Start by marking “Reunited: An Investigative Genealogist Unlocks Some of Life's Greatest Family Mysteries” as Want to Read:

As seen on "20/20"!

In this poignant and heartwarming narrative, renowned genealogist Pamela Slaton tells the most striking stories from her incredibly successful career of reconnecting adoptees with long-lost birth parents
After a traumatic reunion with her own birth mother, Pamela Slaton realized two things: That she wanted to help other adoptees have happier reunions
Published May 8th 2012 by St. Martin's Griffin

To ask other readers questions about Reunited, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Reunited

Start your review of Reunited: An Investigative Genealogist Unlocks Some of Life's Greatest Family Mysteries
Paul
Aug 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
A pleasant series of anecdotal stories about adoptees who have reunited with birth mothers, birth brothers, birth fathers, and birth sisters. It's interesting if you look at it from a nature/nurture standpoint, which the author frequently points out: Some reunited blood relatives discover mannerisms and looks in common, but their disparate upbringings often mean that their intellects and belief systems are quite different from each other. Relationships become works in progress.

It's an amazing
Jocelyn Green
Jan 14, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
With a subtitle of, "An Investigative Genealogist Unlocks Some of Life's Greatest Family Mysteries," I was expecting some more universal take-aways in this book. Instead, it's a collection of stories from the author's experience tracking down birth parents or children that were given up for adoption, and what those reunions (and aftermath) were like. It was still interesting, but I was just hoping for some broader themes about family DNA to add some deeper insights.
Carlease
Sep 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I knew firsthand about this gem of an author when I was led to her by one of the adoptees whose story she tells in this book.
I am an adoptee and had been sporadically searching for my birth mother for almost 20 years. I am also an actress and a random tweet to a casting director changed my life. I was introduced to Pamela Slaton by Sheila Jaffe, reluctantly hired her and three weeks later my birth mother had been foundstill alive at 95!!! That was two years ago. Im just now getting around to
Anne
Aug 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
I loved this book in so many ways, but especially because Pamela Slayton is the person who "found us" for our cousin, Mike, whose remarkable story is featured in one of the chapters. She is brilliant at her work, successfully reuniting adoptees and birth parents. She is also a great advocate for the importance of the search for adoptees as a key piece of their history that completes what is often a lifelong puzzle. The stories are achingly heartfull and I appreciated that she not only told ...more
Patsy Crawford
Jun 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. I read it slowly to remember a few things that Pamela did in finding missing relatives. I cried when they were found. I cried when they were reunited. I cried when they said 'no thanks - not interested' - I loved the book.
Christina
Sep 01, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013-christina
Interesting book and some good stories, but I didn't care for the author's tone. Adoption is fascinating.....
Trish
Jan 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
Interesting to read something written by someone who helps adoptees find their birth families. She provides a needed service!
Penny
Sep 07, 2012 rated it liked it
This was a very interesting book, especially if you are someone who has had the issue of adoption touch your life.
Jan Cole
May 14, 2018 rated it liked it
Reunited: An Investigative Genealogist Unlocks Some of Life's Greatest Family Mysteries. by Pamela Slaton is a collection of cases Ms. Slaton worked on to help adoptees reunite with birth families. She is realistic when she tells them that not every bio parent wants to be found, as she discovered for herself. Her biological mother wanted no contact and had lived a very rough life.

However, Ms. Slaton did find some half siblings through DNA, some she has a relationship with and others shared the
Shelly Boltz-Zito
Amazing, wonderful, heartfelt

This is a book that you have to read Asap! I want to contact Pamela myself and maybe hopefully she can help me find my brother that was given up for adoption over 50 years ago. I cried, laughed, smiled during the reading of this. The pain of adoption affects the entire family and it can be painful for all when searching but it's not done to hurt anybody. This is a great book that is informational and educational as well as pills on your heart. Any adopted or family
Christopher Langford
Dec 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Very good book for an adoptee to read. There are great nuggets of information in it about the time, place and cultural norms surrounding adoptions. One short statement about Colorado being a hotbed for unwed mothers to birth and surrender their infants gave me a plausible reason for a girl from Alabama to travel all the way to CO in 1924 to hide her pregnancy. Also, the many experiences of adoptees and birth parents looking for and connecting with found family is fascinating. I feel better ...more
Linda Bodenlos
May 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent

Very straightforward and truthful sharing of real searches for adoptees. The examples give hope to one who has been searching for my husband's birth parents who actually gave him away in 1946 without an adoption. We have been working for over 15 years to find more info. This book is just the motivation needed to try again. I am amazed that Pamela can use her methods and resources to often quickly find the missing.
Jenna
Nov 01, 2017 rated it it was ok
I enjoyed watching some of her documentaries/segments on 20/20, and the stories themselves were interesting, but wasn't quite as emotionally gripping as getting to watch it on TV.
Jeff Dow
Feb 09, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2020
I loved the stories; her writing style was a bit too conversational for me. That said, what a roller coaster of emotions, some were heartwarming while other just heartwrenching.
Cheryl
Jan 22, 2020 rated it liked it
For some reason, I just love adoption reunion stories I am a sucker for them. This is an interesting book full of anecdotes of successful searches conducted by the author.
Ann Schmidt
Apr 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful

The author has a gift for searching and also for explaining the emotions and feelings involved in being an adult adoptee. Great stories with a variety of outcomes.
Teri
Sep 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2012
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. As a genealogist and researcher, I helped my husband find his birth family, along with my own clients; there are those that have been unfound, though. I have been fortunate to see wonderful and rewarding reunions. Pamela's book is a reminder that each case is unique and to never give up the search, even when you face dead ends. Slaton's positive personality rings through each diverse case. I love the wrapped up "lessons learned" section at the end of each chapter, ...more
Emily
Oct 02, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is full of interesting, breezily told stories of adoptees searching for their birth parents and/or siblings. However, the blurb is misleading when it mentions the identical twins who were separated as part of a secret research project. That was not one of Ms. Slaton's cases, and she never even mentions the book that was written by the women, Identical Strangers. Another thing I did not like was that no resources were listed--no web sites, no books, nothing. In other words, though it's ...more
Doug
Apr 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book very much, but then I was looking for something different from my usual murder mysteries, and am in to genealogy. I liked the multiple stories throughout the book, and the author weaving in tidbits from her own hunt.
Doretta Irwin
Dec 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
If you like non-fiction, adoption reunion stories, this book is for you! The author is very honest to admit that not all reunions end happily, but even the unhappy endings answer questions for those who are searching for answers to who they are genetically related to.

Kathy
Jan 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Glad I read this book. Adoption stories are fascinating...
Shawn Mecham
Jan 02, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Identical Strangers: A Memoir of Twins Separated and Reunited
  • The Stranger in My Genes: A Memoir
  • The Lies That Bind: An Adoptee's Journey Through Rejection, Redirection, DNA, and Discovery
  • Finding Family: My Search for Roots and the Secrets in My DNA
  • The Foundling: The True Story of a Kidnapping, a Family Secret, and My Search for the Real Me
  • After Long Silence
  • Before and After: The Incredible Real-Life Stories of Orphans Who Survived the Tennessee Children's Home Society
  • Secret Storms
  • The Fortunate Ones
  • Mansion on a Hill : The Story of the Willows Maternity Sanitarium and the Adoption Hub of America
  • My Own Legacy: An Adoption Memoir
  • Into the Fire (Orphan X, #5)
  • All About You. An Adopted Child's Memoir
  • The Waiting: The True Story of a Lost Child, a Lifetime of Longing, and a Miracle for a Mother Who Never Gave Up
  • American Daughter: A Memoir of Intergenerational Trauma, a Mother's Dark Secrets, and a Daughter's Quest for Redemption
  • Maternal Failure
  • My Secret: The true story of one woman's adoption discovery and search
  • Inheritance: A Memoir of Genealogy, Paternity, and Love
Pamela Slaton is an adoptee who, with scant information, discovered her birth parents over two decades ago. When she first began my search, there were barely any services available to those looking for clues. After discovering her birth parents, she started volunteering her experiences to local adoptee support groups before being hired as the New York contact for a major adoption finder agency.