Start by marking “Bedtime for Monsters” as Want to Read:
Bedtime for Monsters

Bedtime for Monsters

In this hilarious bedtime story, a monster is licking his lips . . . maybe he's thinking about eating a bedtime snack? And what if that snack just happened to be you? Gulp! He's getting closer and closer . . . and his tummy is rumbling really loudly. But all this monster actually wants is a sloppy monster-sized goodnight kiss!
Published July 17th 2012 by Henry Holt and Co. (BYR) (first published August 23rd 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Bedtime for Monsters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bedtime for Monsters

Start your review of Bedtime for Monsters
Pooja
Aug 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
This is the best Ed Vere so far.

Mari
I really enjoyed this one, but it is a little dark. What if there are monsters. . .and what if one is coming to eat you?! It's actually quite a silly and sweet monster, but you don't find this out until MUCH later. Most of the book is a build up to a monster sneaking into a kiddo's room, with the possible intention of having a child for a snack. I would love to share this with a group, but I'm hesitant. I keep thinking of the sweet, sensitive kids who might not be able to get the vision of a mea ...more
Iqra Fiaz
A funny and engaging text that can be used alongside other texts with fictional creatures in them to explore the way they are typically perceived and the typical roles they have in books. For example, this book can be used with the Gruffalo to explore the way monsters are normally labelled as bad to begin with.

Children could also use this text to create and describe their own monsters when learning about adjectives.

Melissa
"...maybe he's thinking about you in an eating-you-up kind of way?"

Reminded me of both When a Monster is Born and Going on a Bear Hunt. Some children will definitely be too stressed by the idea of a monster on its way to their door to enjoy this at all, but the kids who make it through to the end of the story might wind up with a story they can enjoy re-reading and practicing their I-don't-have-to-worry-it's-just-a-book skills.

Would be fun to pull out for a Valentine storytime.
Mary
This book is so cute! It is charming and wonderful for young children and their parents to read together at bedtime. It gives the impression of being somewhat scary at first, but it resolves in a very sweet way. The pictures are fabulous and the text is short and sweet with lots of variation in print styles.
Erin
Jul 20, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-lit
I'm not impressed with this book. While the book isn't awful, I find the idea that a monster who is coming to eat you is slightly disturbing. And ending with a kiss being worse than a monster eating you mixes up priorities a little.
Elisabeth
Tried this in story time with preschoolers - I could tell part way through - not a great idea. I kind of had to hurry through it so they knew the monster was not coming to eat them! :| My own preschooler loved it, but snuggling with your mom helps with the bravery factor I'm sure!
Joe
Sep 08, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice twist on the bedtime monster. My five year old loved it.
Heather
Aug 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
This is too freaking cute, lots of great noises/interaction with kids for storytime. I am so taking this on all my outreaches and doing this for my next storytime :)
Sunah Chung
The text keeps asking questions to readers such as "A monster would visit your bedroom to eat you?" or "the monster is getting close to you to eat you up?” The text creates scary moods, but the last page shows that the monster would visit your room to give "a disgustingly sloppy goodnight kiss!"
The texts in every page increase tensions and fears that the monster would visit the reader’s room to eat the child at night. The story would be interesting for some readers, but I think it took to
Mary Davis
This was a cute and silly book. The whole book talks about a monster wanting a bedtime snack and that he was coming to eat you. It tells us about his journey to your bedroom door. Each page it tells us how hungry she is and tells use his stomach is rumbling. Finally, the monster makes it to the bedroom door and he opens it.. all he wanted was a big, sloppy, disgusting goodnight kiss. The beginning of the book might be a little scary for younger children but the ending is silly and funny. It also ...more
Sarah Lontine
Aug 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: paul-s-favorites
My 2-year-old was both terrified and enthralled with this book. The first time we read it, he kept repeating nervously, "The monster is not coming to our house!" I think he really was worried the monster might barge into the room at any second. But after he realized the monster was not actually going to eat him, he requested this book again and again. Very cute story for toddlers and preschoolers---if they don't mind being a little scared!
Diana
Nov 29, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: kids, storytime
This reminded me of "The Little Mouse, the Red Ripe Strawberry, and the Big Hungry Bear," but not quite as charming. I have to read it with a very light touch to avoid scaring the kiddos. Still, it's cute, and as long as you know your audience, it's a keeper. Just be careful to make it all sound a little ridiculous if reading with tender kids. I got my group saying "NO!" at the end of the pages. It seemed to help them.
McKenzie Richardson
For more reviews, check out my blog: Craft-Cycle

A fantastic bedtime story that is a little bit scary and a lot a bit fun. Great for kids who like monsters. Simple illustrations and text, that make up a hilarious, entertaining read.

This will be an instant favorite to be read again and again. It's a nice, quick book sure to delight. Great read.
Portable
Cute pictures, though the story is a bit insubstantial. Like a sort of Bear Hunt but with the monster chasing you. What if a monster were coming to eat you up? As the book goes on, the monster gets closer and closer until finally it arrives - ready to give you a big goodnight...KISS! Monster books are always popular, so I'm sure this will get plenty of readers in our library, but not a classic.
emyrose8
Jul 09, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: second-person
Slightly creepy (because the monster might want to eat you) but also cute. Surprise twist at the end. This would be a good one to read to someone as long as they wouldn't get scared about a monster coming to find them.
Kelly
Jul 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Wonderful book for a storytime! I think that it could be a bit scary for younger children, but with the right inflection in the voice it would be wonderful. It's silly and the monster isn't too scary.
Cheriee Weichel
Sep 14, 2019 rated it liked it
This isn't my favourite Ed Vere book. It's a little bit too dark and twisted for me. While I was reading it I anticipated my 2 1/2 year old grandkids reaction to a monster coming to eat them. I don't think it will lead to sweet dreams. I suspect that older readers will enjoy it though.
Kathleen Subbert
Fun story! My 4 year old grandson enjoyed it.
Jennifer B.
Apr 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute, dark humor for kids.
Rainey
Perfect to read to a kid who might be a bit afraid of the dark.
Suzanne Kunz Williams
I started to read this book. But it was just too creepy for me and I didn't make it very far in. I would never recommend it to anyone.
Maggie
Could actually be scary for some children. But mostly super cute!
Mandie
Jun 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a cute book about what monster wants at bedtime. Is it a snack? Could it be YOU? This one would be good for storytime or bedtime.
Jen
Oct 13, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Happy to be adding this cute bedtime story to my LFL this month!
Tim Robinson
May 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
Heydi Smith
Jun 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids-storytime
Great for any monster Storytime!!!! Super fun.
Con Robinson
Nov 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great illustrator and funny storyteller...
AMY
Jun 21, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Grades k-2
Cute story of a monster who might be coming to eat you (reader) but has another idea instead. Cute illustrations and simple but fun plot. Recommended for Grades K-2.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Goldilocks and the Three Dinosaurs
  • Open Very Carefully: A Book with Bite
  • Moon: A Peek-Through Picture Book
  • Square
  • A Big Mooncake for Little Star
  • Pete the Cat's Groovy Bake Sale
  • Say Zoop! (Toddler Learning Book, Preschool Learning Book, Interactive Children’s Books)
  • The Pigeon Needs a Bath!
  • This Is the House That Monsters Built
  • Hey, That's MY Monster!
  • The Great Paper Caper
  • Nibbles: The Book Monster
  • Don't Push the Button!
  • Mix It Up (Interactive Books for Toddlers, Learning Colors for Toddlers, Preschool and Kindergarten Reading Books)
  • Misunderstood Shark
  • Bunnies!!!
  • Dragons Love Tacos 2: The Sequel
  • The Duckling Gets a Cookie!? (Pigeon series)
Ed Vere has been writing and illustrating children’s books since 1999. He is also a fine art painter and is represented by galleries in London and Los Angeles. He lives in London.