Start by marking “Haunted Love” as Want to Read:
Haunted Love

Haunted Love

(Tantalize)

Spirit, Texas, is a town of secrets, and as the new owner of the local haunted movie theater, Cody Stryker is juggling more than his fair share. When a mysterious new girl comes to town and runs afoul of the ghost that lives in his theater, Cody’s caught in the middle and needs to figure out exactly who he can trust. HAUNTED LOVE is a short story by New York Times Bestsell ...more
Published December 13th 2011 by Candlewick

To ask other readers questions about Haunted Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Haunted Love

Shovelmonkey1
Mar 24, 2012 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: people who think R-patz is dreamy
Recommended to Shovelmonkey1 by: kindle freeness
Rumble, rumble, rumble

Why, what's this?

Toot, toot!

Well bless my undead soul it's the vampire band wagon. Come on everyone, jump on!

To be honest, and fair, I've never read anything by Cynthia Leitich Smith before so for all I know she could have been writing fanged fantasy for many years before Twilight torched the public imagination, spreading in that worrying and unstoppable manner akin to a particularly savage forest fire. Definitely the best Kindle freebie that I've digitally spoon-fed into m
Katherine
Sep 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Haunted love was an easy and a quick read but it wasn't short on drama and mystery.The story follows a young fellow Cody Stryker who recently graduated and insisted of moving away from Spirit, Texas hangs back and reopens an old movie theater called "old love" which is rumored to be haunted. But its not just that Cody seems to be hiding a secret of his own..... A deep dark secret that although saved him from the abuse of his uncle but also left him with an unquenchable thirst for blood. Yes, you ...more
Anne
For a 23 page short story this was pretty good. It was a freebie I found on my Nook, but honestly, I don't usually read many of them once they're downloaded. In fact, I was looking for stuff to delete when I ran across this one.
Hey, it's only a few pages long, why not read it?
I'm glad I did.

It's not an in-depth story (duh), but the author manages to pack in enough information to make it a readable short. If she can do that with this story, I'm thinking I'd like to check out some of her full-len
Ankita Singh
Jul 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Review coming soon!
Kay Oliver
Sep 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
4 Stars

Very well written, though a bit predictable. I enjoyed the characters and the setting of the old, haunted theater. I love the twist on vampires as well. A good, short read.
Ted Tayler
Mar 06, 2017 rated it it was ok
"Lacked bite"

This was quirky at the outset, and I thought it might develop into a decent, if dark, mystery. However, it soon became apparent it was the usual standard YA vampire-fest. It will still have its fans no doubt.
 Marla
Cute little story with elements (view spoiler) ...more
Rebecca
Dec 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Haunted Love is a fun short story. I went into it thinking that it would be a light read set in the same universe as Cynthia’s books such as Tantalize and Eternal. It is set in the same universe but has completely different characters and a different setting.
I really enjoyed Haunted Love; it didn’t take too long to read and it surprised me somewhat to be honest. I loved the ghost aspect and while I had my suspicions about Cody I didn’t expect anything from anyone else which was pretty awesome.
Ha
Brenda Ayala
Jun 02, 2015 rated it liked it
SPOILERSSSSS

Easily something you can knock out in less than an hour, this was a bit confusing but still fun. Apparently this universe has all kinds of supernatural creatures, which I found out pretty quickly. I was
definitely laughing at the fact that our main character became a vampire by buying an "energy drink" online...that apparently contained blood? I don't know. And there's a ghost who is the jealous type. It's wacky and doesn't make much sense but it is a fun read and it was free so who
Bandit
Jul 14, 2014 rated it it was ok
This had all the makings of a cheesy paranormal romance like the sort Smith seems to specialize in, but I was lured by a haunted movie theater premise. The short story actually turned out somewhat better than I expected, although in all fairness my expectations were very low. And of course, there were vampires that this lamentable bastard child of horror genre requires, but the story was entertaining enough, even had a twist and passed the very short time it took to read it decently.
J. Kahele
Oct 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
These were definitely different

After ordering a vial of something Cody believed was some sort of muscle building product, like steroids. He spins finds out that it is blood, the soon turns him into a vampire.

This was a quick paced read with a lot of twists they kept it engaging and interesting.
Kelli Santistevan
Sep 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is the first book I've read from this author and I enjoyed it. It's a cute short story that can be read in less than an hour and it's great to read for Halloween or any time of the year. I want to read more books from this author in the future.
Selene Arca
Sep 09, 2012 rated it did not like it
Reminded me of those "scary" books from middle school...meh.
Kathryn Parry
Jan 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I loved this story...
Louise
Great short story. Love Cynthia Leitich Smith's books. :)
Natasha Banton
Mar 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Paranormal, Fantasy and Vampire lovers
This book was a really good read for me. I found this book captivating and I couldn't put the book down until I read it.

I felt that everything was planned out well in the book and the characters were talking in good perspective. I didn't actually know this book was about vampires until I read further into the book.

One of the characters had me shocked. After what happened, I'm glad everything turned out for the best.

The ending was great. I don't know what else to say than that.

Overall, This was a
Crystal
Dec 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a very good quick read. Cody, a recent high school graduate, has opened the Love Theater back up in the tiny Texas Town of Spirit. He employed the mayor’s daughter Ginny to take tickets and run the concessions. But things aren’t as they seem. The theater is haunted, and Cody isn’t what he appears to be.
Those aren’t the only two surprises in this story either. For such a short book, it packs a lot of punch!! Thoroughly enjoyed, thank you!
Denise
Dec 29, 2018 rated it liked it
To read it is to love it

While I now have a 1950 song stuck in my head I do have to say I enjoyed this story. Fast moving but with enough depth to tell an entire story. Where is the love perhaps it's not what you think.
Natalie
Aug 02, 2018 rated it liked it
A reasonably good short story. Started off really interesting with the spooky theatre and ghostly activities. The rest of it is all a bit rushed though, but then it is a super short story. The ending was a bit too much cheese for my liking.
Sierra Harper
Aug 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This story was absolutely amazing. It had a mysterious quality that kept you guess who the main character was going to end up with. It also has an incredible twist towards the end of the story. It was simply amazing.
Divya
Jan 02, 2019 rated it it was ok
It was a different take on a concept that's been written about so many times.
Anna
Oct 21, 2017 rated it did not like it
bad joke
N. Kimmage
Jan 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good

Definitely surprised that the story turned out differently than I imagined, which is a good thing, Sonia is a cool character, worth the short read, good plot and storyline.
Heather Hollister
Oct 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great short read

This book is well written. It is a great short read. It is entertaining. I have never read anything from this Author.
Melissa Dials
Dec 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
New Love

One partner, newly turned and new to love
The other, “much older” with an old-fashioned love
Really enjoyed this NA Paranormal Romance
TinaMarie
Jun 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Stefanie
This is how short story additions to books should be done! Short, but long enough to get a full story in, free, and not about the main characters.
Colette
Mar 20, 2017 rated it liked it
Loved it!
Lainy
Apr 14, 2012 rated it it was ok
Time taken to read - 1 hour

Blurb from goodreads

Spirit, Texas, is a town of secrets, and as the new owner of the local haunted movie theater, Cody Stryker is juggling more than his fair share. When a mysterious new girl comes to town and runs afoul of the ghost that lives in his theater, Cody's caught in the middle and needs to figure out exactly who he can trust. HAUNTED LOVE is a short story by New York Times Bestseller Cynthia Leitich Smith -- set in the same dark universe as her novels TANTAL
Crimson
Jan 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance
Really enjoyed reading this! Very cute, couldn't even look away from the screen!

In fact, I was rather disappointed when it ended. I really wanted to know more about the characters and because of the length of the piece there wasn't much "development." Still! We learned basics of who these characters were - Cody, Ben, Sonia, Ginny, Cody's uncle.

(view spoiler)
The Nexus : Haunted Love by Cynthia Leitich Smith - March BOM 2 12 Mar 08, 2012 01:36PM
  • Haunted Destiny (Midnight Dragonfly, #1.5)
  • Fallen from Grace (Dark Mirror, #0.5)
  • Night Flight
  • Safe at Home
  • Caged View: A Collection of Urban Fantasy Short Stories (Santeria Habitat, #0.5)
  • Renegade (Devoncroix Dynasty, #3)
  • Haunting the Night (Past Midnight, #2.5)
  • Intuition (Intangible, #0.5)
  • The Shelter (A Short Story)
  • Under a Midnight Moon (Werekind #2.5)
  • The Haunted Grove
  • Hound Dog Blues (Blue Suede Memphis Mystery, #1)
  • The Value of Life
  • Confucius Cat Says...
  • Fanged Love (The Vampire from Hell, #0.5)
  • When Gods and Vampires Roamed Miami (Goddess War, #0.5)
  • The Hidden Heiress
  • Rosemary & Mistletoe
Cynthia's fiction is noted for its diversity, humor, lyricism, and mid-to-southwestern settings. Still early in her career, she has shown tremendous range and loves to experiment.

JINGLE DANCER, illustrated by Cornelius Van Wright and Ying-Hwa Hu, (Morrow / Harper-Collins, 2000)(ages 4-up) was a finalist for the Oklahoma Book Award, runner-up for the Western Writers Association Storyteller Award, a

Tantalize (4 books)
  • Tantalize (Tantalize, #1)
  • Eternal (Tantalize, #2)
  • Blessed (Tantalize, #3)
  • Diabolical (Tantalize, #4)
“Ginny looks so small, huddled on the red carpet. We’ve known each other only a couple of days, but she’s brought sunshine into my life and made me feel like I belong in the glow. It’s not love. It’s the hope of love. But it’s the closest I’ve come to it since I was ten years old. If Ginny wants me, how can I be a monster?” 1 likes
“denim” 0 likes