Dismiss Sorry, you must be a member of the group to do that. Join this group.

Start by marking “Almost a Scandal (The Reckless Brides, #1)” as Want to Read:
Almost a Scandal (The Reckless Brides, #1)

Almost a Scandal (The Reckless Brides #1)

3.82  ·  Rating details ·  1,018 Ratings  ·  174 Reviews

A Lady in Disguise

For generations, the Kents have served proudly with the British Royal Navy. So when her younger brother refuses to report for duty, Sally Kent slips into a uniform and takes his place—at least until he come
Mass Market Paperback, 353 pages
Published July 31st 2012 by St. Martin's Paperbacks

To ask other readers questions about Almost a Scandal, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Almost a Scandal

Lover of Romance
This review was originally posted on Addicted To Romance My Review
Summary
The Kent Family has served proudly for the British Royal Navy. Sally Kent, was practically raised on the sea with her father, and she loves every moment and she has soaked any information she could find about running a ship on the sea. She has had great examples in her family of what a sea life is really like. When her younger brother, runs off to pursue his religious endeavors, which turns out him failing to report for duty,
Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~*

Setting: 1805 The High Seas.
1st in the"Reckless Brides Series"
3.5 Stars

Well now..with a cover like that,and the setting to match how could I not like this? Another swashbuckling romance..right? Hmmmm..not quite to rock this Pirate Wench's boat.
Now I knew it wasnt a "pirate-romance" going into it,same theme though as the Heroine disguise's herself as a shipmate on a British Royal Navy ship. Now this is a usual theme in a pirate romance so I did ponder how this was going to work here(not quite for
Jess the Romanceaholic
This is a Quickie Review. For the full review, please visit The Romanceaholic.

Expected Release Date: July 31, 2012
Publisher: St. Martin’s Press
Imprint: St. Martin’s Paperbacks
Author’s Website: http://elizabethessex.com/
My Source for This Book: Netgalley
Part of a Series: Yes, Book 1, Reckless Brides Series
Series Best Read In Order: N/A
Steam Level: Steamy

Overall, I loved this book. With a fresh take on historical “at sea” romance, tons of adventure, and just the right amount of steam, I read this
Lisa
Jan 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
When her youngest brother refuses to do his duty and join the navy, Sally Kent does what she thinks is best--she goes in his place to keep the family honor intact. After all, the sea is in her blood having grown up on the ship with her captain father and brothers. She loves the adventure, the air, everything about the sea but as a female she is regulated to the land. When she sees her childhood crush, Lieutenant David Colyear also on board she thinks her disguise is at risk. But as time passes a ...more
Claudine
May 14, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc-netgalley
This book is my first experience with Elizabeth Essex's writing. I have known of her for some time as her previous books are on my wish list of to be read but it was only now through NetGalley that I have had that pleasure.

Almost A Scandal is the start of the new Reckless Brides series. Bold, brazen, and beautiful, the Reckless Brides refuse to play by society’s rules of courtship. But—come hell or high water—they always get their man…

Our first bride is Sally Kent, the only female in a long line
Sandy Williams
Aug 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Gawd, I loved this book. LOVED it! It was a super bad idea to start it over the weekend, though, because I had a hundred things I SHOULD have been doing, but I absolutely couldn't put this down. I have to give a big shout out to my husband and thank him for watching the twins so much this weekend, and for letting me be a bum and read pretty much the whole time.

Anyway, I've been looking for a historical romance that has a touch of added danger to it, and this one completely fit that description.
Dija
Jul 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
i wanted it to never end. surprised at how much i came to love sally and col. i'd never read a book that takes place on a ship before and this was so, so good.
Nina Lewis author
Mar 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
I disagree entirely with reviewers who've said that there is too much technical navy talk in this book. I like to learn a little about the period and environment in which a book is set, and here you do. This isn't just a frilly romance set on some ship; Essex knows what her characters are talking about. This is also how she gives a fresh touch to the old girl-in-breeches motif. Sally Kent is an entirely credible sea(wo)man, and we can believe that serving in the navy is her passion and her vocat ...more
EB
Apr 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Mulan in the 19th Century British Navy could’ve been the alternate title of this novel. I do not think I can convey in words how much I loved reading this book. I’ve had an interminable 2.5 weeks, that doesn’t really seem like it’s going to get a lot better before April 15th and I cannot express how much this book came to me at exactly the right time.

I will say, I do not have the qualms about mistaken gender that a lot of more discerning readers seem to have. Mulan is literally the best Disney
Bry
May 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
I am not gonna lie. This book sucked me in like a freaking train wreak or a an episode of America's Top Model. This isn't the type of book I usually read, but the description intrigued me, so I gave it a go, and then couldn't put it down. Hell one night I literally stayed up reading till well past the sun came up before finally admitting I needed at least a few hours sleep!

This book is about Sally Kent, who took her brother's place in the British Navy when he ran off and refused to serve. Sally
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Mar 12, 2015 10:17AM
  • Sea Change
  • One Naughty Night (The Scandalous St. Claires, #1)
  • Too Wicked to Wed (Lords of Midnight, #1)
  • The Lady's Secret
  • How to Romance a Rake (Ugly Ducklings #2)
  • Sweet Enemy (Veiled Seduction, #1)
  • The Rogue Pirate's Bride (The Sons of the Revolution, #3)
  • The Price of Temptation
  • Waking Up with a Rake (The Royal Rakes, #1)
  • The Wicked Wedding of Miss Ellie Vyne (Sydney Dovedale, #2)
  • When She Said I Do (Worthington, #1)
  • A Gentleman Undone (Blackshear Family, #2)
  • The Copeland Bride
  • Untamed
  • By His Majesty's Grace (The Three Graces, #1)
  • Mad About the Earl (Ministry of Marriage, #2)
  • Fool Me Twice (Rules for the Reckless, #2)
  • Return of the Viscount (Brides of Redemption, #1)
When not re-reading Jane Austen, sipping tea or mucking about her garden, Elizabeth Essex can be found at her computer, making up wonderful stories about people who live far more interesting lives than she.
Elizabeth Essex

It wasn’t always so. Elizabeth graduated from Hollins College with a BA in Classical Studies and Art History, and then earned her MA from Texas A&M University in Nautical Arch
More about Elizabeth Essex...

The Reckless Brides (5 books)
  • A Breath of Scandal (The Reckless Brides, #2)
  • Scandal in the Night (The Reckless Brides, #3)
  • After the Scandal (The Reckless Brides, #4)
  • A Scandal to Remember (The Reckless Brides, #5)