Start by marking “A Dyeing Shame (Myrtle Clover Mystery #3)” as Want to Read:
A Dyeing Shame (Myrtle Clover Mystery #3)

A Dyeing Shame (Myrtle Clover Mysteries #3)

3.56  ·  Rating details ·  1,359 Ratings  ·  165 Reviews
Some beauty secrets are more dangerous than others…

Published November 30th 2011 by Elizabeth Spann Craig (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about A Dyeing Shame, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Dyeing Shame

Dorte
Mar 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A cosy mystery of the very best kind, and extremely funny in places.

What I love most is the fact that Myrtle Clover is a terrible pain in the butt without really knowing it herself.
Dawn Michelle

I really adore this series; Myrtle makes everything light and fun. She is great to read when I have heavy books going on because I know that I will laugh and laugh and laugh. These are pretty easy mysteries [as far as solving goes; I knew pretty early on who the killer was and was pretty sure of the why], but it doesn't detract from the story or the hilarity of Myrtle and Miles and their sleuthing [albeit, reluctantly on Miles' part]. So much fun!!!
Judith Cranswick
A great story spoilt by poor formatting.
I enjoyed this undemanding, easy-to-read cosy very much. Great characters and a good page-turner. So it isn't great literature and not always realistic, but it doesn't set out to be so to criticise on those grounds indicates readers didn't bother to read the blub and opening first!
What irritated me was the formatting. A line space between every paragraph I might of coped with, but, because of this, there were no obvious scene breaks. Having to go to the ve
Monica
Jan 09, 2017 rated it liked it
A fun cozy mystery--though I like her quilting series better.
Holly
Mar 28, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I feel kind of bad rating this book the same as the last book I read, Sweet Tooth by Ian McEwan, since Sweet Tooth was obviously a much more well-written book. However, my policy is to rate based on the genre and purpose of any given book, so I'm not actually saying that the two are comparable.

This book is a cozy mystery and a very easy read. I enjoyed the story line (beauty salon owner in a small town is stabbed in the back). Cue the bored old woman (protagonist), Myrtle, whose son is the polic
Ingrid Parker
Apr 10, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Myrtle Clover is a scream, this book is masterly written and cleverly plotted. I read it in one day, could not put it down. It's good to read an entertaining mystery with witty banter.
Megh
Mar 13, 2016 rated it liked it
Fun and silly romp.
Cynthia Cox
Jun 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Myrtle is clever, cunning, wise and sometimes cantankerous

I was searching for a new series to enjoy when I read a sample of the first Myrtle Clover mystery.
I have become a devoted fan. Myrtle is a senior citizen with a sharp mind, a delightful sense of humor and a desire to solve murders. Her son Red, the local sheriff, often dismisses Myrtle's theories much to his own chagrin.

Marcia
May 22, 2017 rated it liked it
Easy to read, fun & silly; I enjoyed it. The editing was terrible, which is irritating; missing and misspelled words just should not happen.
Julie
Sep 12, 2017 rated it liked it
Kindle
Lorrie Puchala
May 17, 2017 rated it liked it
A quick fun read. Great for summer.
Leesa Peters
Jul 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Good Read

Good plot and good/funny characters. Enjoy all of Myrtle's literary quotes. Would recommend to anyone who wants a light,fun read.
Stephanie
May 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
Good swift cozy. Enjoying Myrtle, an octogenarian sleuth.
Victoria Lees
May 03, 2017 rated it liked it

A Dyeing Shame by Elizabeth Spann-Craig is a cute cozy mystery filled with endearing characters. The amateur detective reminds me of a cross between Jessica Fletcher in Murder She Wrote and Miss Marple from the Agatha Christie cozies.

Myrtle Clover, the octogenarian mama of Bradley, North Carolina’s Chief of Police, is anything but confused and doddering. She and her cohorts methodically find and confront the killer in this delightful mystery. If you’re looking for a good cozy, A Dyeing Shame is
Nell
Feb 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: gr-read, 2017
Hilarious!! Delightful characters and a good puzzle. This is the first book I read in this series and it was easy to pick up the themes. I recommend this fun read. Great to have a MC who is a witty octogenarian breaking age related stereotypes.
Sandra Osborn
Sep 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
I definitely enjoy this cozy mystery series set in a small southern town full of quirky characters. Long live Myrtle Clover
Lori
Jul 21, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
First of all, I give any author who manages to actually complete a novel a customary 2 stars. Writing a novel is a daunting task and deserves credit regardless of the quality.

Sencondly, I am an avid reader of mystery novels, so I assign an additional star if an author can keep me guessing as to the identity of the main culprit for more than 50% of the book. In this case, I knew 65% of the way through.

Beyond that, stars 4 and 5 are based solidly on the execution of content and overall enjoyabilit
Gina
Goodreads Description- When Beauty Box beautician Tammy Smith is discovered with a pair of hair shears in her back, there are suspects and secrets aplenty in her small Southern town.

Octogenarian Myrtle Clover, bored by bingo and bridge, is intrigued by the crime...and her neighbors' secrets. But discovering, and blabbing, secrets got Tammy killed and Myrtle soon learns her sleuthing isn't just dangerous...it's deadly.

Just like the description says, Myrtle Clover is a bored octogenerian who like
Jeanne Jenkins
Mar 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2014
Myrtle, a nice old lady, maybe with too much time on her hands, likes to 'get involved' in things in her home town in North Carolina. As sometimes the case in small towns, everything of importance takes place in the beauty salon. Tammy Smith owns The Beauty Box. She has started drinking, on and off the job, and everyone hates her. She hears all the secrets that ladies share while getting their hair done, and has started telling what she knows. When she was found dead in the shop, with shears stu ...more
Annette
This is the first Myrtle Clover book I have read. She is quite a character. She lives in a small North Carolina town and is a busy body who is very busy.

When her hair dresser is murdered, she jumps into action to find the murderer. Her son is the Sheriff who worries about her. With his wife and toddler son living right across the street from Myrtle, Red tries to keep his mother from putting herself in danger.

Myrtle really seems to make light of her son's abilities and she apparently has no confi
Randee Baty
A Dyeing Shame is a fluffiest of the fluffy type piece of fun. A cozy mystery with an 80 year old sleuth-heroine set in a small town with the murder in the town beauty parlor? Can't get much fluffier!

Myrtle Clover is a retired English teacher with a Chief-of-Police son. She writes a helpful tips column for the local paper but that isn't enough to keep her mind busy and when a dead body shows up in her local beauty parlor, she can't help herself. She has to find out what happened. Over the protes
Judie
Jan 25, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A DYEING SHAME is one of a series of soft mysteries featuring Myrtle Clover, an 80-something living in North Carolina. This one revolves around a hair salon. Most of the women characters meet there where they interact with the three staff members. Gossiping seems to be the main draw.
Tammy, the owner, has been acting strangely because of her close relationship with alcohol. As the story opens, she is at work, messing up a customer’s hair, and abusing almost everyone else in the shop. Within a fe
Ronna
Dec 31, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Everyone knows everyone in eighty something,Myrtle Clover's small southern town. Myrtle finds her excitement a little lacking these days. She has already inserted herself in her policeman son, Red's, last murder case. He worries about his mom and would like to see her in a safe assisted living home.

Unfortunately, there's another murder, the owner of the local beauty salon as become verbally abusive in her too frequently drunken states. So when she's found stabbed with her hairdressing sheers,
Rusty
Dec 09, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-thriller
If you like cozies, you will probably enjoy this quick little read. The protagonist is an octogenarian who loves crossword puzzles, her grandson, and solving murders. She's a terrible cook, a matchmaker, a good friend and a nosy busybody. In short, Myrtle Clover is a fascinating individual. And, that her son, Red, wants to send her to an assisted living facility.

When an alcoholic beauty operator is murdered, Myrtle is determined to discover who did it and why. After all, it's her beauty salon.
Cathy Cole
Mar 01, 2014 rated it liked it
Myrtle Clover is just the type of crafty, snoopy little old lady that you have to laugh at... and give thanks that she doesn't belong to you. Even though her son Red has told all of his police officers not to say a word about this murder investigation to his mother, Myrtle still finds out bits and pieces of information that spur her on. This woman is sharp-- and she's not above playing the age card when she thinks it will get her what she wants. There always seems to be someone who falls for the ...more
Becky
Mar 14, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio
Listened to this on audio as I went about my day. Not a literary classic but I didn't expect one! Octogenarian Myrtle is quite a sleuth, cane and all. The local beauty shop owner has been murdered, and Myrtle, along with her "Watson" (neighbor Miles), is out to solve the whodunit. Myrtle's air conditioning is broke and she has to move in with her son Red (the local head of police) while it is being repaired. This affords her a better opportunity to snoop. So, off she goes to solve the crime and ...more
Tim
Jul 26, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was impressed with this mystery. Craig crafts an intriguing plot that keeps the reader interested and doesn't give the mystery away too early in the book. And as a North Carolina resident, I can really relate to the small town life that she weaves into the story.

Myrtle Clover is the typical elderly busy-body that keeps up with the gossip around town by hanging out at the beauty salon. Craig goes even further and makes her incredibly perceptive and tenacious when she has a problem to solve. In
Michelle's Book
Jan 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
A Dyeing Shame (Book 3)

Synopsis

Myrtle Clover is a funny, senior sleuth and with her friend Miles, they are a real pain for her son Red. Red is a cop, Myrtle is not. This worries Red to no end! Personally, I understand why Myrtle wants to help out, she is not an old lady. They are your typical southern, charming individuals who a great example of the southern culture. Unfortunately, and very sadly Tammy has been murdered and not in a typical manner.

My Opinion and rating 4 Stars

The book is well
Kristin Howell
Oct 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebooks
This was a great cozy mystery. I enjoyed reading it, both suspenseful and humorous. Myrtle Clover will definitely be in my future reads.

The book was well-written, overall, but the ending felt a little quick. You're reading and trying to piece together the clues and before you know it, the whole thing's solved. It was still fun to read, though.

I hadn't read the previous books (Amazon says this is book 3 of 5 in the series) because I was able to download this book for free on Amazon Kindle, but I
Zena
Mar 04, 2016 rated it liked it
There's hope for us 'elderlies'!
We can stay at home and puzzle out murders and the likes and solve them really well, especially if society has decided that we aren't employable because of our age. Actually I'm amazed at the number of elderly home-sleuths (for want of a better name) that are being written about in cozies of late. Some of the tales are really good, as was this one.
I know this is the 2nd book in this series and I should probably have started with the first one, but it wasn't a prob
Goodreads Librari...: Merge edition with truncated isbn13 forced into isbn field 2 15 Jul 16, 2013 01:13AM
Madison Mega-Mara...: A Dyeing Shame 1 3 Jan 13, 2013 12:33AM
  • Down Home And Deadly  (Sleuthing Sisters Mystery #3)
  • Digging Up Death (Mari Duggins Mystery, #1)
  • Heaven Preserve Us (Home Crafting Mystery, #2)
  • Do not Disturb (Pennyfoot Hotel #2)
  • A Case of Imagination (Madeline Maclin #1)
  • Buyer's Remorse (Mitzy Neuhaus Mystery #3)
  • Storm Surge (A Jonie Waters Mystery, #1)
  • The Final Arrangement (Flower Shop Mystery Series, #1)
  • The Disappearance of Mavis Woodstock (The Val & Kit Mystery Series, #1)
  • Any Port in a Storm (A Jolie Gentil Cozy Mystery, #4)
  • Killer Twist (Ghostwriter Mystery #1)
  • Death by Drowning (Josiah Reynolds Mysteries, #2)
  • At Large (Josephine Fuller, #3)
  • Strictly Murder (Verity Long Mysteries #1)
  • Murder Passes the Buck (Gertie Johnson, #1)
  • The Tea-Olive Bird-Watching Society
  • Hot Chocolate
  • From Mangia to Murder
Elizabeth writes the Southern Quilting mysteries and Memphis Barbeque mysteries for Penguin Random House and the Myrtle Clover series for Midnight Ink and independently. She blogs at ElizabethSpannCraig.com/blog , named by Writer’s Digest as one of the 101 Best Websites for Writers. She curates links on Twitter as @elizabethscraig that are later shared in the free search engine WritersKB.com. Eliz ...more
More about Elizabeth Spann Craig...

Myrtle Clover Mysteries (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Pretty is as Pretty Dies (Myrtle Clover Mysteries #1)
  • Progressive Dinner Deadly (Myrtle Clover Cozy Mysteries #2)
  • A Body in the Backyard (Myrtle Clover Mystery #4)
  • Death at a Drop-In (Myrtle Clover Mystery #5)
  • A Body at Book Club (Myrtle Clover Mystery #6)
  • Death Pays a Visit (Myrtle Clover Mystery #7)
  • A Body at Bunco (Myrtle Clover Mystery #8)
  • Murder on Opening Night (Myrtle Clover Mystery #9)
  • Cruising for Murder (Myrtle Clover Mystery #10)
  • Cooking is Murder (Myrtle Clover Mystery #11)