Start by marking “The Jesus We Missed: The Surprising Truth About the Humanity of Christ” as Want to Read:
The Jesus We Missed: The Surprising Truth About the Humanity of Christ

The Jesus We Missed: The Surprising Truth About the Humanity of Christ

Who was Jesus and what was His mission?

The Gospels present us with an obvious but profound and compelling thought, that the eternal Word of God became a real man of particular weight and height, with a specific temperament and particular traits of character. He was a Jew, part of a small village community. He became hungry and tired. He felt anger and was moved
Published 2012 by Thomas Nelson

To ask other readers questions about The Jesus We Missed, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Jesus We Missed

Start your review of The Jesus We Missed: The Surprising Truth About the Humanity of Christ
Jimmy Reagan
Feb 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
What do we mean when we say that Jesus was both fully divine and fully human? Most Christians have some clear ideas about Jesus being fully God, but His being a man is harder to conceive and explain. In fact, most Christians would rather not discuss the subject for fear of inadvertently attacking Christ's deity. It is in this usually avoided area of doctrine that Patrick Henry Reardon writes. This book, published by Thomas Nelson Publishers, boldly tackles the subject.

Reverent study
Alexis Neal
Feb 06, 2012 rated it it was ok
This is, or wants to be, a biography of Jesus. Or at any rate, a biography of his humanity, as it's far from an exhaustive account of all his activities. Reardon walks through the life of Jesus from birth through his youth and pre-ministry adult years, on into his earthly ministry, to the cross, the resurrection, and beyond, explaining how he thinks the dual nature of Christ as the God-man worked itself out.

I have to confess, I had high expectations for this book. The cover proudly proclaims that Dr. Ru
Michael Mandel
Aug 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent

When you see Jesus you have seen the Father. This book opens the eyes of faith to see our victorious risen Brother and Friend more relationally. Highly recommend.
Terry Feix
Sep 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Title is more sensational than the content. Nevertheless, the perspective Reardon takes is complementary and additive to our picture of Jesus.
Dan Anthony
Aug 19, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The humanity of Jesus Christ is a profound mystery. How an eternal God can become a man and yet limit His eternal capabilities is without human comprehension. Mankind is willing to see and comprehend the divinity of Christ, yet the humanity is much less comprehensible. In his book “The Jesus We Missed” Patrick Reardon attempts to explain the humanity of Christ. He begins with the Jesus birth through the Crucifixion and Resurrection.

Bringing out the humanity of Christ is a great aspect of Chris
Katherine
Feb 07, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: religion
I received this book free from the publisher through the BookSneeze.com book review bloggers program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255 : "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.

As a Non-Trinitarian (someone who doesn't believe in the Trinity, and, at least in my case, the divinity of Christ), I was exc
Chris
Aug 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
This twelve chapter, two hundred page paperback has been one of my favorite books to read and reflect on during my morning cup of coffee. I love to consider the person and mission of Jesus early and often each day and Patrick Reardon provides a biblically thorough and insightful rumination on the wonder of the incarnation.

The first four chapters center on Jesus’ life prior to the confrontation in His home town. Chapter 5 focuses on the event in Nazareth and the following chapters dea
Karie Hall
Mar 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The Jesus We Missed The Surprising Truth About the Humanity of Christ

The purpose of this book is to highlight the humanity of Christ be taking a closer look at the human-like qualities that Jesus portrayed, particularly in what he said to other people. Starting with his birth, and then moving toward his baptism and his ministry, and finally ending with his death and resurrection, Reardon focuses on the interactions that Jesus has with o
Allison
Sep 10, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, religious
The title is a bit of a misnomer, as Fr. Patrick himself points out in the introduction that nothing he says is new, per se. However, it is a thought-provoking and very thorough exploration of how Jesus' humanity impacted his life and ministry, with meticulous comparisons drawn between gospel accounts. Fr. Patrick is adept at pointing out why particular details were included by particular authors (the theme of the temple in Luke's gospel, John's focus on seven signs, etc.). This book is an excel ...more
Josh
Apr 12, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: scripture
This was an interesting book. I'm always suspicious of books that claim to discover a "truth we missed" but Reardon is careful in his formulations and respectful of the theological heritage of Chalcedonian Christology. He's also very insightful regarding each Gospel's distinct presentation of Christ, considering the data from all four Gospels without flattening their unique perspectives.

That said, I came away from this with the sense that it under-delivered on its promise. It was an insightful
Michael
Mar 04, 2013 rated it liked it
Recommended to Michael by: Friend of mine
Shelves: grace-gospel
I thought this book was a pretty interesting and controversial book. It was not so much controversial in terms of disputes but it raises a lot of questions in the modern church. I was taught that Jesus was a mere man and not the religious figure that we hold Him up too. Also this book explained the humanity of Jesus,and his divinity. Although he was God incarnate, He was also a man that experienced the trials that Christians go through in their daily life.

Solid book with good teachin
Andrew
Jul 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Eye opening

I was surprised, as the title would suggest, at the Jesus I didn't know. If you struggle at times to grasp the meaning of the incarnation, then this book is for you. The humanity of Jesus is too important to miss out on.
R.D. Brown
Jun 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Fr. Patrick Reardon offers a wonderful picture into the life of Jesus. A life that is brought to life through Scripture and Tradition. This life of Jesus is rooted in the Septuagint Old Testament, something that the Western Church has missed or simply glossed over since Martin Luther.
Ed
Jul 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Fascinating insights into our Lord's mission. I used it as the basis for a half-dozen or so Sunday School lessons.
Rachel

• Becoming Orthodox: A Journey to the Ancient Christian Faith
  • The Soul After Death
  • Luther's Small Catechism: A Manual for Discipleship
  • An Introduction to God: Encountering The Divine in Orthodox Christianity
  • Misreading Scripture with Western Eyes: Removing Cultural Blinders to Better Understand the Bible
  • Zealot: The Life and Times of Jesus of Nazareth
  • Knowing Jesus Through the Old Testament
  • Salvation by Allegiance Alone: Rethinking Faith, Works, and the Gospel of Jesus the King
  • Netochka Nezvanova
  • Everything in Its Place: First Loves and Last Tales
  • The Village of Stepanchikovo
Patrick Henry Reardon is pastor of All Saints' Orthodox Church in Chicago, Illinois, and a senior editor of Touchstone magazine.

Father Patrick was educated at Southern Baptist Theological Seminary (Louisville, KY), St. Anselm's College (Rome), The Pontifical Biblical Institute (Rome), and St. Tikhon's Orthodox Seminary (South Canaan, PA).

He has authored many books including
“I, for one, find it difficult to picture adolescent Jesus looking up suddenly one day from a page of Job or Chronicles and exclaiming, “Wow, what an insight! That really does make sense!” Jesus was not “working out” a religious theory. He was taking possession of his own identity.” 0 likes