Start by marking “Call to Discipleship” as Want to Read:
Call to Discipleship

Call to Discipleship

In this essay Barth articulates what it means to follow Jesus in faith. He emphaisizes that discipleship involves a detachment from authority of possessions, foregoing the pursuit of personal glory, challenging the fear and use of force, the dissolution of self-evident personal attachments and a better-righteousness which goes beyond actions.
Published November 4th 2003 by Fortress Press (first published September 15th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Call to Discipleship, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Call to Discipleship

Start your review of Call to Discipleship
Dennis
Aug 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Can be profitable read by people of all faiths

Typically I have read books in the Facets series because they provide a serious engagement with an author in a limited way rather than reading the whole work. This is not just a sampling of Barth but a coherent and consistent look at the essential facet of discipleship as Barth sees it. As such it is profitably read by all who have made a decision to follow Christ and are ready to be witnesses to the liberation/salvation offered in obedience to God
Todd Stockslager
Mar 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: spiritual
Review title: Effect and cause
Faith is not obedience, but . . . faith is not faith without obedience. They belong together, as do thunder and lightning in a thunderstorm. Levi would not have obeyed if he had not risen and followed Jesus. The fishermen by the lake would not have believed if they had not immediately (euthus) left their nets and followed him. Peter on the lake would not have believed if he had not obeyed Jesus' call to come, and left the boat and gone to him on the water (Matt.
Thom Drozdowski
Jul 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Decent book

Could have used more of an overview and more detail. I know this was an "explorers guide", and I definitely felt guided, but felt a little too short, especially for something as long as CD
Marvin Johnson
May 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is the first work of Barth that I have read and it was a good challenging read. I found myself putting the book down and just thinking about what I had just read. Sometimes wrestling, sometimes saying “Amen,” but always engaged and convicted. I’ll have to revisit this one again and again.
Benjamin
Dec 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Initial Question:

How does Barth describe the life of discipleship? What does it look like and how is it "good news" in his words?

---

The call of Jesus is grace and the walk of discipleship is salvation. It's simple, like Bonhoeffer put it. It's only a matter of yes or no.

...and seeing the call as grace and salvation itself is the propellant for obedience.

---

Barth's language on discipleship was strong and unwavering. Often, discipleship feels skirted and Jesus' words are explained away with a,
Juli
Apr 21, 2009 rated it really liked it
Barth got my attention. In The Call to Discipleship Karl Barth reflects on and challenges the reader to better understand what it means to answer Jesus when he says, “Follow me.” Barth describes God’s grace as “a grace that commands” and encourages the reader that discipleship involves action. He writes in an attention-grabbing fashion that motivates you to listen. I was inspired by the reading to pay attention and to try to obey in the moment rather than worrying about what may or may not ...more
Hans
Jul 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is just a small selection from Barth's much larger Church Dogmatics. Its fine for what it is, nothing special and I see no reason to have this and not Barth's Church Dogmatics if you are interested in Barth's thought/theology.
Erin
Seemed an awfully poor translation, and full of typos. Too bad.
Pastor Jamie Strickler
Written for the intellectual Theologian who appreciates a philosophical yet rooted in scripture stance on the call to discipleship.
Graham
Feb 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013-books-read
I wish he had talked about the communal understanding/dimension of discipleship, but other than that I enjoyed it.
Steve Johnson
Jan 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing
To obey is to do as told, nothing more, nothing less. To be a disciple of Jesus one must obey his commands, nothing more, nothing less. His command is to love.
Ted Morgan
« previous 1 3 next »

• Let Justice Roll Down
  • A Theology of the Ordinary
  • Jesus and the Disinherited
Karl Barth (pronounced "bart") was a Swiss Reformed theologian whom critics hold to be among the most important Christian thinkers of the 20th century; Pope Pius XII described him as the most important theologian since Thomas Aquinas. Beginning with his experience as a pastor, he rejected his training in the predominant liberal theology typical of 19th-century Protestantism, especially German.