Start by marking “Boarded Window (Warm Bodies)” as Want to Read:
Boarded Window (Warm Bodies)

Boarded Window

(Warm Bodies)

I wrote a short story for City Arts magazine about R's first winter as a walking corpse. It's significantly less heartwarming than most holiday specials.
Published November 28th 2011 by City Arts

Free Four by Veronica RothDestroy Me by Tahereh MafiGlitches by Marissa MeyerHana by Lauren OliverSummer's Crossing by Julie Kagawa
YA Short Stories and Novellas
648 books — 1,221 voters
World War Z by Max BrooksThe Zombie Survival Guide by Max BrooksThe Walking Dead, Vol. 1 by Robert KirkmanFeed by Mira GrantPride and Prejudice and Zombies by Seth Grahame-Smith
Zombies!
1,533 books — 4,225 voters

More lists with this book...

Steph
A juicy, twisted (very) short look at R's first year after becoming a zombie.

Some of my favorite bits and pieces:

These are the things I think about when I’m opening people’s skulls. When I’m eating what they hide inside.
The only time I understand what a family is is
Faith (BookSelf ~ You Are What You Read)
Wow, I just realized that a bunch of this was used in The New Hunger later
Nila
Jul 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: People Who Love R
Recommended to Nila by: Aimlessly Puttering
This is a short piece from Isaac Marion about zombies and most particularly about R. R is relentlessly borrowing memories to warm him and give him a self. As often with Marion's work, we're on the edge of "pretty disgusting" sometimes. (I mean he eats brains and gains insight.)

All the books and a short story are now in audio versions.
Cal
Jan 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Now I'm really really really intrigued of R's past life! Isaac Marion why are you doing this to us T.T
Felicia
I don't even know if this counts as a short story, more like a little thought process from the character R, but if you've read Warm Bodies, I say give this a read, it'll take you 5 minutes and it's kind of cute.
G
Feb 17, 2013 rated it liked it
What a wonderful short story. My only complaint is that it's so short, which obviously makes sense considering it was /supposed/ to be short, but fmdsljfsmg Still. I just miss R's voice too much.
Elyse

Small, sad little intro to our at this time nameless zombie who still has humanity in him!
Darkshadow
Jan 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
"Especially “family.” The only time I understand what a family is is when I’m eating one. When I can move from a father’s brain to his son’s, from a brother’s to his sister’s, feel all the resentments mingling with loyalty; the envy and anger with stubborn, tenacious love. It’s a wonderful experience and a rare one, but I get it more often around the holidays, when families foolishly corner themselves all in one room, letting the warm glow of their candles and the scent of roasted turkey creep t ...more
Shanna
Jan 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is a cute little snap shot of how R's brain works. Even though he's a zombie, he never really stops thinking about things and trying to understand the way the world used to be.

I like the idea of a zombie with a wiped out brain trying to understand why the living go about celebrating Christmas, even in these terrible times. Even though he's going to go eat them, he still wants to just understand what's going on, with him and with the world.

Cute little beginning to who R is and what kind of
Trisha
Feb 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Found here: http://cityartsonline.com/issues/seat...

a short little piece but it's great to be back with R. After having read the book, I was ecstatic when I saw movie trailers.

Now, having just gotten back from the wonderful wonderful movie, I enjoy lazily coming back into R's life and enjoying his first Winter/Christmas thoughts as a zombie.

Seriously, "What are you?" He's a little bowl full of awesome-zombie!! :D
Christina
Jan 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013
This made me happy, I just wished it were longer.

I recently finished reading Warm Bodies, which I loved. 'Boarded Window' does a really nice job of allowing the reader to understand the conflict that must be inside of Early R, but the horror of what he needs to do in order to survive really stands out and makes its point.

While reading it, I kept thinking, "R did that?! Not the R I know!"

Thanks for sharing this story with us!
~☆clockwork
I didn't even know this existed until recently and I'm glad i found it, although its short its great and anything that is part of this series is gold for me. Its only two pages long but an awesome two pages leaving u wanting more i love this series ❤
Zaz
Jan 20, 2017 rated it liked it
3.5 stars. Nice very short short story, dedicated to R's first winter. Nothing new on the zombie side, but the cold atmosphere was well depicted and, as usual, it was pleasant to be in R's head.
BellaGBear
Mar 19, 2014 rated it liked it
A nice little story about R's first christmas as a zombie.

You can read it here: http://www.cityartsonline.com/issues/... (Not my site)
Ryan
Feb 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a great short story that comes with the third installment of The Warm Bodies series. I can tell that it was a character piece. What is interesting is that for a zombie short story there are no actual killings, instead the reader is treated to a very early form of "R." The reader will notice that it is mostly his internal monologue and there are even glimpses of human emotion. Another interesting note is that it is a prequel to the Warm Bodies story. Lastly, if you order the third instal ...more
Lisa Nielsen
Jun 27, 2017 rated it it was ok
Two stars solemnly given for the purpose of the short story being brought in a magazine to feature the series.
If this was just a short story in the series, I'd have given it one star. It is way too short to even describe R's first winter as a zombie. The short story, for me, lacks purpose, it's more like a two minute look into his quite curious brain and everything in it could have been (and is) incorporated in R's narration in the actual novels. Skip the short story and stick to the lengthier s
Wealie
Jul 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
A well written and interesting short. It gives more of Isaac Marion's compelling zombie insights on feelings and how zombies are different from the humans they once were. It's written from the perspective of R, the lead zombie character from the fantastic Warm Bodies series.

The short is available free from the City Arts website.
Dawn Michelle
R's first winter as a Zombie -

"The ethics of eating people are blurry at best in the fog of my undead amnesia, but I expect more for such a high price. What I want are the moments I will never have. The warm ones. The living ones. And it’s never until I’ve chewed through those rubbery layers of triviality and years-thick crusts of detachment that I finally get what I came for."
Cheyenne
Dec 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I seriously love Isaac Marion's writing. This is short little snippet of R's life, but it's great and has me wishing I had Warm Bodies in my hand right now.

Look in in the book info, under the summary, to find the link to it.
Poppy
Oct 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love Isaac's style of writing. It is thought provoking and honest. This story was an enjoyable read and I look forward to the release of The Living later on this year! Warm Bodies will forever be one of my favorite series.
Danyel
Jan 24, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: shorts
Short and cute. I haven't read Warm Bodies but I did see the movie and this short story gives us more insight into how eating the brains let's the character get just a glimpse of what it means to be alive again.
Reesa Renee
Feb 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
As a zombie would moan "I want More!"
Sarah Ahmed
Mar 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Nice short story 👍
Hayley
May 21, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017
Very short short story about R's first winter. Humor definitely still shines through!
Roberta
Apr 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Friendly little story about the first winter R spends as a zombie.
Greg
Nov 26, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: horror
An interesting, philosophical, look at what there is to be had from eating human brains - from the point of view of a zombie....
Tiffany Lynn Kramer
Jun 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
There's something so captivating about Marion's writing style, I simply can't get enough of it.
Stephanie
You know, this is a really really short story. Just a few pages, no more than six, no less than two. I don't have much to say. But I most say that Isaac Marion is an incredible writer. Write like you are a zombie is not easy. This zombie, R, is always rambling. Having thoughts that maybe no other zombie had. Being him was not and is not easy. He didn't even know what he was. Now we read his thoughts about winter, snow, Christmas and memories of people he have rip apart. You could say that he doe ...more
Isabella
This story happens between The New Hunger and Warm Bodies, so I should've read it AFTER The New Hunger but...

it's SO SHORT :P I could spare a minute or two to read it right away. Not to mention I'm currently in love with Isaac Marion's writing.

It's a very short story about R's first winter as a zombie, and it's so full of emotion. At this point he's still eating a lot of people, but even so, he does his best to "think". He does his best to understand.

It's also when he becomes friends with M, whi
Sarah Marie
Boarded Window by Isaac Marion

Prequel to Warm Bodies

2 stars

That was the shortest musings from a zombie I've ever read. R is always fascinating when it comes to his musings surrounding zombie life, but that was far too short for me to even think about giving it anything about 2 stars.

Cover Thoughts: I really like the cover. It's an awesome illustration, but I'm hoping that's not supposed to be a depiction of R because that makes his thing with Julie in Warm Bodies just seem even creepier.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• The Living Dead Boy
  • First Night Memories (Rot & Ruin, #0.5)
  • The Raid (The Eden Trilogy, #0.6)
  • The Department of Alterations (Crewel World, #0.5)
  • Hare Moon (The Forest of Hands and Teeth, #0.1)
  • King of Marbury (The Marbury Lens #1.5)
  • Foundation (Razorland, #0.5)
  • How to Kill Yourself in a Small Town (Redneck Apocalypse #1)
  • Mystically Bound (Frostbite, #3)
  • Barely Alive (Barely Alive, #1)
  • The Storm (The Fury, #2)
  • Frail (Dust, #2)
  • Other Worlds
  • Men Who Wish to Drown
  • Prophet (Struck, #0.5)
  • Doll Parts
  • Resist (Possession, #0.5)
  • Z1n1: The Zombie Pandemic: 2012 Was Just the Beginning
After 9 years, 4 books, and 1 pretty good movie, R and Julie's story is about to reach its conclusion.

THE LIVING, book 4 of the Warm Bodies Series, is available now.

isaacmarion.com

Warm Bodies (3 books)
  • Warm Bodies (Warm Bodies, #1)
  • The Burning World  (Warm Bodies, #2)
  • The Living (Warm Bodies, #3)
“Maybe eventually winter will finish our job for us and end the world in ice instead of blood.” 7 likes
“You can order yourself to treasure a moment, to cling tight to a feeling and never let it fade, but it’s your brain, that three-pound lump of hamburger, that makes the final call.” 6 likes