Start by marking “Ernest Hemingway on Writing” as Want to Read:
Ernest Hemingway on Writing

Ernest Hemingway on Writing

Ernest Hemingway's astonishing influence on American fiction has long been recognized by literary critics and casual readers alike. His unique style, as well as the themes he developed and the characters he created, have been studied, analyzed, and imitated by countless writers. Throughout his life, Hemingway maintained that it was bad luck to talk or write about his art; ...more
Published October 1st 1984 by Scribner Book Company (first published June 1st 1984)

Start your review of Ernest Hemingway on Writing
David Lentz
May 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Everyone who writes would do well to read this short volume and understand the methods by which Hemingway achieves power, clarity and the trademark rough lyrical beauty of his work. He projected his entire being into his work by seeking simply to write one true sentence after another. If the writing didn't click, then he would re-read and edit after the sentence at which the writing ceased to be true. He was the master of monosyllabic words opting always for clarity and superior realism based up ...more
Ammar
May 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2017
A glimpse into the psyche and mental preparation of a writer, and not any writer, but Hemingway himself.

Beautiful segments and quotations that make you think about writing, the process, why writers read, etc
Roxana Saberi
Dec 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing
After reading "A Sun Also Rises," "A Moveable Feast," "The Paris Wife," and "For Whom the Bell Tolls," I have become so enthralled with Ernest Hemingway's writing that I had to get this book. So far, so great. It offers many useful tips for writers.

Here's a good one: "Remember to get the weather into your god damned book--weather is very important." (1932, Hemingway) I need to work on that one.

Here's another one: "You see I'm trying in all my stories to get the feeling of the actual life across-
J.C.
Jan 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, writing
I have read quite a few books about the art of writing, and what I've observed overtime is that, really, it's best to get advice from those that have done it their whole lives, instead of college professors and other pseudo-intellectuals. Hemingway, or Papa, as some call him, has a lot of opinions and thoughts on writing in here, but not a whole lot of advice. Which is fine, cause after a while you begin to agree with him: that talking about writing ruins the magic of it, ruins the drive. It's b ...more
Jason
Dec 10, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a neat glimpse into the mind of a legendary author. You really get a sense of his inner musings as well as his character. There are tidbits of fascinating information in here regarding his novels and other work.

What I liked most about this was that you get a sense of the humanness of Hemingway. You see the flaws in his writing (literally - in many of his letters there are grammatical and spelling errors) which can provide a sort of comfort to anyone (myself included) who dreams of writ
Michael
Dec 27, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: on-writing
I felt like a voyeur reading this book. Hemingway expressly stated that he did not want anyone to publish his letters, yet here we have a collection of Hemingways' thoughts on writing as collected in his novels and correspondences. There was even a section where the letters were to his publisher, stating that he did not want his letters published; so the editor of this book is highly aware of the wishes, yet for some reason we have this book. I'm glad I got to know Hemingway a bit better, but I ...more
Sidharth Vardhan
Feb 15, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, 8-usa, nobel

"Mice: What is the best early training for a writer?

Y.C.: An unhappy childhood."

Darn! I will never become a good writer.
Katie Marquette
Jul 24, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
For Hemingway fans - this is a must own. For aspiring writers - also, a must have. Full of Hemingway's personal letters, sections from his books... My two favorite letters speak for themselves :

---

In a letter to Malcolm Cowley in 1945 he wrote:

Been working every day and going good. Makes a hell of a dull life too. But it is more fun than anything else. Do you remember how old Ford was always writing how Conrad suffered when he wrote? How it was un metier du chien [a dog's trade:] etc. Do you su
Milda Stasaitytė
Feb 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The most essential gift for a good writer is a built-in, shock proof shit detector. This is the writer’s radar and all great writers have had it.
from GEORGE PLIMPTON, “An Interview with Ernest Hemingway”
The Paris Review 18, 1958

In the world of tutorials and How-to literature and overall discourse, this is as close as I can get to it and still enjoy it.

Simply put, all this book offers is excerpts from Hemingway’s letters to fellow writers, critics and friends as well as interviews, structured th
C.G. Fewston
May 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing

Some of my favorite quotes taken from Ernest Hemingway on Writing, edited by Larry W. Phillips. I hope you enjoy them as much as I do.

- - -

QUOTES by HEMINGWAY

In truly good writing no matter how many times you read it you do not know how it is done. That is because there is a mystery in all great writing and that mystery does not dis-sect out. It continues and it is always valid. Each time you re-read you see or learn something new.
To Harvey Breit, 1952
(page 5)

All my life I've looked at words a
Tariq Said
Aug 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have learned a decent amount from this novel. The letters that Hemingway wrote to his colleagues and friends cleared the invisible fog surrounding the definition of the difference between good and bad writing. I enjoyed reading this book and found myself surprised at the sincerity Hemingway has in his letters, a very genuine author. He wanted to be the best author and competed against those whose legacies were secured (the dead) and avoided competing with the living. His writing was as true as ...more
Janet
Feb 25, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this little book. You really see the man here--astonishing warts and all--but I love his pugilistic take on writing fiction. Laughs galore, both with and at, and lots of useful insights in how to BE a writer and keep ego up.
JDR
Mar 27, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The problem here does not really have anything to do with Ernest Hemingway, but more of a referendum on what you expect to get out of this novel. Now, having seen that ironically Hemingway doesn't like to talk about writing, I was wondering how this book ended up being created and it was to my catastrophic disappointment that it was a collection of quotes from previous published works of his. In other words, why did I spend $7 on a book that just took out pieces from Hemingway's actual books? Ye ...more
Jay
Apr 28, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hemingway
Hemingway lived to write. His eventual failing as a writer—his inability to actually write—is one of the several reasons that led to his suicide in 1961. What he did write for the most part and for much of his life was superior and often innovative seen even from the perspective of the twenty-first century. It was not merely that Hemingway was a gifted writer but he also had a profound impact on a generation of writers who cut their teeth in imitation of or in reaction to his works.

In spite of t
Răzvan Molea
Puțin cam dezamăgit. Speram la mai multe ”lămuriri” (asupra stilului). Editorul a făcut ceva eforturi ca să treacă de pragul de 100 de pagini.
Sunt totuși câteva reflecții (fiindcă în asta constă cartea) de care nu auzisem:

“Nobody really knows or understands and nobody has ever said the secret. The secret is that it is poetry written into prose and it is the hardest of all things to do…” - am citit destul de atent să aflu că așa e - către Mary Hemingway (scrisori)

”Look how it is at the start—all
Peter Murray
Jul 14, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hemingway did not write on writing, thinking to do so siphoned off that precious, magical material from which the highest expression comes. So this book is a collection of tidbits that the great writer dropped and left behind in books and letters (most of them to F. Scott Fitzgerald). But through this collection of on-the-moment projectiles you come away with actually having known the man's mind on the craft. He's a man who tries to achieve truth through simplicity, economy. And so in these simp ...more
Carol
May 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: writing, hemingway
This book contains Hemingway's reflections on the nature of the writer and on elements of the writer's life, including specific and helpful advice to writers on the craft of writing, work habits, and discipline. The Hemingway personality comes through in general wisdom, wit, humor, and insight, and in his insistence on the integrity of the writer and of the profession itself.
Jessica Shelley
May 14, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
Quick and insightful read full of lots of quotes that I have tabbed and will try to remember when writing. His overall approach to writing was very inspiring and I will be flicking through this book whenever I need some motivation/inspiration.
Kris Rafferty
Dec 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you choose to read one book on writing, this should be the one.
Gabriele
Jul 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book so much that now I am considering reading some of his stuff. Feel free to recommend a good one to start :)

Some quotes I liked:

"...writing is something that you can never do as well as it can be done. It is a perpetual challenge and it is more difficult than anything else that I have ever done—so I do it. And it makes me happy when I do it well."

"Interviewer: But reading all the good writers might discourage you.
Hemingway: Then you ought to be discouraged."

"Hunger is good disci
Teodora Todorova
The book is collection of quotes which normally I don't enjoy reading - usually these are randomly selected and out of context. This is the case here as well. Although the editor arranged the book by themes like "Working hours", "Characters", etc it still feels random.
I have found few quotes that made sense for me but overall I didn't learn much on the Mr. Hemingway's opinion on writing.
It is true that he never wrote a book (like On Writing by Stephen King for example) so may be to certain ext
Johnny
Mar 05, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Funny how many times Hemingway mentioned in this collection how he was not so fond of the idea of his letters being published, yet here they are. Definitely some great insights into writing and into the life of one of America's greatest writers. The editing wasn't great and overall it was mostly boring little excerpts from his writing with bits of gold tucked here and there. It was boring, but luckily it was also short.
Mark Fallon
Jan 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After touring Hemingway's house, I picked up this book at a local Key West bookstore. Straightforward, blunt writing about writing. His letters to F. Scott Fitzgerald border on being harsh.

To be honest, I don't remember really liking Hemingway's novels, but that was almost 40 years ago. Perhaps I was too young to appreciate them. Will go back and try one again.
Börkur Sigurbjörnsson
There were some good points scattered throughout the book, but quite short of awesome.
Dario Rebernik
Apr 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An essential piece of writing for anybody interested in Hemingway's style, both in living life and writing literature. This book is not only a Hemingway companion. It is a life companion.
David
One Mouse among many Mice (what Hemingway calls a young writer), asks how a writer can train himself. Hemingway responds, Listen now. When people talk listen completely. Don't be thinking what you're going to say. Even if many of these correspondences, interviews and articles contain verbiage that's difficult to understand, at first, because, if it's not being taken from his fiction, they're not an attempt at prose (I just like to pretend that Big Poppa Ernie is imitating a rounder Yoda), this h ...more
Srivatsan Sridharan
You may or may not like Hemingway's writing or his personality, but there is no denying that he is one of the most celebrated writers of our era. If you're a budding writer looking for advice, then who better to learn from than a man who won a Nobel Prize in literature and wrote such heart-warming stories like A Farewell to Arms. Though Hemingway was known to shy away from doing interviews or talking about writing (he considered it bad luck to talk about writing), he said a lot of things about t ...more
Dylan Perry
Oct 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: best-of-2016
"All good books are alike in that they are truer than if they really happened and after you are finished reading one you feel that it all happened to you and after which it all belongs to you; the good and the bad, the ecstasy, the remorse and sorrow, the people and the places and how the weather was."

This is one of the quotes that grabbed me most and made me stop and think. That's all. Just stop and ponder for a bit. It happened a lot with this book.

I wasn't planning on reading this. Hell, it w
Siobhán Mc Laughlin
5 star advice from one of my favourite writers on writing, but 4 star unimaginative presentation from the publishers. (A better font would have been nice, as well as better sub-headings and a bit of background to the extracts wouldn't have gone astray...)

But saying that there are some real gems here stamped with Hemingway's characteristic wit and humour and irrepressible spirit. If you like your writing advice upfront and blunt, then you'll enjoy this. In my opinion no other writer can get acro
Scott
Apr 19, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is actually a collection of snippets gathered from EH's novels, letters and interviews, by Larry Phillips, whoever he is. There. That's sufficiently muddled to give you a good idea of what exactly my opinion is worth.
I'm going to have to confess that I've tried and tried to like Hemingway, but I just don't.
Having said that, some of the things he says about writing seem true and occasionally helpful to keep in mind (especially if you're a writer during the 20's, 30's and 40's).
I still don
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• Zen in the Art of Writing
  • On Writing
  • The Great Mental Models, Volume 2: Physics, Chemistry and Biology
  • The Underground History of American Education: An Intimate Investigation Into the Prison of Modern Schooling
  • Stein on Writing: A Master Editor of Some of the Most Successful Writers of Our Century Shares His Craft Techniques and Strategies
  • The End of Night: Searching for Natural Darkness in an Age of Artificial Light
  • Revolt Against the Modern World
  • Genç Yazarlar İçin Hikaye Anlatıcılığı Kılavuzu
  • Anti-Tech Revolution: Why and How
  • Way Of The Samurai
  • On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft
  • Negotiating with the Dead
  • The Elements of Style
  • Palm Sunday: An Autobiographical Collage
  • Murder Your Darlings: And Other Gentle Writing Advice from Aristotle to Zinsser
  • Bird by Bird: Some Instructions on Writing and Life
  • How to Write a Sentence: And How to Read One
  • Ned til hundene

News & Interviews

“Mice: What is the best early training for a writer?

Y.C.: An unhappy childhood.”
50 likes
“Don't let yourself slip and get any perfect characters... keep them people, people, people, and don't let them get to be symbols.” 20 likes