Start by marking “Magic of the Angels (Doctor Who: Quick Reads series Book 6)” as Want to Read:
Magic of the Angels (Doctor Who: Quick Reads series Book 6)

Magic of the Angels

(Doctor Who: Quick Reads #6)

When the Doctor, Amy and Rory see an amazing magic act, the Doctor thinks he knows why so many young girls are going missing around London. Teaming up with the residents of an old people's home to discover the truth, the friends find themselves face to face with a deadly Weeping Angel.
Published February 2nd 2012 by BBC

To ask other readers questions about Magic of the Angels, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Magic of the Angels

Start your review of Magic of the Angels (Doctor Who: Quick Reads series Book 6)
Jim Ef
Sep 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Come along Ponds!!!
How much i missed hearing this, or in this case reading.

I really enjoyed this short story, it has the classic Doctor Who pack of action, mystery and comedy. The doctor with his beloved companions are on vacation in London, but of course, where the Doctor is there's trouble. This time is a magician who uses whipping angels in his act.

The story is interesting and fast paced plus the characters are nicely treated. I think i liked this even more since it's about the eleventh Docto
Brooklyn Tayla
This was slightly terrifying, as expected, but really cool.
Ken
Aug 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
As great as The Weeping Angles are, I can't help but feel that they were slightly overused during Smiths era as The Doctor.

But what I liked about this quick read was that it also focuses on there victims too.
There's some great nods to previous televised stories and a wonderful Classic Series reference too.
Natalia
Magic and Weeping Angels. Frightening and cool at the same time, but still too short!
Paul Baldowski
Feb 25, 2012 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Kids with an interest in Who but short attention spans
A Quick Read can easily just slip by in a single sitting. At the end, you might feel the urge to go out and read more of an author, or you might be inspired to read another and another. A Quick Read done well provides a somewhat self contained tale that has a distinct beginning, middle and an end - and presents them with style, energy, enthusiasm, engagement... one or another, several or all.

Somewhere in the mix, 'Magic of the Angels' tells a self-contained tale with all the necessary elements,
Gretchen
This is the first Doctor Who novel(la?) I've read. It was enjoyable enough for an evening distraction. The plot was predictable, but not uninteresting. The characters (the Doctor, Amy, and Rory) acted a bit out-of-character at times, which was slightly disappointing as each has been so well established in the television series, but the intrinsic spirit of each character was retained. The overall story was very brief, making it great for a one-sitting read, but keeping it from delving too far int ...more
Suset
This book was awesome!!!!!!

This book was the first doctor who book I've ever read, and I'm glad I picked this one. I enjoyed this book so much, I made sure to get more of them, for, I am a major whovian. the only thing I didn't like about this book was that it was a bit short, but that's not an excuse for not liking the book, and anyway, it was a quick-read. it was funny and I could tell the author knew what they were writing and that they definitely have watched doctor who. if an 11 year-old gi
Katja
Jan 16, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Eleven, Amy, Rory and a Weeping Angel - how could I have resisted? Well written and gripping this book gave me two evenings of reading pleasure. I have to admit, however, that the ending was not a surprise and turned out to be pretty much what I expected - which is always a bit disappointing in a Doctor Who story, at least for me.
The characters are spot on, though; I could hear them in my head and enjoyed myself immensely.
This one will surely stay on my Kindle for a long time.
Barbara Trice
Very good short story about Dr. Who. I am a very big fan of Dr. Who and have been for many years

A very good short story of Dr. Who and Rory and Amy. I have been a fan of Dr. Who for many years! This is the first in print episode for me though. I will be looking for more. Thanks an Amazon and Goodreads reader
Joey Woolfardis
[Short review from memory to remind myself of my thoughts before I re-read and re-review]

(Definite re-read, but the previous of the series first. Initial memories: decent DW story with good writing. No idea on plot.)
Helen Hnin
Short but enjoyable.

The trio was having fun. (And getting kicked out of so many places because of the Doctor.) They tried to watch "Sammy Star, Master of Magic" show in a theater, and found out that a weeping angel is in the middle of it all.
Dec 31, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
I love the Quick Reads. I found this one to be quite entertaining.
Vera
Aug 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: doctor-who, 2013
The Weeping Angels are one of my favourite villains, so I loved this book. I seriously read it in 1 hour, because it was so awesome.
Robyn Cain
Jun 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book in about 2 hours, while trying to figure out what to read next. It was SO enjoyable and it felt like a gift of a new episode with my favorite Doctor and Amy & Rory. ...more
Stina
Oct 15, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Weeping angels and missing girls is the storyline of this book and although it's very short it's a good story, it is in the Quick read series so this will only take you an hour maybe hour and a half to read and is therefore the perfect book to read in between books when you just need a break from the one you're currently reading or if your a child and just want to start reading but doesn't really know if reading is for you, you will however need to have knowledge about the doctor who universe si ...more
Stefan
Jul 05, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sophie
Nov 18, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I always see Doctor Who books on the shelves when I'm book hunting. I fancied a snappy read so thought I'd try one with the Weeping Angels; my favourite bad guys from the Doctor Who re-boot. The book was actioned packed and just what I was after for a quick read. I didn't think it was well written though, as it relied heavily on the reader having been introduced to the Weeping Angels before (either through other books in the series or the TV show). I still enjoyed it though.
Sarah M.
I did enjoy this little "quick read" but it was obviously targeted at a younger audience, which isn't exactly what I was expecting (but that's on me)! I enjoyed the little call backs to other doctors and fan theories contained therein, and I found it to be a really fun and cute little story, but I wish it could have been more substantial. Either way, it was enjoyable as long as you keep in mind it's probably aimed at young ones.
Frank
Oct 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This story would make a good episode of Dr Who. It gets a bit confusing at the end but then it wouldn't be Dr Who if it wasn't sometimes! Such is Science Fiction! I like the way it references past events in the Dr's past which helps paint a mental picture for the reader and, as the reader will be a Dr Who fan, this book is easy to visualise! Overall a good quick read! :-)
Nicole Silverlance
Oct 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Oh, I love the Doctor and I love the Weeping angels so much.
The angels are definitely my favorite villains from Doctor Who and I can never get enough of them. They are fascinating beings that I would like to read about as much as possible.
This is a quick fun read that I want all Doctor Who fans to read, if you haven’t already.
Whatever you do - don’t blink!
Emily Ross
I really liked this book! The Doctor, Amy and Rory were well characterised and there were time shenanigans involved with magic and Weeping Angels. Very good.
Eva
Sep 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Every single Weeping angel story makes me cry. I don't know why. I cried reading this too. On the last 2 pages.
And well done Jacqueline Rayner, you are very clever! (That rhymed)
Oct 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very enjoyable, quick read.
Eleanor
Oct 19, 2017 rated it it was ok
It was a quick fun read.
Li, Yuanyuan
Mar 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very intersting. Story about angels always frighten me.
K. Counihan
Oct 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Doctor, Amy, and Rory Battle Weeping Angels

Not quite as good as the rest of the series, but still half decent tale if you are familiar with The Doctor and the weeping angels legacy.
Nathanael Jhilinkov
Very meh and underwhelming.
Maddie
Jan 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
It's Doctor Who, it's hard to give it less than 4 stars. But somewhere between 3,5 to 4. It was a fun and quick read. The characters were spot on and it has some funny moments. The plot was fun, but since it was about the weeping angels I was expecting it to be more scary. It was sometimes written a bit childish, but other than that I loved it!
Hannah
Oct 29, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was actually much shorter than I expected, and there was definitely room for expansion. I know it's a Quick Read, but it could easily have been beefed up to the length of a regular novelization. As it "Magic Of The Angels" ends up an enjoyable but fairly simple yarn that doesn't really capitalize on the creepiness potential of the Weeping Angels.

One area in which it does stand apart from the other Moffat-era books, however, is that this story actually acknowledges the canon of the previous
Craig Hansen
Writing good Doctor Who is tricky enough when you are a script-writer. Pulling it off convincingly, so that Doctor 11 is distinctly and recognizably different from the character's previous incarnations, in print, is doubly challenging.

It's a task author Jacqueline Rayner manages to pull off, more often than not, in the short space of this pleasant novella. Although not quite groundbreaking nor forging new ground, Magic of the Angels is an enjoyable enough read, even though the prose at times see
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Doctor Who: Touched By An Angel
  • Doctor Who: The Legends of River Song
  • The Angel's Kiss: A Melody Malone Mystery
  • Doctor Who: Silhouette
  • Doctor Who: The Day of the Doctor
  • Doctor Who: The Story of Martha (Doctor Who: New Series Adventures #28)
  • Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
  • Doctor Who: The Forgotten Army (Doctor Who: New Series Adventures #39)
  • Doctor Who: Dead of Winter
  • The Secret in Vault 13: A Doctor Who Story
  • Doctor Who: The Missy Chronicles
  • Doctor Who: Prisoner of the Daleks
  • Claws of the Macra (Doctor Who: Decide Your Destiny, #13)
  • Doctor Who: Diamond Dogs
  • Doctor Who: Time Reaver (The Tenth Doctor Adventures, #1.2)
  • Doctor Who: Rose
  • Doctor Who: The Maze of Doom
  • Doctor Who: Nuclear Time
Jacqueline Rayner is a best selling British author, best known for her work with the licensed fiction based on the long-running British science fiction television series Doctor Who.

Her first professional writing credit came when she adapted Paul Cornell's Virgin New Adventure novel Oh No It Isn't! for the audio format, the first release by Big Finish. (The novel featured the character of Bernice S

Doctor Who: Quick Reads (7 books)
  • Doctor Who: I Am a Dalek