Start by marking “Somewhere Else, or Even Here” as Want to Read:
Somewhere Else, or Even Here

Somewhere Else, or Even Here

A. J. Ashworth captures, with honesty, the collisions that can happen between human beings, whether it's a couple facing up to life after the death of a child or lovers broken apart by infidelities either real or imagined. She explores those moments of realisation, those turning points, which will continue to resonate throughout the lives of her characters - those people w ...more
Published November 2011 by Salt Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Somewhere Else, or Even Here, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Somewhere Else, or Even Here

Start your review of Somewhere Else, or Even Here
Alan
Nov 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: short-stories
everybody - well a couple of people I rate - is raving about this book, so I shall be getting it.
Have now got it, and about to read. Think I've read the first story in Warwick Review..
..very enjoyable. More later..

I enjoyed these stories a lot, they are all beautifully composed and get you into the heads of the protagonists quickly and without fuss. These varied from girls on the brink of adolescence and boys with an arson fixation to mothers grieving lost babies and an exploited house painter.
kylajaclyn
2 1/2 stars

Why do people have to write about harming animals? It makes me very sad. It took me out of this book of stories, which I found just okay anyway. But I'm not the greatest fan of short stories. I did like the one about the cult. But I wish it wouldn't have opened with a story about hurting a dog, because it put me off immediately.
Dec 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I did read parts of this book last year and first was introduced to AJ Ashworth's work when I was in Blackburn. Then I bought my own copy and meandered through the stories I didn't know.

Anyway, preamble over.

The influence of astronomy seems to connect these often darkly beautiful stories. Sometimes this is more overt, such as with Rings of Saturn and Zero Gravity, sometimes more subtly, in the theme of connections. Zero Gravity is one of my favourites (though there are many) in the collection.
Laura Besley
Nov 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I think the best word to describe this collection is struggle. There is some form of struggle within every short story, whether it be struggling to cope with the loss of a child, with the deterioration of a spouse, or with finding that people or the world around you are just not what you thought they were. Beautifully written, Ashworth quickly builds up an entire world within each story which is compelling throughout.

For an interview with the author, please go to my blog: http://laurabesley.blo
Rachel Connor
Feb 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
A first collection from a talented writer. The worlds portrayed by these stories are diverse but wonderfully conjured. The style is spare, characters beautifully etched. Ashworth draws on an interest in astronomy, which runs like a thread throughout. Powerful, intense and linguistically dense, these stories linger long after the pages have been closed.
Armel Dagorn
Oct 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Very good collection, full of simple, stricking images.
Daniel
May 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads, fiction
Quite an enjoyable collection of stories.
Cheryl
Ilweran
rated it it was ok
Mar 25, 2015

• Wildlife
A. J. Ashworth is a prize-winning writer whose debut collection of short stories, 'Somewhere Else, or Even Here', was published in November 2011 after she won Salt Publishing's Scott Prize.

She has previously had stories published in magazines such as Tears in the Fence, The Warwick Review, The View From Here and more. She has also been longlisted/shortlisted in competitions including the Willesden