Start by marking “The Mysterium: A Hugh Corbett Medieval Mystery” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
The Mysterium: A Hugh ...

Paul Doherty

The Mysterium: A Hugh Corbett Medieval Mystery (Hugh Corbett #17)

4.09  ·  Rating details ·  334 Ratings  ·  29 Reviews
In The Mysterium, a new installment in the "deliciously suspenseful" Hugh Corbett Medieval Mystery series by P.C. Doherty, Sir Hugh Corbett is ordered to investigate the murder of a Chief Justice in the King's Court.

February 1304—London is in crisis. A succession of brutal murders shocks the city as it comes to terms with the fall from power of Walter Evesham, Chief Justic
Published April 24th 2012 by Minotaur Books (first published April 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Mysterium, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mysterium

AphroPhantasmal
Jun 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

I didn't think I would find another series that would grab me as much as The Matthew Shardlake Mysteries or The Mistress of the Art of Death series but Paul Doherty is scratching that itch and I can't wait to read the rest of his Hugh Corbett novels.

The amount of detail is richly describe and believable. How often do many authors mention just how dirty and smelly the middle ages really were when compared to modern day levels of cleanliness? And while many authors of historical mysteries like to
Sharon
Jul 10, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have read several of these Medieval mysteries and enjoyed them all. There is lots of historical and cultural detail along with very memorable characters. In this book, Sir Hugh Corbett, under the employ of King Edward the First, seeks out the identity of a serial killer and ends up unmasking several people caught up in a series of murders that began over 20 years ago. A definite must read for those who enjoy an historical setting for their mysteries.
Andrew Doohan
Another masterful foray into the world of mystery, intrigue and murder in the City of London under King Edward I of England. The Keeper of the King's Secret Seal, Sir Hugh Corbett, our eponymous hero, is charged by the King to get to the bottom of the matter in an expeditious and understated manner. As we have come to expect, Corbett does exactly that, ably assisted by his faithful companions Ranulf and Chanson, but the outcome of this particular case doesn't end as it usually does.

The ability o
Lisa
Feb 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical, mystery
It's always fun discovering a new author to enjoy. I stumbled upon the Hugh Corbett books in the midst of clicking through a long line of "readers also liked"
Found this one in the library system (always nice to try an author out before forking over money). Nice period feel, interesting characters, clever clues. All-in-all a fine historical mystery.
Nancy Newton
Fascinating look into medieval England. Hard to follow at times.
Penguin Tummy
Dec 04, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another fantastic murder mystery, the historical details are so precise and you feel drawn into the dark and dank alleys of medieval London.
Linda Curtis
Sep 25, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love all these Hugh Corbett mysteries. I hope this is not the last of them.
Cate
I do like a mediaeval mystery novel occasionally, and was looking forward to reading this when I discovered it. It wasn’t until I was closing the cover that I realised this was the 17th book in the Hugh Corbett series, making this an ideal novel for those who don’t want to get caught up in yet another long running series.

The characters, both main and minor are written with all the dirt and smell of the middle ages attached to them. So much so, that at times, I almost turned my nose up at some of
Sue Law
A gripping entry in the Corbett canon. A serial killer who was thought to have disappeared 20 years previously suddenly becomes active again, killing a senior King's justice when he falls from grace. And not just the disgraced justice... The killings continue as Corbett races to find out exactly what happened 20 years ago. It would have been 4 stars, but I thought the ending was weak.
Tracey Allen at Carpe Librum
I've been following Paul Doherty's medieval mystery series featuring Sir Hugh Corbett for many years now, and his latest novel, The Mysterium is 17th in the series.

Set in London in 1304, Hugh Corbett is engaged by the King to investigate two murders which occur shortly after the fall from power of Walter Evesham, Chief Justice. Evesham himself is soon found slain, and it seems a ghostly assassin is on the hunt with Corbett close behind.

The Mysterium is the name of an assassin who stalked London
  • City of Fiends (Knights Templar, #31)
  • The Bone-Pedlar (Sir Richard Straccan, #1)
  • The Midsummer Crown (Roger the Chapman #20)
  • Remedy For Treason (Chronicles Of Isaac Of Girona, #1)
  • The Tarnished Chalice (Matthew Bartholomew, #12)
  • The Dove of Death (Sister Fidelma, #20)
  • The King's Bishop (Owen Archer, #4)
  • The Wolves of Savernake (Domesday, #1)
  • Serpent in the Thorns (Crispin Guest, #2)
  • The Tavern in the Morning (Hawkenlye Mysteries, #3)

He has been published under several pseudonyms: P.C. Doherty, Celia L. Grace, Paul Harding, Ann Dukthas, Vanessa Alexander, Michael Clynes and Anna Apostolou but now writes only under his own name.

Paul Doherty was born in Middlesbrough (North-Eastern England) in 1946. He had
More about Paul Doherty...

Hugh Corbett (1 - 10 of 19 books)
  • Satan in St Mary's (Hugh Corbett, #1)
  • The Crown in Darkness (Hugh Corbett, #2)
  • Spy in Chancery (Hugh Corbett, #3)
  • The Angel of Death (Hugh Corbett, #4)
  • The Prince of Darkness (Hugh Corbett, #5)
  • Murder Wears a Cowl (Hugh Corbett, #6)
  • The Assassin in the Greenwood (Hugh Corbett, #7)
  • The Song of a Dark Angel (Hugh Corbett, #8)
  • Satan's Fire (Hugh Corbett, #9)
  • The Devil's Hunt (Hugh Corbett, #10)