Start by marking “Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Harry Potter, #5, Part 1)” as Want to Read:
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Harry Potter, #5, Part 1)

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Harry Potter, #5, Part 1)

Audiobook
Published 2003 by BBC Audiobooks

To ask other readers questions about Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, please sign up.
Sydney Hughes Did you read the book? If you did, you'd know the answer pretty easily.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Patty JK Rowling has said it's because he was too young when he saw his parents die and he couldn't comprehend it.

Vaneesha
Jul 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Can we talk about the fact that Sirius hated Grimmauld Place just as much as Harry hated Privet Drive. Yet Dumbledore made both of them remain in a toxic environment for their own "safety".
Susan Kennedy
Oct 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
Oh, this book is just full of a bit of everything. I love how they keep me interested. It draws me right into that world that she has so brilliantly created.

I love the Weasley twins. They are just so much fun. I love how they are so rebellious and they take it to a new level in this book when they go up against Umbridge. They really are brilliant and they put that to what they love and are good at. I just love them!

Delores Umbridge is a hag! I’m not even sure that I loathe Voldemort as much as I
Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice*
Mudbloods and werewolves, traitors and thieves, suspense, secrets and thrilling action.

An excellent series to begin with, it just keeps on getting better & better!
Erth
Nov 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The fun and excitement never ends.
Rachel
Nov 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I genuinely can't get over how much they changed in the films...I always said the fifth movie was my least favourite, and maybe I was too young to fully understand the book as I never enjoyed it as much as the others...but now I think it could be up there. Oh Sirius.
S. Stevens
Oct 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book makes for uncomfortable reading at the start - Harry is in a very dark place in the beginning, both mentally and physically. Rowling's great storytelling keeps you on board though, and finally, at chapter 10 Harry is on the train to Hogwarts and all seems well... The lighter mood is short-lived. Harry is no longer the school hero, he's viewed with suspicion - an outsider. What 15 year old wouldn't identify with Harry here? The arrival of the wonderful antagonist Professor Umbridge puts ...more
Rebecca Saxon
Mar 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
What I love most about this book is how we experience along with Harry his developing understanding of the wizarding world. In the first book it's much more about the magic of the, well, magical world and his school, which still has some darkness. In the second Harry starts to learn more about wizard history but it's still grounded in Hogwarts history. In the third, his understanding of his family and who shaped his life is expanded. In the fourth, he starts to see beyond the world of Hogwarts a ...more
Regina
Jul 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
Even though I'd read this before and recently re-watched the film, I found myself staying up far too late last night (well, into this morning actually) to finish this book because I was enjoying it so much. That said, you can tell that J.K. Rowling is a parent because she has so perfectly captured that "I'm 15, I know everything, I don't have to listen to anyone else" within Harry that I just wanted to reach into the pages and slap him at times. I remembered all the key parts of the book (especi ...more
Mark Grisham
Feb 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This one's one of my most favourite in the Harry Potter series, probably because of all the characters like Neville, Luna and Ginny. We get to watch them become much more confident wizards and witches, and I found the relationship of Harry and Sirius striking close to home for me personally. (view spoiler) ...more
Annanya Pandey
Jan 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Harry Potter is attacked by a couple of Dementors with his cousin Dudley. He produces a Patronus charm but is called for hearing at the Ministry of Magic. To top it all up he thinks that Dumbledore along with Hermione and Ron and the some others, even Sirius are hiding something very important from him. Moreover after the Dementor attack, he is locked all the time in his room at the Dursley house.

When the Dursleys are out, Harry is busted out of the house by Lupin, Mad-Eye Moody, Tonks, Kingsley
Namratha
This is not a review.
This is a trip down memory lane or to be more precise, a leisurely stroll through the Department of Mysteries.
Walk with me, fellow Potterheads.
---------------

Moment #1 : 'Ministry of Magic?' bellowed Uncle Vernon. 'People like you in government! Oh, this explains everything, everything, no wonder the country's going to the dogs.'

HP facts - Ministry of magic.
---------------

Moment #2 : She seized Dudley by the shoulders and shook him, as though testing to see whether she could hear his soul rattling arou

Robyn (FailFish)
Sep 17, 2013 rated it it was ok
I am a huge Harry Potter fan and eagerly followed each book as it came out once I was old enough to understand these things (which was when I was around 6). This was the first book that I remember anticipating the arrival of - and when it did arrive, I was really disappointed.

It is without a doubt the worst book in the series. It is overly long - it could be around a third of the length and still contain everything of importance - fails to make its point most of the time, and mostly seems to fun
Katieh
Oct 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
good book but very long, a great challenge for those who do not enjoy reading so much.
Olivia McMullan
Oct 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D
alfie
Jun 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
It's a good book. Couldd be a great read if it wasn't so unnecasarily long. I agree with other reviewers that you could easily trim the book in half and still keep the all the key bits - it just feels a bit 'rambly' at points.

However, I think this is the first book of the Potter series to have a seriously dark theme throughout. Harry's safety is constantly under threat, Harry's temper and anger seems uncontrolable, and to round it off Professor Umbridge is so nasty and viscious that I actually w
Hans Nijs
Jul 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is, in the emotional aspect, the darkest book of them all.
Harry is really grosing up into an adult, but his dark side seems to take over him.
Voldemort has returned and he fears the connection between himself and the Dark Lord.
Again, things happen that you didn't expect.
Not only is Harry emotional confused, but the new teacher DADA is a real bitch (sorry). This makes life at Hogwarts even worse, but then he becomes the leader of a new student group, called Dumbledore's Army. And things beco
Nina
Sep 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I think it was a really good book. It follows the four previous book rather well with one new twist. You really feel how the main characteres have grown from children to small adults, although they are only around 15. There is a lot more puberty-problems, but it still has the same amount of mysteries and humour as always. Once again they face some new problems they think they have to take care of, both on the inside and the outside of the school.
Samira
Aug 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
I finally finished all the seven books of HP...and I should say...I would have missed it if I wouldn't have decided to read it...it was awesome...and the saddest part was Sirius dying, but I think as Dumbledore cleared much air by talking to Harry, so now the other things will come along real well.
I read book 6 & 7 when it was released, and saw movie for the other 5 parts, but now, I can see how many scenes were improvised and so many important scenes were deleted. So now its clear to me.
Monika Sri
Oct 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
The events lead to the death of Sirius and Dubledore's explanation for it is nt up to the mark..hw come dumledore had failed to warn Harry(though he was proved to be poor at occlumency ) about the possiblity of being lured by voldermort is nt at all convincing to me. So I had to restrain my self from giving 5 stars.
Ern Richardson
Jan 16, 2017 rated it liked it
This book proves that Harry is literally the worst character in the whole Harry Potter series.
Layla
Jun 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-own
Oh my god. So many feelings all over again. I am just gonna crawl in my bed and cry for a couple of years. Sigh.
Imogen
Sep 01, 2016 added it
Re-read for the millionth time September 2016 bc all the students were going back to Hogwarts and I felt like going too.
Jenna Bartow
Sep 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
rereading the series!!
Kat Irvine
Aug 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016, reread
Yes, Harry is a bit whiny in this book, but It's still amazing!! absolutely sobbed at the end!
Monday Ikhide
Dec 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I haven't heard of Harry Potter and the order of the Phoenix but I'm really curious of what will happen so I'll see what will happen wrote by Daniella Ikhide age 7, 82 Cornwallis street
BooksAndRae
Apr 16, 2017 rated it liked it
Taking me over 2 months to finish this should give an idea on how much I enjoyed the book... not a lot.

Now to be fair this is only because Umbridge's character at some point led me to going into a reading slump and I could not go on reading the book further but, the last few chapters were enjoyable when I got around to reading the book again and did get to me (😭 poor 🐶) and I obviously will continue on the series because it is one of my many goals for this year 😅
Sheri
Nov 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
#5 did not disappoint. The story line is becoming darker and Harry is struggling to understand who he really is.
Skk11
Dec 18, 2017 rated it liked it
testjjhjh
Ashley M
Nov 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Always fantastic. I like this one more each time I read it, despite it not being close to a favorite in the series. So good!
Paul Riches
Jul 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix: To Speak The Truth With Bravery

We are over half way through the wonderfully amazing Harry Potter series, and from this point onwards every book is almost universally great. The war is brewing and Harry is getting ready for Voldemort. But only if he can survive his supposed allies tormenting him. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J.K. Rowling steps firmly and forevermore into adulthood for our friends.

J.K. goes for the jugular right off the to
Dolores Jane Umbridge - Met One, Ever? 3 11 Jul 01, 2017 01:03AM
Goodreads Librari...: Please add/update details 3 15 Mar 11, 2016 08:17AM
Harry Potter Fanclub: The Order of the Phoenix 3 8 Jun 05, 2015 12:33PM
The Nerd Herd: Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix 7 13 Oct 15, 2013 06:03PM
  • Mad Dogs (Cherub, #8)
  • Double or Die (Young Bond, #3)
  • Extreme Kissing