Start by marking “Castle: How It Works” as Want to Read:

3.99  ·  Rating details ·  159 Ratings  ·  43 Reviews
Take a tour of a medieval castle.

Every part of the castle has a function. Walls keep the enemy out. Towers protect the lord and the soldiers. From the moat and portcullis to the great hall and dungeon, see how a castle works as an enemy army tries to storm the walls.

Castle: How It Works is a Kirkus Reviews Best Children's Book of 2012
Published September 18th 2012 by David Macaulay Studio

To ask other readers questions about Castle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Castle

Cynthia Egbert
Dec 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library
If you have a child who has any interest in castles, knights, kings and queens, or history, this one is a terrific read. The illustrations really make things clear and the author outlines all of the most important parts of the castle, even the "bathrooms".
Michael Fitzgerald
Dec 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: easy-readers
Surprisingly informative - a great introduction to the subject.
Sheila
Very educational, and I would imagine it would be well received by its young intended audience. All aspects of life in the castle are covered, including the things that would interest kids, such as invaders and how they might attack the castle using a catapult to throw a dead flaming pig over the wall (with lovely illustration to boot) as well as details of life in the castle including where you went to the bathroom, where your poop went (with illustrations of the chute built into the wall,with ...more
Stephanie Pieck
Dec 01, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: print-braille
Bravo to an author who manages to make medieval history and engineering both engaging and fun to learn about. My favorite fact: "The priest is one of the few people in the castle who can read." I was also intrigued by the way rainwater was collected on the chapel roof. And at last, I have a clear understanding of a portcullis. I hope National Braille Press, the organization that produced the print/Braille version of this book, produces the author's volume on the cathedral.
Cathy Knight
Categories/Genres for this class fulfilled by this book: Non-fiction, easy-reader

Copyright date: 2012

Estimate of age level of interest: K-3

Estimate of reading level: Dewey: 728.8; Int Lvl: K-3; Rd Lvl: 3.1

Brief description:

Identify at least 2 characteristics of this genre and subgenre and discuss how they appear in your book.
One characteristic of this genre is reduced vocabulary. The sentences are short and the vocabulary is simple. The illustrations clearly support the text with great detail.
Jordan Brown
Mar 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: for-etl-2368
Author: David Macaulay
Reading Level: ages 6-10

Macaulay, David (2012) Castle: How It Works London: Macmillan

This book is a non-fiction look at how life was like inside a medieval castle. Also, the book focuses on the exterior and interior of the castle, and it's many defensive components. I have a particular taste for all things medieval, so this book really catches my interest.

First off, it's very informative and breaks down the infrastructure of a castle down brilliantly. T
Janessa
Aug 08, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: early-chapter
Yay! A book my science-minded 8-year-old wants to read! It is hard to find a book that will keep him in his seat. But when our daily reading time was over today, he stayed put and kept turning pages. I love that this book has a higher reading level, without an overwhelming amount of text. Maccauley does an excellent job of assembling intriguing facts and infusing them with the perfect amount of story-telling. For example, he begins the book with the idea that a castle is meant to keep people out ...more
Jeanne Adamek
Oct 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An absolutely wonderful book to read to or with children that are interested in the past and castles. David Macaulay has a phenomenal way of explaining without talking down to a child. The illustrations are fantastic, very scrupulous done so that the child can follow with the pictures as well as with the words.

For me, it was the pleasure I got while looking in the bright eyes of my eight year old grandson as we were reading this together.

This book was recommended by my Goodreads friend Lorraine,
Christina Fisher
Castles, because they are rarely lived in anymore and provide such grandeur to behold when inside, provide a very captivating book for kids of all ages. The author, David Macaulay, gives great insight using cutaways of castles (the inside and outside of them) so that kids can see what they are truly like and what the purposes were of their different features. The illustrations are realistic and show the castle being used, so that readers will know what life was like inside a castle. The drawbrid ...more
Gps
very informative in the David Macauley style; plenty of information to keep the young reader interested, and the illustrations add tremendously.

also, no glossing in this non fiction book, e.g. infected pig is ready to be catapulted into the castle.

book will challenge the adult reader b/c there will be plenty of questions.

although focused on the early/beginner reader, the text may be too difficult, and the print is too small.

but, enjoy, high quality work, by an excellent writer.
  • Ocean Sunlight: How Tiny Plants Feed the Seas
  • From the Good Mountain: How Gutenberg Changed the World
  • Electric Ben: The Amazing Life and Times of Benjamin Franklin
  • The Case of the Vanishing Honeybees: A Scientific Mystery
  • Handel, Who Knew What He Liked
  • A Rock Is Lively
  • The House That Jane Built: A Story about Jane Addams
  • Snakes
  • Hoop Genius: How a Desperate Teacher and a Rowdy Gym Class Invented Basketball
  • I, Galileo
  • Good Queen Bess: The Story of Elizabeth I of England
  • Dogs on Duty: Soldiers' Best Friends on the Battlefield and Beyond
  • Kubla Khan: The Emperor of Everything
  • Mrs. Harkness and the Panda
David Macaulay, born in 1946, was eleven when his parents moved from England to Bloomfield, New Jersey. He found himself having to adjust from an idyllic English childhood to life in a fast paced American city. During this time he began to draw seriously, and after graduating from high school he enrolled in the Rhode Island School of Design (RISD). After spending his fifth year at RISD in Rome on ...more
More about David Macaulay...