Start by marking “D-E-D Dead!” as Want to Read:
D-E-D Dead!

D-E-D Dead! (Alby Murdoch #1)

3.88  ·  Rating details ·  93 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
From the moment Alby drops his gun on a St Kilda tram he knows he’s in for a bad day. Then his partner Harry is gunned down in a Double Bay coffee shop. By lunchtime Alby realises someone wants him dead—and they want him dead now.

All Alby wants is some pasta, a good bottle of wine and to know more about the mysterious Grace Goodluck…long dark hair, legs up to there, and pi
Audio CD
Published May 1st 2012 by Bolinda Audio (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about D-E-D Dead!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about D-E-D Dead!

David
Aug 16, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A funny, irreverent and well written Australian spy/thriller spoof by Geoff McGeachin. The central character, Alby Murdoch is a talented photographer for Worldpix, a legitimate profit-making photographic enterprise. This in turn provides an excellent cover for Alby's real job, as a spy for the Directorate for Extra-territorial Defence (D-E-D) - another Australian government funded security acronym.

Alby is likeable, laconic and amusing in a 'laugh out loud' kind of way. He and his partner Harry
Tyson Adams
Feb 12, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As I've already read this I will leave the original review below. While I enjoyed the book a second time, I didn't enjoy it as much as when I originally read it. That is partly because I noticed more things that troubled me slightly about the writing, and found the novel less humorous. While the latter could just have been my current mood, the former was related to how female characters were described. I understand that this is meant to be a Bond-esque spy novel with Aussie larrikin traits, but ...more
Richard
I had this marked to read years ago. When I ran across it at my library, I grabbed it and gave it a listen. I enjoyed the story and presentation. Give it a try.
Katie
Jun 12, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Funny, eccentric and hilariously written. Geoffrey McGeachin writes a great detective story where you are left guessing the whole way through.
Kathleen Hagen
D-E-D Dead, by Geoffrey McGeachin, A-minus. Narrated by Peter Hosking, produced by Bolinda Publishing, downloaded from audible.com.

This is one of those books with a wonderfully sharp wit and dark humor, and Hosking reads it very well. Albie is a photographer who works for an Australian company DED. He produces world-famous photographs which he can sell to the Likes of National Geographic, but this company’s real purpose is to ferret out private information of use to the government. He and his fr
Lyn Richards
May 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book. It was a good paced storyline. I loved the fact that the author provided the reader with an update of the characters Faith and Martin from his novel, fat, fifty and f**ked.....very clever.

In this story Alby predictably bumbles his way from one crazy situation to the next, which just adds to his likability.

It was a fun read..
Marti
Jun 12, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adult
Entertaining. Guys would probably get more out of this than I did. Lots of references to specific types of guns, bombs, airplane engines, machinery that were kind of wasted on me but it was a fun-to-read modern spy novel.
Charmaine
May 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
I listened to the Bolinda Audio Book on a long car journey and laughed out loud so often at the dry wit and quirky remarks that my husband was feeling left out! Thoroughly enjoyed the crazy story line and the narrator was engrossing. Another good job Bolinda.
Michael
May 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
Thoroughly enjoyable light fun
much Australiana
I'm looking forward to reading more of Alby
James Anderson
Mar 06, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good spy thriller with an Aussie bent and sense of humour. Mentions locations you might know if you've visited parts of Oz. a good page turner.
Deb Bodinnar
First book by the Author that I have read. It was amusing in parts, slow in others but I did enjoy it.
Matt Moor
Jun 15, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hilarious Aussie larakin take on James Bond.
Karl
Oct 18, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well written and quite funny. I wanted to start reading Australian authors, so I started here. I hope this is the beginning of a happy reading road.
Cherie
Jan 18, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quirky in the way it's written. Quite humourous.

Was a bit slow in some places but the writing made up for it.
Mark Chesterfield
Jun 06, 2015
Jun 25, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Goodreads Librari...: D-E-D Dead! needs a cover 2 13 May 10, 2015 04:19AM
Melbourne-born Geoff McGeachin has spent much of his life shooting pictures for advertising, travel, theatre and feature films. His work has taken him all over the world including stints living in Los Angeles, New York and Hong Kong. He is now based in Sydney, where he teaches photography and writes.

His first novel, FAT, FIFTY & F***ED! won the inaugural AUSTRALIAN POPULAR FICTION COMPETITION
More about Geoffrey McGeachin...

Alby Murdoch (3 books)