Start by marking “Darth Vader and Son” as Want to Read:

Darth Vader and Son

(Star Wars: Darth Vader and Kids)

4.15  ·  Rating details ·  16,921 ratings  ·  1,463 reviews
What if Darth Vader took an active role in raising his son? What if "Luke, I am your father" was just a stern admonishment from an annoyed dad? In this hilarious and sweet comic reimagining, Darth Vader is a dad like any other except with all the baggage of being the Dark Lord of the Sith.

Published April 18th 2012 by Chronicle Books

·  16,921 ratings  ·  1,463 reviews

Start your review of Darth Vader and Son
Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede
May 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2015
It's not easy being a Sith Lord and a single father. Just ask Darth Vader...

This short book is quite charming to read. A perfect gift to a Star Wars fan. :)
Rhiannon
There are some people who will buy this book because they love Star Wars. And that's fine. I grew up in house with a Dad and a brother who loved Star Wars (I will be buying this book for my dad for The Father's Day). So, I ended up watching Star Wars movies, too, and playing "Star Wars"-related games with the boys in my neighborhood (hint: light sabers = red vs green freezepops) - probably more often than I would've liked. I didn't really "like" Star Wars until Harry Potter turned me into a ...more
Brad
Aug 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
So some idiot here on goodreads is complaining about Jeffrey Brown's Vader books because they don't follow the Star Wars stories closely enough, because they take liberties with Lucas's magnum opus. He even goes so far as to express concern for the victims of Darth Vader, as if they are real people in some real galaxy far, far away.

Enough taking this shit so seriously, morons! C'mon. It's just a silly Science Fantasy series, which really has nothing all that important to tell us in its original
Sh3lly
Nov 04, 2016 rated it really liked it

Pretty awesome, especially for Star Wars fans. I read Vader's Little Princess before this one and it's similar...illustrations of Darth Vader with Luke going through typical parental humorous moments. Lots of a-ha moments for fans of the movies. I quite enjoyed it! :)
Martin
May 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What if Darth Vader had to look after his very young son, Luke?

Imagine the trials and responsibilities the solo dad, Lord Vader, would have cope with every day.
Getting through a toy shop with the toys Vader thinks Luke should have and not the stupid ones he wants.
Play dates with totally unsuitable children.
And then there is Bed Time . . .

In the quotes below I have attempted to show you three cartoons from this very funny graphic book.
(I would appreciate advice on how to insert pictures from my
Jon Nakapalau
Great series that is sure to warm the heart of any Star Wars fan.
Scarlet Cameo
Feb 15, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This thing is absolutely lovely. I really like the way it "connect" the movies and Luke's fictional childhood. Nobody else can be a funnier dad than Vader or say that "Siths are the good guys"even when "They look like the bads."

The format is very nice, neat and practical. The pictures are quite cute.

My favorite page: The one that Daver prohibits Luke be friend of Han Solo.

Fun fact: I read the book at Office Depot until I waited for be attendent
Sophia Triad
Feb 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children, comics
This is the cutest Star Wars book!
It is not a comic book for children. It is a book for parents and especially for Star Wars’ fans since its humor is completely based on these movies for the most scenes. Of course there are moments that even a non Star Wars’ fan can understand.

Favorite quotes:

Darth Vader being just a parent:

“Luke, do you need to go potty?”
“No.”
“Well, you are kind of doing a little dance.”
“I don’t have to go.”

I completely understand him and I have experienced this dialogue
Gianfranco Mancini

Hilarious afternoon re-read with my little princess... read this years ago and now purchased it for my daughter. It made me laugh to tears like the first time! XD

Jeffrey Brown is a genius, if you are a Star Wars' fan give him a try... my daughter loved this book so much that I'm afraid we are going to have a lot of daily re-reads.

Melki
Apr 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is one of the few books every member of my household has read and enjoyed. (Well, technically the dog was pretty indifferent...)

Everyone agreed that this is the best comic:

In a toy store, young Luke picks out a Jar Jar Binks doll.
Darth says, "This isn't the toy you're looking for..."

Pretty cute, huh?
Daiane
Apr 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: retellings
"Together we can rule the Galaxy as father and son!" "And then can I have a treat?"

How adorable are the situations on the dark side <3

All the things daddy Vader has to do for his little Luke...

It's actually not one of those books that I want to reread over and over again, but it definitely made me smile. After I read (Just when I got it from the mail), my dad came to me and sad "Did you open it?" "I already read it!" So he took it and read while smiling. It's just too cute.

I must warn you,
Hollowspine
Feb 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel, ya
A very funny take on how life would be if Luke had stayed with his father, Darth Vader. Hilarious, and heart-warming.

It's a quick read, but many of the images and jokes will stay with me. I especially enjoyed Luke trying to use the force to sneak a cookie and Darth's many parental moments, giving Luke his ice-cream, healing his boo-boos and yelling at him for playing in the trash. Even if you don't get the many Star Wars references and jokes, it still is both very funny and even, dare I say,
Kelli
Nov 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Not only is this just outright FUN, but it also has a few really touching pages. Even Darth Vader finds wrapping challenging! Good to know that it isn't just me!
Jennifer Bacall
Apr 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is the perfect book for any young Star Wars fan or parent of young kids. Each page is its own story as we watch Darth Vader go through traditional parent activities with his son Luke (and in a few panels his daughter Leah shows up as well). Some pages illustrate a humorous scene with a well known phrase, such as "aren't you a little short for a stormtrooper", but with a new twist. Each page is well executed and FUNNY which is elevated the more of a Star Wars fan you are, the funnier the ...more
Jillian Reynolds (Jillian Loves Books)
Some people ask "why?"

In terms of this book, I ask...

Personal favorite quotes from the cutest Star Wars story I've ever read:

"This isn't the toy you're looking for."

"Luke, pick up your toys right this instant. Luke, I am your father. Do you want a time-out?"

"I find your lack of patience disturbing."

Basically, I'm just super bored at work right now and thought I'd give this a quick read.

5-out-of-5 would definitely recommend to a friend, especially if that friend needs a smile today.
Kathryn
Aug 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Soooo funny! Sooo awesome! Love it! Brown is immensely talented and brings such warmth and humor to this work. The various scenes from Vader's life with kiddo Luke are fresh and fun, but also wonderfully familiar to those who know kids and "Star Wars". The situations are ones that most parents/caregivers face but are set within the Star Wars universe. For example, Vader and Luke at the toy store and Luke wants the Jar-Jar Binks doll (perhaps the only doll in the universe more annoying than ...more
Chris
Jul 10, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: i-own
Normally I save my reviewing for longer books but this book was so much fun I just had to make a plug to help get the word out. Darth Vader and Son was recommended to me when I was reading another "Dad" book ("Dad Rules.").

Darth Vader and Son is a cute and fun ~60 page art/comic book. While the book doesn't have a particular plot arc that it follows, it has great storytelling moments that are portrayed fabulously. As the title implies, this book is about the interactions of Darth Vader and his
Leo
Apr 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
This quite a funny book, especially for Star Wars' fans. I haven't watched the movies (yes, I know. Whatevs...), so I didn't catch some of the references, but it's still funny, mainly because parenthood is a worldwide experience. And Jeffrey Brown's drawings have always been cool. So, give a try, people.
Tamara
A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away… Darth Vader was an awesome father?

Hehehe. This book is hilairous.

In Darth Vader and Son, author/illustrator Jeffrey Brown shows us the Dark Lord of the Sith as a loving father, spending time with his 4-year-old Luke, indulging the boy with ice cream treats, giving him piggyback rides, teaching him to ride a bicycle, and training him in the ways of the Force. The black-clad helmeted Vader is a proud father — he even brags when young Luke earns his
Sam Quixote
May 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
Jeffrey Brown has written/drawn a wonderfully funny comic about fatherhood from the point of view of Darth Vader and a young Luke Skywalker. The book is a series of one page skits, drawn and coloured in the best artwork Brown has produced yet, and if you're a fan of the original Star Wars trilogy, you'll love it.

There's lot of cute moments like young Luke pointing to a toy Jar Jar and Vader saying "This isn't the toy you're looking for", or when young Luke is crying after being pushed by young
Crystal Starr Light
Jan 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Awwwww, how cute! And funny! And I love the play on Star Wars quotes and parenting! I think even non-Star Wars fans may like this.
Alexis Justine
Dec 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Read this while babysitting. The kids and I were all laughing. Honestly how could I not give this 5 stars?
Jamey
May 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It was so adorable!! It was a quick and easy read that had me smiling all the way through. I highly recommend this book if you want to put a smile on your face. :)
Kitty Honeycutt
Apr 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Book Title: "Darth Vader and Son"
Author: Jeffrey Brown
Published By: Chronicle Books
Age Recommended: 5 +
Reviewed By: Kitty Bullard
Raven Rating: 5

[image]

Review: It really doesn’t matter if you are a Star Wars fan or not, when you read this little gem of a book, you will be sure to fall in love with Darth and Luke. The book paints the perfect picture of what it might have been like had Darth Vader raised his son.

With beautifully drawn, comical cartoons and a humorous and true look at what kids are
Vikingsnark
Oct 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A darling book for all ages, and a must-have for old school Star Wars fans turned parents!

Jeffrey Brown gives us a myriad of one-page comic illustrations of father-son scenarios that tug at the heartstrings and make you smile with geeky glee.
From "I find your lack of patience disturbing", "When I was your age we didn't have star destroyers", and "It is pointless to resist, my son. It's bedtime", this book is a treasure trove of geek quotes and puns set in a cute "what if Darth had raised Luke"
Jo
Dec 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
By Jeffrey Brown
Synopsis
Celebrated artist Jeffrey Brown's delightful illustrations give classic Star Wars moments a fresh twist, presenting the trials and joys of parenting through the lens
Kaethe Douglas
Feb 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
Squee!

Library copy
Christine
Nov 26, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: star-wars, childrens
It's cute. I liked the little in-jokes and details in the art.
Jerry
Sep 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Star Wars may be known for its intense action and dramatic twists, but, these comics just have fun with the franchise...which is a nice break from lightsaber duels and interstellar dogfights. If you prefer your space opera serious, this isn't for you; for those who enjoy a good laugh, though, this is worth reading.
Daniel (Attack of the Books!) Burton
Darth Vader and Son is a delightful and clever children’s comic book that is well conceived and worthwhile entertainment for children and adults alike.

Set up as a series of illustrated tableaus from the life of a Darth Vader who, instead of learning only mid-way through Empire Strikes Back that Luke Skywalker is his son, is the single father of a four-year old Luke (featuring a cameo from the other Skywalker twin, Leia–oops! Spoiler alert! Luke and Leia are siblings!), the book opens with a

• Star Wars: Age of Rebellion - Princess Leia #1
  • Star Wars: Age of Rebellion - Lando Calrissian #1
  • Star Wars: Age of Resistance - Finn #1
  • All My Friends Are Still Dead
  • All My Friends Are Dead
  • Labor (The Best We Could Do, #1)
  • Star Wars: ABC-3PO
  • Star Wars: Age of Republic - Anakin Skywalker #1
  • Star Wars: Jedi Academy 7: Revenge of the Sis (Jedi Academy, #7)
  • Journey to Star Wars: The Force Awakens - Shattered Empire #2
  • Journey to Star Wars: The Force Awakens - Shattered Empire #3
  • Star Wars: Jedi Academy 5: The Force Oversleeps (Jedi Academy, #5)
  • Journey to Star Wars: The Force Awakens - Shattered Empire #4
  • Star Wars: Jedi Academy 6: The Principal Strikes Back (Jedi Academy, #6)
  • Star Wars: Jedi Academy 4: A New Class (Jedi Academy, #4)
  • Star Wars: Age of Resistance - Rey #1
  • Troll Bridge
  • Star Wars: Age of Resistance - Rose Tico #1
Jeffrey Brown was born in 1975 in Grand Rapids, Michigan and grew up reading comic books with dreams of someday drawing them, only to abandon them and focus on becoming a 'fine artist.' While earning his MFA from the School of the Art Institute of Chicago, Brown abandoned painting and began drawing comics with his first autobiographical book 'Clumsy' in 2001. Since then he's drawn a dozen books ...more

Star Wars: Darth Vader and Kids (4 books)
  • Vader's Little Princess