Jump to ratings and reviews

Dewey Andreas #3

The Last Refuge

With time running out to stop the nuclear destruction of Tel Aviv, Dewey Andreas must defeat his most fearsome opponent yet.

Off a quiet street in Brooklyn, New York, Israeli Special Forces commander Kohl Meir is captured by operatives of the Iranian secret service, who smuggle Meir back to Iran, where he is imprisoned, tortured, and prepared for a show trial.

What they don't know is that Meir was in New York to recruit Dewey Andreas for a secret operation. Meir had been tipped off that Iran had finally succeeded in building their first nuclear weapon, one they were planning to use to attack Israel. His source was a high-level Iranian government official and his proof was a photo of the bomb itself.

Dewey Andreas, a former Army Ranger and Delta, owes his life to Meir and his team of Israeli commandos. Now, to repay his debt, Dewey has to attempt the impossible ---to both rescue Meir from one of the world's most secure prisons and to find and eliminate Iran's nuclear bomb before it's deployed---all without the help or sanction of Israel or America (at the near certain risk of detection by Iran).

Unfortunately, Dewey's first moves have caught the attention of Abu Paria, the brutal and brilliant head of VEVAK, the Iranian secret service. Now Dewey has to face off against, outwit, and outfight an opponent with equal cunning, skill, and determination, with the fate of millions hanging in the balance.

416 pages, ebook

First published July 3, 2012

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Ben Coes

13 books1,621 followers
Hi and thanks for visiting my Goodreads profile!

I'm a New York Times, USA Today, and Wall Street Journal bestselling author of international political and espionage thrillers. Nine of these books are part of a series featuring Dewey Andreas, including:

Power Down #1
Coup D'Etat #2
The Last Refuge #3
Eye for an Eye #4
Independence Day #5
Trap the Devil #6
First Strike #7
Bloody Sunday #8

The Russian is the first book in a new spin-off series about the Russian Mafia, starring Rob Tacoma.

My next book The Island comes out this summer and is available for pre-order.

All of my books are based on current events and are strongly influenced by friends who are or were in the military, law enforcement, and intelligence circles.

I went to Columbia College and was awarded the university's highest writing award, the Bennett Cerf Memorial Prize for Fiction. I was a White House Intern under Ronald Reagan and served as a White House-appointed speechwriter to the U.S. Secretary of Energy during the Gulf War. I was a Fellow at Harvard University’s Kennedy School of Government.

I lives in Massachusetts with my wife and children.

I hope you'll visit my website and sign-up for my newsletter: https://bencoes.com

Thanks for being a reader!!

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
Profile Image for Tim.
2,084 reviews188 followers
February 23, 2017
My favorite Dewey Andreas to date. Very well done. 10 of 10 stars
Profile Image for Melissa.
261 reviews27 followers
June 21, 2019
3/13: I don't have much to add to this review except that this time I listened to it on Audible. The narrator is fantastic! He gets all the voices perfectly, except for Jessica. I don't remember her being described as having an Irish accent. Other than that, a thrilling listen!

Original review:
What can I say about my new favorite super-hero? Action-packed, well-paced and a premise that very current in today's environment. Ben Coes is right up there with the Brads (Taylor and Thor) for well-written and keeps you on the edge of your seat novels!
Profile Image for Mike (the Paladin).
3,145 reviews1,783 followers
November 23, 2017
Yeah, I'm a bit worn out on thrillers now. Assassinations, tragic death, politicians playing CYA, betrayal of friends and allies, daring do, abductions...you get it.

I have liked the Dewey Andreas novels and this one is pretty good. But somehow I was feeling the been there done that feeling throughout the book. I freely admit that this may be me as much as the book. I mean for some time now all I wanted to read were thrillers.

Look this is a political action thriller. I am in "real life" more than a little disillusioned and disappointed in the government and the American people's reaction (or lack thereof) to this failure. I guess that a story where operators have to overcome the backstabbing from their own superiors is just not what I need right now no matter how it works out. (Too much like reality I guess.)

Some years ago when I was a part of the military a lot of guys were "loaned" to another governmental agency. We just called them "the company". Operators from all the services were "Sheep Dipped" (look it up). Here we get to see operations using paramilitary people working with this same group except in a fictional setting. It's not handled badly and I suspect most people who like thrillers will like this book. As noted I find it okay and would probably have liked it better at a different time.

Think I'll give it some time before I read the next Dewey Andreas novel
I can recommend it.
Profile Image for Sean Peters.
641 reviews122 followers
August 10, 2018
Number three finished in the Dewey Andreas books, another great book, now on number four!

After the president of the United States unexpectedly succumbs to a stroke, Andreas’ friend, Israeli Special Forces commander (and Golda Meir’s great-grandson) Kohl Meir, is kidnapped by Iranians. With a cautious new president unwilling to get the U.S. government involved in an Iranian dispute, Andreas sets out on a dangerous mission to rescue Meir.

Dewey Andreas, a former Army Ranger and Delta, owes his life to Meir and his team of Israeli commandos, now, to repay his debt, Dewey has to attempt the impossible ---to both rescue Meir from one of the world's most secure prisons and to find and eliminate Iran's nuclear bomb before it's deployed---all without the help or sanction of Israel or America (at the near certain risk of detection by Iran).

Coes presents us with one of the nastiest villains so far in Abu Paria, the brutal and brilliant head of VEVAK, the Iranian secret service, alongside a collection of Iranian and Israeli politicians

The usual great characters can be find in this gripping thriller, the story unfolds at a fast pace, with lots of sub-plots and characters to keep your mind working.

Also two new characters enter the story, and finishes perfectly, ready for book four...

Reading now...

An action packed, violent thriller, fast paced, great epic plot again, which I am now expecting from Ben Coes.

The usual five stars....

Yes another great action hero alongside Mitch Rapp, Victor The Assassin, Jack Reacher and others.

Love Vince Flynn, Tom Wood, Brad Thor, Brad Taylor, Simon Kernick, you will love these books.

6 reviews1 follower
July 5, 2012
“The Last Refuge” is Ben Coes’ third novel starring the character Dewey Andreas, after Coup D’ Etat, and “Power Down.” It belongs to one of my favorite genres, the political “real world” thriller. I get a real kick out of reading intelligent people sitting at a table, having an intelligent conversation about some urgent “we need to act now” situation. People like Tom Clancy, John Le Carre and Robert Ludlum are masters of this style of writing and have been copied many times.
I had two basic problems with “The Last Refuge”, one on a personal level and one on a visceral level. As I’ve already mentioned, the formula for this genre has become somewhat clichéd and thus it is impossible to read this book without automatically comparing to Ludlum’s and Clancy’s work. I tried really hard, but the similarities are just too striking: an international crisis, various groups of men in suits playing Greek choir and sitting at a table comment and giving exposition, and most importantly, the hero with special skills who just wants to be left in peace but is dragged into a situation. And this is probably my biggest problem with this novel. Dewey Andreas is just not that interesting of a hero. He simply goes through the motions of a million other protagonists in this genre: wants to live a peaceful life, isn’t allowed to, has to rescue and /or avenge someone. He doesn’t have the intelligence and wit of Jack Ryan and he doesn’t have the physicality of Jason Bourne. Now, it may not be fair to make these comparisons, but I really feel that that was what Coes was going for and simply doesn’t distinguish himself enough.
My second problem is that Coes wears his politics on his sleeve a bit too much. And while I don’t begrudge him for his viewpoints, for which he is perfectly entitled to as much as Grisham is entitled to liberalism, Coes’ characters suffer. Americans come across as militant righteous jerks, and Iranians as stereotypical “possible” bad guys who shouldn’t get a single benefit of a doubt. All of this is very clearly stated in the novel. Does all this take away from Coes’ capabilities as a writer? Not at all and I’m sure a lot of people won’t be bothered by any of this, I guess it’s just a case of personal preference.
It wouldn’t be fair to deny that this novel has some things going for it. Coes has a very good sense of pacing and individual situations are tense and exciting. It is a consistently readable novel, at times very much so. And as much as I disliked Andreas, some of the supporting players, representatives of agencies are very sharp and have good dialogue.
“The Last Refuge” will work best for newbies in this genre. It is a serviceable introduction to this kind of writing but more experienced fans will have a problem not comparing with what came before. Coes is a promising talent, he just needs to work on giving us more of his own unique voice and toning down on his politics affecting his characters.
Profile Image for L.A. Starks.
Author 10 books648 followers
August 20, 2013
Vince Flynn readers will appreciate the seamless action and grounded research Coes has put into this thriller. Very well done, very realistic. Coes is one of my new favorite authors.
2,490 reviews41 followers
May 25, 2012
I wasn't at all familiar with Ben Coes' work before I read THE LAST REFUGE, the third of the Dewey Andreas novels. I'm a thriller fan, first, and a political thriller junkie as well.

Here we have an Israeli, the great-grandson of Golda Meir, kidnapped off the streets of New York and smuggled into Iran or a show trial and public execution. He was supposed to meet Dewey for a secret job he needed help with. He's being held in the most secure prison in Iran and the torture has already started.

In the last book in the series, Meir had rescued Dewey, nearly dying himself and in fact losing six men to do it. Dewey felt obligated to do something about this latest development.

The secret operation Meir needed help with was a huge problem. Iran had developed a nuclear bomb and had plans to get it into Tel Aviv on a small boat and destroy the city. Assets in Iran that abhorred what was going on had gotten the word out and were working on finding it's location.

It was all done in secret because if Israel was notified, the mole in the Mossad, known of but not identified, would move the operation up. If the Americans were notified, they might launch a strike on Iran. Same result.

American had just lost it's President to a heart attack and the sworn-in VP was new at the job and naive. He believed Iran's talk of signing agreements and allowing inspectors to search plants.

Dewey comes up with an audacious plan to grab the bomb and use it to trade for Meir before he could be executed. Could it work? And the bomb had to be found first.

A nicely paced thriller that kept me flipping those pages until the end.

If one likes that sort of thing, highly recommended.
271 reviews3 followers
May 30, 2012
This is one of the best thrillers I have read in a long time (at least since the Lion's Game (Nelson DeMille)). This is the first book I read from Mr. Ben Coes and I will look forward reading his "Coup d'Etat" and "Power Down" and future ones to come. The author was brilliant on creating the environment for his story. The plot is simple. An ex-Army Ranger and Delta, Dewey Andreas, owns his life to Kohl Meir, the grandson of Golda Meir, who is an Israeli Special Forces commander and saved Dewey in a high risk operation. Meir goes to New York to meet Dewey and before their meeting Meir is abducted by Iranian secret service and is conducted to a security prison in Iran. Meir wanted to meet Dewey to tell him about a nuke designed by the Iranians to destroy TelAviv. Dewey now has a mission to find the bomb and save Meir, with no help from Americans or Israelis. Abu Paria is the head of VEVAK, Iranian Secret Service and an Islam fanatic. He will try to stop Dewey.

This book was brilliantly written by Mr. Ben Coes and published by St. Martins Press in July 2012. I recommend this book to the permanent library of any reader who loves an excellent thriller. Very entertaining reading, it took me almost 13 hours to read the entire book.

The author was kind enough to provide me a book for reviewing through his Marketing Manager, Lizzie McQuillan. Thanks to both for the opportunity they gave me to review this wonderful book.
Profile Image for Scott A. Miller.
484 reviews15 followers
July 3, 2022
Another excellent story, if only a tiny bit impossible to believe. Sometimes ones like this are the most fun though.

Dewey gets better with each book and assuming he’s going back to work for Uncle Sam things could get even more interesting. Iran was a perfect foe. Can’t wait to see who’s next, someone new or an old bad guy still on the board.
Profile Image for Michael.
Author 2 books93 followers
May 24, 2012
Dewey Andreas, former SEAL and Delta receives a message to meet Israeli Special Forces commander Kohn Meir in New York. Dewey owes him a debt from when he and his commandos saved Dewey from terrorists.

When Dewey reaches New York he finds that Meir had been kidnapped by Iranian operatives. They took him to Evin Prison in Iran where Meir would probably be tortured, have a mock trial and a public execution.

Dewey also learns that the reason Meir wanted Dewey was to recriut him for a mission. Iran has a nuke ready to strike at Tel Aviv.

The stiuation seems impossible. Meir is in Iran's most protected prisons and is sentenced to die but Dewey can't ask U.S. government or Israel for help because Iran might find out and use the nuke sooner.

This is a suspenseful story. With so much action, the author also does a good job with character development. Between action scenes, there are pauses when the characters think of their past or we see what is going on in the U.S. government. This permits the reader to catch their breath and get to know and appreciate the characters.

The story seems well researched and the plot is highly entertaining.
Profile Image for Alan.
121 reviews
June 17, 2012
Iran + nuclear device capability + captured son of former prime minister of Israel + rogue American agent + slippery government leaders = The Last Refuge. Where's the refuge again?

This book is very Clancy-esque. Coe strikes the right balance between techo-details and storyline development. His hero, Dewey Andreas, is memorable - see, I even remembered his name. The layered storytelling used by Clancy came through nicely, and major storylines were resolved nicely. In an apparent afterthought, and for no reason needed, Coe dipped to a gratuitous ending that did nothing for me. Right up until that point I thought I'd found another author to add to my favorites list, but no.

Sorry...3 stars.
Profile Image for Richard T..
Author 11 books57 followers
January 4, 2017
Dewey Andreas is a one-man army. In this book Dewey must outwit the Iranian government, foil an attack on Israel and free a friend from an impenetrable prison. Great read with plenty of action!
Profile Image for Matt.
3,613 reviews12.8k followers
October 31, 2012
Another excellent Coes novel. The author is a master with words: detailed description, plot lines that twist into directions one can never predict, and even development of characters throughout the series and well as within the book. This third book in the series picks up where the previous ended, using a plot line developed in the second and makes it one of the central tenets of this, the most explosive (no pun) book yet. Dealing with Iran and its nuclear ambitions, Coes sets the scene for a plausible story and the race to keep Iran from destroying its enemies. With an excellent sub-plot (I will not ruin it), Coes tells two stories at once, keeping them separate and yet tied their loose ends together where it benefits the overall story line.

While the story is full of violence and strong language, it is, actually, a seemingly realistic approach to how things would happen. Not that I am familiar with the world of covert operatives or CIA mission, but it seems possible, if not probable that the actions taken mirror what does happen in the real 'dark side of the moon' world. Coes has the expertise, so why not use it to his advantage? He is also quite in touch with which topics push a story along and how to mix them together for the best final product. I have yet to find a book that is sub-par or filled with fluff to reach a set page number. He moves through numerous topics in his books (oil rig destruction, political coups, and nuclear weapon usage) that are prevalent in today's society and could be key grounds for terrorist plots. The man, like Joel C. Rosenberg, could be an oracle, in a fiction writer's clothing.

I can strongly see the Vince Flynn and Brad Thor influence, but I see Coes able to stand out from them. He individualises his work and yet fans of the former two would surely love to devour this series.

Kudos Mr. Coes. Splendid work! You have found your niche... keep going with it.
Profile Image for Feather Stone.
Author 3 books99 followers
December 16, 2012
The Last Refuge is a political thriller from the get-go. Ben Coes has described the political climate in the USA to the Middle East so well that I was able to grasp the clandestine nature of the beast. And, truthfully, his depiction of the 'intelligence department' made me shiver. I suspect Ben's novel is painfully close to the truth on how the CIA and other security departments function.

The Last Refuge is past paced and exciting. The body count is up there and the callous nature of some of the characters was difficult to comprehend. If there is a weakness in the novel it's that I couldn't connect with the characters. I wanted the 'good guys' to win but only for the sake of preventing mass suffering of innocents.

If you like plot driven novels, espionage, and wish to experience the bitter taste on how some world federal governments might operate, you'll enjoy Ben's novel. He's an excellent writer, putting the reader into the scenes. You will experience the pain during interrogation and have doubts you'll survive. But you must. Israel is depending upon you.

I received The Last Refuge as gift in a competition. Thank you very much, Ben, for this awesome book. Feather Stone
Profile Image for Kashif.
134 reviews19 followers
April 14, 2019
The Last Refuge is a fast paced read that combines action, interesting characters, international and political intrigue, romance, and realistic narrative based on the news headlines. The Last Refuge sees Dewey Andreas on a dangerous journey to save a soldier who had saved Andreas during the events of the second book. The action is fantastic with a healthy dose of realism and bad-assery. The book introduces Foxx and Tacoma, two awesome additions to the narrative who help Dewey accomplish the impossible in this book. Dewey himself shines brighter as a menacing former Delta with a boatload of experience that helps him stay ahead of his enemies. From start to finish, The Last Refuge feels like a race car , with the reader in the driver's seat, bursting ahead without slowing down until the reader finally hits the last page. Looking forward to reading the next one in the series. The nitty gritty feel of the book accomplishes in creating a grounded thriller world where we need men like Dewey to battle evil.
Profile Image for David Rubenstein.
801 reviews2,503 followers
June 11, 2012
This is a fun, fast-paced political/adventure thriller that kept me at the "edge of my seat" through the entire book. I just couldn't put the book down, and read it in a day. The Iranians have kidnapped Israeli Kohl Meir, the grandson of Golda Meir. In addition, they are about to unleash a nuclear bomb on Israel. So Dewey Andreas, an American former SEAL and Delta, works to save the life of his friend, who had once saved his life. He concocts a crazy plan to save his friend and to steal the bomb, even while admitting that planning is not his strong suit.

I received an advance copy through Goodreads. Ben Coes should find a better proof-reader. There are minor typos throughout, and on page 288 there is a major typo where Marwan's name is switched with Qassou's. But these typos do little to detract from this great book.
Profile Image for Jacob Peled.
363 reviews6 followers
July 23, 2013
What a junk story.
So many superheroes. Such an unbelievable story. I am an Israeli, and let me tell you that one of the heroes in that story is an Israeli soldier. The way that the character is describe, is so none-Israeli, you can tell the author knows nothing about Israelis. I read half the book and throw it away. I got to the description of the Iranian trial, and it was so ridiculously described, that it was like an insult to the reader. Ben Coes has a long way to go, in order to resemble the deceased Vince Flynn.
Profile Image for Giovanni Gelati.
Author 31 books883 followers
June 11, 2012
I have read all three in this series and they just keep getting better and better. Ben Coes knows not only how to put together a fast,tightly woven, kicka#* novel, he understands how to add a measure of humanity, pride, loyalty, and moral barometer in his characters that is rare today.
To say I am looking forward to the next story is an understatement.
Profile Image for Joe Valenti.
356 reviews4 followers
February 29, 2020
So, so, so incredibly good!! This was one of those books that makes we look forward to the next free moment I have so that I can open it back up. I'm really starting to like Dewey and appreciate the depth if character that is occurring in the supporting players. Awesome plot - flew through this one!!
Profile Image for John of Canada.
892 reviews53 followers
December 5, 2021
Formulaic, but it's good formula. Coes does the cliffhanger, to be continued thing which I don't think is necessary because I'm going to continue this series anyway. He usually resolves early in the following book so okay.
89 reviews3 followers
May 5, 2017
This is becoming one of my all time favorite series, so excited that i can continue non stop to the next one!
Profile Image for Ashima Jain.
Author 4 books29 followers
March 22, 2017
I am on a Dewey Andreas binge and can't seem to get enough of him. I particularly love how the author has linked the characters and events between books into one continuing story.
1,132 reviews
November 23, 2019
Excellent

A really great read. Mr Coes you are a truly a gifted storyteller. The characters are well developed, you feel as If you are part of the story. A well paced story.
Profile Image for Jerome Otte.
1,730 reviews
May 12, 2013
Iranian agents have kidnapped an Israeli commando (Kohl Meir) and transported him back to Tehran, where he is being held and tortured in the notorious Evin Prison while awaiting a show trial for murder. Dewey owes his life to Meir's bravery, and he feels honor-bound to attempt to rescue him from almost certain execution at the hands of the Iranians.

The story unfolds at a brisk pace, as the Iranians have just achieved their goal of building a nuclear weapon and the regime wants to unleash it on Israel as quickly as possible. Moreover, although Andreas knows about the existence of the Iranians' new weapon, the suspected presence of a mole within the highest ranks of the Israeli government forces him to largely keep that knowledge to himself. Thus, as he maps out an operation to free Meir and thwart the Iranians' plan to strike a nuclear blow against Israel, Andreas is forced to work outside America's traditional covert ops framework, relying on his own cunning and logistical support from a pair of patriotic private contractors.

Coes demonstrates a gift for descriptive writing to paint vivid scenes that serve as a great backdrop for the story. Andreas is a fearsome and determined protagonist who conceives creative, out-of-the-box solutions to the problems he encounters, which helps keep the plot twisting in unexpected directions at times.

However, some of the violence is so awkward it's almost funny. At one point, Andreas jumps off a hotel balcony, twists in mid-air, and shoots well enough to hit a target on the balcony he just fled, at night, before splashing down in the hotel pool. Yeah, right.

What action there is found in the last 60 pages and it is rather lackluster at best. Mr. Coes once again uses his favorite cuss word to the exclusion of any other swear words and once again the Arabs use it more than the Americans. Mr. Coes seems fond of the crossing of the arms over the chest with two pistols and blazing away. I would like to point out that you can't aim this way and the shooter will get hot shell casing in his face from the pistols ejecting shells to the right. This leads me to point out several other mistakes. Ocne, in the book Dewey is said to be driving a Ford Tahoe. Wrong Tahoe is a Chevy, In the first part of the book the killer has a Beretta 93 and on the next page she lowers the .45 by her side. Wrong, the 93 or 93R are 9mm only.

I have a problem with the elevator scene. I know I am to suspend belief when reading this type of novel but there are limits. Here we go: there is this elevator and the bad guy and his 5 body guards get into it along with one woman and her "boy friend." This is 8 people in a standard elevator. The boyfriend pulls TWO pistols with silencers out from his jacket and once again crosses his arms and shoot 4 of the body guards while the woman pulls her .45 out of her dress shoots the other body guard and then does a karate kick to the side of the of the bad guy. All the while no bullets go through the body guards and strike the steel walls of the elevator and ricochet hitting the woman or the boyfriend. Would anyone like to try this and see if it is possible?
Profile Image for Anjana.
Author 3 books261 followers
June 9, 2012
I read this book so fast! Like fast even for me and everyone who knows me would tell you that I read insanely fast. It was that good. I haven't read thrillers in a long time but when I was offered a review copy of this book, some quick googling was all it took for me to give it a shot because Ben Coes' books seem to have raving reviews everywhere..and they were right.

The Last Refuge is the third book in the Dewey Andreas Series. I haven't read the first two so I wasn't sure if I'd be able to catch up to the series at first. I have a rule about trying to not read/review books belonging to a series that I haven't read previous books of but I read somewhere that these books can be read as a standalone as well..and honestly, once I started reading it, I had no trouble catching up.

I was glued from freaking page one. I don't think I've read any thrillers (at least not anytime recent) that pits a country against another.

The story starts with the US President, Rob Allaire having a laid back evening after hunting with John Schmidt who is his Communication Director, Tim Lindsay who's the U.S. Secretary of State and Hector Calibrisi who's the Director of the Central Intelligence Agency (or to put it cooler, the CIA) and they're are all essential characters to the plot in one way or another. They spend the evening discussing a proposal for Allaire to sit down and have a (friendly) talk with the President of Iran, a country known for it's terrorism. However, call it bad luck or something else, that evening ends in a disaster when the President has a stroke that makes him brain dead and things only get worse from there when Kohl Meir is captured by the Iranians and taken back to Iran where he's held hostage.

That's when the story actually begins.

Ben Coes' writing is simple, straight forward and I loved it! I think it's what made it so incredibly easy for me to understand what was going on and get into the plot. Coes is probably the only author I know who manages to write movie worthy action scenes that literally paints the image for me.

The Last Refuge is thrilling, action-packed and totally made of awesome. Jason Bourne fans will eat this up, just for the fast pace of the book. I'll definitely be buying the first two novels of this series!
Profile Image for Jennifer Lane.
Author 14 books1,415 followers
June 25, 2012
Iran Has a Nuclear Bomb!

The Last Refuge is a political thriller spanning from the US to Iran. The plot is intricate, plausible, and gripping. This is my first read by author Ben Coe but it won't be my last.

The story revolves around two men: Dewey Andreas, former US military, and Kohl Meir, Israeli special forces commander. Dewey is the whole package--hard, intelligent, and competent. Kohl, the grandson of Golda Meir, helped saved Dewey's life once. Now, Kohl's the one with his life on the chopping block, and only Dewey to save him.

Iranians kidnap Kohl in the US and secret him away to an Iranian prison, where they torture him with methods that will make your skin crawl. When the CIA finds out, they're furious:

"What is it with these f-ing Iranians and their hostages?" asked Calibrisi. "It's like an industry over there. It's the only thing they're good at."

Though humorous, that comment made me wonder if the author would paint all Iranians in a negative light. Then he describes the Iranian president's maniacal smile (that) crept like a small garter snake across his lips and my concern increased (great description, though!). But I liked how the author then makes a point that there are good men and women in every country despite the malfeasance of their leaders.

Dewey Andreas is so confident that he views any threat as a fun challenge. Upon learning that a needed weapons dealer is the same man who almost got him killed, Dewey actually grins. You can almost hear him say, "Bring it on." It's a good thing he's so feisty because he has to rescue Kohl from an impenetrable prison all the while a nuclear bomb sits hidden deep in Iran, waiting to blast Tel Aviv into oblivion. The pressure's on!

Dewey also has a keen sense of humor. I love what he writes to replace "Goodbye, Tel Aviv" on the bomb.

While the plot is A+, the characterization was a bit lacking for me. I was invested in Kohl's future but Dewey wasn't as easy to connect with for me. However, I haven't read the first two novels in this series, AND the suspense/thriller novels I read have more romance in them, so take this criticism with a grain of desert sand.

I'm in awe of the painstaking research this novel must have taken. Fans of political thrillers will love this taut, suspenseful story!

(I received an ARC from the publisher for a fair review.)
Profile Image for ElaineY.
2,077 reviews68 followers
August 30, 2021
REVIEW OF AUDIOBOOK, Aug 30 2021
3 stars

I didn't enjoy this as much as I did the first time in 2016. The same problem repeated: I couldn't follow, or had zoned out, how Dewey got the real bomb replaced by the fake one he had made.

It also took way too long to get things moving. I don't mean the plot but the telling of it. IMO it would have been better-paced if it was a couple of hours shorter.

REVIEW OF AUDIOBOOK; JANUARY 2, 2016
Narrator: Peter Hermann
4 stars

Too many things happening in different countries at the same time, like the first two books, but where I could follow those, in this 3rd installment, I got a bit lost. It's a book best read or listened to accompanied by the ebook, IMO. Unless you're familiar with handling nuclear bombs. Not only am I totally unfamiliar with that, I'm new to the action-thriller genre. I loved the first two books and was looking forward to this one because it had Kohl Meier but, in the end, the whole operation to steal Iran's nuclear bomb, went a bit over my head. I'm still not sure how Dewey stole the bomb and . Throughout the book I felt on edge and anxious about Kohl under torture. He's 25. A baby. I'm a mother of 4 boys. I'd give them bad guys the secrets of the universe, I'm sure.

I didn't like that it took so long to get the rescue of Kohl going. Yes, the bomb is more important and the US President doesn't want to get involved with the rescue of Kohl as it's totally Israel's problem. Dewey sees different since he figures he owes Kohl his life but that darn nuclear bomb is in the way so Dewey has to take care of that first while he plans Kohl's rescue. Meanwhile, the clock is ticking for Kohl as the kangaroo court is underway and his execution draws nearer.

Once again, the pace is frenetic and again, after each Dewey Andreas book I have to listen to something totally different just to bring my pulse rate back down. First thing I did when I woke up this morning was to put on Book 4, Eye for an Eye. I stopped only because I'm addicted to my morning coffee. I plan to continue once I post this review!
Profile Image for Benjamin Thomas.
1,933 reviews263 followers
May 25, 2016
This being the third book in a contemporary action series, I was a little concerned going in to it. I had been amazed with the first novel, "Power Down" due to its unique and intriguing plot and was equally impressed with the second novel, "Coup D'état" because the author refused to follow a templated, formulaic plot and had once again provided a fantastic read. So how would this third one stack up?

To tell the truth I was a little worried through the first 1/3rd of the book. Don't get me wrong; it was well written, and I enjoyed getting to see some of the major returning characters fleshed out a little more. But I was concerned about the plot cruising along on "neutral". Book marketers for this type of fiction like to say their plots are "ripped right from today's headlines". This story would seem to be the same as it involves Iran and their emerging nuclear weapons program and our protagonist, Dewey Andreas, would obviously and predictably be in the middle of whatever happened.

I have come to rely on this author to provide new slants on overused plots and this novel turned out to vindicate my belief in him. The story soon turned everything on its head and nothing was predictable. The supporting cast is well drawn and Dewey himself showed that he is not the perfect, untouchable, hero that I've seen in so many similar novels and does, in fact, have vulnerabilities. The pacing is spot on and the characters (whether politicians, terrorists, good guys or bad guys) were well rounded and believable. Thankfully, the author relies on good storytelling techniques and not an inundation of tech terms that are unnecessary. (One of my pet peeves is when an author spends more time on the intricacies of a particular gun or weapons system than on his/her characters, like he/she has to somehow prove their authorship by providing their credentials). The ending was spectacular and satisfying.

Ben Coes has made the transition from "new" author to one of my go-to authors for a great read. If you like Vince Flynn or Brad Thor, I suggest you give Ben Coes a try.
5,200 reviews53 followers
September 1, 2012
#3 in the Dewey Andreas series. The series rushes along at a breakneck pace. All the better to obscure the gaps in logic and the leaps of faith required to swallow the abilities of our hero. But never mind that, you didn't read this book for a sober exposition of the Iranian efforts to become a nuclear nation and its ongoing enmity towards Israel. Israeli commando Kohl Meir (great-grandson of Golda Meir) and his team rescued Dewey Andreas at the end of "Coup d'Etat" (2011), losing six of the team in the process. Meir is in the U.S. to pay respects to the parents of one of his fallen teammates and to pass a message to Andreas that he has received proof that Iran has a nuclear bomb (a picture showing the legend "Goodbye, Tel Aviv" written on the bomb). He is abducted by agents of the Iranian secret service and taken to an impregnable prison in Iran where he is tortured, tried for murder, and sentenced to death. Andreas has only days to figure out not only how to find and capture the bomb but rescue Meir. And, he must do it without the help of the U.S. government (the new President wants to play nice with the Iranian President) or the Israeli government (the is a Chinese mole in the Mossad who will cause the bomb to be immediately activated rater than be destroyed).

Dewey Andreas series - Israeli Kohl Meir is captured by the Iranian secret service, who smuggle him back to Iran, where he is imprisoned. Meir was in NY to recruit Dewey Andreas. Meir had been tipped off by a high-level Iranian official that Iran had their first nuclear weapon. The proof was a photo of the bomb. Andreas owes his life to Meir and his team of commandos. Now, Dewey has to attempt to rescue Meir from a secure prison and find and eliminate Iran's nuclear bomb before it's deployed. Unfortunately, Dewey has caught the attention of Abu Paria, the head of the Iranian secret service.
Profile Image for Jacqui.
Author 62 books178 followers
May 12, 2012
Ben Coes--you get better every time.

If you read either of the first two Dewey Andreas novels--or both of them--don't miss the next in the series, The Last Refuge (St. Martin's Press 2012). Coes has always been a good-to-great writer, but here, he's on a par with the best (I won't name names). Dewey is vintage Good Guy with the loyalty, strength, common man characteristics we Andreas fans have come to expect from our hero. There are lots of Great Dewey moments like this one:

"Dewey sprinted through the terrace door, onto shattered glass, then jumped, right foot first, to the railing, then out into the open air. As he leapt, he turned, rotating, and fired back up at the terrace."

Can you see him running full-tilt, leaping into thin air while maintaining the presence of mind to pivot and fire at his enemy? God, I love Dewey.

The supporting characters are fully fleshed and likeable. The plot is non-stop action that tingles with twists and tricks. Coes uses the questionable device of multiple point of views to bury the reader in the action. In the hands of Coes, it works brilliantly, infusing the story with rich, full emotion and drama. From the beginning, Coes leaves us wondering how Andreas can accomplish his assigned task. Over and over, we see no way, yet Dewey has a plan and works it, built on nothing but his cleverness and belief in success.

I found it surprising that Coes characterized Andreas as NOT a planner. Dewey is always a step ahead of me in his problem-solving. I spent much of the book trying to figure out why he did some of the creative stuff he did, only to see it all wrapped up nicely in the end.

What a great read. Don't--really, I mean it--don't miss this.
Displaying 1 - 30 of 363 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.