Start by marking “Proper Gauge (Wool, #2)” as Want to Read:
Proper Gauge (Wool, #2)

Proper Gauge (Silo #1B)

4.15  ·  Rating details ·  10,509 Ratings  ·  542 Reviews
A cleaning has been performed, and now the silo is without a sheriff. With only one good candidate available, Mayor Jahns and Deputy Mames set off for the Down Deep to recruit her in person. Along the way, they discover much about each other, troubling news about this candidate, and stumble upon fractured alliances that could spell the doom of a silo they've worked long ye ...more
Kindle Edition, 1st Edition, 106 pages
Published November 30th 2011 by Broad Reach Publishing

Kay
Mar 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
WOOL 2 is a solid follow up to Wool. In this story, we get more intimate with the inner politics and economy of the silo, and those who play the game.

Following the events in Wool, the Mayor and her Deputy find themselves without a sheriff. Their chosen replacement resides in the Mechanics department, many floors below the Mayor's office (which is the closest to the surface). The Mayor and the Deputy decide to embark on a quasi journey deep down into the earth on foot to meet the replacement fac
Nataliya
Now we get a glimpse into the politics of the dreadful silo of Wool - usually a boring part of any series, but it was handled quite well in this one. And we get the clearer idea of the "bad guys" in the story. And we get the better idea of the scope of this world, the hugeness of the silo.

The writing remains good in this installment. I did miss the completeness and the haunted feeling of the first novella. However, this is inevitable since, unlike the first one, this one was not originally inte
Stacia (the 2010 club)
Something had happened. A great and powerful thing had fallen out of alignment. And it had nothing to do with her generator.

It won't spoil anything because I just posted the last two sentences of Wool 2 : Proper Gauge, but talk about another ending that knocked me on my ass...

3.5 stars. Let's rewind. For most of the time spent reading, I had my son's voice (from when he was little) in my head saying what he'd always say after he'd caught me and my husband kissing, "EWWWW...OLD PEOPLE LOVE...
Cass
Look I really like this series and will probably give the omnibus edition a 4 star rating. This however is sold as a single book and since I am so sick of books that are not books I am going to review this as if it were a stand alone book.

As an overview of an amazing city that exists inside a silo it is an excellent guide. The book doesn't have a plot and fails to explain one of the key elements of the previous book. If this book has its own ISBN then I should be able to pick it up and read it.
J.R.
Dec 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing
If I gave the first book 4 stars, I have to give this one a solid 4.5. Wool 2 does a great job of keeping up the momentum, interest, and mystery established in the first book while adding a layer of human interaction that forges a deeper connection with the reader. While most of the first book revolves around a single character and his internal struggle, in Wool 2 we get introduced to wide variety of people living in the silo. We even get to a watch a relationship form, with some tender moments. ...more
David Sven
Jan 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi
Proper Guage - I love how Howey uses knitting as an analogy for these instalments. In knitting, proper guage is about getting the stitch the right size so the end product is the right size. And our story continues with a glimpse at the sheer scale of the Silo as we descend floor by floor to the belly of the beast.
We also get a further glimpse of the politics of the Silo between the elected Mayor and IT.

Unlike the first book, this one ended pretty predictably. It's not standalone but it serves w
Kaila
Mar 18, 2012 rated it it was ok
Wool 2 wasn't nearly as compelling or as interesting as Wool 1. My first issue stems from a lack of proper imagery. The two characters are walking downstairs for basically the entire novelization - I believe it is 144 floors or so that they walk down. And this takes them two days. Two days?! If I'm picturing this wrong I would love to know, but 144 flights of stairs simply do not take that long to walk down, even if you are past your prime like both of the main characters here are. The climb bac ...more
Coleen Cloete
Jan 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
This one was a bit slower than the first one and at first I was disappointed that the storyline was not so fast- paced and intriguing as the first. I felt this way throughout the book until I reached the 80% mark and then it all sort of came together and it made sense. The pace, the theme, the way the story evolved and then surprisingly the theme of the second story turned into a beautiful love story for me.
I am sure other people might read it completely different and have a completely differen
Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead
Ok.... I'm bowing down to you Mr. Howey. You just prevented me from doing a half hour of work that is past due because I couldn't stop reading this. Damn me for sneaking a peek at the beginning of the book and not being able to stop reading. Damn you for writing a creative, science fiction story that has me captivated.

I WILL not sneak a peek at part 3! NOPE, won't do it!!!
Caro M.
Nov 29, 2015 rated it liked it
Not as good as the first one, but still interesting as an additional exposure of the Silo world and its politics. I'm expecting some more action in next installment. And some more secrets revealed.
Daniel
Nov 24, 2012 rated it did not like it
I really loved Wool #1 but this was basically "2 old people climb stairs for 100 pages."
Ravwrin
Dec 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Wool 2 - Proper Gauge was fantastic! It started right where the first left off. A cleaning has been performed, and now the silo is without a sheriff. With only one good candidate available, Mayor Jahns and Deputy Marnes set off for the Down Deep to recruit her in person. Along the way, they discover much about each other, troubling news about this candidate, and stumble upon fractured alliances that could spell the doom of a silo they've worked long years to protect.

I couldn't wait to get my han
Nadia
Feb 27, 2013 rated it liked it
I read this book immediately after finishing Wool 1. I must say I found it ALOT slower and found myself not reaching for my book quite as often as with the first.

Things started to get interesting about 93% into it.

One of my most favorite things of Wool is that the characters are more mature. So no teeny, angsty love stories.

After the sheriff was sent to cleaning his position has to be filled. The Mayor and Deputy Sheriff set off to the deep depths of the silo to interview their favorite candida
Richard
Jan 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The first book gave us a glimpse of the silo environment but focused primarily on the main character, his torment and his final act of love and hope.

This second installment provides much more detail about the silo and it's people. We are also exposed to more characters in this story along with a journey, human intrigue, unrequited love and some of the same "what does it all mean?" types of questions we all ask ourselves. Mr. Howey definitely knows how to maintain the focus though and leads us de
Jennifer Wardrip
Jan 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Although slower in intensity than WOOL 1, I enjoyed this second installment of the series just as much as the first. I liked the added insight we got into the workings & minds of Mayor Jahns and Deputy Marnes, and their travel/adventure toward the down-deep to find a new Sheriff. The workings of the silo continue to amaze me, and although the ending had me howling in rage (really, Hugh, REALLY???), I thoroughly loved this tale, which sent me scrambling to WOOL 3. Keep reeling me in, buddy, b ...more
Louise
Oct 28, 2013 rated it it was ok
The second book in the Wool series basically just sets up the rest of the series (in my opinion). It's slow and took me forever to read. The economics and politics of the silo is very interesting and I enjoy the world he's created, but nothing really happens and for a 'short story' that is essential.
SheLove2Read
Oct 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
Now it's really getting interesting! I think I know who the bad guys are but I'm anxious to read further.
Colin
Mar 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Post-apocalyptic fans
Another wonderful story in the Wool universe, albeit one fairly different from the first.

Wool 2 focuses on Mayor Jahns, the weary longtime leader of the silo, and Marnes, longtime sheriff's deputy. The story follows the two on a long quest that takes them to the "deep down" of the silo (essentially the bottom section of levels that the Mayor, and many others who live near the surface, rarely comes in contact with).

I won't say what the quest is since it'd be somewhat of a spoiler for the first s
Jason
Mar 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: e-books, read-2013
4 Stars

Proper Gauge (Wool #2), is an enjoyable sequel to the fantastic short book one. In this book the story of the Silo continues, this time centering on Mayor Jahns. She is an intelligent, fierce, and brave older woman that is respected by most. Her relationship with Deputy Marnes is the center piece of this novel. The long trek up and down the Silo with him add some backstory, politics, and even some romance to the series.

Howey captures the reader with descriptive prose, and a tight story li
Nathan
Nov 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Each book in this series seems to get longer and longer. That may not be the case, but 2 is definitely longer than 1, and 5 was definitely the longest (by 3 and 4, though, I was turning through at such a clip that I had no idea of time).

2 was what it needed to be. Exactly what it needed to be. But only, again, after the fact.

Hugh Howey has a really good sense of composition. There isn't a lot of reliance on common tropes to give that sense of familiarity to the telling of the tale, but it's a ve
Laura Clark
Dec 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
Noneya
Dec 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Fans of dystopian novels.
Is this by any chance going to be a saga? I certainly hope so. Rarely do I find sequels to live up to their predecessors, but this was fascinating. The character development was fantastic, as I felt such a deep connection to Jahns(especially) and was saddened and completely shocked towards the end of this installment!

I'm a huge fan of dystopian fiction, so naturally I am completely intrigued by the silo itself. The sheer scale of it is just amazing and there is still so much mystery surrounding
Joel Margolese
Jan 27, 2012 rated it it was ok
This installment just didn't do it. It's a mood piece and it seems to setup future conflicts and gives us a view of the structure of the silo. It would be fine as a sequence in a novel, but as a stand-alone piece it just doesn't do much. The plot barely advances and I am left wondering about the Mayor and deputy's choice. I won't spoil it it, but it's a little too random and feels like a set piece to justify their trip down the silo.

On to the next.

And I really hope to find out why "wool".
Nikki
Hmm. Still processing this one. Again, there was a bit of a sting in the tale, but I saw it coming through some clumsy foreshadowing. Interesting addition to the world we already know a little about, and building things up nicely as far as explaining the inside of the silo goes.

But after the first book, I'm interested in outside, I want to know why and how and maybe when. While I liked the cautious, tender, careful relationship built up here, I wanted some more answers, not more questions.

Still,
Gertie
Jan 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: aw-authors
Works best as part of a series (which of course I will read since I'm sure the rest will be just as good), whereas the first one could work on its own.

I really enjoy the way things are described, and in this tale the way the relationship between two main characters is written is particularly nice.
Andi
Apr 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle
Wow - I'm officially hooked! The mayor and deputy take a journey into the depths of the silo to meet the most likely candidate to hold the sheriff's office. You get a sense of how large the silo really is through this telling, as well as the political and social structure of their society.
Ashley
Jul 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
People seemed to not like this part as much as the first, but I think I liked it just a touch more. There was a huge deal of world building, which is my favorite part of most stories. I also felt more attached to these characters as I read. I'm not sure why, but they just felt more real.
Chelle
Jan 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
I can't wait to get into Wool 3!

Hugh Howey is my favorite discovery of 2012! More! More!

(Did find it funny that the one instance of actual knitting and she's using cotton.)
Ashley
Jan 15, 2013 rated it it was ok
This wasn't really sufficient as a stand alone book. I'm sure when I finish the series this will have a place, but on its own...meh. Prepare yourself for stairs and little else.
Linda
Jan 28, 2017 rated it liked it
I enjoyed the second installment of the Wool series, but it did not sustain the tension and atmosphere of the first book. The expanded unveiling of dystopian world of the silo is still interesting.
Madison Mega-Mara...: #63 Proper Gage by Hugh Howey 1 1 May 17, 2015 09:15PM
SciFi and Fantasy...: "Wool Omnibus" Proper Gauge *Book 2 Spoilers Only* 38 301 Feb 21, 2014 04:12PM
The Sword and Laser: Discuss Book 2: Proper Gauge 50 281 May 30, 2013 03:34AM
  • The Silo Archipelago
  • The Runner (The Runner, #1)
  • San Diego 2014: The Last Stand of the California Browncoats (Newsflesh Trilogy, #0.50)
  • Yesterday's Gone: Episode 2 (Yesterday's Gone, #2)
  • The Sky Used to be Blue (Karma #1)
  • Kingdom (Tiber City, #1)
  • Desolation
  • The Zona
  • Jeremy's Choice (The Peeling, #1)
  • Saving Mrs. Claus (An Apocalyptic Fairytale)
  • Clone Hunter (Clone Rebellion Chronicles)
  • The Boat
  • Agony (Debt Collector, #2)
  • Zombie Cinderella (Zombie Fairy Tales #1)
  • Foreverland is Dead (Foreverland, #2)
  • Dead Earth: The Green Dawn
I'm the author of WOOL, a top 5 science fiction book on Amazon. I also wrote the Molly Fyde saga, a tale of a teenager from the 25th century who is repeatedly told that girls can't do certain things -- and then does them anyway.

A theme in my books is the celebration of overcoming odds and of not allowing the cruelty of the universe to change who you are in the process. Most of them are classified
More about Hugh Howey...

Silo (3 books)
  • Wool Omnibus (Silo, #1)
  • Shift (Shift, #1-3; Silo, #2)
  • Dust (Silo, #3)
“What she had forever seen as her calling -- this living apart and serving the greater good -- now felt more a curse. Her life had been taken from her. Squeezed into pulp. The juice of her efforts and sacrificed years had dripped down through a silo that, just forty levels below her, hardly knew and barely cared.” 3 likes
“Bernard said this last word like it was full of nails and might gut him to spit it out.” 2 likes