Start by marking “So, You Want to Be a Writer?: How to Write, Get Published, and Maybe Even Make It Big!” as Want to Read:

Make those writing dreams a reality with this comprehensive guide that explains how to go from staring at an empty page to becoming a published author.

Designed to inspire creative expression and help aspiring young writers achieve their dreams, So, You Want to Be a Writer? takes readers through the fulfilling step-by-step process of becoming a professional writer, from lea
Published May 1st 2012 by Aladdin/Beyond Words (first published May 10th 2001)

To ask other readers questions about So, You Want to Be a Writer?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about So, You Want to Be a Writer?

Lacee Pilgrim
Mar 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Writers / Authors, Young Writers
Title: So, You Wanna be a Writer?
Subtitle: How to Write, Get Published, and maybe even make it big!
Author: Vicki Hambleton and Cathleen Greenwood
Target Audience: Young Adult
Pages: 143
Chapters: 12
Genre: Non-fiction - Writing
Rating: 10/10

Blurb (quoted):
“You have the ideas and the creativity to be a writer. You’re missing only one thing… this book!
Do you long to see your name in print? Do you dream of captivating people with your stories, poems, or movies? If so, this is your chance! So, You Wanna
Ria
Jan 14, 2018 rated it it was ok
It wasn't that interesting.
Jessica | Bookish Serendipity
Jun 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-stars, 2014
In early December, I found this book in (yes, seriously) a toy store and I was immediately smitten. After *ahem* hinting that I wanted it, I received this book as a Christmas gift and read it right away. I really enjoyed this book and I found it very helpful. I already knew much of the information because I have read other how-to guides for young writers, but I still learned plenty!

My favorite feature in this book was the interviews with authors, many of them who are young authors. I enjoyed lea
Rachel Grinti
I run a writing group for kids at the library, so I thought it might be useful -- but if I lend it to the kids, it will be with a few caveats. Not all of the information is accurate, particularly in the 'how to get published' section. One thing that stood out: "Stephen King gets huge advances because everything he writes is almost guaranteed to sell millions of copies. First-time authors, on the other hand, usually don't get paid advances" (144). Not true -- first-time authors usually *do* (and ...more
Susan
Jun 26, 2013 added it
Shelves: reference
Type of Reference: Handbook

Call Number: 808.02

Brief description: This handbook is written for the 4-6 grade child to inform and guide them through the life and strategies of a writer. The handbook is designed to inspire young writers to achieve their dreams.

Citation for where the item has been reviewed: Kraus, Daniel. Booklist, 4/1/2012, Vol. 108 Issue 15, p41, 1p

Criteria
Content/Scope: This book covers everything from how to tackle writer’s block, improve technique, approach publishers, and mo
Jayne Wilson
Hambleton, V., & Greenwood, C. (2012). So, you want to be a writer?: How to write, get published, and maybe even make it big!. United States of America: Aladdin/Beyond Words.

By: Jayne Wilson

Reference Type: Handbook

Call Number: 808

Description: A “how-to” manual for young, emerging writers

Review Source: So, you want to be a writer? How to write, get published, and maybe even make it big!. (2012). Kirkus Reviews, 80(8), 22.

Relevance and Relationship: $16.99; An addition to the 800’s (Literature
Jennifer Bacall
Aug 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
With a mix of reflective questions, tips and guidelines on everything from the process of writing to getting work published, this book is a fabulous tool to engage young hopeful writers and to introduce them to the world of writing. Also included in the text are Young Author Profiles which introduce young writers, explains how they got involved in their trade and samples of their work.

"I think being a good writer is being a good listener and a good watcher." -Vicki Leonard

The book is easily ac
Samantha Tabor
Hambleton, V., & Greenwood, C. (2012). So, you wanna be a writer?: how to write, get published, and maybe even make it big!. United States of America: Aladdin/Beyond Words.
Type of Reference: Handbook
Call Number: 808.02; 808
Brief Description: This handbook is an inspiration to young writers who want to develop a writing career.
Retrieved from: WKU Libraries Database: Children’s Core Collection (http://web.ebscohost.com.libsrv.wku.edu/)
Content/Scope: It contains interviews with real kid autho
Pamela
Jan 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Beginner Writers
Recommended to Pamela by: ME
The best thing about writing is that you never stop learning how to write itself. There's always new and different methods to approaching writing nowadays, which is why I need to catch up on the latest advice. I bought this book recently, with good intentions and for a hopeful-healthy dose of instruction.

And I got EXACTLY what I wanted.

As a matter of fact, I got even MORE knowledge than I thought I would. This book is perfect for beginner writers because it goes through the whole process—start t
Nancy
May 27, 2013 rated it liked it
The title of this work says it all. Filled with practical advise on how to achieve your dream of becoming a writer. Whether your dream is to be the next children's book star or write for the movies, it is all here. There is advice from authors, editors, and other people in the business that help you understand the steps involved with getting your work to the point of publication. If you have dreamed of becoming a published writer, this is a good place to start your research.
Ella
Feb 03, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a really good book. It inspired and helped me a whole lot to be a writer when I was younger. I recommend it to any young author. I have also used this book to help at my writing and art club with children as young as seven with great success.

Try this book out!
♥Kel
Apr 15, 2012 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: want to be writers of all ages
Recommended to ♥Kel by: goodreads
Shelves: was-good
this is one of those books where will answer most of ur questions on things. I learned a lot of things that i know i will need later on in life. If u want to 2b a writer, this is the book u need to get :)
Abby Powell
Jul 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Abby by: Georgetown Public Library
This book is so amazing! It's helped me so much with my writing and getting past writers block! It also has tons of writers prompts and great ideas to help you with your writing, including several chapters on publishing and all the jazz. so yeah. YOU MUST READ THIS BOOK :)
Stacy
Apr 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It really helped me with my writing. So if you want to improve your writing this is the book for you.
Daniel Williams
Jun 06, 2012
Eliza
Jul 16, 2015
Florencia
rated it did not like it
Dec 24, 2012
Jul 21, 2017
Jenna
Aug 23, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Vicki Hambleton is a verbal tutor for students in grades 9-12. She was a project editor and writer on Benchmark Education, specializing in books for grade K-8. Her writing has appeared in numerous children's publications including Cobbleston, Calliope, and Footsteps.