Start by marking “Uncorked: My Journey Through the Crazy World of Wine” as Want to Read:
Uncorked: My Journey Through the Crazy World of Wine

Uncorked: My Journey Through the Crazy World of Wine

3.45 of 5 stars 3.45  ·  rating details  ·  143 ratings  ·  33 reviews
Marco Pasanella's behind-the-scenes memoir through the world of wine will captivate wine lovers with its story of one man who decided, at age 43, to change his life by opening a wine shop.

As Kitchen Confidential and Waiter Rant explored the front and back of the house at restaurants, Uncorked offers a peek behind the curtain of the wine world.

Pasanella takes the reader in
Published May 22nd 2012 by Clarkson Potter (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Uncorked, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Uncorked

Richard Sutton
It should be a Must Read for foodies/wine drinkers that also run small family businesses. It's a lot of fun and there are some really great recipes included!
An extremely fun read, Uncorked is the story of a man who decides to open a wine shop, discovering the passion, frustration, trials, and tribulations of owning a wine shop. At the same time, realizing something that is deeply satisfying and rewarding.

As a wine drinker, it is interesting to read a story like this. While not particularly deep or complicated, envisioning someone opening a wine shop and going through all the various processes of establishing a business, at the same time being passio
Marco Pasanella’s book, Uncorked, is a fast paced education into the world of wine. From the first chapter, the reader is able to step into his world of frantic stress, anticipation and excitement he describes as he began transforming a former fish-market into his vision of a local wine store and ultimately experience. He describes in detail the risks he and his family took financially as well as in their lifelong dreams while vividly telling of the various “characters” that came to work with th ...more
Andrew Malkin
While I wouldn't necessarily say this revealed the wine world as "crazy", it did make me want to visit the store to meet the knowledgeable staff, buy some wine, see the Fiat on the floor and check out the enoteca. I give him credit for boldly taking on this building to renovate, live in and produce a wine shop in lower Manhattan with a creative, design sensibility. The book was a quick, short read more about taking on the risk of opening a small business in a new industry and the challenges ther ...more
The world of wine is often clouded by an air of mystique, a feeling of exclusivity and the presence of many virtual question marks due to the plain uncertainty of it all. The average wine consumer might know that they like a certain white or red wine, maybe vaguely know the theory of it all but still it can be a closed little world.

Here Marco Pasanella will give you a helping hand and a better introduction to the world of wine through his "mid life" story. After all, he has probably had to learn
Quite enjoyed this unpretentious account of Marco Pasanella's foray into selling wine, beginning as a retailer before expanding into having his own label. The tone is occasionally harried, but that's understandable given how the entire enterprise often seemed to have much in common with the business of juggling plates. Fortunately, Mr Pasanella manages with aplomb, making for a book that's as much an anecdotal primer on owning a small, neighborhood-oriented business as it is a guide to wine. Sto ...more
Morgan Curtis
A gossipy tone and also full of self-importance, whining, and name dropping. I finished hoping that I would learn something about wine and the industry, but the author seemed more interested making fun/light of what most people think about wine. This just came across as condescending.
The author in mid-life, made a life change - he got married, bought a house, left a successful career in industry design and jumped head first into the world of wine. The chapters, with such titles as Prune, Harvest, Crush, take us along on his journey to transform a vision into an extremely successful wine business. He shares many stories of hits and misses along the way. Anyone contemplating a life in this industry or if only a wine enthusiast should read this book. So much information includi ...more
Mike McAdam
* I received this book free through a goodreads giveaway*

I really enjoyed this book. I thought I would be lost because I am wine-ignorant (I know when it is white and when it is red and that is about it) but I wasn't. It is a very interesting story about a man who decides to open a wine shop in Manhattan and very educational about wine in the meantime. I LOVED the writing style right off the bat which can make or break a book. This definitely made the book in this case. There was a time or two w
I had hoped that his "journey through the crazy world of wine" would be educational and interesting. Instead, it was about a rich guy opening a wine shop. The best thing about this book was the appendix, the rest of it was a huge slog to get through, despite the fact that I like wine, I like Italy and I like learning about new things.

My most cohesive criticism other than "I don't like it" is that the flow is terribly off. He randomly puts recipes and other nonsense in the middle of a chapter so
Chip Averwater
Nicely done! Who can't relate to giving up the safe and known in mid-life to set out on one's own course with lots of uncertainties, risks, and challenges? A great writing style, nice choice of words, informality, and sense of humor make this a very enjoyable story. Educational for those with an interest in wines or opening a wine store, but inspirational for everyone. I'm not a cook but I'm sure the intermittent recipes will appeal to some. A fun read with useful lessons. If Mr. Pasanella write ...more
Sheryl Catellier
Liked it a lot, interesting when someone changes their whole life!
I admired that the author keeps the book down-to-earth for readers like me, although the references to his family in Italy came off as slight bragging (Manhattan didn't have that issue for me). Wasn't sure if I'd really be able to get into the book, but found the style enjoyable, with details rarely seeming bogged down (and even then it wasn't too bad). Recommended for those who are interested in learning more about wine, as well the frustrating, though sometimes funny, truth about running a bus ...more
This was an enjoyable book following Marco Pasanella's journey of opening his own wine shop. I liked the way the chapters were set up: Plow, Prune, Harvest, Crush, Ferment, Bottle, Age, Drink. Each chapter started with a brief description of that piece of the wine making process, and then the rest of the chapter was devoted to his wine shop tale. By the end of the book I found myself wishing this wine shop was near me, he has built a wonderful business. Great read.
I learned so much from reading this book. I do love my wine, however I now have a list of those new ones I wish to try soon. This book was a Goodreads giveaway that is definitely a keeper! I most of the recipes that were included as I'm also a lover or anything Italian as far as food is concerned. I will be referring to this book often and would love to visit the windshop on a trip to New York. Salute!
I received this book through the Goodreads First Reads program. As an amateur wine enthusiast I enjoyed reading about the world of wine. The stories of the various people Pasanella has encountered through his were intriguing-- who knew there were so many diverse characters in the world of wine. If you are interested in the behind-the-scenes look into the industry, this is a book you'll enjoy, too.
A wonderful journey through the world of wine.
And what a journey.I am a modest wine fan and I really appreciated Marco's journey.
Full of colorful characters and funny insights to be appreciated by the most casual wine drinker with the bare minimum of knowledge of the industry.
There were times that I felt compelled to take notes, his observations are that good.
And the Ferrari in the store.

Although the author/protagonist comes across as a somewhat privileged name-dropper, I still enjoyed this. It was informative, amusing, and well-paced. Not recommended for those with limited interest in wine or the machinations of wine sales. But, if you are someone who has spent even a little time wandering in a wine shop, this is worth your time.

Easy, enjoyable read about a man and his wife who changed paths in life to open up a wine shop in NYC. There wasn't a lot to the story but i learned a lot about wine and I enjoyed it enough that on more than one occasion I wondered what it would be like to open a wine shop :)

Interesting little memoir, not revolutionary or anything. I didn't learn how to deal with a mid-life crisis, but I did learn about some wines I would like to try and found some yummy sounding recipes.

Good, worth the read.
A fun read! Pasanella is a decent writer and carefully chronicles his major life change from architect to wine merchant. A bit of hubris sprinkled throughout the book, but a nice compliment to a growing understanding of how the business works--from grower to your table.
I really enjoyed this book. It had a few laugh out loud moments, a number of cringe worthy/face palm incidents, and good insight into both the retail world of wine and the absurdity of liquor laws in New York. Highly recommended for those interested in wine.
I am expanding my exploration of wine and reading both about the grapes and people who love them. This book falls in the latter category. Is Pasanella crazy for giving up his career and opening a wine shop? Perhaps. But he writes about it with clarity and style.
Very interesting book. A good behind-the-scenes into the world of wine making and includes good recipies (grr cant spell today!) as well. I wasnt sure how this one was going to be because you would think wine making would be dull but I enjoyed it :)

Good, worth the read.
David Buse
Marco Pasanella shares his story about the trials and tribulations of opening up a wine store in Manhattan's Seaport District. A great look at the personalities and sacrifices necessary to own your own wine shop.
Katje Richstatter
Fascinating look at what it takes to build a business (wine or otherwise) from scratch. Pasanella's voice is personal and engaging, and the book is a nice ride.
Read It Forward
An insider's look at the world of wine for newbies and sommelier alike. Warm, smart, funny, inspiring. Such a great read!
Feb 02, 2013 Misspix rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: dnf
There were periods of interest, but the author tended to rabbit-trail and lost me along the way.
really entertaining story of Pasanella's journey through the world of wine
  • The Big, Fun, Sexy Sex Book
  • Words to Eat By: Five Foods and the Culinary History of the English Language
  • Ghost Dances: Proving Up on the Great Plains
  • Manhattan Affair
  • Pure Love, Pure Life: Exploring God's Heart on Purity
  • The Memory of All That: George Gershwin, Kay Swift, and My Family's Legacy of Infidelities
  • The Dahlia Bakery Cookbook: Sweetness in Seattle
  • Kill the Company: End the Status Quo, Start an Innovation Revolution
  • The Foie Gras Wars: How a 5,000-Year-Old Delicacy Inspired the World's Fiercest Food Fight
  • SICK
  • The Juice: Vinous Veritas
  • The Pope & the CEO: John Paul II's Leadership Lessons to a Young Swiss Guard
  • A Free People's Suicide: Sustainable Freedom and the American Future
  • Steak: One Man's Search for the World's Tastiest Piece of Beef
  • Smoke and Pickles: Recipes and Stories from a New Southern Kitchen
  • Travel Unscripted
  • Dear Zari: The Secret Lives of the Women of Afghanistan
  • Coldness of Marek (Serengard, #1)