would. Haha! I have so many theories coming up on my mind now and I'm also so in the mood to re-read Obsidian!

*Final Thoughts: (This went more like my review for both Shadows and my second round of Obsidian. Teehee!)

This was a wonderful and hea
Sophia Triad
The tragic story of Luxen Dawson Black and human Bethany Williams.
I have already read the main books in the series, so I knew how this novel ends. Still it was nice seeing Dawson and Bethany falling in love no matter their cultural differences and the negative comments and actions by their family and friends.

Dawson is a sensitive sweetheart and he absolutely knows what he wants.
Bethany is quite nice. The book made me understand her better. She is ready to fight for her love.

Daemon is the old gr
Steph Sinclair

Actual rating: 3.5 stars

Usually I don't like reading novellas. I find that I have a harder time connecting with the characters with such few pages. So I was surprised that by the time I read the last page of Shadows I found myself missing Dawson and Bethany. Perhaps it's because I devoured Shadows right after completing Obsidian. I'm not sure. Or maybe it's because despite Dawson and Bethany's absence thus far in the series, I can still feel that they play a much bigger role than perviously real
~Tina~
*drools at the cover* Image and video hosting by TinyPic

For the love of all Aliens! I loved this book!!

For those of you who know me already know that I'm a HUGE fan of Jennifer L. Armentrout. She is such a brilliant author and I simply can't get enough of her stories.

I've been looking forward to Shadows ever since I found out it was coming our way. Not only was I thrilled to see Daemon and Dee again, but I've always been mighty curious about Dawson Black who fell in love with his human girl, Bethany Williams.
This is his sto
Emer (A Little Haze)
Oh I am so disappointed by this prequel novella to the Lux series… although I guess I should not be surprised! I was always kinda nervous about reading this and sadly it seems my fears have come to fruition.

This story focuses on Dawson and Bethany… who are a cute couple… but they are no match for Daemon and Katy!!
Where Damon and Katy are all prickly at the start of their relationship and zinging with chemistry…and with banter to die for….oh the banter…. *sighs*….
Well Dawson and Bethany… they
Nicole
Nov 28, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: ya, romance, fantasy

I usually don't rate novellas more than 4 stars. And as much as I love the Lux series, I couldn't connect with the characters in this book. Especially Beth. No one is gonna replaces Daemon and Kat, of course. So it was good to see him again, how he was before. I had this unexpected feeling that I missed them and then I was thinking about rereading Obsidian. Which is something I rarely do. I just wish I have read this book before starting the actual series, but it was nice to remember
Rachael Wade
Dec 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing

Kimmy turned on the girl, about to pull a Linda Blair, no doubt.

Okay, so forgive me in advance if this review is completely all over the place and disjointed...but that's what Armentrout's writing does to me. She is positively my favorite YA author as of late, and along with adult romance author E.L. James, she is the only one who can elicit such a strong reaction from me when I read her work. I've said it before, and I'll say it again...the woman has mad skills. Not to mention the kind of humor
Annie Brewer
Gawd.....I love this series. I love Dawson and Daemon. I love Jennifer. Need to get my thoughts in order....review to come!

OKAY, I think I have had enough time to gather my thoughts so I can write my review for this. It wont be as long as my other reviews because I have so much to say but don't want to "spoil" anything for those that have not gotten to it yet! So here goes.....

SO, yay!!! I was so glad to see Daemon and Dee again! I've especially missed Daemon like SO MUCH!!!!! Ever since I foun
Karla

photo dc5fac36-bab8-4892-bc28-2ea677e70c8e_zps74b30dd4.jpg

5 Stars! DAWSON...delicious!

Okay, I get it now, I see what's so appealing about this series and Shadows showed me the way. My hope is that eventually Daemon reveals some of the same personality traits as his brother Dawson, and is just hiding them, because he's protecting his family and can't let down his guard. I read Obsidian first and struggled with Daemon and Katy's relationship, but Dawson and Bethany represent what young love is all about. They made my heart flutter. Fingers crossed that w
Jaz
Feb 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Jaz by: Jasmine
Let us all just take a minute to thank the author for this lovely, sexy as hell, drool worthy COVERRRR!
Ughhh that face, those eyes, the hair..... no I'm not drooling! I'm losing my mind.
I've always had a thing for Daemon, but Dawson is hell of a romantic.

description

"3.5 ALIEN BABY DAWSOLECIOUS STARS" (Dawsolecious= Dawson+Delicious)
descriptiondescriptiondescriptiondescriptiondescriptiondescriptiondescriptiondescriptiondescription

This was the first book I read in the 3rd POV which makes it a big deal for me. I didnt hate it, but I didnt quite enjoy it. The only thing that made me finish this book wa
Maria
Dec 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I finished Shadows last night I just i was not in a an emotional condition to come online and say or write something. In fact i didn’t stop thinking about it not even the next day and the evening too.

If you are not familiar with the Obsidian (Lux, #1) the first book in the series since Shadows (Lux, #0.5) is the pre sequel book here is the chance to suck into the world that Jennifer L. Armentrout creates…

If you are familiar with the series like me well you know the deal.. It was fantastic and i
Sheryl C. Nash
Duh..... Like I would or could give this book ANYTHING other than 5 stars!!!
Suzanne
Feb 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
This got me interested in this series for sure! Now to finish a few other books then I can get to reading this series. I really enjoyed the story and also getting to sneak look and feel of the characters. Sounds like it will be a very entertaining series.

My quick and simple overall: prequel to what I hope I will enjoy as much as many of my Goodreads buddies!
mina
↠2.5

After reading this I have to say that the thing that happened at the end of Obsidian lost its interesting factor a little, but I’m still intrigued by it. It was interesting to meet Dawson and Bethany, however, their love felt insta-lovey perhaps because it's a novella.
☆ Sammy ☆彡
(view spoiler)

5 Stars!

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

This novella is a prequel to Obsidian, the first book in the Lux series. I don't want to give too much away, but this story is basically about forbidden love and the consequences that can occur. It is about a girl named Bethany, who moves to a new town where
Tiffani
Apr 30, 2012 rated it did not like it
This is the only book by JLA I don't like. At All. I don't like Bethany, I don't like Dawson and I don't like the plot.

Bethany is just not my type of girl - girly, innocent, weak, damsel in distress-y. And honestly, how fucked up do you have to be to be okay with your BF being an alien in less than 5 minutes.

Dawson was okay, though not as great as Daemon, until the point he fell in 'love' with Bethany. Even I, a hopeless romantic, would not be so selfish as to betray my family and friends and en
Terri ♥ (aka Mrs. Christian Grey)
Quick review

Cover: Hotness
Rating PG–13 .
Thumbs Up 4.5
Overall: Really Good Read.
Characters: Love them.
Plot: Totally original.
Page Turner: Yes.
Series Cont.? Yes.
Recommend Yes.
Book Boyfriend: DAWSON!

SUMMARY

This is a novella, but it packed a punch. I really loved DAWSON. We got to see more of the other Luxens. I still didn’t feel much for Daemon. (view spoiler) I found more questions in this one though
Elena Salvatore
Before Damon met Katy, before they fell in love and before all hell broke loose, there was another epic love story between a Luxen and an Human.
This novella is a snippet of Dawson and Beth's love story before they got imprisoned by Daedalus.
How they met, how they fell in love, how Beth turned into a hybrid and what really happened that night they got captured.

You don't have to read this novella to read the Lux series. It isn't important for the series and everything that we need to know about Da
★★Sara Lizzy★★
BR with Jo and Sammy
(This was a re-read for me.)

5 Stars!

Shadows is a prequel to Obsidian and tells the story of Dawson Black and Bethany Williams. This book also has in it Dawson's siblings, Daemon and Dee (they are triplets) as well as other supporting characters in the story. The story is told from Dawson's and Bethany's POV and occasionally Daemon's POV.

Dawson is a Luxen (an alien) and he falls in love with a human. Shadows is a novella about an instant attraction, a love that is frowned upon
Erin
Jan 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: EVERYONE!
Well, hello Dawson, so very nice to finally meet you!! This novella was an awesome short read, adding to what is already an awesome series!!

Dawson makes up one third of the Daemon/Dawson/Dee triplets, the beautiful alien siblings that live in a small town in West Virginia. In Obsidian we didn't get to meet him because he was already gone, either taken by the DOD or killed by the Arum. In Shadows, we get to hear his story, before that awful moment that still torments his family.

Dawson was so muc
Duchess Nicole
This is one of the BEST prequels I've read. Not only is it a story all on its own, but the stupid cliffhanger ending left me screaming inside my own head. Surely, SURELY this can be explained!!! Surely, SURELY that did not just happen! What's sad is that I read Obsidian first, then realized that there was a prequel. So naturally I assumed that some of the unanswered questions I had regarding Bethany and Dawson would be answered. What this novella did was make me fall in love with them, and then ...more
Souma BookAddict
May 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: novella, read-in-2015

“Finish that sentence and i will stab you in the eye with the spork Bethany's about to pull out of her bag for her apple sauce. And she'd be very upset if i got her spork all messed up. she's rather fond of the thing.
...
"A spork,” Dee said, grabbing her bag. “What is a spork?”
Bethany’s mouth dropped open. “You’ve never seen one?”
“Dee doesn’t get out much,” Dawson replied, grinning.
“Shut up.” Dee pulled out the fork and spoon in one and smiled. “I’ve never seen one of these! Ha. This is s
Joy (joyous reads)
Dec 11, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: in-my-kindle
I simply couldn't resist reading this. I spent the entire morning NOT working. I'm bad, I know! But..but...it's Dawson and Daemon...and gah!

This gives us a background story as to what happened to Dawson and Bethany. We all know that they disappered without a trace prior to Obsidian, so no suprise as to the eventual ending of Shadows. I kind of half dreaded/anticipated reading this just for the very reason. I dreaded knowing Dawson's demise. At the same time, I think it was pretty cool to see wh
Stacia (the 2010 club)
Too. Frickin. Cute.

This prequel to the Lux series answered a few questions of mine that cropped up while reading Obsidian, yet also left one big question hanging. I don't buy that anything is final, no matter how much everything would appear as such. The DOD knows too much imo. I'm guessing that I'm not the only one feeling this way.

Dawson, the "good" twin to his temperamental other half Daemon (who was the main character in Obsidian) was a pleasant enough character. He was easy enough to like b
Cate
Mar 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Rating: 4 OUT OF THIS WORLD STARS

I loved this book so much, like, SO FREAKING MUCH WORDS CANNOT EVEN EXPLAIN. Miss J.L. Armentrout (aka the author), made an amazing job writing this precuel to Obsidian.
I believe it is really neccesary to read this, like I understand people say you don't have to, that's not crucial, but come on! If you read this awesome short book, you'll totally understand why Deamon hate so much humans, or why he tried so hard to keep Katy away from Dee.

“how could he explain w
The Twin Obsessio...: Daemon or Dawson??? 1001 258 Jul 08, 2019 05:41AM
Goodreads Librari...: Page Count Incorrect - Shadows, by Jennifer L. Armentrout 3 189 May 02, 2017 05:58PM
#JLAJuly: Shadows (#0.5) 1 3 Jul 02, 2016 10:51AM
The Twin Obsessio...: Bethany or Katy? 26 168 Jun 06, 2016 10:14PM
YA Buddy Readers'...: Shadows by Jennifer L Armentrout --> starting 18th May 2015 11 14 May 17, 2015 03:32AM
Brenton Thwaites as Daemon/Dawson Black!! 22 175 Oct 30, 2014 09:47PM
Jennifer L Arment...: Prequel - Shadows 269 151 Sep 12, 2013 06:18PM

• Origin
  • Trust in Me (Wait for You, #1.5)
  • Be with Me (Wait for You, #2)
  • Wait for You (Wait for You, #1)
  • Dream of You (Wait for You, #4.5; 1001 Dark Nights, #21)
  • The Proposal (Wait for You, #2.5)
  • Fall with Me (Wait for You, #4)
  • Scorched (Frigid, #2)
  • Fire in You (Wait for You, #6)
  • Stay with Me (Wait for You, #3)
  • Tempting the Bodyguard (Gamble Brothers, #3)
  • Sweet Reckoning (Sweet, #3)
  • Frigid (Frigid, #1)
  • Sweet Peril (Sweet, #2)
  • Sweet Evil (Sweet, #1)
  • Opposition
  • Sweet Temptation (Sweet, #4)
  • Existence (Existence, #1)

To email me, please use the below addy.
jenniferlarmentrout@live.com

# 1 New York Times and # 1 International Bestselling author Jennifer lives in Charles Town, West Virginia. All the rumors yo

Lux (5 books)