Start by marking “The Hermit and the Well” as Want to Read:
The Hermit and the Well

The Hermit and the Well

4.05  ·  Rating details ·  37 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
The Hermit and the Well is a story is based on an actual event in Thich Nhat Hanh's life.

As a young boy, amidst the suffering and destruction that the war had brought to Vietnam, Hanh had a profound transformative experience after seeing a reproduction of a Buddha statue on the cover of a magazine. Moved by the Buddha's serene expression and peaceful appearance, he decided
Published August 1st 2004 by Plum Blossom Books

To ask other readers questions about The Hermit and the Well, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Hermit and the Well

Elizabeth (Miss Eliza)
Dec 27, 2014 rated it did not like it
Weird fable about a hermit perhaps being the best tasting water ever. The story was bad, the layout was horrid, but NOTHING can compare to the awfulness of the artwork. It was like all green with big brown streaks that looked like someone was drawing with poo.
Micayla Johnson
Sep 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: el230
This book is so cute! The unique cover picture and title drew me to this book. Im glad I picked it up! I would recommend this book to kids ranging from 2nd to 3rd grade.I also like how this book is multicultural and mentions several specific parts.
Marc
May 31, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is a kids' book -- early to mid primary school, but more than lovely. Surprise ending had me rethinking the nature of buddhism, and gave me a simple way to think about complex issues. This is much of what Thich Nhat Hanh does -- makes things simple and keeps them that way. It's what he's good at.
Janece
Jun 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
Seeing Thich Nhat Hanh in the Children's section of the library surprised me a little. I picked up The Hermit and the Well on a whim without previewing it at all. We read it tonight before bed. Amira & I both loved this book. She sat in a quiet stillness while we read - completely absorbed. At the end, she breathed in deeply and said: "Wow, Mama, that's a wonderful book!"
Heidi
Jun 15, 2009 rated it really liked it
A boy and his friends want to find and learn from a wise hermit they've heard about. Instead the boy finds the Buddha within himself.

This could be a good book for Dharma School for demonstrating aspiration, and for demonstrating the natural wisdom we can find in ourselves, our buddha nature.
Jeanne
Jan 19, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: children-s-books
read for Big Read 2010, about the Buddha inside of you.
Use for storytime?????
Josipa
Sep 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing
something that you need to buy for your kid!
Allison Marks
Elaine
Feb 11, 2013
Jassen Bailey
Mar 10, 2011
More about Thich Nhat Hanh...