Start by marking “Dreaming Yourself Awake: Lucid Dreaming and Tibetan Dream Yoga for Insight and Transformation” as Want to Read:

Some of the greatest of lifes adventures can happen while youre sound asleep. Thats the promise of lucid dreaming, which is the ability to alter your own dream reality any way you like simply by being aware of the fact that youre dreaming while youre in the midst of a dream. There is a range of techniques anyone can learn to become a lucid dreamerand this book provides all ...more
Published May 29th 2012 by Shambhala

To ask other readers questions about Dreaming Yourself Awake, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dreaming Yourself Awake

Start your review of Dreaming Yourself Awake: Lucid Dreaming and Tibetan Dream Yoga for Insight and Transformation
Gregg
Feb 28, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: lucid-dreaming
Although the text does talk a little about the dream world, the majority of the text talks about how to meditate to get there, and how to meditate once you have lucidity. As I read further in the book, I soon realized this text was for the advance lucid dreamer. It is assumed that one is somewhat adept at staying awake in the dream world. The author takes the reader on a journey outing the steps involved in meditating in the astral world. What happens when you go to sleep in a lucid dream ? You ...more
Susie
Mar 22, 2015 rated it liked it
The meditation practices were very useful. It made me look forward to going to bed even more. The second half of the book I found very challenging. Vajrayana Buddhism explained through quantum physics. It was a bit like Descartes and The Matrix! Question reality all the time. Our waking life is an illusion. Our night dreams are closer to our spiritual sense and hence reality.
Iona  Stewart
Feb 02, 2019 rated it it was ok
Im interested in learning to lucid dream, but found out too late that this author asserts that for better to lucid dream we need to be an expert at an obscure form of meditation called Shamatha.

I should have paid more attention to the text on the front of the book which includes the phrase Tibetan Dream Yoga, but I didnt.

The first chapter deals with what the author calls Meditative Quiescence - laying the foundation for lucidity, but since other lucid dreaming authors do not prioritize this nor
Brian
Jan 07, 2015 rated it liked it
What I got from this book was a furthering of my understanding of Tibetan Buddhism, and a set of practices for exploring my dreams and improving my dream recall. I've been practicing for a couple of weeks now, and, although my recall is better, I am not feeling all that confident that I'll achieve "lucid dreaming" any time soon. That's okay, since my goal was to understand the connection between dream "analysis" and Buddhism, not to become an active lucid dreamer.
Taylor Ellwood
Mar 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a good book about lucid dreaming. In it the author explains how to achieve lucid dreaming states and provides exercises people can do to achieve those states. What he shares is consistent with my own experiences of lucid dreaming, so if you want to experience lucid dreaming pick this book up.
The Goon
Mar 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
"Dreaming Yourself Awake: Lucid Dreaming and Tibetan Dream Yoga for Insight and Transformation," by B. Alan Wallace, is a fantastic read.

The book is divided into 3 parts.

Part 1 describes lucid dreaming, and gives exercises and tips on how to become a lucid dreamer. I'm proud to say that I actually did use some of the exercises described in the book, and I managed to recently "wake up" while dreaming once.

What I did to prepare for a lucid dream experience was to ask myself throughout the day
Atul Pandey
Jun 22, 2017 rated it it was ok
The "shamamtha" techniques described earlier in book are very helpful but they have Thier contemporary in form of "Yoga Nidra" by Sivananda(Bihar of school) if someone wants an introductory guide for lucid dreaming then the book is not for them it's more advance stuff pertaining to Buddhism style of dreams yoga....so for new beginners it's not recommended
Lotus
Oct 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: dream-yoga, dharma

I am looking into this subject matter mainly in order to try and gain some control over my dreams, I tend to clench my teeth at night and/or hold my jaw tensely and I need desperately to stop doing this as it causes me to wake up with headaches and jaw pain. I also have quite a bit of consistent jaw problems and ear issues from doing this for years and years.

Following the information in the book I immediately saw results! I was able to remind myself while sleeping to relax my jaw as well as to
Aradhya Makkar
Aug 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
A mixture of some nice ideas with a ton of pseudoscientific BS. But that's the way with these kind of books. You have to drink the metaphysical Kool-Aid along with the tasty pizza that they have to offer.

Did it help me?
Certainly. Dream yoga (a fancy word for meditation) is extremely useful for advanced lucid dreamers who are capable of inducing lucid dreams (at will) but have a hard time in maintaining the lucidity. The practices of the book also helped me in getting my first WILD (Wake
Drew
May 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book. It gets right in to the methods for Lucid Dreaming, some cool things to try, and also gives one of the most succinct descriptions of basic meditation I've ever read.

The Dream Yoga parts are interesting and I learned some things and had some interesting perspectives imparted, but I don't know that I would have been missing out if I had skipped it. The last chapter might be useful if you're very interested in reaching enlightenment or quantum physics, but it kind of dragged
Vladimir
Jan 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book is not only about lucid dreaming - the lucid dreaming part can be summarized in two pages (the technique is rather simple, and as is often the case in Buddhism, putting it into practice is difficult, but that's up to the reader). The rest of it is about shamatha meditation and Tibetan Buddhism (ethics, epistemology and metaphysics), almost like a brief introductory text. What I always appreciate about Alan Wallace is that he is such a compelling writer. There was nothing new that I ...more
Riccardo
May 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: sleep
I you are a fan of lucid dreaming, this book explores the topic further with a specific focus on the overlap with Tibetan Dream Yoga. I'm on the fence. I personally have not had much success with the technique, though in truth I only tried it for a week. If you are more open minded and attracted to Eastern philosophies, this may well appeal.
spac.e.scape
Jan 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
An impressive introduction to Tibetan Dream Yoga, the foundations of the mind according to Buddhism, and a brief overview of why modern science cannot (or refuses to) explore more metaphysical questions. Highly recommended for the novice interested in learning foundations and having some of the more philosophical questions answered.
Casey
Jul 03, 2019 rated it liked it
I'm so interested in this topic but I feel like this could have been like 3 10 page chapters . There is a lot of information, specifically spiritual information, that is reworded from traditional teaching into a sort of academic pat on the back.
Scott Rennie
Oct 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: buddhism
Some great and very clear insights into lucid dreaming and dream yoga, with a strong emphasis on Buddhist practice and theory. I found that he explained some really difficult-to-grasp concepts quite simply, but also felt that more detail could have been given for some practices.
Toria
Sep 03, 2018 rated it it was ok
Covers the standard intro material on lucid dreaming and yoga, didn't add much for me since I've read all that before. Nice cover though.
Mary
Jul 01, 2018 rated it liked it
It was ok up until it was discussing seeing yourself as a deity. Had a good chunk on physics, atoms, and I wasn't quite clear on how it related to lucid dreaming.
Valeria Messalina
Jun 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book has been a valuable tool as I delve into the intricacies of the mind and my own self-possession.
Tania
Sep 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Excellent explanation an a greta way to start dream yoga
Boson
I loved the insights thats brings Dream Yoga and Buddhism to lucid-dreaming.
Althought, the part on lucid-dreaming itself felt a bit redudant with Stephen LaBerge's book.
Nick
Sep 30, 2015 rated it liked it
The book opens with Samatha instruction. That is, calming or tranquility meditation. The idea being that settling the mind and body helps lay groundwork for becoming lucid. The rest of the first half explains lucid dreaming, with many references to Stephen LaBerge's work. Wallace provides outline summations throughout. Potential lucid dreamers should keep in mind it "is an unusual skill based on establishing habits that may not be a normal part of your lifestyle". Overall the first half is solid ...more
Heather Finlayson
Feb 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I read this book over the past couple of months and plan to re-read it again almost immediately. Incredible combination and condensation of teachings that for me were originally experienced separately and over a span of about 18 years. This may turn out to be my go-to manual for the next 18 years of practice! It was truly WOW.

Alan Wallace does a great job of writing a very practical book. Part One gives clear explanation for training in remaining lucid during the dream state. Part Two contains
Cass
Sep 18, 2013 rated it liked it
Reading this short book before bed actually made my dreaming experiences better. This was a platform for such multidimensional subject. I appreciated the view of how you can use these dreaming techniques to learn more about yourself, as pathways to discover deeper emotions and 'insight' (as titled) to your waking life. I feel now there is so much more to know and, after years of experience, so much more to discover.
Mo Tahmasbi
Aug 30, 2016 rated it liked it
Compared to another book, Mastering Astral Projection: 90-day Guide to Out-of-Body Experience, this book is even more scientific and rational. It also presented some cool techniques to keep lucid dreams going, which I hope I can use to further discover dream world.
Jenny
Oct 31, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
Meh, meh, meh. For an interesting topic, this presentation is far too elitist and the authors insistence that his topic is not taken seriously enough by the scientific community becomes boring quickly. ...more
Julián Hidalgo
Jan 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Practical and concise

I liked the step by step instructions. It's not required to have a "spiritual" interest to make use of the book or enjoy it, using the mind as a playground is also enough. Some useful ideas scattered around too.
M
Mar 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A great book. Excellent and clear instruction.
Sleeping Waiting
Apr 10, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: gave-up
i don't reallly get it so its a bit confusing for me
Nicholas Ghezzi
Aug 05, 2015 rated it it was ok
I think some people may find this book helpful.
Giovanni Ranzo
Jan 19, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: dream
Some interesting meditation practices, but I was expecting much more.

• Exploring the World of Lucid Dreaming
  • Lifespan: Why We Age—and Why We Don't Have To
  • The Tibetan Yogas Of Dream And Sleep
  • A Field Guide to Lucid Dreaming: Mastering the Art of Oneironautics
  • Advanced Lucid Dreaming: The Power of Supplements
  • The Mind Illuminated: A Complete Meditation Guide Integrating Buddhist Wisdom and Brain Science
  • Extraordinary Knowing: Science, Skepticism, and the Inexplicable Powers of the Human Mind
  • Lucid Dreaming: Gateway to the Inner Self
  • Cutting Through Spiritual Materialism
  • The Society of the Spectacle
  • Old New York: Four Novellas
  • The Drifting Classroom: Perfect Edition, Vol. 1
  • Gli ultimi giorni di Immanuel Kant
  • Altered Traits: Science Reveals How Meditation Changes Your Mind, Brain, and Body
  • Lucid Dreaming: Lucid Dreaming Secrets, The Best Lucid Dreaming Tips and Techniques You Wish You Knew (LUCID DREAMING SERIES)
  • Why Buddhism is True: The Science and Philosophy of Meditation and Enlightenment
  • Stillness Is the Key