Start by marking “The Last Rhinos: My Battle to Save One of the World's Greatest Creatures” as Want to Read:
The Last Rhinos: My Battle to Save One of the World's Greatest Creatures

The Last Rhinos: My Battle to Save One of the World's Greatest Creatures

When Lawrence Anthony learned that the northern white rhino, living in the war-ravaged Congo, was on the very brink of extinction, he knew he had to act. If the world lost the sub-species, it would be the largest land mammal since the woolly mammoth to go extinct. In "The Last Rhinos," Anthony recounts his attempts to save these animals.

The demand for rhino horns in the
Published July 3rd 2012 by Thomas Dunne Books (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Last Rhinos, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Last Rhinos

Start your review of The Last Rhinos: My Battle to Save One of the World's Greatest Creatures
Courtney Anthony
Aug 31, 2012 rated it really liked it
As soon as I finished The Elephant Whisperer, I began eagerly awaiting The Last Rhinos. Then, when Lawrence Anthony passed away in March, my waiting became bittersweet. I knew that this would be the last time I would get to enjoy a new book by one of my favorite conservationists.

I expected that The Last Rhinos would, like Babylon's Ark and The Elephant Whisperer, focus on Anthony's work with endangered species and the day-to-day life of his South African wildlife preserve, Thula Thula. Instead,
Lisa
Aug 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
I love this autobiographical story of Lawrence Anthony and his journey to save the Northern white rhinos.
Lawrence was an international conservationist and environmentalist who has done so much to save animals in need, animals on the verge of extinction and to help people understand the importance of his works.
He has put himself in dangerous situations to achieve his aims and he seems to have had a wonderful personality. This story is very moving and a must read for everyone, especially animal
Michelle
Jul 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
The Last Rhinos goes far beyond a story about rhinos. Lawrence Anthony, in his attempt to stop the northern white rhinos from going extinct, finds himself as an unlikely go-between trying to stop a war that has been raging in Africa for decades. The local government and the Lord's Resistance Army (one of the most dangerous and deadly group of guerilla mercenaries in the world) are attempting peace talks but no one really expects them to pan out. The LRA turns to Anthony to try to help them ...more
Ashton Kearns
When you read this book (which I hope all of you will) I would love you guys to look at this book and compare it to your own life. While you all may not have to do very hard things every day like people in this book, I believe every. Single. Person. Reading this post. Has struggles in their everyday life. And while these may not be physical that is most definitely there. And this is an amazing example of how not to judge yourself compared to others.
Bridget Pitt
May 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
An extraordinary book by an extraordinary man. Shows what can be achieved if someone just follows the path in front of them wherever it leads. I learnt so much - about rhinos, about Africa, about the complexities of of trying to conserve animal and human life in this magical but highly challenged continent. A must read for anyone interested in conservation or Africa, or life.
Jessica Knauss
Jul 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
I hesitated to give this book a high rating because it wasn't what I was hoping for: an account of the way intrepid humans saved a bunch of rhinoceroses, filled with charming anecdotes about rhino behavior. I don't know what I was thinking when I expected that, because I know the situation for all the rhino species is unspeakably dire. Co-author Graham Spence says he thought of calling the book "Blood Horn" and that might have been a more direct approach to indicate that this book is, at least ...more
Michelle
Sep 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A brillant follow-on book to Lawrence Anthony's best-seller "The Elephant Whisperer."

In this book Anthony continues to share stories about the happenings at his private game reserve Thula Thula. If the reader has read his first book, the continuation of the animal tales is an easy and enjoyable one.

He also talks about the plight of rhinos in South Africa who are being poached and pushed to the brink of extinction. His mission was spurred after the loss of Heidi, a rhino at Thula Thula who they
LibraryCin
Lawrence Anthony was running a game reserve in South Africa when he heard that there were only about 15 northern white rhinos left in one reserve in the Congo. Unfortunately, the reserve had been abandoned by the people meant to protect the rhinos because of the presence of a terrorist group, the Lords Resistance Army. Lawrence was still worried about those rhinos, so he gathered a group of people who were willing to help and went to government officials to see if he could convince them to allow ...more
Amanda
Aug 12, 2012 rated it liked it
Well, first off there wasn't a whole lot of talk about rhinos and their predicament. The vast majority of the book was about what the author went through in order to get protection for some white rhinos with the help of the Lord's Resistance Army. Now, don't get me wrong, hearing about the whole Invisible Children and LRA dilemna from a different point of view was definitely very, very interesting to me, which is why I rated the book three stars. But I was pretty disappointed that I didn't get ...more
Lisa
Feb 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely fantastic. Just as amazing as The Elephant Whisperer. Now I desperately want to find his first book. I am so very sad to hear that Lawrence is no longer with us, but am glad his family is keeping up the fight, and I truly hope to visit Thula Thula someday.
Matthew
Jun 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A must read for any South African or anyone remotely concerned about what poachers are doing in South Africa
Cassie
Dec 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was so different than The Elephant Whisperer! This story (that of a person meeting with the LRA) seems like a story that would get pitched and sold to a producer or editor for sure. But for some reason, the story felt less exciting to me than The Elephant Whisperer. I think I like Lawrence Anthony best when he tells short one-chapter plot arcs. But this did feel more poignant.

I think Lawrence Anthony is like an ideal poster boy for not being a white savior and really understanding and
Jo-Ann
Aug 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is the second book by Lawrence Anthony that I have read. I truly enjoyed it and definitely recommend it. I was disappointed to learn that he passed away in 2012 as it means there will be no more books by him. Though I am looking forward to reading his first book, Babylon's Ark.

In this book, he shares his attempt to rescue the endangered northern white rhinos. It is an engrossing story that reveals a great deal about what Africa is like and the day to day life of a private nature reserve in
Darlene
Aug 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Stories of the plight of disappearing species will always touch my heart. In his attempt to save the white rhinos living in the Congo, Anthony ends up helping to broker an attempted peace deal between warring factions. There are some great animal stories, and we re-visit some familiar animal friends, but most of the book was about the LRA peace struggles.

Anthony helps us see the human side of this supposed violent group. We could all learn much from the Traditional African ways both in
Alicia
I always include an animal nonfiction story in my readathons and this one was a perfect audiobook that focuses on saving rhinos who are often maimed while still alive to extract their horn. But the amount of civil unrest in all of the African countries where rhinos reside and their important work that coincides with conversation of other large game as well.

It's nothing new because it's been said forever yet this is still a major issue and one that is not particular to Africa, but to the entire
Kara
Jul 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. And I would love to have met Lawrence Anthony. Such an interesting person. The work and efforts of this man to preserve the natural land and it's animals is truly inspiring. It amazes me what he went through, had to deal with, and all he was able to accomplish. Although not quite what he was hoping to achieve, but still amazing none the less. I also found the epilogue by Graham Spence very endearing and appreciate that this part was added to this wonderful book.
Adoptry
Jun 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a heartbreaking yet beautiful read. It is incredibly tragic that man-made boundaries, conflict, and mindless superstitions take such an irreplaceable toll on other species, damaging habitat and ultimately leaving behind not only a poorer planet but also one that isn't very habitable for humans themselves. Lawrence Anthony truly was a hero for his committed crusade in the cause of conservation.
Dan Carpenter
Dec 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely incredible story. Very easy to connect with the author and the animals. I want to be a better person after reading this book, both to animals and humans.
Eva
Feb 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Deeply touching and, considering the current rhino situation in Africa, now even more needed than at the time of its publication. I wish all people could experience the soothing effect of elephants and the bush. Highly recommended!!!
Sharon Jones
Nov 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is truly an inspirational book and a must read for all animal lovers. Besides being focused on the fate of the Rhinos, this takes one into the heart of Africa and gives the individual a look at life from the African perspective. The insight into Mother Nature's creatures will give you pause to think and reconsider any thoughts you may have had that animals can't reason or have feelings. It is a sad state of affairs that our beautiful creatures are being eliminated from our planet when all ...more
Diana M. Hawkins
Jan 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing

This is the third of Anthony's books that I have read. In Babylon's Ark, he related his experience during Operation Desert Storm in Iraq, when he saved the animals in the Bagdad Zoo. Then there was Elephant Whisperer, in which he describes accepting a herd of "rogue" elephants from Zimbabwe gave them a home on his private Kwazulu-Natal game reserve, Thula Thula, in South Africa. Now comes The Last Rhinos, in which he travels to the war-ravaged Congo to save the northern White Rhino from
Emily Goenner
Oct 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
I didn't expect much from this book, which perhaps affects my rating. And, as non-fiction, my rating isn't comparable to my fiction rating (Shadow of the Banyan). All that aside, this book was a treat, a wonderful surprise. A quick, easy read, it went beyond the conservation attempts to reveal the humanity of the hated Lord's Resistance Army. Anthony shows the reader, and reminded me, how complex issues are, that both sides of war are commit atrocities and both sides lie, cheat, follow their own ...more
Meg Orton
Apr 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Lawrence Anthony was truly one of the greats! He will be missed not only because of his brilliant contribution to conservationism, but also as a genuinely wonderful human being with a great sense of humor and a heart of gold. This book is moving and full of basic truth. The rhino and many other wildlife are in severe danger, and sadly we lost one of the true great earth warriors of our time. A beautiful book that will make you cry, and smile, cry again, and then realize that through it all there ...more
Susan
Aug 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Not just a wonderful book about one man's efforts to save the black rhino from extinction, but his side involvement with the Lord's Resistance Army in the DRC. This part of the book really sheds light on the rebels and proves there are two sides to every story. The sad part is that the author died of a heart attack 2 years ago at age 61, so this is likely the last of his personal stories. His family now carry on with his conservation efforts at his wildlife refuge in Africa.
Emily Rodgers
Jun 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This was an incredible read! I liked how not only did it focus on the issues of rhino poaching but other problems that have faced Africa recently - which may not have such an obvious impact on conservation. I learnt so much from reading this!!
The note at the end about Lawrence Anthony and his life's work was particularly interesting and insightful!
Dee Waite
Jul 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
An amazing story about one man's journey to save a beautiful animal from extinction. His descriptive writing brings the reader to the heart of the issues and he drives home the tremendous urgency for action in the saving of these animals. He was a courageous man, taking on communications with the dangerous rebel soldiers of the Congo. Read this beautiful and heartwarming story.
Adrienne
Fascinating book. Made me realise just how closely the rhino problem is linked to politics. And just what a difficult problem it is to solve. Now sadly the last rhino in Mozambique have just been killed. this carnage has to stop!
Km
Oct 09, 2014 rated it liked it
3.5 ... About so much more than the race to save the northern white rhino. I found it a fascinating, somewhat sympathetic look at another side of the LRA ... Who knew they advocated for a peace and African justice?!
Kate
Jun 17, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lawrence Anthony's life was phenomenal! Its sometimes hard to believe you're reading a book about a person's real experiences. It was an eye-opening read that takes a tough subject and makes it entertaining but not less heart breaking.
Jackie Barry-henrick
I struggled to get into this book initially but once I got into it, I could not put it down. An amazing human being!
Play Book Tag: The Last Rhinos / Lawrence Anthony. 4 stars 4 12 Mar 25, 2019 06:09PM

• An Elephant in My Kitchen
  • Love, Life, and Elephants: An African Love Story
  • Whatever You Do, Don't Run: True Tales of a Botswana Safari Guide
  • The Wilderness Family: At Home with Africa's Wildlife
  • Don't Look Behind You! A Safari Guide's Encounters with Ravenous Lions, Stampeding Elephants, and Lovesick Rhinos
  • Elephants Are People Too: More Tales from the African bush
  • Cry of the Kalahari
  • Msomi and Me
  • Elephant Dawn: The Inspirational Story of Thirteen Years Living with Elephants in the African Wilderness
  • Bonobo Handshake: A Memoir of Love and Adventure in the Congo
  • Gorillas in the Mist
  • Murder at McDonald's: The Killers Next Door
  • Born Free: The Full Story
  • A Lion Called Christian: The True Story of the Remarkable Bond Between Two Friends and a Lion
  • On Leopard Rock
  • Hope for Animals and Their World: How Endangered Species Are Being Rescued from the Brink
  • I Dreamed of Africa