Start by marking “Nazareth Child (Del Shannon, #1)” as Want to Read:
Nazareth Child (Del Shannon, #1)

Nazareth Child (Del Shannon #1)

3.44  ·  Rating details ·  292 Ratings  ·  60 Reviews
A smart and determined field operative in Tucson, Del Shannon has earned a reputation for being nearly invincible in tracking down missing persons. Ironically, the only person Del has not been able to locate is the mother she's never known. Deep in the Appalachian hills of Kentucky, the Feds are investigating Nazareth Church, an isolated religious compound led by faith hea ...more
Published September 1st 2011 by Llewellyn Worldwide, LTD.

To ask other readers questions about Nazareth Child, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nazareth Child

James Thane
Dec 30, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-fiction
Del Shannon is a field operative for a P.I. firm in Tucson, Arizona, and her specialty is tracking missing persons. But as good as she might be at digging out the details of other peoples' lives, there's a lot she doesn't know about her own. She has never known her mother. She has no idea if the woman is even still alive and if so, where she might be. Her father, who drinks a great deal, keeps her at arm's length and refuses to tell her much about her past.

It turns out that federal agencies like
Jane Stewart
I wanted more depth to the characters, especially bad guys and victims. Things were not special or different enough.

I really liked Del. She was a private investigator who always got her target. She was tough and smart. The first few chapters were excellent, setting up the mystery, showing how Del got her first PI job, her interaction with her father, and the mystery about her mother. The end where Del shows her stuff in the final conflict was good.

But the middle and most of the book felt ordinar
Linda Strong
Jan 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2015
I chose to read this book because a lot of it takes place in Arizona. Del Shannon is a Missing Persons Finder (my words) who has had great success in finding those who are lost .. either by chance or by choice. Her only failure is her own mother. Del has been raised by her controlling, mean, bitter father who will not tell her anything about her mother.

Del is recruited by the FBI to help infiltrate a religious cult in Kentucky led by faith healer Silas Rule ... just so happens that her father wa
Holly West
Jan 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As soon as I learned the plot of NAZARETH CHILD, I knew I wanted to read it, and it definitely did not disappoint. Del Shannon is an Arizona field operative who tracks down missing persons. She's enlisted by the Feds to help investigate Nazareth Church, an isolated religious compound in the Appalachian hills of Kentucky led by faith healer Silas Rule. But Del, whose father owns an abandoned house in Nazareth Church, is motivated by something far deeper--she's searching for the mother she's never ...more
Nancy Silverman
Jul 13, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: persons interested in mystery and suspense
Love this book. I couldn't put it down. A very fast paced novel about a young female investigator in Tucson, Arizona who when asked to join in an investigation of a religious cult in Nazareth Church, Kentucky can't imagine why, until she learns that she was born there. The mystery of her true identity and attraction to a fellow uncover agent and descriptions of the group's evil faith healer and his misdirected flock propel this story forward with a page-turning fever that will keep the reader in ...more
Kris Neri
Nov 10, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I recently read another nonfiction book about Jonestown and the late Jim Jones, and while reading NAZARETH CHILD, I was struck by the strength of the portrait of the charismatic evangelist in this mystery. This is the story of Del Shannon, who is recruited by the FBI to go undercover within the evangelist's cultish comunity, but whose personal quest is to find the mother who has been missing for most of her life, whom she was told abandoned her. Recommended.
Fred
May 21, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Darrel James seems to believe that coarse language, much beyond what is heard on the streets and aboard Navy ships, is needed to authenticate his characters. It gets annoying and worn very quickly. What could be a good book becomes trashy and insulting to the reader.
Jill Merrall
I chose this book as it was suggested through Amazon.com (Kindle).
I decided to purchase it because all of the reviews (14 or 15) gave it 5 stars, some saying that it was the best book they'd read in a long time.
It was alright...just average. Quick, easy read.
Kathleen
Jul 18, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Formulaic and not very interesting. The challenge in this genre is to distinguish the crime and the gumshoe and make me care about them...this doesn't. First and last of this "series" for me.
Geraldine
May 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Boy, oh, boy, what a commentary on cult religion! This was a good read.
Julie
I didn't finish this one. It's just too dark for me. The writing was engaging, the subject matter was just going to be more than I can handle.
Mark
Oct 13, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As a trained investigator, Del Shannon tracked down one missing person after another, yet one proved more elusive than most, her mother. Having been taken from her Kentucky home as toddler by her father, Del
had never been able to put together enough information to discover her missing past, but with the death of her reclusive and alcoholic parent she has been given a chance to find out her heritage.
Turns out that the FBI are investigating the flamboyant cult leader Silas Rule back in Del’s home
Marti
May 13, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
In some ways this book was rather cliched. There was the very flawed, probably actually evil, charismatic leader of a sequestered Christian compound and of course, his sheep like followers. It was sort of David Koresh and the Branch Davidians fictionalized. It was, however, a good page-turner. The main characters, besides Silas Rule, the zealot, were Frank Falconet, a 30 something FBI agent and Del Shannon, a 29 year old private investigator. They wind up becoming a team to investigate Silas and ...more
Joyce Lagow
Del Shannon is a young, attractive, troubled (what else is new) private investigator in Arizona who specializes in finding deadbeats and bail jumpers and bringing them back to civil justice. She has never known her mother; her father is a drunken, grumpy man with whom she fights continuously. She teams up with Frank Falconet, an undercover agent for ATFE on loan to the FBI and infiltrate a secretive cult in Kentucky, searching for an FBI agent who has disappeared.

This is neither a good nor a bad
Jodi
Aug 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
4.5 Stars. This book is nominated for an Anthony Award for best first novel. I really enjoyed the book. Del Shannon is a young woman who lives with her alcoholic father. She walks into a PI/bail bond business in Arizona wanting a job. She's spent most of her life up to this point trying to find her mother. She gets hired and becomes quite skilled at the job. In walks the FBI/ATF, wanting her to go to Nazareth Church, Kentucky, where her father owns property. Nazareth Church is a cult like religi ...more
Jamie
May 12, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Totally out of the realm of stuff I usually read. The story had me hooked and I had a hard time putting the book down to go to sleep at night, but there are definitely things I didn't enjoy, like the horrible language. It seemed so...not necessary. I thought the characters were well developed and believable, I found myself HATING that evil, no-good Silas Rule, as I know I was supposed to. Like it, but I don't think this book has set me on a mission to read more mysteries and I don't think I'll e ...more
JAnet
Jul 30, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I would like to have given this a 3 but I don't like when an author mixes suspense novel with cheesy romance novel.The suspense part was Ok, the romance parts not so much....

would also like to add that I had trouble with the main character's name..Del Shannon....Del Shannon was a rock 'N roll singer and I had a hard time picturing anyone but a guy.Maybe with today's internet author's should always google their characters names just to make sure they are not using one that is famous.
Betty McMahon
May 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When you sit down to read this book, leave enough time to finish it because you won't want to put it down. Del Shannon is a female field operative in Tucson, who tracks down missing persons. This book takes her to Nazareth Church, an isolated religious compound in Kentucky where she tries to track down her own mother. Characters are well developed (maybe not likable, but well-developed); plot also well-developed and nicely paced. I look forward to more Del Shannon stories.

Peg
Jul 27, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was another Kindle Daily Deal and I really like the protagonist, Dee Shannon. A tough cop sent on assignment with and FBI agent to find out what happened to another agent they sent to infiltrate a cult town. Not a terribly original concept with fanatical charismatic faith healer with something to hide. Still a good story as Dell also looks for the mother who she thinks abandoned her and her father when she was a small child. Definitely kept me turning pages.
Diane Vallere
Aug 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries, mystery
After hearing Darrell James read a passage from this book, I knew his character, Del Shannon, was someone I wanted to read about. NAZARETH CHILD lived up to my expectations. It was an easy read because I liked where the characters started out and wanted to see how they'd grow over the story. I read thrillers occasionally, not every day, but I'll definitely pick up the next in the series to see what's next for Del Shannon.
Cindy
Feb 17, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was able to go to Darrell James book talk/signing last week. It was wonderful to meet him and hear him talk about the process of his writing.
I enjoyed reading his first novel. I admire the way he developed his characters in Nazareth Child. This is differentially an adult themed novel.
Thanks to Darrell for a wonderful thought provoking novel. Can't wait for the next one.
Yolanda
Sep 08, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Del Shannon is a strong, stubborn, attractive private investigator. She is asked to work with the FBI and ATFE (explosives) because of her personal connection in rural KY. A connection she did not know anything about. There is plenty of action to keep you up at night reading. It was an enjoyable read and recommend for mystery lovers to give it a try.
Jim
Jan 02, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Goodreads gift. The story plot and characters were intriguing and interesting. This had the potential to be a great book, but was only good. The story was choppily told, missing key transition pieces to make it smooth. Its bittersweet ending was a fit way to end this story. I look forward to reading more of James' work, hoping that with practice his "goods" become "greats."
Sheila Beaumont
A terrific debut thriller, set mostly in the Kentucky Appalachians. Darrell James has given us a gutsy, smart protagonist in private investigator Del Shannon, vividly drawn, believable supporting characters, and an excellent villain in the cult leader Silas Rule. I'll be eagerly watching for further adventures of Del Shannon.
David Beck
Not very good, the author really needs to understand some of the terminology of firearms. Completely stupid descriptions of AR-14s (AR15 it should be) and the lead federal agent carrying a revolver. 10 minutes of research could have fixed this, plus a lot of incorrect words.
L
Aug 18, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Picture your stereotypical religious cult, led by a cold-blooded, greedy, sex-crazed, psycho-nut-job. Enter Del, our heroine, and her temporary FBI partner. Put it all in the mountains--isolated, wooded. You can imagine how it will play out. That's ok, though, because it's well done--a good read.
Lori
Oct 02, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful debut, with tight, spare prose. Del Shannon is no runaway but rather a street-smart field operative, trying to investigate a religious compound and locate her long-lost mother. Del is a force to be reckoned with.
Alan Orloff
Jul 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great first novel (and first in a promising series) from short-story wizard Darrell James. It's got a kick-butt heroine and a charismatic cult leader--a great combination. Can't wait for the next Del Shannon book!
Pmcdnld2
A crazy cult and a power hungry minister leading the church and the town. The FBI starts investigating with the help of a PI searching for her mom in the town. I still can't figure how anyone listens to these so-called "messengers from God!"
Marilyn Clement
Jan 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic Debut Thriller for Darrell James. I hope this book is the first in a long series of books retaining the characters in new adventures. I hope to read another Dell Shannon novel. Everything is in place to begin a great series of novels.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Please Add 4 25 May 19, 2012 11:46PM
  • Pocket-47 (Nicholas Colt, #2)
  • On the Ropes (The Duffy Dombrowski Mysteries, #1)
  • An Easy Thing (Héctor Belascoarán Shayne, #2)
  • Pane of Death (A Glassblowing Mystery, #2)
  • The Concert Killer
  • My Father Like a River
  • Bad Thoughts (Bill Shannon, #1)
  • The Phoenix Apostles (A Seneca Hunt Mystery #1)
  • Goodey's Last Stand (Joe Goodey Mysteries #1)
  • Buyer, Beware (Style & Error Mystery, #2)
  • Dial H for Hitchcock (A Cece Caruso Mystery, #5)
  • American Crow (The Missing Series)
  • Cypress Grove (Turner, #1)
  • Three's a Crowd (Patrick Shea Mystery, #1)
  • Cold in the Earth (DI Marjory Fleming #1)
  • The Big Bend (Terry Rankin, #1)
  • Edited for Death (Amy Hobbes #1)
  • City of Dragons
Darrell James is a crime-fiction writer who splits his time between Pasadena, CA and Tucson, AZ. His short stories have appeared in numerous mystery magazines such as Hardboiled, Futures Mysterious Anthologies magazine and many others. His stories also appear in book anthologies: LAndmarked For Murder, Politics Noir and Deadly Ink 2007, Scoundrels, and Vengeance edited by Lee Child.
His first nove
More about Darrell James...

Del Shannon (3 books)
  • Sonora Crossing (Del Shannon, #2)
  • Purgatory Key (Del Shannon, #3)