Start by marking “Animal Kingdom” as Want to Read:
Animal Kingdom

Animal Kingdom

WELCOME TO THE BOTTOM OF THE FOOD CHAIN!

Aside from being freakishly tall, Joe is just an ordinary divorcee taking his son, Danny, to the zoo for his weekend of custody. Everything is going great until a bizarre snake attack sends everybody in the zoo running for cover. It isn't long before Joe realizes that there is a lot more going on than a simple snake attack. And if th
Kindle Edition, first, 302 pages
Published November 30th 2011 by Grand Mal Press

To ask other readers questions about Animal Kingdom, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Animal Kingdom

Andrew Lennon
Apr 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Very, very good!
Really enjoyed this book. I listened to the audioversion of it. The narration was great.
The story itself was awesome, such a great concept. I love Iain's writing, it just seems to flow and makes for very enjoyable reading.
Can definitely recommend this to pretty much anyone. It draws you in pretty much straight away and the character development is done so well that you find yourself detesting some while rooting for others.
Check it out.
William Bitner Jr.
Just finished reading “Animal Kingdom” by Iain Rob Wright. Okay, so let me get this right…”Animal Kingdom” was written in 2011, James Patterson wrote “Zoo” in 2012, and who did it better and why didn’t we get to see this series on CBS (just sayin’) Iain did it so much better in my opinion. This book is nail biting, on the edge reading from the first sentence to the very last sentence. I will not look at the Zoo or my house full of animals with quite the same ever again..

Synopsis: WELCOME TO THE
Pamellia
Apr 22, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
Pretty darn good for a first published novel. Full review to follow on The Lazy Book Reviewer.com
Dreadlocksmile
Feb 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
First published back in November of 2011, ‘Animal Kingdom’ formed British author Iain Rob Wright’s second full length novel to see publication.

DLS Synopsis:
It was a day-out that Joe had been looking forward to for quite a while. And it was all because he hadn’t seen his son, Danny, for months. But that was just the way things were when you became divorced and were trying to piece your life back together. But today was going to be good. And their first stop that Saturday morning was to the local
Kaisersoze
Oct 16, 2013 rated it it was ok
As much as I respect anyone who has managed to make a living out of self-publishing - and Iain Rob Wright is one example - there are times I become frustrated with that produced by these authors. Animal Kingdom falls into this category.

This should have been the proverbial slam dunk. The concept is so simple, it's brilliant, and I cannot believe it hasn't been done to death at least a thousand times over. Animals suddenly start killing humans. That's it. End of premise.

Think about it. Imagine th
Grampy
Mar 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Awesome! You have GOT to read this book! For some unknown reason, apparently all the animals in the world suddenly began attacking humans with a clear intent to kill and consume them. A handful of "lucky"... or maybe NOT so lucky... survivors who happened to be at the zoo, of all places, when chaos broke out, found themselves presumably safe in the visitor's center. Or, at least safe for the few minutes it took the lions to figure out how to break glass. Scrambling for safety higher in the facil ...more
Jan 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Wow!!!! This book is a not stop adrenalin pumping thrill ride of horror and suspense. Imagine if you will every animal in the entire world turning on humans, not just the big bad animals but the cute and fluffy ones as well. Then to make matters worse what if you are stuck with a group of people in a zoo!!!!
All Joe wants to do is protect his son and his new found friends from danger but there is not only madness all around him from the animals but some of the people he is hold up with are border
Sylv.net Sylvia Kerslake PA
Feb 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Just when I thought Iain Rob Wright's books couldn't get any better.

I settled down to read Animal Kingdom 3 days ago and finished it last night. I couldn't put it down, every turn something happened. Animal Kingdom: An Apocalyptic Novel had everything, a hero, a damsel in distress and a really horrible guy you just love to hate.

Animals taking over the world? Never, it couldn't happen! Well it did and the animals in the Zoo ruled it.

Thoroughly enjoyed it except for just one thing......

When I rea
Frank Errington
Apr 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
4 of 5 Stars

Iain Rob Wright is a young writer, from the UK, who's making a name for himself in the Horror and Thriller genres. And Animal Kingdom, from late 2011, is a fine example of taking an original idea and running with it.

For reasons unknown, a day at the zoo turns deadly when the animals unite to start killing humankind. There are plenty of encounters between the survivors, trapped in the zoo's administration building, and the creatures that once made up the zoos exhibits.

Given time, thos
M Werber
Apr 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
Another in the long line of apocalypse novels, but this one has many good points (at least it's not about zombies). The basic plot is simple. The animals have achieved awareness. They now work together to kill off all the people in the world. While the liberals in the audience might cheer and think "about time", Mr Wright also mentions that those countries without an adequate military were the first ones to fall.
The book opens in a zoo. Without warning, a snake crushes its handler. Then the lion
Bill
Dec 01, 2012 rated it liked it
I listened to this one on audio a while back and evidently forgot to leave a review. I enjoyed this one from Iain Rob Wright. It was very quick, but a little predictable. There were some plot holes, although minor, and I thought the story could have jumped the walls of the zoo for a more dynamic story. The narration was good and the pacing of the audio fit the story well. 2.5+ Stars.
Terri
Apr 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Joe takes his son Danny to the zoo, never expecting that today is they day all the animals in the world revolt and attack the humans. A story of trying to survive the inexplicable. It kept me turning pages and highly engaged
thebonebreaker
Feb 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
When you subscribe to this author's website, (iainrobwright.com) he, in turn, gives you 5! (I repeat, five!) Free books!

After I downloaded my free books, and perused the summaries of each, I decided on this one.
So, on with the review. . .

Iain Rob Wright has a tagline - "Fear on Every Page" - now, I am not sure if that is on all of his books or not, but it fits well with this book!

Wright wastes absolutely no time , jumping right into the meat of the story, and continues the thrills with rapid-fir
Su Ann
Oct 19, 2015 added it
I just finished reading Animal Kingdom by Iain Rob Wright. I am such a huge animal lover! It is frightening to imagine this ever happening. Especially the spiders! Animals fighting back. Bent on rearranging the natural order of things and sending mankind into extinction. Animal Kingdom is George Orwell's Animal Farm on steroids. I find Mr. Wright's writing to be on par right alongside the early Stephen King. Mr. King's writing has changed a lot since his accident. In my opinion, it's just not as ...more
Ami
Apr 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Disclaimer: I received this book as a gift from Mr Wright but this in no way affects my following review. If you would like the same gift just go to his website, www.iainrobwright.com. He actually sent 4 books, a short story and the first three chapters of another book. All I had to do was give my email address. I definitely got the best deal in that transaction and it's yours for the asking.

This is the most unusual apocalyptic novel I have ever read and I pray that the world is over run with Z
Claire Fun
This was a quick read - 2 hours - but I did spend most of it wondering if I should carry on. It was ridiculous. I liked the synopsis and the general idea - the animal apocalypse, basically, with humans suddenly becoming the bottom of the for chain - and following the misadventures of a group of people who happened to be visiting a zoo the day it happened. The characters were incomplete cliches - violent homophobic tattooed Scotsman, uppity smug rich businessman, helpless yet beautiful tortured y ...more
Craig Saunders
Jan 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Here's a minor spoiler...there's some chomping and clawing and killing and stuff in Wright's Animal Kingdom. It's gruesome and visceral, full of violent death, but it's more than just a chomp-fest. It's really well written, at a cracking pace. It's a blast, too. A really easy read, and one I'd happily recommend. A great way to pass an afternoon.

Five stars for an enjoyable animal chomp 'em up.

Craig Saunders, author of Rain
Sunshine✰✰✰
When the Animal Kingdom turns on you, It's not always the 4-legged kind you need to watch out for.
Pam K.
Oct 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Animal Kingdom is sort of like James Patterson's Zoo. Only this book concentrates a bit more on the human aspect of the situation..
Joe takes his son to the zoo for the day. While watching a snake exhibition, something goes wrong. The snake kills it's handler right in front of them. Joe tries to help, then realizes something is going on within the entire zoo.
They get safely inside a building with a few other survivors. From the windows everyone can see all sorts of animals attacking humans. The a
Joanne
Nov 23, 2016 rated it it was ok
The idea that animals gang up and attack humans is ok, but there really is no story because humans wouldn't have a chance, would we? There's a lot more of them than there are of us.

But this is a story about animals ganging up and attacking humans...so...the action starts right off the bat and goes throughout the entire book with few interruptions. Most of the characters are very unlikeable. One guy is intent on being in charge even though the world is ending, so what's the point, but he just kee
Aug 09, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Disappointing

This book has no originality. The plot has been done over and over again. The characters are stereotypes with little to make them stand out. As if that's not bad enough, the middle of the book is plodding and repetitive. The only saving grace is that the author has a decent grasp of grammar and punctuation.
Christine Bishop
Nov 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What happens when man is not top of the food chain anymore?

Animal Kingdom is a horror novel about what happens when animals turn on humans. Imagine being at a zoo when this happens. Joe and his son Danny are visiting the local zoo when the animals start acting strangely. Now it’s survival of the fittest and hopefully Joe and Danny can survive.
Lee Willie
Sep 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyable and fast paced horror

I found this book by chance and glad I did. Very fast paced horror novel with some good villains, human and non human. Give it a try, and hopefully like me, you'll be glad you did
Bob Clarkson
CAUTION!!! MULTIPLE "MAJOR" SPOILERS. Don't read this review if you haven't read the book. MAJOR SPOILERS.

I thought the concept of a different kind of apocalypse exciting - NO Zombies! Unfortunately, the premise never quite materialized in "Animal Kingdom".

So what influenced my 2 star rating?

The action started quickly, rose rapidly ..... and then collapsed and became a social commentary on the interactions between a regular guy (with son); a milquetoast, academic zoo employee; a crazy woman who
carterjensy
Good idea

Liked the idea animals turning on humans,couldn’t connect to the characters though for some reason.also why does everyone sound American the phrases they used felt tv cliche.
Chris Bullock
Excellent. It kept me on the edge of my seat. The incredible tension was maintained throughout, and the characters were fully believable. We have a menagerie of animals: dogs, cats, chickens, ducks, geese, a turkey, goats and sheep, so lets just hope that this novel doesn't come true.
Diana
Oct 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Another good Wright horror. I'm an animal lover so this one was especially charming to me. Being on a beautiful outing with your child at the zoo when all hell breaks loose? Terrifying to think about.
But Iain delivers again and again with chills and thrills!
stephanie
Aug 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent!

I love that I can read a page turning book from beginning to end without having to order part two. Mr. Wright you never disappoint me with your twists and turns. I couldn't put it down. Thank you!!!
Liz
Oct 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another excellent read

Thoroughly enjoyed this fairly short book, I read it very quickly anyway, a tiny part of me felt sorry for the animals especially the gorilla but I probably wouldn’t if it really happened !
Ann Keeran
May 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A day at the zoo as only Iain Rob Wright can portray it. Ferrets to llamas to a silver back gorilla are some of the antagonists in this thriller. Not written for sissies!
  • Desolation
  • Muerte Con Carne
  • Doctor Who Encyclopedia
  • Undead Winter
  • RIZEN: Tales of the Zombie Apocalypse
  • The Demon You Know (Demon-Hunting Soccer Mom #4.5)
  • Foreverland is Dead (Foreverland, #2)
  • The Novellas
  • Z-Burbia (Z-Burbia, #1)
  • Sycamore (Sycamore, #1)
  • Scattered (The Nevermore Trilogy, #3.5)
  • Outpost
  • Saving Mrs. Claus (An Apocalyptic Fairytale)
  • Solstice
Iain Rob Wright is one of the UK's most successful horror and suspense writers, with novels including the critically acclaimed, THE FINAL WINTER; the disturbing bestseller, ASBO; and the wicked screamfest, THE HOUSEMATES.

His work is currently being adapted for graphic novels, audio books, and foreign audiences. He is an active member of the Horror Writer Association and a massive animal lover.

Chec
“The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated.” - Mohandas Gandhi” 1 likes