Start by marking “The Mexican Slow Cooker: Recipes for Mole, Enchiladas, Carnitas, Chile Verde Pork, and More Favorites” as Want to Read:

A collection of 55 fix it and forget it recipes for Mexican favorites from an award-winning Mexican cooking authority, in a stylish, engaging package.

When acclaimed chef and cookbook author Deborah Schneider discovered that using her trusty slow cooker to make authentic Mexican recipes actually enhanced their flavor while dramatically reducing active cooking time, it was
Published July 31st 2012 by Ten Speed Press (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Mexican Slow Cooker, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mexican Slow Cooker

Naomi
Sep 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Read my full review @ http://bit.ly/RxM8a1

My opinion: As an absolute lover of Mexican cooking, I have made several recipes from this cookbook and absolutely love this book. I will be purchasing this cookbook.

The recipes are fresh and, for the most part, restaurant quality. Furthermore, they are laid out with very simple, easy to follow steps. However, there is much more prep time in these recipes than I have seen with other slow cooker cookbooks.

I do have to disagree with the Goodre
Christiana
Feb 26, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: cook-books
This book is above my skill level by a lot. Most of these recipes want you to do some other type of heating before slow cooking (baking, searing, etc.). Ain't nobody got time for that! Also, I live in a culturally diverse neighborhood, but I have no idea where my closest calf's foot or tripe dealer is (and I'm still deciding whether that's something I'm brave enough for). I'm ashamed I'm not enough of a Mexican food purist for this book, but not enough to take on more than I know I can handle.
Jeanne
Dec 21, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lots of authentic-sounding, yummy recipes for all kinds of Mexican foods that can be made in the slow cooker. Plenty of salsas, stews (guisados) and meats that can be used in tacos, enchiladas, tamales and more. There are also recipes for beans and rice and a great primer on using masa to make tamales and tortillas.
Sara
Feb 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The only thing better than crockpots is Mexican food... hey, wait! No need to make that decision here!
And the vast majority of the recipes look delicious.
T
While somewhat lacking in pictures and some of the recipes calling for a lot of ingredients, I still found quite a few recipes that I bookmarked to attempt. A lot of the recipes call for epazote a spice which, I am sad to say, I do not currently have in my spice arsenal (and my arsenal is quite large). Guess this means a trip to the mercado is imperative!
Kerry
May 17, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: food-and-drink
Great recipes if you can find the ingredients, but they are too esoteric for my part of the world. Some superfluous information--this is probably not the first cookbook that a person invested in cooking will pick up, so talking about what kind of cutting board to buy feels a little like padding.
Stephanie (Reading is Better With Cupcakes)
Do you love Mexican food? Do you love using the slow cooker? I know I do. In fact, the slow cooker is almost the only cooking tool I know how to use. It is definitely my tool of choice and I love love love Mexican food. These are the reasons that when I saw this book as an option on Blogging for Books that I chose it. It would have been crazy for me not to.

I guess you are probably wondering if it ended up being a good choice or not. I have to say that I think it was. The recipes do r
Rachel
Jan 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
I absolutely love Mexican cuisine! Spicy, hot, wonderful goodness for my taste buds. But, I love my Crock-Pot even more! Combine the two and you have an incredible cookbook that not only delivers delicious recipes, but takes a load of time off of prep work as well.

The contents of this cookbook include Soups, Mains, Street Food Favorites, Sides and Desserts. Deborah Schneider gives us a wonderful introduction with tips for using a slow cooker, using chilies and kitchen basics. I have
Molly
Nov 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
The Mexican Slow Cooker is a small cookbook dedicated to cooking Mexican dishes in a slow cooker. This is not your typical slow cooker cookbook that involves throwing ingredients into the slow cooker and leaving them for hours. These are pretty intensive recipes that involve lots of precooking before using the slow cooker, so this book isn't for a novice cook. There are a lot of nice, good looking pictures included but not every recipe has one. Schneider begins the book with lots of useful tips ...more
Dec 01, 2015 rated it liked it
I was highly intrigued by this book as I love to use my crock pot. This book left me wanting a little more. I found it's steps clearly explained but would have liked them broken down a little more but it didn't bother me as much as it does in other book books because everything pretty much goes in the same pot in slow cooker cookbook! My number one complaint and the thing that didn't send me to the store to buy ingredients was lack of pictures. This book would have been so much more inspiring wi ...more
Shannon Andrews
Apr 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
I once ate in a Mexican restaurant and I just can't belie that every meal served to us was so good that I a craving for its dishes from time to time. SO just to make it accessible instead of driving for hours to go to the nearest hospital I got this book and it is so worth it, The recipes are so good teh step by step instructions are well written and provided and I was able to prepare my own Mexican dish which my family love as this is a new variety for them. Great thanks to this book.
Kristine
Aug 09, 2013 rated it liked it
Beautiful book with mouth watering pictures. I love the idea of an entire book of Mexican slow cooker recipes. That said, the recipes seemed unnecessarily time consuming for slow cooker recipes, and most recipes seemed to have at least one ingredient that was hard to find. It's my opinion that you can make amazing mexican slow cooker meals without as much labor or obscure ingredients. A fun read though, and there are two or three recipes I'll keep for future use.
Leanda
Feb 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed the recipes I made from this book including the two salsas and the lentil soup. The roasted salsa recipe is so good and easy that I've made it five times already and will try to keep some on hand always. Salsa forever!
lisa
Sep 07, 2012 rated it did not like it
Found this to be misleading, as some recipes required a lot of pre-cooking before putting it in the slow cooker, and some recipes didn't use the slow cooker at all. There was not recipe in this book I was interested in.
Riegs
Jul 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mexico, cookbook
For higher-level cooks. Looks so delicious, but is so difficult to make. Most of the recipes require pre-cooking other stuff, which kind of defeats the idiot-proofness of a slow cooker. Maybe one day...
Sarrah
Jun 28, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: cookbook
This is probably excellent for people who do more authentic Mexican cooking or have better grocery stores available, but it just won't work for me.
Terry
Nov 14, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: from-library
Some of the recipes look intriguing but many had ingredients that I can not find near my home.
Stephen Simpson
Not as many unique recipes as I'd like, with the contents a little "padded out" with multiple variations on a theme. The recipes are solid, but not spectacular.
Trish
Aug 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book has some yummy recipes. I wish there were more pictures.
Meghan
Jan 16, 2013 rated it it was ok
I'm lazy and these recipes were too time intensive for what I want to do in the slow cooker.
Marci
Apr 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
Loved this cookbook. Would've given it 5 stars if it had a few more of my favorites in it.
Linda
Sep 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
These recipes are too Mexican for me. For someone who wants true Mexican food it will probably be wonderful
Michelle
Oct 25, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: cooking
Well, it was interesting enough to read, but way too meaty for me. Just the fact that it includes the ingredients "tripe" and "calf's foot" rates it a 3 star only. Plus, NO NUTRITIONAL INFO. Sigh.
Jan 28, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: adult, cookbooks
I was really excited about this but most of the recipes are too difficult or involved.
Heydi Smith
Jan 22, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: adult-non-fic
A fantastic slow cooker cookbook. The recipe I most enjoyed was the torta de tamal. So great!

While I wish this book had more recipes, I love the ones that were chosen.

Very good cookbook.
Nicole
Dec 02, 2015 rated it liked it
Rebecca
Sep 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Finally slow cooker recipes that have you cook the food and not just warm it up. Can you imagine cooking beans in the pot instead of just warning up canned beans!
Bnhgal
Dec 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reading-again
I had to buy this book. I read it and use it again and again. I am learning so much about chiles. This book has got me thinking about purchasing an additional slow cooker. xoxo
Patricia Slattery
Jun 06, 2017 rated it it was ok
It seems to be very authentic Mexican food which is awesome! But it requires a lot of ingredients, and a lot ingredients you can't get at a basic grocery store. Very yummy looking stuff though, just wanted more simple ingredients with no skill level.

• The New Indian Slow Cooker: Recipes for Curries, Dals, Chutneys, Masalas, Biryani, and More
  • The Tucci Cookbook
  • The Paleo Slow Cooker: Healthy, Gluten-free Meals the Easy Way
  • My Pizza: The Easy No-Knead Way to Make Spectacular Pizza at Home
  • The Crockin' Girls Slow Cookin' Companion: Yummy Recipes from Family, Friends, and Our Crockin' Community
  • The Chinese Takeout Cookbook: Quick and Easy Dishes to Prepare at Home
  • Big Bad Breakfast: The Most Important Book of the Day
  • French Country Cooking: Meals and Moments from a Village in the Vineyards
  • The Home Cook: Recipes to Know by Heart: A Cookbook
  • 'wichcraft: Craft a Sandwich into a Meal--And a Meal into a Sandwich
  • Now Eat This! Italian: Favorite Dishes from the Real Mamas of Italy--All Under 350 Calories
  • Bobby Flay's Barbecue Addiction
  • Dining In: Highly Cookable Recipes
  • More Make It Fast, Cook It Slow: 200 Brand-New, Budget-Friendly, Slow-Cooker Recipes
  • One-Hour Cheese: Ricotta, Mozzarella, Chèvre, Paneer--Even Burrata. Fresh and Simple Cheeses You Can Make in an Hour or Less!
  • Serve Yourself: Nightly Adventures in Cooking for One