Start by marking “The Last Refuge (Dewey Andreas, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Last Refuge (Dewey Andreas, #3)

The Last Refuge

(Dewey Andreas #3)

With time running out to stop the nuclear destruction of Tel Aviv, Dewey Andreas must defeat his most fearsome opponent yet.

Off a quiet street in Brooklyn, New York, Israeli Special Forces commander Kohl Meir is captured by operatives of the Iranian secret service, who smuggle Meir back to Iran, where he is imprisoned, tortured, and prepared for a show trial.

What they don'
Published July 3rd 2012 by St. Martin's Press

To ask other readers questions about The Last Refuge, please sign up.
Henri Moreaux
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Start your review of The Last Refuge (Dewey Andreas, #3)
Melissa
3/13: I don't have much to add to this review except that this time I listened to it on Audible. The narrator is fantastic! He gets all the voices perfectly, except for Jessica. I don't remember her being described as having an Irish accent. Other than that, a thrilling listen!

Original review:
What can I say about my new favorite super-hero? Action-packed, well-paced and a premise that very current in today's environment. Ben Coes is right up there with the Brads (Taylor and Thor) for well-writte
Tim
Feb 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
My favorite Dewey Andreas to date. Very well done. 10 of 10 stars
Mike (the Paladin)
Yeah, I'm a bit worn out on thrillers now. Assassinations, tragic death, politicians playing CYA, betrayal of friends and allies, daring do, abductions...you get it.

I have liked the Dewey Andreas novels and this one is pretty good. But somehow I was feeling the been there done that feeling throughout the book. I freely admit that this may be me as much as the book. I mean for some time now all I wanted to read were thrillers.

Look this is a political action thriller. I am in "real life" more tha
Sean Peters
Aug 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Number three finished in the Dewey Andreas books, another great book, now on number four!

After the president of the United States unexpectedly succumbs to a stroke, Andreas’ friend, Israeli Special Forces commander (and Golda Meir’s great-grandson) Kohl Meir, is kidnapped by Iranians. With a cautious new president unwilling to get the U.S. government involved in an Iranian dispute, Andreas sets out on a dangerous mission to rescue Meir.

What they don't know is that Meir was in New York to recruit
Vjekoslav
May 22, 2012 rated it it was ok
“The Last Refuge” is Ben Coes’ third novel starring the character Dewey Andreas, after Coup D’ Etat, and “Power Down.” It belongs to one of my favorite genres, the political “real world” thriller. I get a real kick out of reading intelligent people sitting at a table, having an intelligent conversation about some urgent “we need to act now” situation. People like Tom Clancy, John Le Carre and Robert Ludlum are masters of this style of writing and have been copied many times.
I had two basic probl
L.A. Starks
Jul 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Vince Flynn readers will appreciate the seamless action and grounded research Coes has put into this thriller. Very well done, very realistic. Coes is one of my new favorite authors.
Randy
May 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I wasn't at all familiar with Ben Coes' work before I read THE LAST REFUGE, the third of the Dewey Andreas novels. I'm a thriller fan, first, and a political thriller junkie as well.

Here we have an Israeli, the great-grandson of Golda Meir, kidnapped off the streets of New York and smuggled into Iran or a show trial and public execution. He was supposed to meet Dewey for a secret job he needed help with. He's being held in the most secure prison in Iran and the torture has already started.

In the
Roberto Mattos
May 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is one of the best thrillers I have read in a long time (at least since the Lion's Game (Nelson DeMille)). This is the first book I read from Mr. Ben Coes and I will look forward reading his "Coup d'Etat" and "Power Down" and future ones to come. The author was brilliant on creating the environment for his story. The plot is simple. An ex-Army Ranger and Delta, Dewey Andreas, owns his life to Kohl Meir, the grandson of Golda Meir, who is an Israeli Special Forces commander and saved Dewey i ...more
Michael
Dewey Andreas, former SEAL and Delta receives a message to meet Israeli Special Forces commander Kohn Meir in New York. Dewey owes him a debt from when he and his commandos saved Dewey from terrorists.

When Dewey reaches New York he finds that Meir had been kidnapped by Iranian operatives. They took him to Evin Prison in Iran where Meir would probably be tortured, have a mock trial and a public execution.

Dewey also learns that the reason Meir wanted Dewey was to recriut him for a mission. Iran ha
Alan
Jun 17, 2012 rated it liked it
Iran + nuclear device capability + captured son of former prime minister of Israel + rogue American agent + slippery government leaders = The Last Refuge. Where's the refuge again?

This book is very Clancy-esque. Coe strikes the right balance between techo-details and storyline development. His hero, Dewey Andreas, is memorable - see, I even remembered his name. The layered storytelling used by Clancy came through nicely, and major storylines were resolved nicely. In an apparent afterthought, and
Matt
Apr 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook
Another excellent Coes novel. The author is a master with words: detailed description, plot lines that twist into directions one can never predict, and even development of characters throughout the series and well as within the book. This third book in the series picks up where the previous ended, using a plot line developed in the second and makes it one of the central tenets of this, the most explosive (no pun) book yet. Dealing with Iran and its nuclear ambitions, Coes sets the scene for a pl ...more
Feather Stone
Sep 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
The Last Refuge is a political thriller from the get-go. Ben Coes has described the political climate in the USA to the Middle East so well that I was able to grasp the clandestine nature of the beast. And, truthfully, his depiction of the 'intelligence department' made me shiver. I suspect Ben's novel is painfully close to the truth on how the CIA and other security departments function.

The Last Refuge is past paced and exciting. The body count is up there and the callous nature of some of the
Kashif
Apr 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Last Refuge is a fast paced read that combines action, interesting characters, international and political intrigue, romance, and realistic narrative based on the news headlines. The Last Refuge sees Dewey Andreas on a dangerous journey to save a soldier who had saved Andreas during the events of the second book. The action is fantastic with a healthy dose of realism and bad-assery. The book introduces Foxx and Tacoma, two awesome additions to the narrative who help Dewey accomplish the impo ...more
David
Jun 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a fun, fast-paced political/adventure thriller that kept me at the "edge of my seat" through the entire book. I just couldn't put the book down, and read it in a day. The Iranians have kidnapped Israeli Kohl Meir, the grandson of Golda Meir. In addition, they are about to unleash a nuclear bomb on Israel. So Dewey Andreas, an American former SEAL and Delta, works to save the life of his friend, who had once saved his life. He concocts a crazy plan to save his friend and to steal the bomb ...more
Jacob Peled
Jul 22, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 1-stars, _2013
What a junk story.
So many superheroes. Such an unbelievable story. I am an Israeli, and let me tell you that one of the heroes in that story is an Israeli soldier. The way that the character is describe, is so none-Israeli, you can tell the author knows nothing about Israelis. I read half the book and throw it away. I got to the description of the Iranian trial, and it was so ridiculously described, that it was like an insult to the reader. Ben Coes has a long way to go, in order to resemble th
Giovanni Gelati
May 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I have read all three in this series and they just keep getting better and better. Ben Coes knows not only how to put together a fast,tightly woven, kicka#* novel, he understands how to add a measure of humanity, pride, loyalty, and moral barometer in his characters that is rare today.
To say I am looking forward to the next story is an understatement.
Richard T.
Jan 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Dewey Andreas is a one-man army. In this book Dewey must outwit the Iranian government, foil an attack on Israel and free a friend from an impenetrable prison. Great read with plenty of action!
Joe Valenti
Feb 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
So, so, so incredibly good!! This was one of those books that makes we look forward to the next free moment I have so that I can open it back up. I'm really starting to like Dewey and appreciate the depth if character that is occurring in the supporting players. Awesome plot - flew through this one!! ...more
Rolando Barrientos
May 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is becoming one of my all time favorite series, so excited that i can continue non stop to the next one!
Ashima Jain
Mar 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I am on a Dewey Andreas binge and can't seem to get enough of him. I particularly love how the author has linked the characters and events between books into one continuing story. ...more
Vivian Byfield
Nov 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent

A really great read. Mr Coes you are a truly a gifted storyteller. The characters are well developed, you feel as If you are part of the story. A well paced story.
Jerome
Jun 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
Iranian agents have kidnapped an Israeli commando (Kohl Meir) and transported him back to Tehran, where he is being held and tortured in the notorious Evin Prison while awaiting a show trial for murder. Dewey owes his life to Meir's bravery, and he feels honor-bound to attempt to rescue him from almost certain execution at the hands of the Iranians.

The story unfolds at a brisk pace, as the Iranians have just achieved their goal of building a nuclear weapon and the regime wants to unleash it on I
Anjana
May 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
I read this book so fast! Like fast even for me and everyone who knows me would tell you that I read insanely fast. It was that good. I haven't read thrillers in a long time but when I was offered a review copy of this book, some quick googling was all it took for me to give it a shot because Ben Coes' books seem to have raving reviews everywhere..and they were right.

The Last Refuge is the third book in the Dewey Andreas Series. I haven't read the first two so I wasn't sure if I'd be able t
Jennifer Lane
Jun 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
Iran Has a Nuclear Bomb!

The Last Refuge is a political thriller spanning from the US to Iran. The plot is intricate, plausible, and gripping. This is my first read by author Ben Coe but it won't be my last.

The story revolves around two men: Dewey Andreas, former US military, and Kohl Meir, Israeli special forces commander. Dewey is the whole package--hard, intelligent, and competent. Kohl, the grandson of Golda Meir, helped saved Dewey's life once. Now, Kohl's the one with his life on the ch
Benjamin Thomas
This being the third book in a contemporary action series, I was a little concerned going in to it. I had been amazed with the first novel, "Power Down" due to its unique and intriguing plot and was equally impressed with the second novel, "Coup D'état" because the author refused to follow a templated, formulaic plot and had once again provided a fantastic read. So how would this third one stack up?

To tell the truth I was a little worried through the first 1/3rd of the book. Don't get me wrong;
Ed
Sep 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
#3 in the Dewey Andreas series. The series rushes along at a breakneck pace. All the better to obscure the gaps in logic and the leaps of faith required to swallow the abilities of our hero. But never mind that, you didn't read this book for a sober exposition of the Iranian efforts to become a nuclear nation and its ongoing enmity towards Israel. Israeli commando Kohl Meir (great-grandson of Golda Meir) and his team rescued Dewey Andreas at the end of "Coup d'Etat" (2011), losing six of the tea ...more
ElaineY
Jan 02, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
REVIEW OF AUDIOBOOK; JANUARY 2, 2016
Narrator: Peter Hermann

Too many things happening in different countries at the same time, like the first two books, but where I could follow those, in this 3rd installment, I got a bit lost. It's a book best read or listened to accompanied by the ebook, IMO. Unless you're familiar with handling nuclear bombs. Not only am I totally unfamiliar with that, I'm new to the action-thriller genre. I loved the first two books and was looking forward to this one because
Jacqui
May 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: thriller-mystery
Ben Coes--you get better every time.

If you read either of the first two Dewey Andreas novels--or both of them--don't miss the next in the series, The Last Refuge (St. Martin's Press 2012). Coes has always been a good-to-great writer, but here, he's on a par with the best (I won't name names). Dewey is vintage Good Guy with the loyalty, strength, common man characteristics we Andreas fans have come to expect from our hero. There are lots of Great Dewey moments like this one:

"Dewey sprinted throu
Brent
Aug 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Ben Coes continues his string of success with The Last Refuge, the third installment in his series of thrillers starring former Delta Force soldier, Dewey Andreas.

The Last Refuge picks up right after the conclusion of Coup D'Etat, the second book in the series. Iranian agents have kidnapped an Israeli commando (Kohl Meir) and transported him back to Tehran, where he is being held and tortured in the notorious Evin Prison while awaiting a show trial for murder. Dewey owes his life to Meir's brave
Book Him Danno
I love political thrillers and this is a good one. I haven’t read the other two in this series and if I get the time I will go back and read those, but it is not necessary to have read them to enjoy this book, Number 3. The characters are a bit over the top and larger than life, but if they have lived the lives they portray then it is necessary to be that way to stay alive. The authors dislike of Iran is apparent in this book, but also he lets you know that there are good people even among the w ...more

• Total Power (Mitch Rapp, #19)
  • All Necessary Force (Pike Logan, #2)
  • True Believer (Terminal List, #2)
  • Enemy of Mine (Pike Logan, #3)
  • One Minute Out (Gray Man, #9)
  • On Target (Gray Man, #2)
  • Dead Eye (Gray Man, #4)
  • Savage Son (Terminal List #3)
  • Ballistic (Gray Man, #3)
  • The Terminal List (Terminal List, #1)
  • Hunter Killer (Pike Logan #14)
  • Near Dark (Scot Harvath #19)
  • Back Blast (Gray Man, #5)
  • One Rough Man (Pike Logan, #1)
  • The Widow's Strike (Pike Logan, #4)
  • The Polaris Protocol (Pike Logan, #5)
  • Lethal Agent (Mitch Rapp, #18)
  • The Forgotten Soldier (Pike Logan, #9)
Ben Coes is the New York Times bestselling author of international political and espionage thrillers including Power Down, Coup d’État, The Last Refuge, Eye for an Eye, Independence Day, First Strike, Trap the Devil, and Bloody Sunday.

Ben’s books all center on Dewey Andreas, a former U.S. Special Forces soldier who was kicked out of the military after being falsely accused of crimes he did not co

Dewey Andreas (10 books)
  • Power Down (Dewey Andreas, #1)
  • Coup d'Etat (Dewey Andreas, #2)
  • Eye for an Eye (Dewey Andreas, #4)
  • Independence Day (Dewey Andreas, #5)
  • First Strike (Dewey Andreas, #6)
  • Trap the Devil (Dewey Andreas, #7)
  • Shooting Gallery (Dewey Andreas, #7.5)
  • Bloody Sunday (Dewey Andreas, #8)
  • The Island

News & Interviews

“his head. “Ring any bells?” asked the stranger.” 0 likes
“No one can be trusted, Russia, China, North Korea Pakistan. Certainly not the Iranians – Hector Calibrisi” 0 likes