Start by marking “Lizzie Newton: Victorian Mysteries Vol. 1” as Want to Read:
Lizzie Newton: Victorian Mysteries Vol. 1

Lizzie Newton: Victorian Mysteries Vol. 1

(Lizzie Newton : Victorian Mysteries #1)

Published August 7th 2012 by Seven Seas (first published 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Lizzie Newton, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lizzie Newton

Sesana
Jun 26, 2013 rated it liked it
I'll be honest, I picked up both volumes in this series because I so liked the cover art on volume two. But I wouldn't have read both volumes if I didn't like this one.

Lizzie Netwon is set in the 1860s. The title character is a young lady with a gift for deductive reasoning and writing, and has combined those talents to become a very popular writer of mysteries. In (relative) secret, of course, because she is a lady. So when a family friend seems to commit suicide, Lizzie has the necessary skil
Aravena
#Bukannyangeladymalahngurusinpembunuhan

Komik detektif yang cocok untuk:

1. Penganut aliran Holmes & Conan alih-alih Poirot & Kindaichi
2. Penggemar latar Inggris era Victoria dengan para gentlemen bertopi tinggi
3. Penggemar cinta status gap dengan sedikit nuansa reverse harem
4. Penggemar fantasi Holmesian menjurus fanfic yang benar-benar menempatkan diri dalam kanon SH dan menampilkan sejumlah bintang tamu dari sana*.

*(view spoiler)
Célia
Nov 10, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga, jeunesse
Un shojo sympathique, pas trop mièvre, qui propose une intrigue un tantinet féministe. L'enquête n'est pas particulièrement passionnante mais elle a l'avantage de présenter différents personnages d'intérêt historique aux plus jeunes.
Kathleen
Dec 03, 2018 rated it liked it
I liked it, but I wouldn't buy a copy to keep. Too much romantic drama sidestory and not enough mystery solving. The application of logic and science in obvious ways was nice, though!
Mike
Lizzie Newton isn't exactly the proper young lady her upper crust station in Victorian Society requires. Her mannerisms and speech are less than refined, she has little patience with normal rules of decorum nor gossip, and her attendants are not particularly supportive of her dual identity as a popular mystery writer. Her "inappropriate" interest in the circumstances of a suicide at a manor she's visiting causes a stir in everyone from the servants to the local police.

Her steward and arranged fi
Chibineko
Sep 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
This ended up being one of those books that I purchased because it was just that much fun to flip through and read. It's also a volume that is making me rethink Seven Seas as a publisher. They've been putting out some rather entertaining work lately, so this might be a sign that they could eventually become a bigger contender than they've been.

The good news is that despite the average manga reader having seen much of the book's dynamics before, this is a pretty fun read. Lizzie is your quintesse
Chrissie
Jul 09, 2014 rated it liked it
A delightful read.

Lizzie Newton it's a Victorian woman from a wealthy family and had recently acquired her father's majestic estate after his death. For all appearances Lizzie is like any proper young lady. But she isn't. Whip smart and logical to a fault Lizzie is much more than a weak, English lady. She authors a popular detective novel and uses that logic to solve the murder of a young lord.

This is a standard "whodunnit" novel, so in that respect it's not very daring. There was a death that l
Jenni Sauer
Set in Victorian England, this is the story of a mystery writer and her steward who help the police solve a murder case.

The characters are adorable (I feel like I say that a lot with mange :P) and well developed. They do a good job showing Lizzie's brilliance while also making her distinctly feminine. Edwin's also well done, shown as the supportive and loving steward. And, their relationship is done magnificently. It's a really great example of someone who loves someone so much that they're will
Selena
Good, but not as good as Young Miss Holmes. Close, but not quite.

The characters are very interesting, though beyond Lizzie, there's not much development. I hope that there's a bit more for the other characters because right now we have Lizzie, the barrister-turned-steward she seems both fond of and to despise, and the moronic policeman. Granted, if this takes place before Sherlock Holmes hit the scene, then forensics was practically non-existent, so...

Anyway, while it's interesting, they don't s
Jenna
Jul 02, 2013 rated it liked it
It was intriguing but I felt that the whole first mystery dragged on for too long. It could have been half of the book and the start of a new mystery in the second half, rather than the inspector being continuously astounded by the deductive capabilities of a "mere woman" and the regal bearing of her steward. And the inspector's haircut doesn't exactly look of the time... not that I know how people wore their hair back then. But it was entertaining. I have to say I liked the maid the most, mostl ...more
Francine
Aug 22, 2016 rated it liked it
I was expecting something like Young Miss Holmes, a delightful Victorian murder mystery with a female protagonist, but no such luck.
My main problem with this volume is that it's very explainy: for example, some facets of the murder are reiterated multiple times, to remind us of how clever Lizzie must be; also, the potential romance between Lizzie and her steward Edwin is extremely ham-fisted and on-the-nose. And is it just me, or does the bishonen Inspector not have a name (at least not in this
Miyuki
Aug 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manhwa
This is a fun and interesting series.

Lizzie is a rather ridiculous woman, but not by any stretch of the imagination unintelligent. The first volume covers an entire case and introduces several interesting characters that I look forward to reading about. There's potential for a love triangle, and none of the characters have thus far fallen into the all too common personality types that many manga and manhwa follow.

I've been following this manhwa from lizzienewton.com as released by Seven Seas Man
Kereesa
Nov 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of Nancy Drew and Victorian Lit
Recommended to Kereesa by: Jay
Lizzie Newton is basically a mix of Nancy Drew and Sherlock Holmes, but set in the Victorian time period.

Oh and with a super sassy heroine.

that I'm sort of in love with.

And an awesome male lead that I just want to smush into Lizzie's face, because honestly they're adorable together in that i-hate-you-but-secretly-love-you-fight-all-the-time kind of way.

And even though there are quite a few moments of that's definitely not historical, what are you doing to that plot point? No, that doesn't go t
Galleane
Apr 19, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
J'ai adoré ce premier tome. Les personnages sont excellents, surtout l'héroïne qui en impose. Son caractère amène des situations qui font sourire, son amour pour les livres fait craquer et fait aussi bien rigoler. Son implication dans un crime révèle son intelligence et si certaines situations encore une fois prêtent à sourire, son esprit d'analyse n'est clairement pas à négliger. Le crime en lui-même n'est pas très recherché, mais certains éléments sont bien trouvés. Un premier tome qui a carré ...more
Megan Doreen
Jul 18, 2016 rated it liked it
It was ok. I enjoy Manga set in the Victorian and Edwardian period.

To some extent the mystery was too easily solved, but it is a manga not an Arthur Conan Doyle mystery. Other aspects of the plot/characterizations were not historically or culturally accurate...but again, it is a manga.

I expect the first couple volumes in any series to be rough, and wish that my library had had more than just this one so that I could see if it actually improved over time. I think if it improved by Volume 3 at th
Mazohyst
Feb 18, 2013 rated it did not like it
This is mostly unfair to the series, but the whole time I couldn't help but think, "GOD CHILD RIP OFF, GOD CHILD RIP OFF, GOD CHILD RIP OFF..." throughout the whole thing, despite their differences. I gotta give props to the authors and their tastes though. The art is wonderful! And Victorian, gothic-like mysteries is always a wonderful genre... But gosh darn it, I feel like I've read others like it before!
burger queen
Aug 06, 2016 rated it liked it
This was an average mystery book for me. It wasn't anything special, really... The protagonist solved the mystery, like, right off the bat, but to me, it wasn't that believable. The romance part was barely there in my opinion, but I guess the author made an effort. If you like manga mystery series with a heroine, try Young Miss Holmes for a wider variety of mysteries in one book.
Stephanie
Oct 23, 2013 rated it liked it
As a manga: cool!
As a murder mystery: meh.
I liked the characters, and Edwin's and Lizzie's relationship was cute, but they didn't give you time to try and solve the mystery for yourself!

Maybe its because of the manga format being different to actual novel form, but that just sorta bummed me out.

Hoping the next book is better.
Sara
A mix of Jane Austen meets Sherlock, a great little whodunnit manhwa that was funny, light and had a spunky female protagonist who simultaneously solves crime and writes a serial murder-mystery story for a magazine.
Dyah
I like the artwork and the characters, that are interesting. The plot is OK.
Is it coincidence or not that I seem to be drawn to manga/manhwa with a classic feel to it? Hmmm... Maybe I'll really start to like Classics.
Jenika Ioffreda
Feb 01, 2015 rated it it was ok
very good drawings and interesting story but I didn't really appreciated the characters (the heroine watching the scene of the crime as if it was a wonderful adventure instead of a tragedy)
I am not going to continue the series.
Kimikimi
Jun 18, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: manga
Seemed like anime, but also like a regency romance? I like those things, but I'm not sure I like them mixed together with a full dose of CSI bath or whatever. I will pick the next one up at the library when it comes out though.
P.
Sep 10, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, manga, series
Apart from the d r a g g i n g o u t of the big reveal, this was nice and peppy, and the art was nicely realistic.
Lizzie Newton is a headstrong, and atypical young Victorian lady, who writes mystery novels. Her relationsip with her fiance is put on hold while she solves her first real murder case.
Mandy
I really did like the art, but the story was kind of mehhhhh. Nothing that kept me going or wanting to go forward in the story.
Avigayil
Jun 21, 2014 rated it liked it
This is Murder She Wrote crossed with Sherlock Holmes with a dash of Miss Marple. Add in a bit of unconventional romance and it is a fun read if you like mysteries.
Graham
Apr 06, 2015 rated it liked it
Try the Young Miss Holmes books instead.
ShelbySail
May 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Really Liked it. Especially the great artistic ability and well drawn time period. I really appreciate how this book shows that girls are not just a pretty face but can do so much too.
Maverynthia
Nov 01, 2016 added it
Shelves: manga
This is actually a pretty good series. As such I think it only has 2 books out of 6 that are localize... of course. While the shounen bullshit keeps getting cranked out volume after volume.
Gillian Dawson
Mar 17, 2013 rated it liked it

• Young Miss Holmes, Casebook 1-2
  • Night of the Beasts, Vol. 1
  • Goong: The Royal Palace, Vol. 4 (Goong, #4)
  • A Bride's Story, Vol. 4 (A Bride's Story, #4)
  • The Earl and The Fairy, Volume 02
  • The One I Love
  • Spiral: The Bonds of Reasoning, Vol. 01
  • Britten and Brülightly
  • The Kindaichi Case Files, Vol. 1: The Opera House Murders
  • Kisses, Sighs, and Cherry Blossom Pink: The Complete Collection
  • Chi's Sweet Home, Volume 8
  • Escape to Gold Mountain: A Graphic History of the Chinese in North America
  • 名探偵コナン 40 (Detective Conan #40)
  • Faeries' Landing, Volume 1
  • Butterflies, Flowers, Vol. 1 (Butterflies, Flowers, #1)
  • Sayonara, Zetsubou-Sensei: The Power of Negative Thinking Volume 1 (Sayonara, Zetsubou-Sensei #1)
  • Grand Guignol Orchestra, Vol. 1
  • Naoki Urasawa's Monster, Volume 3 (Naoki Urasawa's Monster: Kanzenban, #3)

Lizzie Newton : Victorian Mysteries (6 books)
  • Lizzie Newton: Victorian Mysteries Vol. 2
  • Lady Détective, tome 3 (Lady Détective, #3)
  • Lady Détective, tome 4 (Lady Detective, #4)
  • Lady Detective, tome 5 (Lady Detective #5)
  • Lady Detective, tome 6 (Lady Detective, #6)