Start by marking “Blogging for Creatives: How designers, artists, crafters and writers can blog to make contacts, win business and build success” as Want to Read:

Of the billions of internet users worldwide, a massive 80% are visiting blogs. The blogosphere has become a huge platform for individuals and businesses alike. As well as being essential for creative trades of all kinds--carpenters, photographers, caterers, gardeners and graphic designers to name but a few--blogs can be inspirational and beautiful; becoming hubs for people ...more
Published July 10th 2012 by HOW Books (first published June 4th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Blogging for Creatives, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blogging for Creatives

Start your review of Blogging for Creatives: How designers, artists, crafters and writers can blog to make contacts, win business and build success
Abbie Miller
Nov 09, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I am wavering between two and three stars. I'm a generous soul, so I'll go with three.

This book was pretty. It was chock full of good pictures, screen shots, blurbs from active bloggers, website listings and solid references. It was enjoyable to read and look at.

Here's the flip side: the information was really basic. It was written for a beginner blogger. A lot of the "good" information was about setting up your blog and some beginner-type how-to's. As an established blogger, I was looking for
Teresa McCarthy
Apr 16, 2014 rated it liked it
It's refreshing to read a blogging guide that's not primarily targeting business or marketing specialists. This book is a good starting point for new bloggers, hobby bloggers, and those looking to turn their passion into a career. There's also a lot of food for thought for bloggers looking for inspiration or new challenges.
Jenifer
Jan 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: creativity
very clear how to manual for those who don't have a clue where to start.
Sara
Aug 30, 2012 rated it it was ok
I felt like the entire book was ads for other blogs- not impressed!
Hiatt Zhao
Jul 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
I know about 90-95% of the material in this book so I browsed through it. It did inspire me with some ideas, but like any books on technology, you should just borrow it.
Alexandra Mita
Aug 18, 2015 rated it did not like it
very little information about how to actually keep a good quality blog. half of the content is made up by screen shots from actual blogs
Meg Walck
Nov 02, 2015 rated it did not like it
Carmen Grantham
Jan 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Packed full of information that was really easy to read.

Loved the blog examples that I could then review.
Christine
Jun 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was published in 2012, so some aspects are a bit outdated. However, this book is packed with useful insights and ideas. I'd recommend this to anyone interested in or curious about blogging.
Parka
Nov 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: computer

(More pictures on my blog)

Blogging for Creatives is a helpful starting guide to blogging for those into art, crafting and design. Actually, the book is written in a manner that's applicable to general bloggers as well, just that most examples featured are of art and design, and sometimes cooking.

This book has many helpful tips on blogging and getting up to speed. It assumes no prior knowledge and the instructions are always clear and concise. So the book is great for beginners.

Here's the list of
Mandy
Aug 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Besides the few spelling / grammar / missing words issues (is that because it's a different edition that wasn't edited well?), I really enjoyed this book. Great advice that withstands technology changes, great perspectives and tips from successful bloggers, and a resource I will go to constantly (since I read it for it's purpose - I'm starting / fixing current blogs myself). Yeah yeah, the screenshots were and will become outdated over time, and it is based in the UK (this is the American printe ...more
Onellyantie Chuah
Aug 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Just what I want from a "things about blogging" book!

This book has been recommended by a few bloggers I'm following. I looked for the book, found it and flipped a few pages to see what's inside and what I can learn from this book before buying it. I just need 10 seconds to decide. I bring this book to the cashier.

The book is very well designed and the contents are absolutely informative and useful, with tips from blogging experts. Every internet and blog jargon is explained so that you know wha
Emma Farley
Jul 05, 2017 rated it liked it
I borrowed Blogging for Creatives from the library at work to see if there were handy tips and tricks but I didn’t find it at all useful. This is probably because it’s five years old and a tad outdated (Pinterest had a page and Instagram just a passing paragraph) but it is definitely a good book for newbie bloggers. If you’re starting out and want some good advice all in one place then I highly recommend this book (it covers different platforms, the technical aspects of uploading a post, social ...more
Jessica
Mar 31, 2013 rated it really liked it
A quality book about the specifics of blogging, particularly for those who want to pursue more personal or craft-based blogs rather than commercial blogging. This book is designed both for those just starting out (it walks you through the steps of setting up a Wordpress, Typepad, or Blogger site) and for those who may have a blog but are getting very little traffic. Resources abound in this book.

I don't assume that this book has much staying power, as it will be quickly out of date as new bloggi
Joséphine (Word Revel)
This book is geared more towards readers who are new to blogging. Those who have blogging experience probably won't find much new information reading this book.

Besides the basic introduction to blogging aspects though, Houghton included many reference to various blogs that serve as good examples for the points she was trying to make. I think that is very useful, especially for readers who read the ebook version on their tablets. Reading Blogging for Creatives on my iPad made it really easy to vi
Kelly Lynn Thomas
Feb 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: writing
This is a solid intro to blogging tailored toward artists, photographers, and crafters. It says it's also geared toward writers, but I felt that it would be more helpful for visual artists and musicians than writers (the author does have a book out called Blogging for Writers, so I'm not really faulting her for slacking in the writing department in this book).

It covers selecting a blogging platform, types of posts you can write, how to use photographs in posts, helpful plug-ins and add ons, very
Erin
Jan 01, 2016 added it
Shelves: reviewed, books-i-own
I picked up this book at my favorite place... the bookstore. I have been blogging for a while now but I wanted to learn more about blogging. I found this book to be very informative.

It has great information about how to create a blog, to creating good content and how to plan out your content plan.

It also had information about how to make a video blog. It also talked about how to promote your blog. It also talked about how to use social media to get your blog noticed.

I would recommend this book b
Dannii Elle
Whilst I did benefit from this book, I did feel that the title was a little misleading and that the advice wasn't particularly tailored for creative bloggers. That being said, I found the imagery and blogging examples appealing and above par to the other blogging manuals out there. There seems to be such an abundance of these books around and, after reading quite a few, I am beginning to find them all rather 'samey'. This book stood out from the crowd because of the appealing page format, whic ...more
Lyndsey
Feb 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I was pleasantly surprised by this book. It is difficult to write a book about technology because things change so quickly in that realm and books on the topic tend to become outdated. I didn't find that to be the case for this one. There were lots of great tidbits for starting a blog. This is not *really* a technical book, though it does provide ideas for a number of technical tools. I enjoyed it and will take pieces from it to put into practice as I launch my new blog.
Kate Green
Jul 27, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: academic
A great book if you're a blog virgin, or need a practical guide to blogging. I'm a keen blogger but wanted advice on being an artist online - writing about my work, my influences, and the work of others - and it wasn't forthcoming in the book. However, it was a good read with lots of real-life examples.
AJ
Apr 04, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction, 2015
The problem with books about blogging and the Internet is that they rapidly become dated. This book is only 3 years old but... it looks and feels stale. A lot of pages were dedicated to how to set up blogs using particular platforms (WordPress, Blogger, etc.) which I thought was just a huge waste of space.
Sara
Jan 24, 2013 rated it liked it
The technology changes so fast on line it's risky to print a book on social media how to's. There are some good intro ideas, but you can find most of this online on Mashable or blogs from social media gurus likes Beth Kanter.
Ashleigh
Really handy for would be bloggers and I found the fact that it is aimed at creatives much more relevant and appealing for me personally. I would recommend this to anyone who is unsure about getting started or for people who want to take it more seriously.
Mar 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Skimmed for ideas and facts I wanted.
Michael Mckenzie
Apr 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
Www.thisispixelplanet.tumblr.com. This book has a ton of great info for those looking to get into blogging. ...more
©lukisan athirah espada
have lot's of example in making a creative blog..
Natalie Roberts
Apr 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is easily the most helpful book I've read so far for blogging. I highly recommend it.
Chelsea Parrish
Jul 28, 2015 rated it liked it
Clear, basic, nice ideas, gets you started.
Bre
Oct 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
absolutely a wealth of information. but I felt very overloaded.
Emma Sea
So. Much. Filler.
Perhaps a good book for oldest-olds, who have heard of this "internets" thing but have no personal experience with such.

• Blog, Inc.: Blogging for Passion, Profit, and to Create Community
  • The Marketing Agency Blueprint: The Handbook for Building Hybrid Pr, Seo, Content, Advertising, and Web Firms
  • Grow Your Digital Agency
  • How to Make a Living with Your Writing: Books, Blogging and More
  • Blogging for Bliss: Crafting Your Own Online Journal: A Guide for Crafters, Artists  Creatives of all Kinds
  • What Clients Really Want (And The S**t That Drives Them Crazy): The Essential Insider's Guide for Advertising Agencies on How Account Management Can Create Great Client/Agency Relationships
  • Vlog Like a Boss: How to Kill It Online with Video Blogging
  • Advertising Diversity: Ad Agencies and the Creation of Asian American Consumers
  • A Website That Works: How Marketing Agencies Can Create Business Generating Sites
  • ProBlogger: Secrets for Blogging Your Way to a Six-Figure Income
  • Think Two Products Ahead: Secrets the Big Advertising Agencies Don't Want You to Know and How to Use Them for Bigger Profits
  • How To Start A Digital Agency Guide
  • Create your Digital Marketing Agency - 14 tips to create your Online Marketing Agency
  • Powerhouse
  • The Dentsu Way: Secrets of Cross Switch Marketing from the World's Most Innovative Advertising Agency
  • Agency: Starting a Creative Firm in the Age of Digital Marketing
  • Up the Agency: The Funny Business Of Advertising
  • The Advertising Agency Business
I'm the author of 'Blogging for Creatives' (Ilex 2012) and two more blogging books forthcoming in 2015. I'm also a published and award-winning poet with work in The Rialto, the North, Agenda, Poetry News and other good UK poetry publications.) My pamphlet "The Great Vowel Shift' is available from Telltale Press.

I help authors, poets and all kinds of writers to establish and improve their online so

News & Interviews