Start by marking “Devil Said Bang (Sandman Slim, #4)” as Want to Read:
Devil Said Bang (Sandman Slim, #4)

Devil Said Bang (Sandman Slim #4)

4.03  ·  Rating details ·  9,808 Ratings  ·  398 Reviews
Richard Kadrey’s Sandman Slim—aka James Stark—is, quite simply, one of the most outrageous uber-anti-heroes ever to kick serious butt on this or any other world or dimension.

In his previous three adventures—Sandman Slim, Kill the Dead, and Aloha from Hell—Stark has fled Hell for California, taken on angels, demons, outlaw bikers, zombies, covert government operatives, and
Published August 28th 2012 by Harper Voyager (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Devil Said Bang, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Devil Said Bang

✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)
Actual rating: 4.586 stars. More or less.

This is one Super Crappy Non Review (SCNR™). So read at your own risk and stuff. And don’t say I didn't warn you.

I promise not to fangirl too much about my boyfriend Jimmy Stark in this SCNR™. Cross my black, withered heart and all that crap.

Question : How can you not fall head over pincers for a guy who says stuff like:

"I am bacon, hear me roar."

And also stuff like:

“So what’s this all about? You and your crew want a raise? How about two weeks’ va
Otherwyrld
Jul 14, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, paranormal
Steve
This one started really slow, but ended...

... (dare I say it?)...

...with a bang!

Crystal
Jun 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
I'm assuming you've read up to the third book. If you haven't, turn back now. Spoilers ahead!

And here I am again, entirely unsure of how I feel about this book because I'm really not sure what the hell is even going on anymore in a not-so-awesome way. Let me first just say that I'm still enjoying the hell out of this series - the things I don't like about this book are not enough to make me quit Sandman Slim or give up hope on Richard Kadrey - but this series, I think, is in a period where I thi
AH
“Welcome to Hell. It’s just like high school but with more boredom and entrails.”
I must confess, I have not read all the books in this series. I’ve read Sandman Slim and enjoyed it immensely, but I missed books 2 and 3. Having said that, I honestly feel that I really didn’t feel lost when I read Devil Said Bang. The author did an excellent job of recapping prior events. I will go back and read Kill the Dead and Aloha from Hell soon, just to fill in the details.

I loved Devil Said Bang and here’s
Jason
Aug 08, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-books, read-2012
4 Stars

I am giving this book 4 stars even though I really enjoy Sandman Slim at the 5 star level. This book by its very nature of taking place after Aloha from Hell(book 3) which ended many of the main story lines is at a disadvantage. It does bring to conclusion the few remaining open ends and really brings Sandman Slim back to his center but offers up little extra.

This is a fun read that takes place first in Hell and then back on the streets of LA. Without spoilers James Stark spends much of t
Kaustubh Dudhane
May 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
"Don’t fear God
Don’t worry about death
What is good is easy to get, and
What is terrible is easy to endure"

James Stark is turning into my favorite monster hero. This book is so good that it corrupts your professional mindset and makes you late on honest reviews requested by the budding authors. I feel no need to comment on the plot and characters. They are extremely crazy and awesome. The plot is mind blowing.

Stark becomes Lucifer and is stuck in Hell. (yeah! Again!) Additionally, the Hellions
Arun Divakar
Aug 08, 2016 rated it it was ok
There is a sort of interest-boredom relationship that I have formed with Richard Kadrey’s character James Stark. The first book – Sandman Slim was a real roller coaster and Stark proved to be an amazing find breaking away from most cookie cutter characters in urban fantasy. However, the subsequent parts were only mildly interesting what with a war between heaven and hell, Lucifer’s woes, God’s nervous breakdown etc. Kadrey has adopted a very predictable approach in his novels which is very simil ...more
Fangs for the Fantasy
Sep 08, 2012 rated it did not like it
When we last left Sandman Slim he had been tricked by Samel into becoming the next Lucifer and his angel half had ditched him in hell. This book opens with Stark learning how to be Lucifer and to avoid being killed. The hellions are not impressed to have a human in the top spot and seek to overload him with bureaucracy because hell needs to be rebuilt. He taken his ancestor wild Bill on as sort of an adviser but longs to be back in LA.

I am pretty sure that this is going to be the last book in th
Brainycat
Brainycat's 5 "B"s:
boobs: 1
blood: 4
bombs: 3
bondage: 0
blasphemy: 4

It's been a long time since I read #3 in the series. Unlike some of the other reviewers, I didn't feel like it did a good job of recapping the supporting cast, and I felt lost through a lot of the book. Perhaps related, I had difficulty getting a clean translation from amazon's file (I didn't check the format) to epub.

Stark hasn't changed much; this story picks up two or three months after #3 ends. And that's one of the reasons I l
SciFi and Fantasy...: "Mason's lighter" in Sandman Slim series 1 26 Jan 30, 2015 08:25AM
  • The Naming of the Beasts (Felix Castor, #5)
  • City of Mirrors (Diana Poole #1)
  • Cursed (Alex Verus, #2)
  • Monster Hunter Legion (Monster Hunter International, #4)
  • Dead Streets (Matt Richter #2)
  • For Heaven's Eyes Only (Secret Histories, #5)
  • Dead Mann Running (Hessius Mann, #2)
  • Pennies for the Ferryman (Dead Eye #1)
  • The Man in the Long Black Coat (Dale Bruyer #1)
  • Every Last Drop (Joe Pitt, #4)
  • Scary Dead Things (The Tome of Bill, #2)
  • The Neon Court (Matthew Swift, #3)
  • The Killing Floor Blues (Daniel Faust, #5)
  • Broken Homes (Peter Grant, #4)
  • Buckingham Palace Blues (Inspector Carlyle #3)
Richard Kadrey is a writer and freelance photographer living in San Francisco, best known for his Sandman Slim novels. His newest novels are The Everything Box, released April 19, 2016 and The Perdition Score (Sandman Slim, #8), released on June 28, 2016.
More about Richard Kadrey...

Sandman Slim (10 books)
  • Sandman Slim (Sandman Slim, #1)
  • Kill the Dead (Sandman Slim, #2)
  • Aloha from Hell (Sandman Slim, #3)
  • Kill City Blues (Sandman Slim, #5)
  • The Getaway God (Sandman Slim, #6)
  • Killing Pretty (Sandman Slim, #7)
  • The Perdition Score (Sandman Slim, #8)
  • The Kill Society (Sandman Slim, #9)
  • Hollywood Dead (Sandman Slim #10)
“Hell didn't make me a monster. It just confirmed all my worst fears about myself.” 17 likes
“If you ever need to confirm that a girl is worth coming back from Hell for, show her your monster arm and see what she says.” 13 likes