Start by marking “Sworn in Steel (Tales of the Kin, #2)” as Want to Read:
Sworn in Steel (Tales of the Kin, #2)

Sworn in Steel (Tales of the Kin #2)

4.19  ·  Rating details ·  4,570 Ratings  ·  208 Reviews
It’s been three months since Drothe killed a legend, burned down a portion of the imperial capital, and unexpectedly elevated himself into the ranks of the criminal elite. Now, as the newest Gray Prince in the underworld, he’s learning just how good he used to have it.

With barely the beginnings of an organization to his name, Drothe is already being called out by other Gra
Published May 8th 2014 by Tor (first published January 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Sworn in Steel, please sign up.
Douglas Hulick It all comes down to numbers. If Tantor didn't sell enough "copies" of the first book by their estimation, then they aren't going to buy the rights to…moreIt all comes down to numbers. If Tantor didn't sell enough "copies" of the first book by their estimation, then they aren't going to buy the rights to the second one. I don't have exact numbers for the audio sales of AMONG THIEVES, but while they weren't terrible (I don't think), neither were they stellar. Also, given the delay between the two books, they may have decided they didn't want to take a chance on a title that might have fallen off people's radar in the intervening time. (That last hurdle is my fault.)

Regardless, I'm stoked you enjoyed the audio edition so much, and am pleased it ranks so highly for you. Maybe if the series takes off some day there will be renewed interest, but right now, it's print or nothing for SiS, I fear.(less)
Maricel i just read in his facebook and twitter page that there will be no book 3. he gave a valid reason.
sad, but i understood him.
now we can properly…more
sad, but i understood him.
now we can properly grieve for another unfinished series.(less)

Mogsy (MMOGC)
4.5 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum http://bibliosanctum.blogspot.com/201...

At last, Sworn in Steel is in my hands and the days of wondering when this book will be released have finally come to an end. And it was absolutely worth the wait! Three years ago, at a time when I was just starting to get back into the Fantasy genre, I decided to pick up a debut novel from a fresh new talent and really enjoyed his fun little yarn about a gang of thieves and scoundrels. With this book Douglas Hulick show
Azuritebright
Hulick apologized to his readers on his site, and explained the reason for the delay:

"As many (most?) of you have realized by now, “Sworn In Steel”, Book 2 in the TotK series, didn’t come out on June 5, 2012 as advertised on Amazon (or B&N, or…). Still other sites are listing the release date as being in September 2012, or even as far away as December 2025 (this last one seems to be mainly for ebooks, which either hints at one hell of a delay, or one sloooooow download).

So what’s the story?
Shari Kay
May 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I'll be the first to admit that I wasn't blown away by the first book in this series. I didn't like Drothe, very much and hadn't really planned to continue with his adventures. But for whatever reason I had this book downloaded on my kindle and 10 hours on a plane to fill. The time flew by!

It's been 3 months since Drothe betrayed Degan by breaking his oath and became a Gray Prince. Jess has returned to guard Drothe's back, though we're not told why she's forgiven him for deceiving her for so lon
Lucinda
Jan 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: review-written
I have waited 3 years for this sequel and I was not disappointed.

I am a true fan of Rogue's Tales. Give me a clever, street-wise thief protagonist and a smart, well-crafted caper and I'm a happy reader. Throw in some memorable non-stereotypical sidekicks, great NOT one-dimensional female characters, and snarky/snappy dialogue and I'm a fan for life.

If you haven't read the first book, Among Thieves, go get it and read it too...Book 1 chronicles the rise of Drothe from "Nose" (information broker)
Ian Hall
Jun 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very nearly 5* excellent intrigue and twists. I enjoyed how the storyline progressed and how we found out more secrets. I liked the new characters and the last 10% was fantastic.
Jack
Apr 29, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was almost perfect timing as I went and had refresher on the first novel, (audio) Among thieve's, But holding on to the second (sworn in steel) and not dive right in was well worth the wait as I was fully immersed in the story.
Having just finished I would say 4.5 to 5 star (still trying to figure out my rating system, some books I enjoy and rate 5 stars that really are part fondness for the time when I read them and the book itself)
Douglas Hulick is going to be an author I watch for in the
Chelsea
Sep 09, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Come ooooonnnnnnn

Yesssssss now I have it
Victor
Nov 09, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
From the author's site
"This just in: SWORN IN STEEL is slated for a U.S. release date of May, 2014."
Anya
Feb 10, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sworn in Steel by Douglas Hulick is the second book in Tales of the Kin and continues Drothe’s adventures thieving and scheming, but this time in a new locale! If you haven’t read Among Thieves, there will be some spoilers below, but be sure to skip to the end and enter to win a copy of Sworn in Steel from Penguin! If you have read Among Thieves, you are in for a treat since Sworn in Steel continues not too long after the end of Among Thieves and pulls our favorite master swordsman back into the ...more
Steve
Aug 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, fiction
I found this incredibly easy to pick up and difficult to put down. Once I had managed to recall the broad strokes from the previous book, the action very quickly grabbed me and didn't let go. The chapters were a nice length, and it didn't feel like the book was dragging at any point. Unlike the previous book, the climax was rather delicious, and didn't include any overused tropes and managed to include some lovely short sharp shocks. The resolution was a nice touch, and I'm very much wondering i ...more
Rhubarb
Jul 22, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'll preface this review by stating upfront that the story feels hugely convenient at some points - with events happening for no apparent reason other than to progress the story in a way which suits the protagonist.

However after saying that I really really enjoyed this book and it's a definite improvement on the first book (which I also enjoyed greatly). The main character Drothe is quite unique in a lot of modern fantasy novels in that he's not the unbelievably gifted individual who can complet
Mario
Oct 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Great follow up to Among Thieves, taking Drothe's adventures to a greater level. The Nose is now a Grey Prince and this book is accordingly bigger in every sense, with a greater scope and detail to the world. There's a spectacular expansion of the lore, from the side of the Kin, to the Deagans, and the various schools of magic.
As for the shenanigans surrounding our intrepid hero(?), the book actually begins with all kinds of headaches already befalling him and the story and intrigue move on at
OpenBookSociety.com

Brought to you by OBS reviewer Heidi

*Beware of possible Spoilers*

sworn-in-steel-tales-of-the-kin-douglas-hulickThe long awaited second novel of the Tales of the Kin series, Sworn in Steel …

It’s been three months since the end of Among Thieves (at least in the world of the characters) and Drothe is struggling with his rise to power as a Gray Prince. He’s used to running the streets so having an organization to command below him is strange for our new prince
Arushi
Mar 12, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime, grimdark
Sworn in Steel starts off three months after Drothe became a Gray Prince. Three months of power struggle, of gaining a reputation and three months without Bronze Degan. But that is not his immediate problem, his problem is that another Gray Prince is dead and as far as the street is concerned, Drothe is to blame.

So starts a trip to Djan, to find Bronze Degan so that Drothe may clear his name, and maybe, just maybe, repay the debt that he owes Bronze.

Drothe is again his resourceful and yet blun
Joseph
May 21, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When last we left Drothe he had risen from a humble Nose to a full-on Gray Prince. He had also, because of an act of betrayal, been separated from Degan, his oathbound companion and swordsman par excellence.

In this second volume, Drothe is sent, not entirely willingly, in search of Degan and possible reconciliation; Degan has apparently relocated to el-Qaddice, the (distinctly Middle Eastern-feeling) capitol of the Despotate of Djan, Drothe's home country's bitterest rival. Needless to say, comp
Kevin
Oct 31, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyed this one. Douglas Hulick's book is even better than his first and it was worth the wait... Unfortunately now I have to wait for the next book. If you like books about thieves then add this one to your list of series you need to read.
Elspeth
Oct 20, 2011 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
Okay, where is this book?
Amazon says they don't have it, and its not in kindle form.
FML!
RuthAnn
Sep 11, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adulthood
Totally worth the wait. Just awesome. Last quarter of the book was nonstop action. Loved it loved it.
James Cox
Nov 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic! That's it. Everything about this book was fantastic.
Milo (BOK)
Excellent book.. Fast moving, fun and entertaining. Can't wait for more.
Jasper
originally posted at: http://thebookplank.blogspot.com/2014...

Douglas Hulick is for me a bit of an underdog when it comes down to the fantasy books. In the die-hard circle his name is well known but outside of that many of the casual readers might have let the Tales of the Kin escape their attention. So I do hereby call, no shout out that you should really read the books of Douglas Hulick, it's great epic fantasy. Douglas Hulick has a terrific interpretation of the genre. I do have to be honest
Bitsy Vontrapp
Jan 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brilliant

This book, and its predecessor, Among Thieves, reminds me of one of my favorite series, Thieves World, by Robert Lynn Asprin and Lynn Abbey. Mr. Hulick has created a rich new world, filled with characters that come alive and seem to take on a life of their own, staying with you even after you've put down his books. The world building is exquisite, filled with so many cultures, factions and magic systems. Mr. Hulick has an amazing eye for detail, going so far as to describe his protagon
Marta
Nov 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lielisks gabals. Žēl, ka nebūs turpinājums.
Jax
Feb 15, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 ★

GrimNir
Jul 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really really enjoyed this book. The first in the series “Amongst Thieves” is an excellent book, but this sequel is even better. Something is always happening, there is action or plot twist, or just something plain compulsive in every single chapter. The story races along with enough variety, new plot developments, realisations, and action to make to keep you on the edge of your seat throughout the book.

Written in the first person solely from Drothe’s perspective this is basically my ideal of
Sora
Apr 10, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
When writing any story, a good question to ask ones self is "what is that's propelling the story forward? What is it that needs to be resolved before the story can end?"

It was certainly asked in Hulick's first novel, Among Thieves. There was a clear throughline of challenges the protagonist Drothe has to get through in short order, for the sake of survival, friendship, and other things. And those challenges felt clear and understandable.

Unfortunately Sworn in Steel doesn't really have the same d
Christopher
Oct 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Susan
May 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
Fortunately, I just finished the first book in the series and didn't have a long delay before I could start this one. (Unfortunately, I'm now waiting for the next one, along with everyone else...)

The Tales of the Kin series reminds me of Scott Lynch's Gentleman Bastard series, as it explores the underworld - the criminals and the organizations that bind them together. Both are original enough that you don't feel like you've read this same story fifty times before plus the main characters are fla
Courtney Schafer
Been waiting eagerly for this one ever since I read the first in the series (Among Thieves) back in 2011 - and I'm happy to say I found Sworn in Steel well worth the wait. Protagonist Drothe is just as engaging a character as in the first novel, the story takes all manner of interesting twists and turns, and along the way we learn many fascinating things about degans and the history of the empire. Drothe spends much of the story in the city of Djan, which is both beautifully realized and quite a ...more
  • Veil of the Deserters (Bloodsounder's Arc, #2)
  • The Prince of Lies (Night's Masque, #3)
  • Fortress Frontier (Shadow Ops, #2)
  • City of Ruin (Legends of the Red Sun, #2)
  • Knight's Shadow (Greatcoats, #2)
  • The Whitefire Crossing (Shattered Sigil, #1)
  • Tomorrow, the Killing (Low Town, #2)
  • The Folding Knife
  • The Crimson Campaign (Powder Mage, #2)
  • The Emerald Storm  (The Riyria Revelations, #4)
  • Shadow's Master (Shadow Saga, #3)
  • Herald of the Storm (Steelhaven, #1)
  • Sword of the North (Grim Company, #2)
  • Valor (The Faithful and the Fallen, #2)
  • Dissension: the Second Act of Penance (Three Acts of Penance, #2)
  • The Heresy Within (The Ties That Bind, #1)
  • Antiphon (Psalms of Isaak, #3)
  • The Rats and the Ruling Sea (The Chathrand Voyage, #2)
Douglas Hulick is author of "Among Thieves", the first book in the "Tales of the Kin" fantasy-adventure series. He is busy at work on the as-yet untitled second book in the series, with a third to follow.

When not writing, Douglas is a stay-at-home dad (or should that be: when not busy being dad, Douglas is an as-time-permits-writer?). Either way, he makes his home in the upper Midwest. He has a B.
More about Douglas Hulick

Tales of the Kin (2 books)
  • Among Thieves (Tales of the Kin, #1)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Off to Be the Wizard (Magic 2.0, #1)
  • Beneath the Shine
  • The Stepford Wives
    $9.74 $1.99
  • Time's Divide (The Chronos Files, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Long Earth (The Long Earth, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Gilded (Gilded, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Infinity Lost (The Infinity Trilogy #1)
  • The Man of Legends
  • All the Breaking Waves
  • Fellside
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Timebound (The Chronos Files, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Banished of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #1)
  • Muirwood: The Lost Abbey: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $0.99
  • 2061: Odyssey Three (Space Odyssey, #3)
  • Alas, Babylon
    $9.74 $1.99
  • 3001: The Final Odyssey (Space Odyssey, #4)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fractured (Guards of the Shadowlands, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • The Queen's Poisoner (Kingfountain, #1)
  • Zeroes
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dreams and Shadows (Dreams & Shadows, #1)
    $9.49 $1.99
  • Touch of Eternity (The Curse #1)
  • Touch
  • Dragon Rider
    $5.99 $1.99
  • An Unwelcome Quest
  • EARTHCORE
    $4.99 $1.49
  • Luna: New Moon
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Traitor's Kiss (The Traitor's Circle, #1)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • The Void of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dreadnought (Nemesis, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dirty Magic (Prospero's War, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • A Plague of Giants (Seven Kennings, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Fire Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Lies of Locke Lamora (Gentleman Bastard, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Red Knight Falling (Harmony Black, #2)
  • Star Wars: Thrawn
  • Zoo City
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Wishing Spell (The Land of Stories, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sanctum (Guards of the Shadowlands, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Unmasked (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, #3)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Afterlife
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Unseen (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Dwarves (The Dwarves, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dryad-Born (Whispers from Mirrowen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Unbroken Line of the Moon (Sagan om Valhalla #4; Valhalla #1)
  • Blackfish City
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Supernatural: Bobby Singer's Guide to Hunting
    $8.49 $1.99
  • Silvern (Gilded #2)
  • Some Fine Day
  • Random Acts of Senseless Violence
    $15.99 $1.99
  • Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West (Wicked Years, #1)
  • Mystic (Mystic, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Almost Girl (The Riven Chronicles, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Spell or High Water (Magic 2.0, #2)
  • Uprooted
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Wormhole (The Rho Agenda, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Dragons of Nova (Loom Saga, #2)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Ciphers of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Amid Stars and Darkness (The Xenith Trilogy #1)
  • Black Thorn, White Rose
  • Otherkin
  • The Last Adventure of Constance Verity
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Traveler (Fourth Realm, #1)
  • Ancestor
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Thief's Daughter (Kingfountain, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
“You talk; I'll sleep. feel free to make up my side of the conversation in case you get bored. I recommend throwing in the occasional 'fuck you' on my behalf, just to keep things true to life.” 5 likes
“I grimaced. Only I could manage to cut myself with a knife on the same arm that was wielding it.” 1 likes