Start by marking “City of the Fallen Sky” as Want to Read:
City of the Fallen Sky

City of the Fallen Sky (Pathfinder Tales #8)

3.85  ·  Rating details ·  218 Ratings  ·  27 Reviews
Once an alchemical researcher with the dark scholars of the Technic League, Alaeron fled their arcane order when his conscience got the better of him, taking with him a few strange devices of unknown function. Now in hiding in a distant city, he’s happy to use his skills creating minor potions and wonders—at least until the back-alley rescue of an adventurer named Jaya lan ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 384 pages
Published May 15th 2012 by Paizo Publishing, LLC

To ask other readers questions about City of the Fallen Sky, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about City of the Fallen Sky

Jacob Proffitt
Jan 22, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, rpg
While the Pathfinder Tales are fun stories, I begin to see that they are targeted at a specific demographic--a demographic with an appetite for adventure and zero appetite for romance.

Which makes the books fun, but also makes me wary of potential romantic entanglements. That particularly hampered my enjoyment of this book because Jaya is so obviously a manipulative con who uses sex (or the promise of it) as a tool to get what she wants. It doesn't help that Alaeron is both a good guy and so obvi
Chris Jackson
Mar 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
I am quickly becoming a huge fan of the Pathfinder Tales novels; they are quick and fun reads, and I have yet to find one that was poorly written, plotted or paced. They are all based in the Pathfinder world of Golarion, but even if you don't play Pathfinder, the online references that paizo puts up on the Pathfinder Wiki are enough to get you oriented.

City of the Fallen Sky really tweaked one of my happy reader nerves with the introduction of the main character, Alaeron, who is an alchemist and
Peter
Dec 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is best pathfinder novel I read so far. The pathfinder novels are stories that are set in the world Golarion of the pathfinder roleplay. I like to read these books because they flesh out the world I use in my roleplay games.

And this book, like I said before, is the best of the pathfinder novels I read so far. Because of different reasons three unlikely characters undertake a difficult journey in search of a legendary lost city. From this synopsis you might conclude that this is a cliché fa
William
Jul 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
A good view of a couple of the more interesting regions of Golarion here, Numeria and the jungles south of the desert nations. Fun story.
Sandra
Sep 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One night Alaeron, an alchemical researcher, comes upon a young woman being held at knife point by two suspicious looking men who believe she owes their master a large sum of money. Alaeron isn't one for getting involved in other people's affairs, but when women are involved, he makes an exception. Using a powerful time altering egg device, Alaeron stops the villains in their tracks, and gets the woman to safety. She tells him her name is Jaya and thanks him for saving her life, but she warns hi ...more
Jonathan Spadafora
Sep 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Awesome book. I put this up there with winter witch. almost as good as the Pathfinder tales pirates books or liers blade and the rest. can't wait to read more Pathfinder tales as most have been really good. definitely read winter's tomb web fiction. it's a prologue to this. it has Rodrick from liers blade as well.
Marvin
Nov 08, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Took this off the shelf because I figured a story about an alchemist would be something different. I suppose it is, at least a little bit. The hero, Alaeron, remains far more invested in ancient-alien technological artifacts--and pining aimlessly after his companion Jaya--than anything particularly alchemical as he's swept up in a forced excursion to the ruins of an ancient flying city crashed a continent away. Which is fine, but, unfortunately, Alaeron is seemingly without agency throughout the ...more
Michael T Bradley
Aug 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Sweet! I loved Tim Pratt writing for Forgotten Realms, and just found out he's written for Pathfinder, too. This was a great book! Essentially it follows the alchemist Aeleron as he's pressured into a trip to a fallen floating city (NOT Netheril. NOT Netheril, dammit). Along with him is Jaya, who basically got him into the mess, but for whom he has feelings; and Skiver, a heavy who's been tasked with making sure neither he nor Jaya try to run away.

Of course complications ensue, and Aeleron's pas
Joel Flank
Aug 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
Tim Pratt does a great job of evoking the flavor of the world of Golarion, and intrigues long time fans by combining elements of two of the world's greatest mysteries - the technological wonders from Numeria and the fallen sky city of Kho. In doing so, he weaves a an adventure tale reminiscent of many other searches for lost cities and treasures, and it feels like you're reading an Indiana Jones movie, but set in a fantasy world. The main characters must journey across exotic locales, deal with ...more
James
Jul 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book for what it was: A mainstream high adventure fantasy novel that you can finish in a weekend. It was not a work of art or deep threaded tapestry like Game of Thrones, but it serves its purpose and niche very well.

The story revolves around an Alchemist who is interesting if for no other reason than he stands out from many of our typical fantasy classes by his profession. He doesn't cast spells and he doesn't fight with a big sword. He throws and drinks vials.

This is a great boo
Matthew Paluch
Nov 14, 2015 rated it liked it
Adored Liars Balde and look forward to the next Liar's installment, but this didnt really do it for me. i LOVED all of the pathfinder/golarion specific lore, but i just never really cared about any of the characters or their goals or struggles.

The writing itself, stylistically, is fantastic - tim pratt knows his craft.

The lore is so good i am really at 3.5 stars. I just didnt partiocularly care for the characters.

I will say the last 2-3 chapters end the novel very very well. Instead of the us
Carlos Flores
Nov 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The book was very well done. It is what every novel in the series should aim. The connections to the RPG are palpable, the world is explored but not with much details that make world building epics boring. And the characters of Skyver and Alaeron are an unlikely pair that mixes quite well.

There wasn't even a part where I was bored or uninterested. And at each step I could find myself like I was living in the world. Though there is a problem with the character of Jaya. It was dull and fell to a
Tim Martin
Oct 27, 2013 rated it liked it
I liked it. It was a fun adventure story.
Troy Taylor
Jun 11, 2013 rated it liked it
Second Tim Pratt novel I've read. Thoroughly enjoyed his take on a "King Solomon's Mines" type adventure, including all the weird science. Most of all, he developed a wonderful back'n'forth relationship among the main characters. I'm very much looking forward to reading his next entry in the PF series.
Erez
Apr 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
fast paced, good story twists. I can't remember the last time, that a story made me want to play in the places mentioned in a book. the story describes two very peculiar and interesting places, The silver mount and The fallen city of Kho. Although giving a very good taste of those places it leaves you wanting to hear more.
Seth
Jan 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: pathfinder
One of the best reads in a while. It was fun with great pacing. Each character was distinct with a personality to get to know. The story is a fast pace adventure, but the protagonist is more clever than combative. The laughs are regular and keep you smiling.
Phil M
Aug 17, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: pathfinder
Some fantastic sections of writing (will definitely be looking for more from this author), but the overall story was pretty lame. I love adventures with a lot of travel and adventure, but there was more travel than adventure here.
Paul
Jan 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
A fun, easy read that showcased some interesting parts of Golarion. I find it interesting that Alaeron is a patriot and how it will likely play a role in how he handles certain situations in the future.
Mphecker
Sep 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
A great Pathfinder novel, with (mostly) likeable characters. Though the game rule references can be a bit heavy-handed, the interaction between the characters and the overall plot make the references forgivable.
Bram Slaats
May 30, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
This 8th book in the pathfinder tales once again brings us onto a new adventure with a new crew.

I liked how this one gave me a totally different vibe than most of the previous books while still giving me a thrilling adventure in this world.

this gets 3.5 out of 5 stars
Patrick
Jul 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: pathfinder
Temple raiding adventure with modern story twists.
John Coleman
Nov 07, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Typical RPG=based novel, entertaining but not what I'll ever reread. Alchemist as main character was a nice twist.
Skut L
Nov 11, 2013 rated it liked it
Great characterization brought this out of the mire of a stereotypical dungeon crawl.
Melanie
Jun 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Stumbled upon this Pathfinder series. I wasn't disappointed!
Vinciente Verrazzano
Jul 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
What I enjoyed most about this book is that it really expanded my view of advanced technologies from ancient civilizations in Golarion.
Colin
  • The Crusader Road
  • Bloodbound
  • Pathfinder Campaign Setting:  The Inner Sea World Guide
  • Pathfinder Roleplaying Game: Advanced Player's Guide
  • Forge of Ashes (Pathfinder Tales)
  • Skinwalkers

Pathfinder Tales (1 - 10 of 39 books)
  • Prince of Wolves
  • Death's Heretic
  • Song of the Serpent
  • Nightglass
  • Blood of the City
  • Queen of Thorns (Pathfinder Tales #11)