Start by marking “The Crossbones (Skeleton Creek, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Crossbones (Skeleton Creek, #3)

The Crossbones

(Skeleton Creek #3)

Strange things happen in Skeleton Creek — and when they do, Ryan writes them down and Sarah captures them on video. Now, the spookiness is spreading, and the mystery is going to take them far beyond Skeleton Creek — into places both unexpectedly sinister and spine-chillingly haunted.
Kindle Edition
Published (first published January 1st 2010)

Start your review of The Crossbones (Skeleton Creek, #3)
Adam James
Nov 10, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
Patrick Carman is a genius for discovering a new way for kids to be hooked into reading. That being said, of the Skeleton Creek series, this is so far the weakest offering.

Plot-wise, there's very little development done from Ryan's perspective. It's kind of shocking that the author of an adventure and mystery story decided to write from the perspective of someone who's not adventuring or exploring a mystery. So, until Sarah's video updates, the reader is just as oblivious as Ryan is...and it's
Ezzieh Hassan
Nov 29, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
***Spoiler Alert*** Do you like scary stories? If you do then this is a series you would enjoy. Skeleton Creek The Crossbones #3 is a horror and adventure book that is very strange. I really enjoyed reading this because I read it at night so it got to me. I had chills and as I read I became more interested. The main thing I liked about this book was that there is a website that you can go on and it gives you a different password each time to show you a video of what happened in the part of the ...more
Ben
Oct 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My Book Reveiw

The Crossbones, by Patrick Carman, is a mysttery book about a teenage kid named Ryan, who recently discoverd millions in gold along with is best friend Sarah. In the previous book, the fake ghost of old joe bush dropped an envelope containing a puzzle. As Sarah drives to film camp she makes stops at the places indicated by the puzzles and finds hidden information about The mysterious secret society called the crossbones. The main Character Ryan is jumpy, and kind of wimpy, but he
Julie Suzanne
In my review of Ghost in the Machine, I rejoiced in the fact that the Skeleton Creek series was resolved and happily finished. I loved those books, don't get me wrong, but I hate reaching the end of a novel to find a cliffhanger, especially when a sequel is not yet published. So imagine my surprise to find a third book in this seemingly finished series. Every loose end was neatly tied up, so how could there be another book? If one could ignore the obvious back-stepping and stumbling around that ...more
Nataly
May 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh my god, I started reading this in the beginning of the school year but than I stopped like at the 40 page to give it to my friend. I got it back Friday and I've already finished with it!!!

When I first starting reading it I remember feeling that it was boring. And it was, just in the beginning though. I think that's why I stopped so early. But I should have made myself keep reading farther before stopping. The book itself is basically a documentary of Ryan's life in Skeleton Creek, while his
Stevie Oberg
Oct 05, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have major issues with how Patrick Carman has broken up the story line, honestly it would have made more sense to put the first two books into one volume in two parts. The same concept can be applied here. I feel like the ending was neither much of a cliffhanger nor much of an ending. There were too many loose ends and not enough suspense, which even the first book, Skeleton Creek, succeeded in.

When you come to the end of a novel knowing that there is going to be a sequel but not anticipating
Sesana
The Skeleton Creek series has a gimmick: the story is told partly in the actual books and partly as a series of web videos. The first two, which I read when they were first released, were pretty good for teen horror-lite, and seemed complete. Obviously, they must have been pretty successful, because now there are two more that continue with a series that seemed over.

Now the story has moved beyond the town of Skeleton Creek. Sarah, the adventurous half of our slightly-less-than-dynamic duo, is
Laureal Risner
Dec 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
With the help of Sarah, Ryan figures out who the crossbones are, but not without difficulty. The clues that are left send the two teenagers on a wild scavenger hunt to get answers as to exactly who the Crossbones are. Ryan discovers a deep dark secret that he could never believe! As with the other Skeleton Creek books, Ryan continues writing in his journal and Sarah keeps uploading videos of the trip she is on.
Alia
Aug 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites
I'm pretty sure this book was shorter than the last two. I flew through it , read it in a car ride back home. I actually liked it better then the first two. the pacing seemed better.

I am 80% sure I read part, if not all, of this book before as it seemed very familiar at certain parts. but, it still suprised(surprised? this word looks wrong) me at parts, especially the ending. I LOVED IT. gonna start the next one as soon as I can ...
Becky
Sep 20, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
Not as good as the other two. Sarah and Ryan are able to make some pretty amazing deductions based on very little - frustrating sometimes. Also too unrealistic - no parents would let their 17 year old DAUGHTER drive all the way across the USA by herself. It didn't make any sense to have Sarah leave Skeleton Creek.
Kellis Wiley
in this final story, Ryan and Sarah must find out the secret of the crossbones who are they. What are they?
Kong Yang
Kong Yang
October 13, 2016
PAP English 10
1. Author’s Background
The author of Skeleton Creek The Crossbones is Patrick Carman. Patrick Carman is the award-winning author of many books for young adults and children. Since Patrick Carman writes young adult books, this probably influenced him to write the Skeleton Creek series, which is a series directed more towards the young adult category.

2. Literary Time Period
The novel Skeleton Creek The Crossbones was published in 2010. This novel can relate
Angela
Jun 09, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
To me, this feels like the first two Skeleton Creek books did really well, and someone decided that it needed to be extended. The story wrapped up nicely in book 2, so what is going on in book 3 that requires Ryan and Sarah to continue putting themselves in danger?

Also, you're going to need book 4 again, because even though this one ends more satisfactorily than book 1, it still has a cliffhanger edge to it.

My students had strong reactions to this book, so I'll let them speak for themselves:

I
Loumarie
I would give the book a 3 1/2 just for the twist of an ending, which I certainly appreciated. I like the air of mystery created with the videos. They didn't rely on jump scares, but more on the sense of dread and the fear of being caught. I thought the videos really captures those elements quite well.
My biggest issue with this book series is the main character's dialogue. The author really should try talking to actual teenagers in order to understand how they speak to one another or how they
Karley CC. 6 Carron-Campbell
The Crossbones by Patrick Carman is the captivating novel about the continuation of books Skeleton Creek and Ghost in the Machine. Ryan and Sarah don’t feel safe with Sarah now living in Boston and Ryan still at Skeleton Creek they seem to be drifting apart. If only there was something to bring them back together. Fortunately for them… Or should I say unfortunately for them there was something the envelope. Patrick Carman is a genius for incorporating videos into his books. Every few chapters ...more
BrandonL
Jan 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
REVIEW of Skeleton Creek, The Crossbones, by Patrick Carman, published in 2010, is a mystery/horror fiction novel. In this story it can be a little obsessive because once you start, you don’t want to stop reading. The protagonists Ryan and Sarah are not allowed to talk to each other, so they have to find ways to talk to each other mainly, Ryan. This happens when his dad makes him go on a fishing trip while Sarah is at a graveyard digging a grave. And Ryan has to do this all in a creepy town ...more
Raven Lucero
In middle school, I probably would have loved this book a lot, especially with its short films and clips. But as an adult, this does read a bit too young, even if the concept is fun and engaging. The only reason I finished it is because it's pretty fast-paced, and the videos are creepy enough that I was engaged. However, the end result of the mystery is pretty disappointing, especially in lieu of how the first two books ended in death or murder (at least from what I can tell from the recaps; I ...more
Nina Niewinski
Bradley Baiz
Oct 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was something that could give you a chill up your spine. This is a book that was fantastic and I give it a big thumbs up. I loved this book and I'm sure most people will love it to because this is a book that I can't define in real words. I loved this book mostly because of the mystery and all of the big cliffhanger. You might say that you hate cliffhangers, but you really love them. This is a book that I rate for mostly sixth graders. So what I is that people should read the series ...more
Debbie
Nov 13, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Skeleton Creek, book 3.

Ryan and Sarah have discovered another Crossbones mystery, this one involving haunted places around the United States. Conveniently, Sarah is able to arrange a road trip to visit all but one and Ryan is left at home, biting his nails, until he gets his own taste of adventure.

The story is tied up fairly neatly at the end, but leaves a hint to more adventures still to come. I can see middle grade readers enjoying this series.
Tommy P
I don't really like this book because it feels really slow and I don't really like mystery books. I recommend this book for anyone who likes mysteries because they try to find a mystery. If you liked the first book or the second book you will like this book because it has a lot to do with the first and second book. Someone or something is following them. Read to find out.
Robert Padgett
Aug 31, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Strange things are happening in Skeleton Creek . . . and Ryan and Sarah are trying to get to the bottom of it. After a weird accident leaves Ryan housebound and forbidden to see Sarah, their investigation takes two tracks: Ryan records everything in his journal, while Sarah uses her videocam to search things out... then emails the clips for Ryan to see.
Even though Ryan and Sarah are not together they still try to find answers to the many questions they still have now Sarah is in school to make
Cesar A. 7a
Sep 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amanda Mic Perkins
This was really cool. I'm a sucker for Gravity Falls style small-town mysteries and secret societies and ghosts. It's fascinating.
♀
Jun 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya
these books are very fun to read. they remind me so much of middle school
Chad Evans
Sep 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Slow, gripping third installment in the Skeleton Creek series. Unlike its two predecessors this one takes a thriller approach and leaves you gripped.
Cody
Dec 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I like the book even though i read the third one i will try to read the first two then the other when i have time. This book is very good.
Zachary L
Mar 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 1-2-week-books
I loved this book but what I didn't like is how it made you piece together all the clues. I know this is how mystery works and this is why I don't like this genre.
Jack
Jan 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
my dick fell off cause of how long i was reading it. its dust no :)
Jack D 8B
Aug 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't have a laptop, but I figured it out with the context clues.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Dark Lord: The Early Years (Dark Lord, #1)
  • Poison
  • Woodsong
  • The Nazi Hunters: How a Team of Spies and Survivors Captured the World's Most Notorious Nazi
  • ジョジョの奇妙な冒険ストーンオーシャン1 囚人番号FE40563空条徐倫[JoJo no Kimyō na Bōken Sutōn'ōshan] (Stone Ocean, #1)
  • Canyons
  • Stone Fox
  • Haunted in Hollywood: The Adventures of Loey Lane
  • Huckle Berry Finn
  • The Unwritten, Vol. 2: Inside Man
I have been a lifelong writer and storyteller. Salem, Oregon is where I spent my formative years and I graduated from Willamette University. After college, I spent a decade living in Portland, Oregon where I worked in advertising, game design, and technology.

I've written young adult and children's books for Scholastic, Little Brown Books For Young Readers and Katherine Tegen Books/ HarperCollins

Skeleton Creek (5 books)
  • Skeleton Creek (Skeleton Creek, #1)
  • Ghost in the Machine (Skeleton Creek, #2)
  • The Raven (Skeleton Creek, #4)
  • The Phantom Room (Skeleton Creek, #5)
“There's something darn funny about an old librarian with a potty mouth.” 8 likes
“There was a time when I thought I turned terrible things over in my mind because I read and wrote too many scary stories. (Note self: start writing about unicorns and bunnies)” 5 likes