Start by marking “The Hellion Bride” as Want to Read:
The Hellion Bride

The Hellion Bride

(Sherbrooke Brides #2)

Fall in love again—with the second novel in the Bride saga.

Sophia has successfully controlled every man in her orbit until she meets Ryder Sherbrooke, a man she senses is different from the others—a man she sees as one of hell’s own sons.
Audio CD
Published December 20th 2005 by Brilliance Audio (first published October 1st 1992)

To ask other readers questions about The Hellion Bride, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Hellion Bride

Start your review of The Hellion Bride
Preeti ♥︎ Her Bookshelves
This book tells a controversial story and doesn’t seem to care if it offends. Lots of triggers and nasty stuff but never a boring moment.
The story is as per the blurb but there’s no hellion bride! Not really. The h’s hellion-ness is over-alluded as the h is mostly vulnerable and on the wrong side of all power equations, and is sorely abused by various men throughout the book. The book can be divided into three parts, more or less.

**Major Spoilers**
(view spoiler)
WhiskeyintheJar

“I love you, Sophie Sherbrooke . I never thought such a thing existed, but evidently it does. I love you and I will love you until I cock up my toes and pass to the hereafter and I will still love you even as I float about in eternity. And I will continue to force you to pleasure until you accept my love and take me into your heart as well as into your body.”

I really liked the first half of this, the leads snapped, sparked, and challenged each other. The heroine had numerous great q
Christine
Aug 02, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
I was amused by my re-reading of the first book in the Bride series after 16 years, but not by the second. I vaguely remembered not liking it as much but now I can honestly say I detest it. It's disgusting, not at all romantic. I'm sorry, but raping a woman repeatedly is not going to make her learn, eventually, to enjoy your touch and come to orgasm. Bleh. Who comes up with this crap?

No, seriously. That's what happens. It starts out all right. Ryder goes to Jamaica where there are some problems
Apr 13, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The 'hero' in this book is a horrible person. He rapes his 'hellion bride' repeatedly as his method of making her be less afraid of men. Where is the logic to this? The woman had been beaten by her uncle repeatedly and made to pretend to be mistress to several men. The result is quite understandably that she does not trust men, and for good reason. Why, then, is it ok for her husband -- who gave her no choice about the marriage -- to have no regard for her feelings and ignore her when she clearl ...more
Maureen Feeney
WAS THIS THE SAME RYDER?

After reading some of the other reviews that are shocked at the abuse in this book, be warned when you pick up a CC novel there is ALWAYS some form of cruelty in it. Knowing this, the wedding night rape was no surprise to me and does not factor in my rating.

I liked "fun" Ryder in the SHERBROOKE BRIDE, but I honestly couldn't see him falling for a girl like Sophie when she was so cold and stubborn towards him. He came across too patient one moment and overly cruel the next
Jen Warren
Catherine Coulter and I have, I'd say, a 50% compatibility. I always love the first half of her books. I love the way she isn't afraid to tackle uncomfortable issues even in a historical romance. What I don't love? The WAY she tackles those issues - which is usually in the second half of the book.

Here, again, we have a heroine with serious intimacy issues...and again, we have an awful, AWFUL resolution. I won't go into details now, as I'm still aggravated enough by what happened that rehashing i
Nelly
I loved the 1st book because it was so funny and the characters extremely likable...

I decided to read Ryder's story because he was so funny and in the 1st book and it seemed promising... But I don't know what Coulter did to him, he lost his appeal. He wasn't funny anymore nor likable or even charming. Book 1 said he was blond but in this book he had light brown hair. Just to show how much she changed the character lol, so annoying...

Sophie/Sophia wasn't really likable. I didn't like her acting l
Book  Minx
Aug 04, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Lauren
Apr 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have always loved this book. But since I haven't read this book for a really long time, I had forgotten how much I did love this book. One of the main characters, Sophie, is, I believe, hilarious. Some of the situatiosn that she gets herself into are funny. Overall, there is stuff that is funny, serious, sad, and romantic. This is my kind of book.
Rose
Jun 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Much better than the first book. Gripping and funny at times. I love the way we revisit Douglas, Alex and Sinjun back at Northcliff.

I think a lot of the negative reviews on this one are a bit over the top with all this crying and deeming Ryders action as rape. Sophie is his wife and back in 1803 women were more submissive to their husbands. He took her all but three times until she had her first orgasm and then she never looks back! He didn't force her in a malicious way, Ryder truly loves his w
Anna Mcfadden
Ryder Sherbrooke travels to Jamaica to solve the mystery of the supernatural goings-on at the Sherbrooke sugar plantation. Ryder loves many women and is lable as a fun-loving rake. He has a secret that he even keeps from his family Ad he is investigating the supernatural mystery he finds another and that is in the former of a sophisticated nineteen-year-old girl, Sophia Stanton-Greville, who already has 3 lovers and wants to bed Ryder. Sophia has successfully controlled every man in her orbit un ...more
kate
Nov 06, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Kitty Kolb
This book is the perfect example of “Your Kink Is Not My Kink” but that’s still okay. The book was published in 1992, and shows its age. If your kink is men talking down to women and dubious consent, then this is the book for you. If you like enthusiastic consent, this book may raise so many eyebrows you’ll need to pencil more in. The other thing that set my teeth on edge was the point-of-view shifts. Coulter hops briefly into the heads of minor characters and back out, when surely there must be ...more
Carolyn
Well, re-reading this years later and after having read hundreds of historical romance novels certainly gave me a different perspective. If I was reading this now, for the first time, I never would have finished it. There were many parts that were downright offensive to me. As a huge fan of Catherine Coulter, knowing this was one of her early series, and knowing that her current work is nothing like this, I am not upset about it. It is interesting to note how our reading palate has evolved.
Lobna
Mar 27, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fic-history, romance
it was better than Sherbrooke bride defintely!
I do believe that there's a potential for a good book but I don't feel with the characters u need to feel it; be angry, sad and passionate but these are flat characters I feel like reading a newspaper not a book but I will read sinjun the next book cause I am intrigued and there's progress maybe it will get better
Gerry Bates
Jul 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another entertaining story.

This tale of Sophie and Ryder was quite different than I would have thought. The first half in Jamaica was filled with suspense and tension between the two. The last half in England had some very tender moments and some struggles as their relationship trust started to develop. I enjoyed it very much.
Pansy
It is such a kick rereading (or listening as is the case here) to these old (1992) books written by a favorite author. The style. The content. Remember the "bodice ripper?" Oh my. The precursor to today's "erotic" romance. Ryder and Sophia got pretty . . . interesting. *grin* Lovely story nicely narrated by Anne Flosnik.
Blue Rose
May 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have definitely read this before but I enjoyed rereading it in the course of the series. All the Sherbrooke men seem to be very stubborn and headstrong and it was amusing to see this one come to the realization that he is not always right.
Lisa
Aug 16, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I don't remember this book being quite so.... rapey.
Tonya Lucas
Feb 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ryder Sherbrooke and Sophie Stanton-Greville’s love story was fun. Mystery added in this one really added to the fun of this book. I’m not a fan of regency , but this one intrigued me.
Meriam Blair
Apr 24, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
To give this a classification of historical fiction is disrespectful to say the least.
Jessica
Dec 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: series
This was my favorite of the entire series. There is nothing better than a little sister that plans and plots.
Linda Kaban
Jan 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Book #2 in the series finished. I started with Book #3 and am working backwards. Coulter has an uncanny knack for creating characters that are believable.
Cindy Miller
It was so long ago the first time I read this book, so glad I'm rereading the Sherbrooke series since I forgot much of these stories. Loved Ryder and Sophie!!
Brenda Allen
Aug 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love the Bride series, Can't put them down and when I'm done i want more.
Ellyn (Mrs. Darcy in my Dreams)
DNF At 44%. I just couldn't come to like the hero. His treatment of Sophie up to this point was too shabby.
Mindy Cossins
Apr 24, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyed this story and the two main characters
am reading this brides all together
Vivian Olisah
Jul 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love the app
Sep 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-kindle
Really enjoyed this book. Am looking forward to the next in the series.
Rachel Avila
I love this book. It was the first book by Catherine Coulter that I ever read. At this point, I was completely unaware that it was part of a series, but it is my favorite within it.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• No Longer a Gentleman (Lost Lords, #4)
  • If He's Sinful (Wherlocke, #2)
  • Lions and Lace (Van Alen Sisters #1)
  • Lord of the Sky (The Executioner Knights, #6)
  • The Reunion (Second Chance Flower Shop, #3)
  • Not Quite a Wife (Lost Lords, #6)
  • Sometimes a Rogue (Lost Lords, #5)
  • Until Forever
  • A Rogue in Texas (Rogues in Texas, #1)
  • Not Always a Saint (The Lost Lords, #7)
  • Nowhere Near Respectable (Lost Lords, #3)
  • Dangerous To Trust (Spies, Lies & Lovers, #1)
  • Don't Look Back (Lake/March, # 2)
  • The Gentleman Who Loved Me (Heart of Enquiry, #6)
  • The Highlander Who Protected Me (Clan Kendrick #1)
  • When You Kiss Me (Maine Sullivans, #3; The Sullivans, #21)
  • Heiress for Hire (A Duke's Heiress, #1)
  • The Charm School (Calhoun Chronicles #1)

Sherbrooke Brides (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • The Sherbrooke Bride (Brides, #1)
  • The Heiress Bride (Brides, #3)
  • Mad Jack (Brides, #4)
  • The Courtship (Brides, #5)
  • The Scottish Bride (Brides, #6)
  • Pendragon (Brides, #7)
  • The Sherbrooke Twins (Brides, #8)
  • Lyon's Gate (Brides, #9)
  • Wizard's Daughter (Brides, #10)
  • Prince of Ravenscar (Brides, #11)

News & Interviews