Start by marking “5 Centimeters per Second (5 Centimeters per Second, #1-2)” as Want to Read:
5 Centimeters per Second (5 Centimeters per Second, #1-2)

5 Centimeters per Second

(秒速5センチメートル / Byousoku 5 Centimeter #1-2)

A tale of two people, Tono Takaki and Shinohara Akari, who were close friends but gradually grow farther and farther apart as time moves on. They become separated because of their families yet continue to exchange contact in the form of letters. Yet as time continues to trudge on, their contact with one another begins to cease. Years pass and the rift between them grows ...more
Published June 26th 2012 by Vertical (first published November 14th 2007)

Start your review of 5 Centimeters per Second (5 Centimeters per Second, #1-2)
Emelie
Nov 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
That ending:

description

Hi. I bought this book because my friend said it was really beautiful (potentially feelsy) and since I am a masochistic prick, of course I bought it. I wanted to read something fast, easy and heartbreaking. Boy, was this heartbreaking... The thing that is so heartbreaking is not that they might never see each other again, but that it was so uncertain of... everything.

(view spoiler)
Anya (~on a semi-hiatus~)

Edit- Upping the ratings to four stars because so many days and books later, I still catch myself thinking about it at the oddest moments. My greatest quibble was the ending (still is) but upon serious reflection, I've decided that I wouldn't have it any other way because that's how life is! Relationships are messy things- they don't always go the way you want them to. You meet people, you grow to love them, you learn a great number of things from each other and there's always a solid chance
April (Aprilius Maximus)
May 04, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019
I kinda see what this was trying to do, but to me it just felt like the story kinda went nowhere. Nothing really happened... they kinda just grew up and that's it.
Rachelle Ann
Apr 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
First I read the novel, then I watched the film and after it, I read the manga. It made me cry on some of its part but of all the books that made me cry, this one is different.It's not like the other books that will make you cry an ocean . After reading it , the story has left a heavy depressing mark in my heart. yes, it's painful and depressing at the same time. The depressing aftereffect will make you think about life and about the power of time and distance to disconnect people's once strong ...more
Jessica-Robyn
Feb 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga-manhwa
To see a preview of the art and a trailer for the film this graphic novel adaptation is based on, be sure to check out this review on my blog, Reading Robyn!

When you look back at your life what stands out?

The story behind 5 Centimeters per Second is one that will seem familiar no matter what your personal experiences are. At some point we all lose something, we all regret losing something, and we all long for the something we lost. For Tohno Takaki he fell in love at a very young age and lost
Seth T.
Mar 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
Human interaction, this whole member of society thing, is hard. There's no rulebook, no trailguide. And everything that attempts to mark out the boundaries and admonish a sort of Best Practice approach to the world of humanity is just some arrogant SOB's shot in the dark based off what worked for her or him. Nobody really knows. And when you add to that the volatile mix of emotions and hormones, it becomes flatly miraculous that any of us can lay claim to even a modicum of success when it comes ...more
Farhin
Apr 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga
Please note: Minor spoilers have not been tagged. Only read this review, if you're completely okay with being spoiled, ever so slightly.

5 Centimeters per Second is a manga about two childhood friends who try to keep in touch but gradually lose contact with each other as time passes.

The story isn't just that though. It's about the feelings that come with first love; the concept of having to 'move on' from first crushes, friends, familiar surroundings. Constant changes.

I'm sure we can all
Roxana Chirilă
Apr 23, 2019 rated it liked it
This manga is all about mood and silent feelings. It's beautiful and sad if you're in the right frame of mind, but boring and pointless if you're not. I first started reading it when I wasn't in the right frame of mind, abandoned it when I realized I wouldn't enjoy it, then restarted it today, when it worked for me.

The story as such is pretty simple. Akari Shinohara is a girl who transferred to a new school, where she meets Tono Takaki, a boy who seems to like her. They become close friends -
Christopher
May 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This is a beautifully written and heartbreaking story. The author does a amazing job of showing the fault of building a person up your mind, until they become more than a person, at least to you. This is shown through Takaki, the main character in the story who fell in love with a a girl in elementary school. After promising and failing to keep in touch as the years went by due to both having moved away from each other, he lets this idea of her and the feelings he once had build up to the point ...more
Naailah
Jun 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
Ok just end it like that
Nastaran
“Yesterday, I had a dream... A dream I have had since long ago. In that dream, we had yet to turn 13. We were in a vast countryside, completely covered with snow. The lights of the houses extended far into the distance, a dazzling sight. We walked on the thick carpet of fresh snow, but did not leave any footprints. And like that... 'Someday we will be able to watch the cherry blossoms together again'. Both of us, without any doubt... That's what we thought.”

کلمات توصیف کنندۀ احساس من نسبت به
Hitarthi Pandya
Mar 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
4.5

WhY END ON a ClLiff HangER
it wasnt that depressing...just reality of life and it sometimes got confusing and tangled up...still dont get the full meaning behind the story (just the outer layer) and it might take time to process in my brain.
this doesnt have a happy ending but it was happy enough
this certainly made me think about the friends i have lost contacts with and think of what they might be doing and living life and i truly hope and i get to meet them some day
Hiba Arrame
Sep 08, 2019 rated it liked it
This one lacks a few more volumes to be complete, I couldn't find closure and it felt kind of cut off.
Lexie
Jul 19, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: gns-owned-read
Prelim Review: Er...okay straight up I love Shinkai's movies. I love all of them--they are some of the most thought-provoking, gorgeous and wonderfully scripted anime movies I've seen (next to the Ghibli/Miyazaki stuff). 5 Centimeters Per Second is not my favorite (that's reserved for 'The Place Promised in our Early days'), but I've still seen it enough to repeat some of the lines. In Japanese.

That said, this is a very faithful and thoughtful adaptation of that movie. It manages to bridge some
Joy Sallegue
Dec 28, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: manga
I wanted to like this manga, I really did. I loved Your Name, and 5 Centimeters per Second is, in many ways, similar to Your Name. Youth, love, and memories (or lack thereof). The difference for me was the characters. I felt like Akari was not as fleshed out as Takaki, and Akari was just used as the reason for Takaki's (annoying) angst. By chapter 9, I wanted to punch Takaki for being a jerk and hurting all those girls. It was unfair, how he left them all hanging just because he couldn't move ...more
Regina
Jan 16, 2018 rated it liked it
What the...? I’m so freaking mad!
Jade
Feb 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga, own-hard-copy
5 Centimeter Per Second is the manga adaptation of the 2007 animated film 5 Centimeter Per Second (Byōsoku Go Senchimētoru) directed by Makaoto Shinkai.

The main premise of the story is about the main character Takaki Tōno and how his relationship with Akari Shinohara impacts his choices in life and how he interacts with others as the result of that relationship.

Akari transfers to Takaki’s elementary and the two quickly become friends over similar interests and viewpoints. Upon graduating
abuch
May 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
read this book in one sitting at chapters :P this is the first manga book I’ve ever read and i was pleasantly surprised by how cute it was!!! However the ending is so not satisfying :(((( also I just learnt that it’s also a movie!! So I will definitely be watching it soon !!
Adeeb
Jul 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It’s been a long time since I’ve read a story about something that isn’t particularly thick with plot. I particularly loved the imagery in this book. The artwork was honestly breathtaking. I really enjoyed it. Again, it’s a simple story where not much happens. That was the winning factor for me.
Brian
Jun 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance, manga
Everyone remembers that one childhood friend that they were inseparable from, or the middle- or high-school S.O. that they promised to stay together with forever. Something comes up, though. Maybe the friend moves away, and at first you text each other every day, but gradually there's less and less to talk about as your life experiences diverge, until there's nothing left to say and all that's left is the occasional message about a birthday or a short conversation about some national event.

The
B
Dec 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, manga
A lot better than the movie! But still watch the movie, it has nice visuals and good concept art.
But the manga is more touching and reassuring; plus it has a better ending. :)
Lauren
Feb 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Perhaps I've been biased by my forays into reading and writing flash fiction, but this is the exact sort of story I love reading. I liked the division into shorts instead of a single, linear story; while readers unused to that sort of format may find it off-putting, or even confusing, it's always been to my personal preference. Each segment could stand on its own, but taken together they create a bitter-sweetly gorgeous sense of atmosphere.

And this is a story about atmosphere. I would call it
HaveYouSeenThisGirL Denny
Oct 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
My bestfriend used to recommend the movie version of this to me, I didn't watch it because... I don't know, I didn't feel like watching it. Then the other day I saw it has a graphic novel, I bought it and started reading it and boy, was it good! At first I thought it was just a boring and dramatic story, I was about to stop reading it but I'm glad I didn't. This story is beautiful! It's a story about two friends who, growing up, realised that they have a certain special feeling for one another. ...more
Shanu
Jul 25, 2013 rated it did not like it
What was that? What did i just read?

I started reading this a year ago but i wasn't feeling it so i put it down. After seeing "thereadables" review of it on youtube i decided to give it another go. And i don't know if that was a good thing.

I really liked the story itself. To me, it was about upcoming things from the past, where you mind is stuck. I can relate to Takaki on many levels (moving, letters, feelings) but i was still extremely mad at him for hurting people around him.
I loved how the
Molly
Apr 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga
At first, when I finished this, I thought I hated it. Then I realized that it struck so close to home that I didn't know how to process it. It didn't have a Hollywood happy ending, the boy doesn't get the girl, and it was one of the most beautiful stories I've ever read. It really resonated for me.

It left me thinking for days afterwards about the long-reaching impact of short-lived relationships. I think of old friends or partners frequently- oftentimes fondly, oftentimes with regret or
Shayne
Jul 30, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-novels
Like the characters in this book, the reader is left with several questions, none of which are answered.

Unlike the characters in this book, I will not spend years pining after a resolution to the story.
Shannon
I've never read a manga before, but my daughter loves them, so I thought I'd give it a shot. I actually really enjoyed it. I thought it was a sweet story, and it kept my attention throughout. I didn't realize there was a book two, so that made me feel kind of stupid. I just thought it was the world's biggest cliffhanger. Reading a book backwards though made me feel really smart, so I guess it evens out.

Wait, maybe there isn't a book two. I'm so confused, but I still enjoyed it!
Aug 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
This was one painful read. Just heartbreak after heartbreak in each chapter.
Somaya Salama
Nov 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
I loved the anime and this is just as great. I wish I could have seen more of Akari's POV though.
Elizabeth
Oct 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I'm a sucker for "first love" stories. Especially if you genuinely fall for the characters and can believe the depths of their love for one another. This beautiful manga was no exception. Keep in mind, this is not a fluffy, happily ever after tale. This is very bittersweet, very painful, and incredibly relatable. I've seen several people on this site bash the main protagonist because of his inability to let go of the past. The thing is..... I can relate.

I longed for my first love for years,
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
IGGPPC Iggle Book...: December 2014 Manga: 5 Centimeters Per Second 5 19 Jan 04, 2015 05:17AM
Differences between Film and the Novel? 2 59 Jul 11, 2014 08:07AM

• The Garden of Words
  • I Want to Eat Your Pancreas
  • 秒速5センチメートル 2 [Byousoku 5 Centimeter 2]
  • 你的名字 Another Side:Earthbound
  • Orange: The Complete Collection, Volume 1 (Orange: The Complete Collection, #1)
  • The Gods Lie
  • Wolf Children: Ame & Yuki
  • 夢みる太陽 2 [Yume Miru Taiyou 2] (Dreaming Sun, #2)
  • Orange: The Complete Collection, Volume 2
  • 夢みる太陽 8 [Yume Miru Taiyou 8] (Dreaming Sun, #8)
  • 夢みる太陽 6 [Yume Miru Taiyou 6] (Dreaming Sun, #6)
  • 夢みる太陽 7 [Yume Miru Taiyou 7] (Dreaming Sun, #7)
  • I Want to Eat Your Pancreas
  • アオハライド 1 (Ao Haru Ride, #1)
  • 聲の形 3 [Koe no Katachi 3] (A Silent Voice, #3)
  • Town of Evening Calm, Country of Cherry Blossoms
  • 夢みる太陽 5 [Yume Miru Taiyou 5] (Dreaming Sun, #5)
  • A Silent Voice, Vol. 1 (A Silent Voice, #1)
SHINKAI Makoto
Name (in native language): 新海 誠
Associated Names:
СИНКАЙ Макото
Makoto Shinkai

Makoto Shinkai (新海 誠 Shinkai Makoto?), born as Makoto Niitsu (新津 誠 Niitsu Makoto?, February 9, 1973) is a Japanese director of anime and former graphic designer. A native of the Nagano Prefecture, Shinkai studied Japanese literature at Chuo University where he was a member of juvenile literature club where he

秒速5センチメートル / Byousoku 5 Centimeter (2 books)
  • 秒速5センチメートル 1 [Byousoku 5 Centimeter 1]
  • 秒速5センチメートル 2 [Byousoku 5 Centimeter 2]
“I still don't know what it really means to grow up. However, if I happen to meet you, one day in the future, by then, I want to become someone you can be proud to know.” 133 likes
“Maybe we tried to leave as much memories of ourselves with each other because we knew one day we wouldn't be together any more.” 125 likes