Start by marking “Goliath” as Want to Read:
Goliath

Goliath

liked it 3.0  ·  Rating details ·  107 Ratings  ·  38 Reviews
When Percy Harding, Goliath's most important citizen, is discovered dead by the railroad tracks outside town one perfect autumn afternoon, no one can quite believe it's really happened. Percy, the president of the town's world-renowned furniture company, had seemed invincible. Only Rosamond Rogers, Percy's secretary, may have had a glimpse of how and why this great man has ...more
Published April 24th 2012 by St. Martin's Press (first published April 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Goliath, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Goliath

Tami
Mar 05, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I haven't received my copy yet, just received notice I had won. 3/5/12
Received yesterday and hope to start soon. I have 10 more plus my current read in front. 3/16/12
Started 4/21/12

Goliath is a small town based on the Harding Furniture Factory. It is full of a fun mix of characters and follows them through the days starting with the factory owners tragic suicide. What will become of the town and its residents?

This book had wonderful characters and a great story line, but I kept thinking okay, is
Stacy
Jul 10, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I didn't mind this book, but it tries to be existential in this wordy way you forget what this book is about. In fact, you're never really quite sure what the point is because it says it's about the death of this guy, but really, that's just the catalyst to get a sad, morose, inside-look at these people's lives. I got over half-way through then gave up.
Gary Crossley
Boring

Not my mind if book, I found this to be a slow read. This book just did not hold my interest .
Sandy
Mar 05, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
I have mixed thoughts about this book, it was a slow, calm read but yet it gave a lot of details about the town of Goliath and how one event can trigger or seem to set off other events. It all started with Vincent, a normal teenager who stumbles across the owner of the town’s furniture manufacturing plant who had been hit by a train. Rumors of why would a man of this prestige get hit by a train run through the town and the widow’s actions are something to read about. This event triggers a multi ...more
Matilda
Feb 22, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
OMG, we were so excited to receive this book in the mail! We haven't officially started up our 'In My Mailbox' feature, but we're working on it ... we promise. Anyways, this was our first ever win from Goodreads, a contest that was apparently sponsored by St. Martin's Press. So, we'd just like to say, thank you!

Oh, right. "Goliath." This was kind of a first for us. From Susan Woodring, and a little out of our young adult realm. Not that this book isn't ... wasn't an amazing book for teens to rea
Kristin
May 29, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this novel. Like much of Woodring's previous work, it balances restraint with lyricism. Through the depiction of a struggling small town and a handful of closely observed, if flawed, characters, Woodring gives us an entire world. She captures the tempo and concerns of a one-industry town in North Carolina, but her characters confront the largest of issues -- suicide, unemployment, faith, and family. The omniscient point of view is especially effective as it shows both the reacti ...more
May 04, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I really wanted to like this book as the blurb sounded so good but I finished the book feeling very confused and not really understanding what the bigger picture was supposed to be.

Goliath is about a small town that experiences a suicide of one of their wealthiest, most well known citizens. We hear most of the story through the voice of Ruth, her daughter Agnes, and Vincent (the boy who finds the body). The rest we get in snippets from the people in their lives. It flopped around so much that I
Betty O'Hearn
Mar 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was intrigued by this book when Susan Woodring came to Poetry Hickory and read. Western North Carolina has such an interesting history and living in Hickory, I have seen and heard what happened to local towns when unfortunately, major furniture manufacturing was moved to Asia.

Susan's characters are rich and you can propel yourself into the story. I often felt I was standing in an office watching a main character named Rosamond. You also will be acquainted to small town Southern life.

The book
Joyce
Jan 04, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book might have been better if its author had known more about her subject. It seemed to be a combination of "restless woman finds true love, happiness, and escape" which she covers pretty well, and "look at Winesburg Ohio" moved to a North Carolina mountain factory town and view the paucity of mill town existence one more time. Somehow, in a thousand little ways she fails to build her landscape or even most of her characters as credible. I wanted this to be a good book about an underrecogn ...more
Jessica
I won this novel through a goodreads' FirstReads giveaway.

Goliath tells the story of a small southern town, named of all things...Goliath. Goliath is a town anchored by the Harding Furniture Factory. The factory is where most of the town's residents work and the story starts as the factory's owner is found dead by the train tracks.

I found the book to be a slow read and it didn't capture my attention quite the way I had hoped. A blurb on the back compared the novel to Empire Falls by Richard Ru
Lisa Delaine Youngblood
This audiobook details the lives of many citizens of Goliath, a small town kept alive by a furniture factory. When the town's factory owner perishes from an apparent suicide, the town and the people in it begin to change.

Though the story itself is an excellent study of small-town America and the varying characters, festivals, and businesses that comprise that town, the story was far too long. Though the slow pacing was appropriate to the depiction of the town and lifestyles, much of the smae "ma
Clifford
May 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novels
Susan Woodring's Goliath is a remarkable book, filled with fully realized characters, perfect dialogue, and a plot that is always entertaining and never quite predictable. Add to that the omniscient point of view--something you don't see in many contemporary novels--and you've got a truly enjoyable read. The discovery of a body in the book's opening pages is the story's catalyst, but this is no ordinary mystery. Instead, it's something of a love story--or several love stories--not just about rom ...more
Laurel Dowswell
Sep 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Susan Woodring loves people. She knows them. When you read Goliath, she immerses you into their lives, their loves, their journeys. Whether you are with Rosamond, the small town's unique truthteller/social gypsy/ultimate romantic, a heartbroken drifter, or a teenage boy who just wants to undo what can't be undone, you feel their yearnings, doubts, and dreams. The diverse cast of characters in this novel of a small town faced with a big problem wrap themselves around you and won't let go. This wi ...more
Jerry Landry
Sep 18, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012-reads
After hearing Susan Woodring speak to the Charlotte Writers’ Club last month, I picked up her latest novel, Goliath, and found myself entranced with her story of a small North Carolina factory town going through numerous changes. The pacing of the novel helps the reader to truly understand the small town feeling of being in the middle of a community yet at the same time sometimes very much alone. Imagery is very important to this story as well, and Woodring weaves it into the plot to create a ri ...more
Sharon
Aug 17, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wish I had read this book when my life was not so busy. I would have enjoyed it more had I been able to read it in bigger chunks. It is the story of the small town of Goliath in the furniture building sector of the country. It starts with the death of the owner of the furniture company and how it affects the entire town. This could have been the story of any small town America in today's economic climate. Heartbreaking at times, hopeful at others. The character of Rosamund, Mr. Percy's secreta ...more
Shawn Steketee
Mar 20, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received this book from a Goodreads giveaway. This is a story about a small factory town where everyone knows everyone else. The pace is gentle and the author takes the time to really explore all of the characters. The real story is about the relationships, between mother and daughter, neighbors, school friends, husbands and wives and how those relationships change under stress. We find that knowing someone is not the same as understanding them.
Rachel
Mar 12, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
I won an ARC of this book through first reads.

I enjoyed this book. It was a little slow moving, but the descriptions of the town and the people living there were so strong and vivid. That was the part I liked the most. I felt like I really got to know every single character in the book and could feel what they were feeling.

It was interesting as well, to see how the death of Percy Harding, the first thing that happens, could effect an entire town and the events that stem from it.
Nancy Posey
May 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You don't have to live in Western North Carolina--the so-called furniture capital of the world-- to be drawn into this story of a small town in the aftermath of the death--hit by a train--of Percy Harding, the owner of Harding Furniture, the town's major employer. Woodring creates a townful of characters who are engaging, entertaining, and believable. Beautifully written.
Angyy
Apr 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received a finished copy of this book through Goodreads, was supposed to receive an ARC copy,but they had my zip code wrong, so they sent me a finished book.
I like this book,it started out slow but after I read awhile I like it. It had alot of descriptions of the town, and I loved Vincent and how the other people in the book were as if I knew them myself.
Lois25
Oct 17, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Small town, USA. Small town in NC sees the furniture company that is so important to the survival of the town close. Why it closed, individual characters that were affected, and the slow demise of a once vibrant town. I could relate to this book as I grew up in a small, one industry town in the 50‘s.
Gwen Veazey
Apr 18, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A rich novel about 1980’s characters in a tiny town named Goliath in western NC. I wanted to read it because this St. Martin’s Griffin published author lives in my county. She’s an excellent writer.
Christy Inge
May 28, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Didn't finish, which is very out of character for me. Even if I don't like a book that much, I always finish it. However, I decided I had too many other books I wanted to dive into. Perhaps another time, I'll pick it up and feel differently.
Ann Douglas
This novel is well-written and the characters are intriguing, but the plot is slow-moving (like the pace of life in the mythical small-town Goliath, I suppose). I was hoping for a bit more sizzle and spark.
Elizabeth
Didn't really grab me but I kept reading. I kept expecting the story to pick up or to reveal a twist or anything to get away from their drab little lives. It has great potential if the author re-wrote it wearing running shoes.
Erica Meats
One of the strangest books I have ever read. I kept expecting it to make sense but it really didn't. Descriptive characters with a good potential story but just dragged on. I made it a little over half way and just couldn't take it any more.
Kim Church
Oct 15, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Absorbing story of the death of a North Carolina furniture town. Susan Woodring has amazing dexterity with point of view; the novel's main character is the town of Goliath itself.
Jamie
Jun 13, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I could not get into this book...it jumped around too much and the story line was very boring...I kept reading thinking it would get better but it never did...didn't even make it to the end...
Dorothy Lloyd
I could not finish this book it was so boring.
Susannah
The ending - wow! Gives Eiplogue a whole new dimension!!
Crystal
Jul 10, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: firstread
I didn't enjoy it, but I do appreciate the author sending it to me through first reads, thank you.
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Battle Hymn of the Tiger Daughter
  • Sheik's Revenge
  • Scarlett's
  • Dream Walker (Paperback)
  • What Women Want
  • Molly September
  • Clawback (Silas Cade #1)
  • Instruction Manual for Swallowing
  • The Duchess of the Shallows (The Grey City #1)
  • Buying Time (Aspen Moore, #1)
  • The Way of the Eagle: An Early California Journey of Awakening
  • Beyond Bath Time: Embracing Motherhood as a Sacred Role (True Woman)
  • The Tree of Forgetfulness
  • Man in the Blue Moon
  • Until the Next Time
  • Ciao (On the Runway, #6)
  • Auraria
  • The Mermaid Collector
Susan Woodring is the author of two novels, Goliath (St. Martin’s Press, 2012) and The Traveling Disease (Main Street Rag, 2007) and a short story collection, Springtime on Mars (Press 53, 2008). Her short fiction has appeared in Isotope, Passages North, turnrow, and Surreal South, among other anthologies and literary magazines. Her work has twice been nominated for a Pushcart Prize and her short ...more
More about Susan Woodring...