Start by marking “Socs and Greasers: Behind The Scenes of The Outsiders from Rob Lowe's Stories I Only Tell My Friends” as Want to Read:

A scene taken straight from Rob Lowe's New York Times bestselling memoir, Stories I Only Tell My Friends, a wryly funny and surprisingly moving account of an extraordinary life lived almost entirely in the public eye.

In Socs and Greasers, Lowe tells us what it was like to work on the set of The Outsiders, a film that helped launch the careers of many of today's biggest sta
Published January 3rd 2012 by Henry Holt and Co.

To ask other readers questions about Socs and Greasers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Socs and Greasers

Jessie Wilkens
I downloaded this sample just to see if I would be interested in the full autobiography and the verdict is in: yes, I am interested. I enjoy Rob Lowe's voice and I have to admit, he was always my favorite greaser :)
Jinky
(3.5)
There's something about being revealed something "behind the scenes" that grabs me. You know, as if I've been included in a secret and so it's exciting and I feel trusted. Well, Mr. Lowe doesn't know me from Adam so it's not that he trusts me but having read this book, I'm one more person that knows something outside the inner circle and that's exciting and intimate. That said, whoever was responsible for this "teaser" was astute. This disclosure was interesting enough to want me to know mo
Donna
Jan 05, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very easy and quick read, this is actually a small portion of Rob Lowe's autobiography rather than a new book. I supposed it's a tease to get us interested in his autobiography ... it worked.
I'm of Lowe's generation and although I thought him very pretty, I was never a fanatic. However, I thoroughly enjoyed this short read about filming "The Outsiders" and the young male actors he worked with before they became famous men. Lowe has an easy writing style to read.
Claire
So Rob Lowe may be an ass (he's before my generation, so I really don't know much about his sordid tales) but it does not come off in his excerpt. It was interesting to read his lessons in acting and in life. He came off, at least in this bit, as a man who learns from his mistakes and has insight into his behaviour. This makes me interested in his memoir: I really like learning from people, especially those who make BIG mistakes. Of course, a little dirt couldn't hurt.
Rebekah
Read on the airplane. "The Outsiders" was one of the more memorable books I read in 8th grade. I remember not liking the movie as much. Rob Lowe outlines how his role as Sodapop was cut extensively, and how the movie ignored the relationship between the brothers. It was a quick interesting read, and I must say, I kinda agree with Lowe's critique of the film.
LisaEllen
Apr 12, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
I was unaware that this was only a section of his full book "Rob Lowe's Stories I Only Tell My Friends"
I like how this section was written. it was almost like sitting down with a friend and letting him tell his story. I can't wait to read the whole book.
Riccol
Mar 02, 2013 rated it liked it
A freebie from Barnes & Noble and a must-read for any '80's Girl who fondly remembers The Outsiders and it's impressive cast of future stars.
Terri Gostola
Apr 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography
I liked this. It pulled me in. The writing was smart and hopeful and vulnerable and respectful all at once. Here was a young man learning about Hollywood as he went along, and he had some hard lessons in store. On one hard you could say he was remarkably lucky, and on the other hand, especially after you read about most of his scenes being cut in The Outsiders, he was remarkably unlucky. And yet, as he points out, that is why addicts go into the business - because what is down one day may be up ...more
Tina
Aug 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Couldn't put it down

Reading this brought me back to my Jr High days. It reminded me when I first saw the Outsiders & the crushes I had on Tom Howell, Ralph & my favorite Rob Lowe. I enjoyed reading the behind the scenes accounts. It made me laugh, smile & feel for Rob when he saw that several of his scenes were cut out. Rob Lowe's writing style is wonderful & he leaves his personality on the page. I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Robin
Oct 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography-memoir
This is an excerpt from Rob Lowe's autobiography. He tells the story of his experiences on the set of The Outsiders, a film from the 1980s. I love the way he writes--it's like he's just sitting down with you, telling a story. I can't wait to read the rest of his story.

Well-written and entertaining!
C.C. Thomas
Jun 03, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
This is a small slice from a larger book, Lowe's memoir Stories I Only Tell My Friends. It would be unfair to judge the memoir based on this chapter; yet, it was so bad it completely erased any desire I had to read Lowe's memoir.

I read this because The Outsiders has been so important in my life. It has remained a favorite book of mine since I was a teen; it was the first novel I ever taught in a classroom; and, it was the first time a movie affected me so deeply. The movie remained a favorite as
Michele Cacano
This is an excerpt from Lowe's 2011 memoir, Stories I Tell My Friends. It is clearly written by Lowe, himself, which is nice, since it gives a more intimate portrayal of the events of his life and his take on things, rather than the meshed voices and styles you sometimes get with co-written books.
On the other hand, not being a professional writer can have its disadvantages.

This (free dowload- yay!) story is about the making of the movie, The Outsiders. I was pleased to find out that Rob Lowe w
Yolanda Sfetsos
Jan 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, non-fiction
I really enjoyed this extract of Rob Lowe's autobiography. I thought it would be cool to read because of The Outsiders, but I found myself really liking his voice and the way he told the story.

Great behind the scenes look at the disappointment that turning books into movies usually is. Rob Lowe was brutally honest and I appreciated how well his honesty came across. Not to mention that I got a kick out of catching early glimpses of so many of the actors that I grew up with during the 80s.

I also g
Wanda

Book description: A scene taken straight from Rob Lowe’s New York Times bestselling memoir, Stories I Only Tell My Friends, a wryly funny and surprisingly moving account of an extraordinary life lived almost entirely in the public eye.

In Socs and Greasers, Lowe tells us what it was like to work on the set of The Outsiders, a film that helped launch the careers of many of today’s biggest stars, including Tom Cruise, Patrick Swayze, Matt Dillon, Emilio Estevez, Ralph Macchio, C. Thomas Howell, and
Kelvey
May 25, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really, really enjoyed learning more about the making of The Outsiders, but the language got a little bit on my nerves. I would still recommend it if you love the movie.
Rob did an amazing acting job (I was lucky enough to see the extended version before the theatrical cut.) so it infuriated me how they did him. It was interesting to read his perspective on that, and his personal relationship with the other actors.
This sample is free on Amazon! :)
Jenny T.
Jan 24, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
This is actually a 2 chapter excerpt from Rob Lowe's autobiography which I obtained for free for my Nook. I thought it was a good follow-up to reading "The Outsiders" and was disappointed (but not very surprised) to hear that the movie version is different from the book. Otherwise it was entertaining to read about Rob hanging out with other young & upcoming movie stars.
Sherri
Jan 08, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Short teaser to get you to read/buy Rob's autobiography. I enjoyed the behind the scenes look at the actor's rise to stardom. Although I'm not a huge fan of his, I appreciated the anecdotes about his fellow cast members and the lessons he learned from other seasoned actors. Now I need to re-watch The Outsiders.
Cindy Holdmann
Feb 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Although this is only a two chapter book from Rob's autobiography, it is a wonderful read. It reads like a journal but gives you a glimpse into one of the best films and books ever written. I learned quite a lot about some of the actors and it fascinating. I also recommend reading the book "The Outsiders" by S.E. Hinton!
Cathy
Jul 13, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biographies
Have to admit I had a pic of Rob Lowe in my locker in high school. I also watched The Outsiders about 10 times in the theaters . This was a good behind the scenes of what goes on before stars have their big break. Looking forward to now reading his biography
Dawn cline
Aug 30, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
this is a nice short story about him during making the outsiders and up to its release. outsiders is one of my favorite movies and only recently found ut there was a directors cut. enjoyable short story I highly recommend this especially for us who grew up in the 80s and loved this movie.
Redhairdontcare
The Outsiders is one of my favorite books, and I also really enjoyed the movie. I really liked this quick litte excerpt from Lowe's book, and learning about some of the behind the scenes stuff from the movie
ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ
Interesting behind the scenes look into a popular 80s movie with what became an all star cast. Considering Lowe's sorid past, he comes off rather clean in this (other than probably cheating on his girlfriend at the time, Melissa Gilbert.)
Ericka Johnson
Sep 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well, this is a portion of Rob Lowe's book about when he filmed The Outsiders. I grew up in the time this movie was released. Great to see the friendships he made while doing the filming along with disappointments he had about cuts made to the movie.
Garth Mailman
Apr 30, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Who knew, Rob Lowe can write. Fun to watch him name drop and call known actors by their nicknames. In this segment he talks about this eighteen-year-old self. He is generous in talking about his fellow actors.
Eileen Carter
I remember having a picture of Rob Lowe from tiger beat hanging on my wall from the movie outsiders. Rob's inside, behind the scenes stories of what life was like for him was eye opening. It helped to have a better idea of the boy he once was, and how he became the star he is today.
Elizabeth
May 28, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
great way to get people to read his autobiography...interesting story about one of my favourite movies and one of the better star bios i have read yet!
Gillian
Jun 02, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As a girl of the 80s I will buy the rest of the book. This was a good teaser.
Jennifer Spiher
Enjoyable read...

Interesting story of the behind-the-scenes of one of my favorite movies. Made me want to watch it again soon! Very enjoyable!
Jenny Wilcox
*2016 PopSugar Reading Challenge, book written by a celebrity
Kimmie Barringer
Interesting

Very interesting look into a great movie. I want to read the whole book this was pulled from. I will soon

• I Want It Now! a Memoir of Life on the Set of Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
  • A Taste of Liberty (Task Force 125, #2)
  • Mother, Stranger
  • Patricide
  • Tiger
  • Island of Icarus
  • Sebastian
  • The Abduction of Mary Rose
  • A Multitude of Sins
  • Sarah's Diary
  • As the Snow Falls - Vol. 1 (The Muse, #1)
  • Denial: My 25 Years Without a Soul
  • Allies and Enemies: How the World Depends on Bacteria
  • Heart Robber (Lifestyle by Design, #2)
  • Ignite (Cryptid Chronicles, #0.5)
  • Cowboy, Sing Me Home
  • Houdini: A Life Worth Reading
  • Heartbreaker
Rob Lowe is an American actor. Lowe came to prominence after appearing in films such as The Outsiders, Oxford Blues, About Last Night..., and St. Elmo's Fire. On Television, Lowe is known for his role as Sam Seaborn on The West Wing and his role as Senator Robert McCallister on Brothers & Sisters. He currently appears as a main cast member of Parks and Recreation in the role of Chris Traeger.