Start by marking “Adventures in Cartooning: Christmas Special!” as Want to Read:
Adventures in Cartooning: Christmas Special!

Adventures in Cartooning: Christmas Special!

(Adventures in Cartooning #3)

Christmas is coming! The Magic Cartooning Elf and his friend the Knight join forces to make a Christmas comic for Santa to give to all the boys and girls in the world. As with previous installments in the Adventures in Cartooning series, Adventures in Cartooning: Christmas Special is a zany adventure story seamlessly integrated with nuggets of practical cartooning tips: ho ...more
Published September 18th 2012 by First Second

To ask other readers questions about Adventures in Cartooning, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Adventures in Cartooning

Start your review of Adventures in Cartooning: Christmas Special!
Janie Lee
Feb 01, 2017 rated it it was ok
It was a little TOO corny and it was not the most entertaining book ever. But it was pretty adorable.
Reviews By Katlyn
Aug 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing

Adventures in Cartooning: Christmas Special
By: James Sturm, Andrew Arnold, Alexis Frederick-Frost
Expected publication: September 18th 2012 by First Second
ISBN: 1596437308 / ISBN13: 9781596437302

Overall Rating:

I received an advanced copy of this book and it is not due to come up until September 18th 2012, but you can pre-order a copy by clicking this link: Adventures in Cartooning: Christmas Special

I love how the cover art is really creative and funny.

I love the illustr
First Second Books
Dec 04, 2012 marked it as first-second-publications
This is the absolute best book for this holiday season because it combines two awesome things -- a comic (and when are comics not wonderful?) and a holiday cartoon special (one of my favorite parts of this season).

Plus, it has our favorite knight, the most adorable horse ever, AND Santa Claus! Santa also has a super-charming dog, which makes me want to write a small story called 'Santa and the Charming Dog Who Was Mostly Unhelpful But Nonetheless Saves Christmas.' We will see what comes of this
tony dillard jr
Dec 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book came out in 2012. I have literally waited 6 years to read this book by James Sturm (The Golem's Mighty Swing). Every year I try to get my hands on my library's copy. Yet it's always checked out and on backlog. By the time it's finally up for grabs, it's the middle of January and I have to wait another holiday season for my chance! Well, 2018 was the year I got lucky.

I really enjoy the Adventures in Cartooning series. This all-ages read entertains while teaching about the ins and outs
Michael
Dec 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: the-kids-books
Silly fun.
Mikey
Dec 27, 2016 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: no one
I can't tell whether Christmas ruined the book, or the book ruined Christmas. ...more
Sarah Sammis
Apr 13, 2012 rated it liked it
Adventures in Cartooning: Christmas Special by James Sturm is the follow up to Adventures in Cartooning: How to Turn Your Doodles into Comics. This time, the knight (princess) is called into duty to help Santa save Christmas in a time when children are more interested in apps, videos and other electronic forms of entertainment.

The book opens with Santa up in arms over the closure of his workshop. The elves have given up woodworking for app development. They're making flash games at the North Pol
Kristen Harvey
Jul 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Plot: Santa Claus is getting ready for Christmas, when he realizes children do not want quality toys any more. He thinks up writing a comic book for children to enjoy and with the help of a special elf, they find an exciting Christmas story to send to children. When they are distributed, Santa still does not hear back from children and so the elf asks readers to create their own comic story to share to cheer Santa up. The humor and the fun format of this Christmas special of Adventures in Carto ...more
Carol
Oct 09, 2012 rated it liked it
Santa is dismayed that children don't seem to appreciate his traditional gifts anymore. They just want everything digital and modern. All of the elves are computer programmers instead of toy makers. They have even set all the reindeer free since all these newfangled gifts can be uploaded to the server. Santa seeks out the assistance of The Magical Cartooning Elf and the Brave Knight to come up with a plan for a real book as a Christmas gift. Together they rhyme and draw their way to a clever lit ...more
Brianna
Aug 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is a really cute Christmas book for kids and even some younger tweens. The storyline is great and the cartoon drawings throughout are wonderful. In this book you'll find bright vivid illustrations on every page. The story really reminds me of like an updated version of The Night Before Christmas.
This is a great addition to any family's book shelf. My suggestion: buy the book early enough so that the kids can really enjoy reading it several times before the holidays, afterwards, pack it up w
Seth Kenlon
May 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Amazing book. It analyses comics from the inside-out, and shows how you can create comics even though you may only be able to draw crudely. Doesn't go into materials or technology or anything, but it does demonstrate how re-using drawings, putting some thought into paneling and lettering, and using basic visual tricks, and of course a good story with likeable characters, can result in a very entertaining book.

The book itself is proof of this theory. It's drawn with rudimentary illustrations but
Samantha
Dec 13, 2012 rated it liked it
A rhyming story in which Santa and his elves enlist the magical cartooning elf’s to help create a Christmas comic to distribute to the kids this year. Once the story’s down they have to find a method to deliver the comic to all the kids as the reindeer have been dismissed from their duties this year.

My favorite part of this book was the elf encouraging kids to send Santa a comic this year instead of a wish list; it's a clever, creative, and appropriate idea.

Seasonal fun, though not my favorite
Katherine Cowley
Santa Claus is tired of having nothing to deliver for Christmas, what with kids only wanting digital things, and so has one of his elves write a comic book about a knight. To me, the story itself was the weakest part and the rhymes were overdone, which even the characters admitted. I did like the meta-story, and to me the redeeming factor is the last page, in which kids were given the challenge of writing a comic for Santa, and given an actual address to mail it to--the comic institute that spon ...more
Jay
Dec 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
***Won from giveaway***

Excellent and cute, its going to be re-cycled to my friend's daughter. This book is not a book that is going to tell them how to draw. The book is more of encouraging the child mind to run wild and draw whatever comes out which would work better for many children who wants to draw their own ways.
Margie
Nov 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
The trio responsible for Adventures in Cartooning: How to Turn Your Doodles into Comics! have returned. Santa is not happy but with imagination, drawing and help gals and guys are in for a special treat this year. Storyline has many great one-liners and graphics with extra details.

My full review: http://bit.ly/SYIby3
Pam
Dec 07, 2012 rated it did not like it
Okay apparently I don't get it as I could not relate to this book on any level. I did make it through to the end only because it is so short. It is full of rhymes and the illustrations are bright and colorful, but the story is just nonsensical and boring! ...more
Sharon Lawler
Dec 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
Funny storyline in a format that kids will love. Cartooon Elf has been enlisted by Santa to create a Christmas comic book in hopes that kids will request fewer tech toys. The 1st Adventures in Cartooning (2009) was about how to draw a cartoon, but the 2nd one is about developing a plot.
P.
Oct 01, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, short-stories
1. there's gotta be a way to celebrate books without hating on digital things.
2. I measure all holiday specials in cartoon form against A Garfield Christmas (ISBN 9780345353689) and it's tough competition, I tell ya.
Stacey
I read this with Caleb, when I was already upset with how much time my kids wanted to spend behind screens this summer (tv, ds, computer... I just want them to go out and play)-- cute, but I liked the first one better.
Adam
Oct 28, 2012 rated it it was ok
Loved the first book, though.
Jack
Nov 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book was just for fun. An elf told Santa that kids are asking for electronics for Christmas. A cartooning elf teaches Santa how to make comics to give to the kids to inspire them to draw.
Helen
Jul 28, 2012 marked it as to-read
OMG!! I loved the first adventures in cartooning, and so did my kids. Hope I win this!! ;)
Tim Vandenberg
May 03, 2013 rated it liked it
Cute. A celebration of real books & real imagination in a digital age.
Michelle
Dec 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
Creative,well drawn and inspiring us all to pick up our pencils,etc... and draw.Stories come to life through words and pictures.What an inspiring present!
Jen
Nov 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: pb
This was funny. It could appeal to a wide audience.
Jackie
What do kids really want in this digital age? More tech toys? More video games? Well, Santa, his elf, and a dragon give them what they really want...paper and ink to make a Christmas comic book!
Peacegal
Dec 01, 2012 rated it liked it
3.5 stars -- Cool and fun cartooning book attempts to pull the kids away from the tech and get them into art and cartooning.
Eric Bengtson
Dec 12, 2018
Dana
Nov 29, 2014
EP
rated it it was ok
Aug 18, 2020
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• CatNinja (Book 3: You Only Live 9 Lives)
  • The Adventures of Captain Underpants (Captain Underpants, #1)
  • FukuFuku: Kitten Tales 1
  • Castle in the Sky Film Comic, Vol. 4
  • Gon Underground
  • Gon: Volume 3 (Gon)
  • Stephan Pastis Timmy Failure Series 4 Books Bundle Collection (Mistakes Were Made,Now Look What You've Done,We Meet Again,Sanitized for Your Protection)
  • Cat Ninja: The Great Hamster Heist
  • Cat Ninja: The Life and times of Fury Roach
  • Cat Ninja: Le Chat Noir (book 2)
  • Cat Ninja
  • CatNinja: Family Squabbles (Book 5)
  • Alcatraz Versus the Evil Librarians (Alcatraz, #1)
  • Go Away, Unicorn!
  • Sue & Tai-chan volume 1
  • We Meet Again (Timmy Failure, #3)
  • Sue & Tai-chan 2
  • Now Look What You've Done (Timmy Failure, #2)
James Sturm is the author of several award-winning graphic novels for children and adults, including James Sturm’s America, Market Day, The Golem’s Mighty Swing and Satchel Paige: Striking Out Jim Crow. He is also the founder of the Center for Cartoon Studies and the National Association for Comics Art Educators. He created Adventures in Cartooning with collaborators Alexis Frederic-Frost and Andr ...more

Adventures in Cartooning (8 books)
  • Adventures in Cartooning: How to Turn Your Doodles Into Comics
  • Adventures in Cartooning Activity Book
  • Adventures in Cartooning: Characters in Action
  • Sleepless Knight (Adventures in Cartooning picturebook, #1)
  • Gryphons Aren't So Great (Adventures in Cartooning picturebook, #2)
  • Ogres Awake! (Adventures in Cartooning picturebook, #3)
  • Hocus Focus (Adventures in Cartooning picturebook, #4)

News & Interviews