Start by marking “Chaotic (Otherworld Stories, #5.2)” as Want to Read:
Chaotic (Otherworld Stories, #5.2)

Chaotic

(Otherworld Stories #5.2)

Kelley Armstrong returns to the Otherworld with "Chaotic," where a half-demon tabloid journalist's boring date is saved...by a supernatural explosion? She's off to save the day—if only her less-than-stellar date wouldn't tag along! Luckily, the intriguing, infuriating, and just plain sexy werewolf/jewel thief Karl Marsten also appears. ...more
Published January 31st 2012 by Harper Voyager

To ask other readers questions about Chaotic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chaotic

Start your review of Chaotic (Otherworld Stories, #5.2)
Jun 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
Read in the Dates from Hell anthology ...more
Siobhan
Nov 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
I’m trying to read the Otherworld Stories as they occur in the Women of the Otherworld timeline. Whether or not I’m achieving my goal is hard to say – I’m succeeding and not at the same time. Nevertheless, I am trying. Thus, Chaotic was picked up before I jumped into the sixth book of the series. Although it is book five-point-two, I’m unsure as to how vital reading it before the sixth book is. I know it will be relevant later, though, and that’s enough for me.

I’m going to be honest by saying I
Susana

2.5 Stars

Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁
This is how Karl and Hope meet.

ALSO--Karl is almost as hot as Clay.
Pam Nelson
Chaotic – How Hope and Karl meet, it’s interesting but not my favorite. This made me like Karl more though.
Jo
Jun 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Review first posted at Urban Fangtasy

This review for Chaotic will be spoiler free, but it may contain spoilers for both previous novels and novellas in the Women of the Otherworld Series.

I adore the Women of the Otherworld series. With the upcoming release of Thirteen and this weeks release of The Hunter and The Hunted, I thought this would be a great time to go back and read all the novellas that I’ve missed.

Chaotic (first published in the Dates from Hell Anthology) is a short story featuring h
Gina
Mar 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
This novella set in Armstrong's Women of the Otherworld series fills in a lot of gaps in the full length book featuring Hope, half chaos demon, and Karl Marsden, werewolf thief. When I first read the book, I felt like I was missing something - probably because I was. How they met had been covered in a novella published prior in some anthology and was only alluded to in their full length story. Even without re-reading the book, I enjoy it so much more just having now read this story. I don't thin ...more
Jodi
Apr 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
It is more accurate to say that I reread this in 2016. It was part of an anthology that I read in 2008 that I didn't particularly enjoy but this story was a standout at the time and still now. Hope is a half-demon who gets her power from chaos. Karl Marsden is a werewolf, sort of pack, sort of loner, excellent thief. Hope works for a National Enquirer-type paper ferreting out the real supernatural from the fiction. She thinks she's doing for the Council. She's actually working for a Cabal. She's ...more
Angelica Haney
Sep 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Omg 😍 How have I waited so long to read this!!! The story of Hope and Karl’s first meeting went beyond my expectations!!! So freaking cute! I’m gonna need like 10 more novellas just about them please!
Nikki
In "Dates From Hell" anthology, best of the bunch! ...more
Jovdb
Jul 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A short story, too short, from Kelley Armstrong. She is a wonderful writer, so descriptive, humorous, and exciting!

In this novella we learn about the beginning of Hope and Marsten's relationship.
Dolores Johnson
May 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Hope was funny with her self deprecation, especially about the dress.
I knew Karl was a well-dressing good-looking man, but in the past stories I got the sense he was dashing rather than sexy--but, this story showed us his sex appeal. He was quite charming, even though she was't having it.
***
He put his hand under my chin and lifted the wet cloth again. Then he paused again.

“What now?” I said.

A low chuckle. “I was just thinking I’ve never seen a woman who looked so beautiful in dirt and cobwebs
Kateblue
Mar 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
Chaotic is not a novel. I don't know the lengths of shorter works, so I cannot say if it's a short story, a novelette, or a novella. It originally appeared in an anthology called "Dates from Hell." It is the backstory of two characters in the Otherworld series. It is now available in a Kindle standalone version.

You really do not need to know anything about the Otherworld series to read it. Everything is explained to the extent you need to know it in the work itself.

I had actually read it befor
Theresa
Feb 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The story of how Hope and Karl’s first meeting. After being hired by a man named Tristan to work with him as an agent for the Council, Hope goes to a museum Gala with a date that was arranged by her mother. While there she runs into Karl and ends up getting involved in a jewel heist and a murder.

I found the story interesting, but for someone who’s worked alone for so long and had to worry about other supernaturals, Karl is a little too trusting with Hope. Hope is perfectly naïve.

Fave scenes: the
MissG
Oct 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Fun, suspense filled & quick read

I needed a good escape today & this was a perfect choice! I like the authors story telling cadence - a bit flirty, suspense filled and held my attention throughout.
Elizabeth Keddie
May 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Enticing, sexy, and definitely ends with you wanting more!
Debra
Jul 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Charming

The Otherworld series has never disappointed me yet, this novella is another example of wonderful fun and great characters. Very entertaining.
TinaMarie
Jan 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Lawrence Chen
May 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Chaotic logic to deal with chaos.
Sandy S
Oct 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
CHAOTIC by Kelley Armstrong

CHAOTIC is a novella in Kelley Armstrong’s Women of the Otherworld series. The short story was first published in the anthology Dates From Hell, but was released in ebook format January 2012. Chaotic features half-demon Hope Adams and werewolf Karl Marsden. The readers were first introduced to Karl in Kelley’s first novel of the Otherworld series-Bitten.

Hope Adams is a half-demon, who thrives on chaos. As a journalist working for a tabloid newspaper, chaos is the perfe
chucklesthescot
Apr 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, ebook, uf-pnr, novella
I used to own a copy of 'Dates from Hell', the anthology that this novella was published in but when I saw that the story was about Hope and Karl first meeting, I chose not to read it and the book was traded to a friend. Yeah, I know, I should've given it a chance! At the time my favourite women were Elena and Jaime so Hope wasn't as interesting to me. I wasn't a fan of Karl in Bitten but he has greatly grown on me as the series has progressed and that is why I hunted down a copy of this novella ...more
Oracleofdoom
Aug 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
Now, this is much more in line with the quality I had come to expect from Kelley Armstrong. Right from the beginning. She does an excellent job of getting across to the reader what kind of character Hope is. I particularly loved the yellow dress, Hope's intention to be a beacon, a ray of sunshine surrounded by swathes of black, but instead she stood out more like a banana. And the stain that she worsened when trying to clean it up. These things are relatable, and really humanize Hope.

And she doe
Carrie
Dec 22, 2016 rated it liked it
Read out of order, so i don't know the background but now I'm interested in reading it. ...more
Carrie
Feb 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015
I put off reading this short story because I had already read all the books in the Otherworld series. They mention how Hope and Karl meet several times and I kept thinking "Why should I even read the short story about how they met? What could I possibly learn that I don't already know?" Well, the type of reader I am won't let me skip over any books in the series, so that meant I had to eventually swing back around and read this short story to be considered "complete" with this series. I'm so gla ...more
MaryB
Jan 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
Half-demon Hope interrupts werewolf Karl Marsden right in the middle of a robbery and, from there, things get...hairy (sorry, I couldn't help it). Hope's working as a bounty hunter of sorts, still a rookie and eager to please her boss. So when they say to get Karl Marsden, that's what she intends to do.

Except her boss isn't who he claims and Karl, well, he's not quite as bad as he was in BITTEN (notice the *quite* because he's still a bad wolf at heart and he's going to do what he needs to do n
Suzan
Feb 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone!
I adore Karl and loved this story about how he and Hope met. I first read it in the Anthology 'Dates from Hell' but bought it when it was released as an e-book as well. It was interesting getting the story behind Hope and Karl's obligation to Benecio Cortez that they are trying to repay in Personal Demon, also behind when we heard from Elena in No Human's Involved about how she'd been approached by Karl to help Hope journalistically and with the council and was being a better pack member so she ...more
Mel
Aug 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I read this story as part of the anthology Dates From Hell. In my opinion, this story was the best of the bunch by far.

Hope is a half human half chaos demon tabloid reporter who works for the Interracial Council. At a charity ball she bumps into werewolf Karl Marsten and things become chaotic.
This was a great story. It was well written, exciting, engaging and fun (Hope is really funny). And it made me fall in love with Karl Marsten. Karl Marsten: the perpetually sly, egocentric, tricky werewolf
Anniken Haga
Sep 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I've loved the Otherworld-series from the first time i read ''Bitten'', but I've never gotten around to reading this one!
So when I found it on my phone, I just had to do have it!

This short-story has everything that I love about Kelley Armstrong, a kick-ass female lead, bad guys and a hot guy.
Before I read this, I already knew how it was going to end - I spoiled my self by reading ''Personal Demon'' a while back, but I think that only made this story more fun!

I smiled and laughed and got every
Angela
May 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
Chaotic is book 5.2 in the Women of the Otherworld Series by Kelley Armstrong. This short story is about Hope and Karl. (view spoiler) ...more
Kathy
« previous 1 3 next »

• Fate's Edge (The Edge, #3)
  • To Sir Phillip, With Love: The 2nd Epilogue (Bridgertons, #5.5)
  • Small Magics (Kate Daniels, #0.5; 5.3; 5.6)
  • Black Magick, Vol. 2: Awakening II
  • Companions of the Night
  • Black Magick, Vol. 1: Awakening, Part One
  • Into the Land of the Unicorns (The Unicorn Chronicles, #1)
  • Heir Apparent (Rasmussem Corporation, #2)
  • Worth Living For (Morganville Vampires #7.5)
  • White Silence (Elizabeth Cage, #1)
  • Bayou Moon (The Edge, #2)
  • Dark Light (Elizabeth Cage, #2)
  • A Longer Fall (Gunnie Rose, #2)
  • Gin Tama, Vol. 19 (Gin Tama, #19)
  • How to Survive an Undead Honeymoon (The Beginner's Guide to Necromancy, #8)
  • Unbreakable
  • The Viscount Who Loved Me: The 2nd Epilogue (Bridgertons, #2.5)
  • The Twilight Before Christmas (Drake Sisters, #2)

Otherworld Stories (5 books)
  • Men of the Otherworld (Otherworld Stories, #1)
  • Tales of the Otherworld (Otherworld Stories, #2)
  • Otherworld Nights (Otherworld Stories, #3)
  • Otherworld Secrets (Otherworld Stories, #4)
  • Otherworld Chills (Otherworld Stories, #5)