Start by marking “The Earl and The Fairy, Volume 02” as Want to Read:
The Earl and The Fairy, Volume 02

The Earl and The Fairy, Volume 02 (The Earl and The Fairy #2)

4.19  ·  Rating details ·  2,048 Ratings  ·  75 Reviews
Lydia can see fairies, but can she tell who the real villain is?

Lydia Carlton is a fairy doctor,one of the few people with the ability to see the magical creatures who share our world. During one of her rare trips to London to visit her father, Lydia’s quiet life is suddenly transformed when she is rescued from kidnappers by a mysterious young man!

Edgar and his small band
Published June 5th 2012 by VIZ Media LLC (first published May 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Earl and The Fairy, Volume 02, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Earl and The Fairy, Volume 02

Karissa
Apr 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was another fun book in this series. This is a cute story that is an easy and fun read. I enjoyed it. There are four volumes in The Earl and the Fairy series.

Edgar and Lydia continue on their quest to find the magical sword of the Blue Knight Earl. Lydia still doesn’t trust Edgar but the mystery behind the sword, and the merfolk who protect the island it’s supposed to be on, is too much for her to resist.

The illustration is pretty run of the mill, not bad but not spectacular either. It’s ea
Amy Keeley
Jun 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fans of good fantasy manga, tricksters, stories with bad-boy redemption
Shelves: manga
Volume two continues Edgar and Lydia's quest for the treasured sword battling robbers and traitors. There's a vague sense of tragedy in this volume, though the ending carries on very well.

Edgar turns out to be a good guy after all. No, wait. That's not entirely true. He has the makings of an excellent villain. If it weren't for that darned sense of noblesse oblige (and I mean that in the best sense of the phrase), he'd have already gone to the dark side. In this volume we find out just how devo
Nidah (SleepDreamWrite)
May 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
Pretty cover. So, with this one um, intense is what it was. And yet its quite the page turner. Art was well done here. Story continues where the first one left off of course.
Katie (Kitkatscanread)
May 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Didn't enjoy this as much.
Still good though.
Marie-Josee Larouche
Jan 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This was absolutely amazing! The story just went from being good in the first volume, to impossible to put down for a minute in this volume! Things start getting intense, and secrets and intentions start being revealed, and its just incredibly suspenseful and thrilling to read. The art just makes it even better. I can't wait to get my hands on the next volume!
Nek0 Neha (BiblioNyan)
Sep 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga-shōjo
The second volume of the series continued on with alluring elements of fantasy, adventure, and some bittersweet revelations. The plot progression was on point, while the artwork remained lovely. I felt the ending of this volume would have been a perfect finale for the series, so I am very curious to see how it progresses from this point on. Four and a half fins for this treat.
Miriam
Apr 10, 2015 rated it liked it
Whoa! I was totally not expecting the whole "quest for the sword" plotline to resolve so quickly. I thought they were going to be following those clues for volumes to come.

Cons: not enough Ermine, some kinda weak reasoning.

Pros: Nico plotting with gnomes, Lydia showing more backbone.
Freya
Jan 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
review to come :)
Child960801
Jun 27, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
The fairy doctor and the earl end up on an island where they solve the fairy riddles to get the treasure sword.
Erin H
May 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fairies
This is an enjoyable series and I like all the fairies mentioned. They are still looking for the sword and this volume was a little darker than I thought it would be. I really liked the ending and am going to continue this series.
Sara Story
May 14, 2016 rated it it was ok
The search for the sword of the Blue Knight Earl continues in Mizue Tani’s second volume of The Earl and the Fairy. Lydia, Edgar, Ermine, and Raven, travel to Manan Island in search of the sword perused by Huxley and his men. What they find there is both magical and dangerous, but is Lydia safe and will Edgar become the true Earl?

These questions are the pinnacle of this book. The plot is magical and suspenseful. The riddles are based in lore and clever--helping the readers take part in this gran
Judy (Geeky Reading)
Mar 11, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: own
~3-3.5/5
[Also available at my blog.]

The artwork in this series is really pretty. That and the fact it’s from VIZ is what made me first pick it. It has a really gorgeous look, and a maybe wistful, airy feel to it, even if the plot isn’t so. I am enjoying this series so far, but I would like to be more excited for it. It’s not even all that slow, it just… doesn’t have me anticipating the next book. Yet, hopefully.

In this volume, the group is still looking for that sword, and they’re staying at som
Rachel A.
Nov 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
Sophia F
Oct 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga
The Earl and the Fairy is a manga series with just the storyline I've been looking for. The main (or co-main) character makes the reader have conflicting thoughts for if they are really "evil" or not. The character's intentions are not openly revealed, (which matches this manga perfectly), and yet I fall in love with them.
I have to admit, I love my bad characters. Especially the one's who you sometimes think have good intentions and sometimes they don't. Edgar is that character.
Who doesn't love
Theresa
Feb 19, 2017 rated it liked it
Cute!
Dani - Perspective of a Writer
This concludes the volume 1-2 story arc of I assume the first adventure of Edgar and Lydia. It seems like a novel that was made into a manga. In that way this volume is very bizarre. At the same time I love Edgar and Lydia and how they were developed as a sort of long of the night and her the queen of light. I didn't particularly love the loss of the servant or the use of the father. Like I said they were rather used like from a novel that a manga. We were presented with lots of questions for co ...more
Douglas Cootey
May 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebook, manga, fantasy
The quest for the Treasure Sword finds a satisfying conclusion in this volume. I especially enjoyed the solving of the riddle to the sword's location. The door that is not a door was a nice touch.

“…Set me free.”
(view spoiler)

We also saw the death of a character—a sequence that was beautifully rendered by Ayuko. The scene was as poignant as it was confusing since we never quite learned what that character's motivation was, but she died so prettily, and the story moved on.

Unfortu
Eden
Jan 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
They've reached the island, where they will find the sword that once belong to the Blue Knight. But Lydia's still unsure about Edgar. Does he care for her at all, or is he really just using her to get the sword? She doesn't know, but plans to do her job as a fairy doctor.

Volume two picks up on the island that they finally reached. Edgar isn't so mysterious now, as more of his story has been revealed and why he is exactly after the sword. Maybe he's not such a bad guy after all, but I still find
Sarah Maddaford
While this is an interesting look at British fairy tales and mermaids, it is also intriguing just because you want to know what Edgar's past was to make him the way he is. He doesn't act like a normal person in many situations although Raven is much less capable of behaving humanely. In truth, when I watched part of the anime, it was part of the reason I couldn't decide whether he was lying about being the Blue Knight Earl.

In addition to the romantic tension between Lydia and Edgar, Ermine gets
Miss Ryoko
I feel like a lot happened in this volume, and while I understand it's a manga adaptation of a novel, perhaps they could have split up this part of the storyline between two mangas. It just felt a little rushed to me.

Still enjoying the story, and was a little surprised to see the main storyline already culminated and there are two volumes left. So I'm curious to see what the second part of the story will be about.
Joss
Sep 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
September 2013: 5 Stars
The plot thickens and the tension grows! We learn new things about our characters and their companions, and Lydia's father finally gets wind of what's going on (sort of).
But now... GAHH EDGAR'S INTENTIONS ARE EVEN MORE CONFUSING!!! What's he playing at? What's going to happen to Lydia, now that she's become a recognized Fairy Doctor?
Spoiler Alert:
Also, one last question: why did Ermine try to take Lydia over the edge with her. Was it really because she wanted to kill her b
❅ (t.c) (hiatus: school)
Ehhhhh, not a fan of Edgar right now. He was giving confusing messages to Lydia and Ermine, and that was kind of annoying. For a smart guy he can't seem to make his mind for big decisions. As well, not much of the past is spoken or explained. 4 volumes as a manga is so-so, as I know there are 32 light novel volumes (which I would 100000% read if it was available in english :c) The search for the Blue Sword ended so fast... haha in 2 volumes, (view spoiler) ...more
Kate
Aug 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
Another volume with our heroine fairy doctor, Lydia, trying to piece together the clues of the Blue Knight Earl and that of Edgar (who may or may not be a descendant). It felt like in this volume though many riddles were solved they were done in a tight space of time here. The original soft novels must have been more spread out in larger volumes. This graphic novel version must have condensed several to incorporate all the actions that occurred. This made parts harder to decipher such as who exa ...more
Marianna
Oct 23, 2013 rated it liked it
3.5 out of 5
So, I feel like I'm being fair to this book, giving it 3.5 stars. This isn't a huge manga masterpiece. I found parts of the plot very confusing, and other character's motivations bewildering at times. And it suffers a bit from having a main character who is exceedingly kind and passive, even to those who are trying to kill her.
But, despite that, this is a really fun read. Lydia grows to have a backbone in this volume! The other characters are fleshed out some. And the art is just SO
colleen the convivial curmudgeon
We learn more about Edgar's (and Ermine's and Raven's) dark past, still uncertain of where he falls in grey scale of morality.

We also get to see Lydia come to the forefront a bit more with her Fairy Doctor skills.

Had an easier time making out who's who with the art this time, and following things from right to left, though the weird sentence breaks are still, well, weird.

I'm enjoying the story and how it's developing, though I feel like some things are overly rushed. There is a note saying that
Ceejay
Oct 03, 2015 rated it liked it
The story of the Earl and the Fairy Doctor continues in volume two of this Manga. It's very enjoyable, and, unlike most Manga, takes place in Victorian England. There's a big surprise at the ending of this volume that I never saw coming.My only complaint with this series is that the conversations don't sound Victorian. I'm thinking that this may have something to do with the fact that it was translated from Japanese. But then again, I don't know if most people who read Manga are aware of the Vic ...more
Jeffrey
Lydia, Edgar, Raven, and Ermine race to Manan Island, one of the Earl's estates, in hopes of finding the Treasure Sword and the Star Sapphire, the symbols of the Earl's title. But the prizes are hidden and Huxley remains in pursuit. Can our heroes find the treasure and survive? And when it is called for, will Edgar reveal his true colors in sacrificing Lydia?

Pretty much any experienced reader of the genre can guess how this all shakes out. Suffice to say it does it adequately but not excitingly.
Noelia
Jan 03, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: lecturas-2015
Me ha gustado mucho mas que el primero por el simple hecho de que me he llevado mas de una sorpresa a ver eran obviedades en el anime pero me ha gustado que lo desarrollaran un poco mas en el manga lo único que no me ha gustado es lo buena que es Lydia, quiero decir ¡de buena es tona! vale que el conde está muy bueno pero seamos realistas ¡nadie en su sano juicio se sacrifica por un completo desconocido! pero ella es especial sabiendo que pueden morir se arriesga, vamos hombre en eso estaba pens ...more
Lissibith
Dec 27, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, manga, romance
I never would have thought I'd read about more different kinds of fairies in a manga than in anything European I've read, but there you have it. Volume two continues in much the same vein as the first - I still love that the "Earl" of the title is not quite a good guy or a bad guy, but a determined and focused guy who could make decisions either way.

The art continues to be very pretty, but the pacing seems a bit off. That, and some fo the stuff just plain didn't make good sense. It felt like rea
  • Library Wars: Love & War, Vol. 7 (Library Wars: Love & War, #7)
  • Stepping on Roses, Volume 2
  • Dawn of the Arcana, Vol. 03 (Dawn of the Arcana, #3)
  • Black Bird, Vol. 14 (Black Bird, #14)
  • Lizzie Newton: Victorian Mysteries Vol. 1
  • Angelic Layer: Omnibus Edition, Vol. 1
  • Alice in the Country of Hearts, Vol. 2 (Alice in the Country of Hearts, #3-4)
  • A Devil and Her Love Song, Vol. 3 (A Devil and Her Love Song, #3)
  • Captive Hearts, Vol. 04 (Captive Hearts, #4)

The Earl and The Fairy (4 books)
  • The Earl and The Fairy, Volume 01