Start by marking “Rocket Writes a Story” as Want to Read:
Rocket Writes a Story

Rocket Writes a Story

(Rocket and the Little Yellow Bird)

The #1 New York Times Bestseller

This irresistible sequel to the New York Times bestselling How Rocket Learned to Read is "a perfect choice to inspire new readers and writers," according to a starred review from Kirkus Reviews.

Rocket loves books and he wants to make his own, but he can't think of a story. Encouraged by the little yellow bird to look closely at the world aro
Published July 24th 2012 by Schwartz & Wade

To ask other readers questions about Rocket Writes a Story, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rocket Writes a Story

Lisa Vegan
Jul 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: kids who like writing & stories; as something to read before a writing lesson
I loved How Rocket Learned to Read and so I was very eager to read this sequel.

I didn’t expect to, but I liked this book as much as the first one. It’s so adorable.

As someone with many decades long experiences with writer’s block, my favorite line was “When he didn’t know what to write, he growled.”

I adore the illustrations, of Rocket and the yellow bird teacher, and the owl, and everything in the pictures. Rocket is just so, so cute, as are the two birds.

This would be a wonderful book to read t
Kathryn
Oct 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
So cute! I really enjoyed Rocket Learns to Read and this story is perhaps even more dear to my heart because I love to write stories, too, and it's so adorable watching Rocket discover the magic in weaving words and expressing something you truly want to share with others. It's also a sweet story of friendship and the illustrations are humorous and charming.
Brenda
Oct 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Story building can be such a difficult task for some children but author Tad Hills introduces it in a fun way that children will understand. Adorable Rocket is guided by his teacher little yellow bird through the process of building his story. To first build his story, Rocket begins by labeling the things he sees in his environment, a tree, flower etc. each is written onto pieces of paper and hung on the tree. Slowly, Rocket begins to take what was just words and puts them together into a beauti ...more
LauraR
May 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
The perfect picture book for Kindergarten-2nd grade students, this books encourages students to "learn" how to write and where they can find their inspiration for this. Recommended by the International Literary Association, this Teacher's Choice book was honored in 2013 and is written by a New York Time's Bestselling Author. Rocket, who has already developed a love for reading (Sequel to Rocket Learned to Read), is learning how to write and what it means to be a writer.
This book has colorful im
Crystal
Jan 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
Adorable. I think I maybe growl when I can't think of anything to write also. :)
Seung Lee
Feb 02, 2017 rated it liked it
Nice book about writing a story. I liked it and so did my son.
Shiloah
What a lovely little story! We loved watching the unfolding of Rocket writing his own book because he was inspired by his mentor/teacher and from his love of books.
Amy Timmerman
Jun 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
Review from Omaha Public Library: School Library Journal

PreS-Gr 2-The endearing dog who first encountered the joy of words in How Rocket Learned to Read (Random, 2010) wonders what he can do with all the words he's been collecting. "I'm going to write a story!" he announces to his friends, his teacher-a small yellow bird-and the world at large. But a story, he finds, is made of more than just words. With useful questions, positive feedback, and encouragement, Rocket's teacher keeps him intereste
Margaret Welwood
Aug 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The children in the story circle are insistent--their teachers don't stand on pencils. Maybe that's because they're not like Rocket's teacher, the little yellow bird. With the pencil point in the ground, the little teacher stands on the eraser and looks her furry student in the eye. "Remember, stories take time," she says encouragingly.

Rocket sniffs out lovely words like buttercup, feather, and nest, and brings them back to the classroom in the meadow. The teacher helps him spell the tricky ones
Jim Erekson
Feb 22, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picturebooks
I'm baffled by the high reviews for this book. It's the time-tested story of a puppy learning to write. I just didn't get it. Much like Marc Brown's Arthur books, I have no idea why the characters in this story need to be animals. It's token fantasy displacement with the only effect being to make the characters seem more cute. But a good illustrator knows how to make children cute, so why do we need it to be a puppy and Tweety Bird?

When I displace into an animal my identifying with the main cha
Lorna
Sep 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picturebooks
I must say I liked the storyline of the How Rocket Learned to Read better than this one from a sheer entertainment perspective. However, this book is PERFECT, for sharing with young kids about the writing process. So many great ways to incorporate this into the Writer's Workshop process, even for kids in the upper elementary grades.
Read  Ribbet
Tad Hills brings back Rocket who learned to read in his last book. Now Rocket learns to write. Cleverly revealing how writers find their inspiration, how they make word choices, how they unblock writers block. In the end, writing is about relationships as Rocket finds out. A great book for writing mini-lessons and fostering the urgency in Work on Writing.
Donalyn
A marvelous companion to Rocket Learns to Read, this book describes Rocket's writing processes in ways that young children will understand. Perfect for launching writing workshop. Besides, I'm a sucker for owls.
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
Mar 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
A companion picture book to Rocket Learns to Read. Rocket and the little yellow bird (his teacher) are back. This time Rocket is learning to write and he is going to write a story about a little owl. A little long, but still enjoyable.
Miss Bookiverse
The drawings were adorable but the story was too weak and random.
Muphyn
Free book at BEA 2013.

Really cute drawing but seriously weak story, there isn't really any point to it and seems a bit random that Rocket the puppy wants to write a story (huh?)... :(
Lisa Nagel
Wonderful companion to Rocket Learns to Read and I see teachers using this when teaching fundamentals of writing. Love how Rocket gets his ideas and inspiration.
Anna
Mar 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Love these books and read them aloud.
Sunah Chung
Dec 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Rocket is a dog who loves reading and writing. He collects words everywhere and brings those words to class. One day he decides to write a story, and while writing a story, he and Owl become good friends.
Rocket has a good teacher, the little yellow bird, who encourages Rocket to write a story. Rocket also has a good friend who inspires him to write a story about her, Owl, and listens to his story sincerely. When it comes to writing about education, it would be critical to have someone who can
Sunni Berbert
Jan 19, 2019 rated it liked it
(PICTURE BOOK)

This book would be great for having a discussion about the writing process (coming up with a topic, writing it out, editing it). It shows that it is not always easy to write. But it also shows the many strategies and resources that we have available to help us write. I also liked that Rocket and his teacher created a tree with the various words that Rocket would find or sniff out. It would be fun to create a word tree (word wall) based off this book. Have students add any words (an
Angie
Jan 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s
My Review: I had picked this up a while ago and re-discovered in on my shelves, even though Munchkin is a little old for picture books we read it anyway. It turned out to be a great book to read even though he is older, the way that the concept of how to write a story is presented is fantastic. I like how it is broken down to just putting words together and using things that Rocket found interesting. This is a really cute story with adorable illustrations and so much to learn!
Emily
Sep 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great story for young readers to inspire them to write. It exposes the difficulties one may have in attempting to write for the first time and helps them understand this is normal. Shows young readers that writing is a process that takes time and space. Rocket learns that writing can be fun and help you make new friends!
Brittany
Aug 03, 2018 rated it liked it
We love the Duck and Goose books so we picked this up at the library. It was good, but we were a little disappointed as it fell a little flat with us. I can imagine why others liked it so much, but for us, we'll stick with Duck and Goose.
Valleri
Jan 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was a very cute story about a dog whom wishes to write a story for his fellow friends. The word choices by the auther were on par with what would be expected of a young child to be able to read, and yet it was challenging enough to keep them interested.
Eileen Carter
Jun 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Learning to read and write takes time it doesn't happen over night. Rocket learns this in the story as well as makes a new friend. It is a sweet story with a moral that good things take time, patience and practice to achieve.
Ann M. Noser
Oct 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: animals, illustrated
Charming book to read and read with my young daughter.
eimn
Oct 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The best kids book on creativity I know!
Kenson and kirra
Nov 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
i liked rockets word tree. i could read a lot of the words on it and that made me happy. it was a pretty nice story too.
Aiden and Jack
May 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2nd-grade-k-m
GRL: M
DRA: 24
August Maclauchlan
Adorable. Inspirational. Fun. Encouraging. Delightful.
  • Ralph Tells a Story
  • Dog in Charge
  • Fifty Cents and a Dream: Young Booker T. Washington
  • The Quiet Place
  • Penny and Her Doll
“Whenever I picture myself [as a child],” says Tad Hills, “I am doing art. I spent a lot of time on my own making things, drawing, and painting.” Hills was not consciously trying to become an artist, rather his motives were innocent and pure. “I liked making things,” he says.

As a graduate of Skidmore College in New York with a degree in art, Hills describes himself as the ultimate freelancer. He’s

Rocket and the Little Yellow Bird (3 books)
  • How Rocket Learned to Read
  • Rocket's Mighty Words (Oversized Board Book)