Start by marking “Please God, Find Me a Husband!” as Want to Read:
Please God, Find Me a Husband!

Please God, Find Me a Husband!

A moving, warm, very funny graphic memoir of Simone Lia's search for inner peace and a husband, traveling from London to a Welsh convent to the Australian outback

As Simone Lia's book opens we find her in Leicester Square. She's just been dumped by her boyfriend and she's talking to God, telling Him that she's nearly 34 and if He wants her to get married, He'd better get a
Published April 1st 2014 by Random House UK (first published May 14th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Please God, Find Me a Husband!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Please God, Find Me a Husband!

karen
Mar 02, 2014 karen rated it liked it
this book is exactly what the title says it is and somehow still not at all what i was expecting. it's not that my reading comprehension skills are weakening, i just didn't think that the person who gave me all the things i squee over:

fluffy:

this worm:

chip and bean:

more fluffy:

would also write a religious comic about finding a man.

i bought it without even looking through it; i just said "simone lia has a new (in this country) book?? MINE!"

and then i got it home and read it, only to discover th
Stephen
Jul 04, 2012 Stephen rated it really liked it
I thought this was a great leap forward for Lia in terms of sophistication and complexity in her storytelling. I like her previous work, but it isn't really my type of thing. For me, this has more depth and complexity, and hence is far more satisfying. The book deals a lot with Lia's spirituality and her inquisitiveness about religion, which I found really fascinating, particularly as it was coupled with her quirky humour. I think ultimately that's what I really liked in this book - serious subj ...more
Sam Quixote
Apr 11, 2012 Sam Quixote rated it liked it
I remember reading "Fluffy" a few years ago and thought it was a cute and daffy comic book, so thought I'd check on Simone Lia's latest, "Please God, Find Me a Husband!". Little did I realise that rather than the exclamation being one of generic hopelessness, that she was literally asking God to find her a husband!

The book follows Lia on an autobiographical journey as she undertakes "an adventure with God", going to a nunnery in Wales and then the outback of Australia to visit a hermit, in a que
Wilde Sky
Apr 01, 2017 Wilde Sky rated it really liked it
A lonely woman appeals to God to help her find a husband.

I’m not very religious but I found this short illustrated story charming (with good illustrations) and thought provoking.
bonnie
Jul 03, 2012 bonnie rated it really liked it
Shelves: bande-dessiné
So far, I am enjoying this immensely! Her sometimes dark & dry wit, honesty and drawing style make this a book that I want to read from cover to cover–though I am trying to slow down. Even though her drawing style isn't hyper realistic, I really like the quirkiness of it–and all the tiny details she adds into them–especially in regards to book titles, etc.
Emilia P
Jan 02, 2013 Emilia P rated it really liked it
Shelves: comic-books
Aw. Dancing to INXS with God unironically. A personal book written by an intelligent and committed religious person. Refreshing and sweet. Errol suggested she was a lot like me and I took that as a great compliment. Thanks Simone, for sharing this with us.
Henry
Feb 28, 2015 Henry rated it liked it
The Celia Cruz joke was brilliant. And the pages dealing with depression very good indeed. " I didn't know Christians could get this depressed"
Robert C.
Jun 24, 2017 Robert C. rated it it was ok
Wanted to like it, but can't get past the Christianity of it all, not the mention the sheer capriciousness of this God.
Devon H
Apr 02, 2016 Devon H rated it liked it
I picked up this book because I liked the back cover and wanted to give it a try. I have to say I’m glad I did. I found this book funny in a quirky introverted kind of way. A memoir, Lia writes about her travels and adventures to find a husband. She is set on finding a husband because she feels like it’s time she gets married and moves on to that part of her life, but she continuously has a discussion with herself about what God wants for her.

I like the way she puts what she’s thinking into pict
Alice
Jun 21, 2015 Alice rated it really liked it
Lia's four-part series, Fluffy, was really my gateway drug into graphic novels. I still remember stumbling across the first volume in Chicago Comics many years ago and just being blown away by both its sweetness and strangeness. So, I check in on Simone Lia from time to time, and found this volume. Although it is a departure from Fluffy, this story shares some of both Fluffy's innocence and sadness. The overtly religious themes may put off some, but I love Lia's illustrations, and she is a wonde ...more
Joe Decie
Dec 15, 2012 Joe Decie rated it really liked it
Lovely book, gorgeously coloured and beautifully drawn. Simone is great at comics and has lovely sense of humour and narration. The book is about her Christianity and quest for a husband, so I could probably relate to it less than her previous book Fluffy (about a bunny that thinks it’s human) But being able to relate to the character was not important, you don’t need to be a Christian or a 34 year old single woman to enjoy the story. It’s good and funny. And the individual panels are beautiful.
Scare Bear
Mar 27, 2015 Scare Bear rated it did not like it
Loved Fluffy. I was ready to buy this on that alone. Thank God (figuratively) that I didn't. I went in expecting more of that Fluffy whimsy and instead got a kind of story about God (literal) and how awesome religion is. How did this get published? I have nothing against religion but I hung out with nuns to find a man? And silence is so super spiritual that I feel God all the time except when I'm thinking about myself.

I did like that it wasn't all wrapped up in a bow at the end with her happily
Denise Viljoen
Jul 25, 2013 Denise Viljoen rated it did not like it
Shelves: book-club
In my opinion this book lacks any substance. I understand what she was trying to say but it just never got to a point where it concluded to much. Some might say its brave to do a graphic novel about religion, but the story is so thin its almost cowardly to get the chance to do a book like this and not deliver the goods. The illustrations are also not to my taste, and as childish as I think the illustrations are, so I see the character too.

All round disappointing from page one.
Joanna
Jan 13, 2013 Joanna rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
I really enjoyed this novel, but found the end quite frustrating and unsatisfying. If you're offended by people with faith, don't read this, as it's mostly about her relationship with God, which I thought was interesting and slightly depressing... I appreciate that faith's not always easy, but it must be nice to have an answer to life's big questions and a sense of unconditional love and community. I know this doesn't apply to everyone. A pleasing lack of husband-searching, too! Nice.
Tate Ryan
Dec 10, 2013 Tate Ryan rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-novels
Despite the title I didn't realise this had a religious element to it until i got started. It had some good moments and some that dragged on too long. However by the end of it I was left feeling underwhelmed hence the 2 star rating. Maybe I just really wanted her to find a husband......
Selina Lock
Dec 31, 2012 Selina Lock rated it liked it
An interesting read, but focused more on Simone's spiritual journey and relationship with God than I'm comfortable with as an agnostic.

Whimsically illustrated with great use of nature and depictions of God, as Simone talks to him. A lovely pastel palette too.
Norman
Jan 15, 2016 Norman rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics, graphic-novel
It does not claim to give you the answers but its gentle handling of the subject of a Christian searching for a guy is touching, moving and entertaining. A better review is here http://forbiddenplanet.co.uk/blog/201...
Margaret Houston
Apr 16, 2012 Margaret Houston rated it really liked it
Charming, surprisingly profound, and with a heartwarmingly real-life look at a journey through Christian spirituality.
John Da ega
Apr 10, 2013 John Da ega rated it it was ok
A primeira metade e bastante aborrecida e desinteressante. Apenas o twist final consegue ter algum interesse e umas imagens interessantes.
Kate
Sep 08, 2015 Kate rated it it was ok

I didn't realize God in the title was religious affiliation before reading.

Basically a religious take on dating. Praying will bring me a husband if God wills it.

Alex Milway
Apr 19, 2012 Alex Milway rated it really liked it
This was a lovely, bittersweet read.
Sian
Feb 27, 2013 Sian rated it really liked it
Started to read this then lost the sense of urgency to carry on...
Audiogeist
Sep 24, 2012 Audiogeist rated it really liked it
Hilarious graphic novel. Very honest, very touching.
Daniel Hollands
Nov 11, 2013 Daniel Hollands rated it did not like it
Total rubbish with a really bad message. Fuck this book, fuck it and all it's kind.
Dee
Sep 07, 2014 Dee rated it liked it
This was a quick and easy read. There were some great messages placed throughout the story which I appreciated a lot.
Federica
Federica rated it liked it
Aug 05, 2012
Lily-rose Beardshaw
Lily-rose Beardshaw rated it liked it
Nov 16, 2012
Nicola
Nicola rated it it was ok
Sep 10, 2015
Lily Peacock
Lily Peacock rated it liked it
Jun 27, 2015
Ruth
Ruth rated it really liked it
Sep 30, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Simone Lia is a graphic novelist and a comics artist, and her work has been exhibited across Europe, including at the Tate Britain. She lives and works in London.
More about Simone Lia...