Start by marking “Antimatter (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #8)” as Want to Read:
Antimatter (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #8)

Antimatter

(Star Trek: Deep Space Nine #8)

The Bajoran shipyard is assigned to build an engine for a new starship, a project which could be instrumental in revitalizing the planet's war-ravished economy. As Commander Sisko awaits the arrival of a tanker containing the antimatter that will power the starship, a band of hijackers captures the extremely valuable cargo and escapes through the wormhole.
     When th
Mass Market Paperback, 276 pages
Published November 1994 by Pocket Books

To ask other readers questions about Antimatter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Antimatter

Daniel Devereux
Sep 01, 2015 rated it it was ok
I want to like this one, probably more than I should. While it isn't terrible it's not anything to write home about. To be honest the main portion of the plot, involving the antimatter, was the part of the book I skimmed. The negotiations on planet Eco and interactions back on DS9 were what I paid attention to. The little insect aliens who ruled Eco were interesting and I hope we see them again but I'm sure we wont.

I can't really say that this book stood out, maybe I enjoyed the book before it
Mar 23, 2012 rated it it was ok
I have to admit I'm pleasantly surprised that the book in some fashion portrays Bajor as this planet of people that had once been very advanced, particularly in terms of space-faring, that was damn near wiped out by 50 years of Cardassian occupation (per this book, although I know in other books the Occupation is referenced as lasting 75 years, and I seem to recall an early episode of the show in which the Occupation is referenced as having lasted a century).* And here we are, somewhere after th ...more
Ibis3
Jan 08, 2011 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: DS9 fans
Much better than the last trip to DS9, though the whole Bajor political thing never did grab me. At least this one took place mostly away from both Bajor and DS9 on an alien planet in the Gamma Quadrant. And non-humanoid aliens no less (though one can't think too much about how their society could have evolved without having a capacity for technological development--insect bodies can only take you so far, even if your inner hive acts as a computer interface). There were suspenseful moments and i ...more
Tina
Jul 03, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I wasn't a huge fan of this book. The characterization felt a bit weak, though this was written very early on during the series, so there wasn't too much to work with yet. The writing style felt awkward to me, with modifiers being over-used (i.e. "said the attractive Bajoran," meaning Major Kira). I have too many thoughts to write a coherent review, so here are some pros and cons, instead:

Pros:
-The Ecocids were an interesting race. I'd have loved to see Quark interact with them.
-A knock-down-dra
Jason Vargo
Apr 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
An enjoyable romp with characters we don't normally see teamed up (Sisko, Dax and Odo) which references multiple prior televised stories. The worst part of the novel may be Sisko's characterization; it's all over the place and his dialogue doesn't feel as though it can come from Avery Brooks in multiple situations. Still, his friendship with Dax, and their mission, make this fairly basic story a quick and engaging read.
Craig
Aug 28, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, star-trek
The chase was fun though it felt kind of weird the way he wrote Dax as she almost seemed in love with herself in this book. Obviously written before The Search changed the dynamics of the Gamma Quadrant so if you do read the books in order make sure you read this one first as the Dominion plays no role in this whatsoever.
Patricia
Jan 24, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: owned, sci-fi
Not at all a fan of Jadzia’s characterization, but Sisko, Kira, and Odo were okay. If it wasn’t a ds9 book, I’d give it a 2/5
David Sarkies
Apr 13, 2012 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: Die hard Deep Space Nine fans
Recommended to David by: A friend who liked Deep Space Nine
Shelves: sci-fi
One whopping great big bomb
13 April 2012

I'm probably getting to the point where I can't remember the Deep Space 9 novels that I have read, and I am not actually sure whether I read this and Proud Helios, but I will include it in the list of books that I have read (actually, no, I definitely did read them because I do remember the titles very clearly). I have read more DS9 books than any of the other Star Trek books out there, probably because I liked the premises behind the television series. I
Mikael Kuoppala
Jul 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
John Vornholt delivers a pleasant, well constructed and adventurous story about an undercover mission to reclaim a stolen shipment of antimatter, the extremely dangerous annihilatory substance that in the Trek universe serves as the power source for interstellar travel.

What's best in this novel is its way of utilizing the DS9's premise and possibilities during the early seasons. The story takes place during season two, and it captures the atmosphere of that setting perfectly. Here the frontier s
Daniel Kukwa
Nov 14, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: star-trek
It tries far too hard to be a hard-hitting season one-style story (ironic, considering it's supposedly set in early season two). However, when it's being an action-adventure-mystery story, complete with epic imagery and witty dialogue...it's a winner. Not exactly a classic, but definitely worthy of your time. I would have loved to have seen the Okana shipyards visualed in a TV episode -- it's one of those iconic mental pictures that the "Star Trek" novels can produce from time to time that reall ...more
Dianah
Jul 13, 2010 rated it did not like it
Shelves: star-trek, 100-books
With a weak story, amateurish characterizations, and adolescent imagery, this is by far the worst of the the first 8 Deep Space Nine books. I only remembered it from the mid-90s as the last DS9 book I bought solely for being a DS9 book. Re-reading it, I now see why. There are bugs, Dax trying to be alluring, Sisko escaping sexual assault, renegade Klingon cruisers...need I go on? It's awful. Just awful.
Ed C
Jun 21, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
As a fan of DS9 I suppose I'm a bit biast, as far as Star Trek goes, but I did like this book, that I remember. The sort of story that could well have been a part of the series, a definate for any other DS9 fans looking for original works.
André
Dec 06, 2007 marked it as to-read
Shelves: science-fiction
Can't remember if I ever read this book... perhaps not. Hence, no rating and no reading date. Judging from the excerpt on the backside, it's not a very exciting story.
Aaron
Dec 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: star-trek-ds9
My favorite book in the series so far. A very fun story from start to finish.
Allen Steele
Feb 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
was difficult to find, cause its out of print, however this was a fun book. read all DS9 books so far. this being #8..was my favorite..Fallen Heroes also a good book.
Angela
May 01, 2012 rated it liked it
A decent story, and a truly alien world with a hive mind species. Dax is a bit odd in this one, the writer assumes shes not used to being sexy! Apart from that a well written story and a good read.
Denise
Aug 22, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2013
Solid, but not one of the better ones. The characterizations seemed rather flat and sometimes just off.
Kei
Gemma
Aug 21, 2016
Joseph Sbisa
Oct 25, 2017
  • The Big Game (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #4)
  • Warchild
  • Proud Helios (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #9)
  • Valhalla (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #10)
  • Devil in the Sky
  • Laertian Gamble (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #12)
  • Betrayal (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #6)
  • The Siege (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #2)
  • Bloodletter (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #3)
  • Fallen Heroes (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine #5)
  • Emissary
  • The Search
  • Saratoga (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #18)
  • The Long Night (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #14)
  • The Tempest (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #19)
  • Trial by Error (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #21)
  • Objective: Bajor (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #15)
  • The Heart of the Warrior (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #17)
John Vornholt also writes as Caroline Goode.

Star Trek: Deep Space Nine (1 - 10 of 53 books)
  • Emissary
  • The Siege (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #2)
  • Bloodletter (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #3)
  • The Big Game (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #4)
  • Fallen Heroes (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine #5)
  • Betrayal (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #6)
  • Warchild
  • Proud Helios (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #9)
  • Valhalla (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #10)
  • Devil in the Sky