Start by marking “Moon Signs (Moon Mystery #1)” as Want to Read:
Moon Signs (Moon Mystery #1)

Moon Signs

(Moon Mystery #1)

Retirement is a time for knitting, gardening, and an occasional quiet lunch with friends, according to Kathleen Williamson. Her sister Andrea has an altogether different point of view. When the sisters go to the Canaan Valley to search for paintings mentioned in a document found in an old hotel once owned by their grandparents-paintings that might be Monets-Andrea immediat ...more
Published October 10th 2011 by CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform (first published October 6th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Moon Signs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Moon Signs

Start your review of Moon Signs (Moon Mystery #1)
Kylie D
3.5 Stars

A fun little cozy that sees two retired sisters visiting a hotel that formerly belonged to their grandparents in a skiing resort town in West Virginia. They are hoping to find the whereabouts of two Monet paintings they believe to be in the hotel, but soon after they arrive their hostess is murdered. The two intrepid sisters then go about snooping in the hope of finding the murderer, soon suspecting everyone staying at the hotel at one point or another.

I found this to be an easy read,
Sally Beaudean
Feb 15, 2014 rated it liked it
Moon Signs is a ""sweet" little mystery story told from the point of view of an old woman (my age!). I guess the best thing about the character is that I could not identify with her -- seriously, acrylic sweaters and polyester pants? It's a quick read with murders to be solved and several possible suspects -- but it's not one of my favorites.
Kathy
Jun 22, 2015 rated it it was ok
Likable characters. Reasonable plot-line. Kept my interest in wanting to find out the ending. But, the dialogue felt stiff and unnatural. Emotions fell flat.
Tammy
Jan 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What an adorable book! Such a fun read with mystery, suspense, a little romance and so much more. Very short read (121 pages). Recommended for everyone!
Debra
Sisters Kathleen and Andrea are delighted to be visiting their niece Maggie who works at the Alpenhof Hotel near a ski resort in West Virginia. The hotel once belonged to their grandparents who allegedly owned two Monet paintings that disappeared over the years. Kathleen is determined to find the paintings, however they receive a cold welcome from the hotel’s co-owner Olga. When Olga is murdered it becomes clear that none of the hotel staff are grief stricken, including her brother and co-owner ...more
Alison
Jul 24, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
2.5 stars, but I rounded up because I've read much worse. It's a cozy mystery, but even then it's overly simplistic throughout, both in the characters and in the unnecessary repetition. A scene happens and is then described immediately in detail by one character to another. Still, at least the characters are generally likable.
Erth
Oct 01, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
now i am hooked. This was such a great, easy and creative book. i was hooked after the first page.

The characters were easy to fall in love with and follow, along with the story. the author made the mental visions so easy and vivid of the surroundings and the characters actions felt so real.

i would highly recommend this author and this book.
Joyce ☘ clutteredbooks ☘
2.5*

Not the best mystery there is but I adored the sisters. There were times when I couldn't help but ask if it was possible for a 60-year old woman to do certain things but I guess if it were a healthy old woman, it was possible!
Meg
Sep 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a pretty good, quick cozy. Set during a cold winter in the mountains of West Virginia. In some ways it may have been a little simplistic in that I had a good idea, pretty quickly, who were guilty, but it was still a decent read. Rating 3.5*.
Joan
Mar 16, 2013 rated it it was ok
I loved the main characters, but the story was a bit disappointing.
Rhonda Martin
Aug 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I immediately fell in love with the two sisters in this story Kathleen and Andrea. Two older ladies, one a little adventurous , the other a little nosy. Trust me you will love them both. While on a trip together to find their family treasure Kathleen and Andrea stay at a hotel where a murder is committed. With some wit and a little bit of nosiness they help solve the mystery murder in the small town of Canaan Village.
I just loved the way this book was written. I immediately was drawn into the l
Jan
Dec 13, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, american
This is a murder mystery set in the mountains of West Virginia at a ski resort; two sixty-something sisters assist the small police force in solving the case.

I particularly enjoyed the descriptions of the West Virginia mountains in winter as well as the delightful old hotel they stayed in. It had originally been a boarding house for loggers in the early 20th century, so it was rustic and sparse. It reminded me of the Red Mountain Lodge and Elk Mountain Lodge in Marble, Colorado and Crested Butte
Jeannie Walker
Dec 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
I loved the writing in this novel. Here are two retired senior sisters who take a winter vacation to look for paintings that were mentioned in a document. They go to a ski resort that was owned by a relative. One sister is a little on the nosy side. The adventure starts when the sisters discover a body on the first night at the ski resort. Could the paintings they search for have anything to do with the murder? This is a great who-done-it murder mystery novel that has interesting characters and ...more
Therese
Retired sisters, Andrea Flynn and Kathleen Williamson are not typical retirees, but then who are these days? Having heard that their grandparents had bought two paintings by Monet at the turn-of-the-century, they decide to go to the hotel that they used to own to see if they can find out whatever happened to the paintings. They found murder rather than Monet, and while the story was entertaining enough, it was lacking something, not to mention seemed prejudicial against “foreigners”. Kathleen te ...more
pam laporte
Oct 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyed a mystery with women my age

Most books are full of young people which is fun to read...like taking a trip back in time. I immerse myself in a book and feel I am there. I love romance ,mystety,supernatural, make believe, science fiction: you name it, I love it.
This is about two older sisters who want to find two miners that their grandparents supposedly bought. Their grandparents owned a hotel years ago and they went to check it out and see if maybe the pictures might be there.
The
Jen Lynn
I'm pretty sure the reason I wasn't a huge fan of this one was mostly because of the genre, not because of the writing. I don't think I'm a fan of the cozy mystery genre. To me it seemed like a couple of somewhat older women who were being very nosy. The mystery was a bit boring to me, and the ending was just so-so. It was only "ok" for a book. I didn't hate it, but a weak mystery starring nosy old women is just not my taste I guess.
Laurie Delaney
Jun 21, 2015 rated it liked it
This is a fun mystery that I used to "cleanse my palette" between to more in-depth books. I recommend that you read this book in the same way. I have recently read the phrase "cozy mystery" and I think it applies here. Not too taxing, not bloody or gross, just a nice quiet hotel and ski area. Enjoy it for fun, as I will enjoy the next book in the series when I need a cleanser!
Gail Jenson Roach
This simple who-dun-it was a fun read. The characters are a bit flat and the story fairly predictable. The secondary story about the grandparents' ownership of the hotel and the mystery paintings is convenient and not developed enough.

I would still read others in the series for simple entertainment.
Ruth Ferguson
Unfortunately I knew from the beginning I would find this book a struggle because i found the narrators voice very very very irritating. On top of things the quality was at times horrific with the volume going up and down.

The story was fine and about 60% of the way in I could focus more on the story with less annoyance.
Ginger Weirich
A delightful "cozy" mystery right down to the chocolate chip cookie recipe. Two "little old ladies" solving murders in a ski resort area of West Virginia. It was a cute tale, a "freebie" from Amazon, and I might read more provided they also come free. 3.5 stars.
Sharon Michael
Jun 03, 2012 rated it liked it
Entertaining cozy set in a ski resort with two older sisters as the main protagonists, sensible and well developed characters and nicely established plotline.
Castlerock
Feb 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very easy reading. Enjoyed it very much
Birgit
Dec 04, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
When retirees Kathleen Williamson and her sister Andrea hear from their niece Maggie that she found information on two paintings which might be Monets in the hotel she works in, and which was at one time owned by their grandparents, the sisters decide to visit the Canaan Valley, see their niece and look for those paintings. When they find the body of one of the hotel owners on their first evening, they both get entangled in the murder investigation.
An interesting plot, to be sure, but unfortunat
Susan
Apr 21, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Mildly entertaining story of two sisters in their 60s, which was a nice change. Kathleen, the younger slightly ditzy one, is the narrator. She tends to rely on her older more logical sister Andrea much of the time. They visit a ski hotel formerly owned by their grandparents in West Virginia. Their niece works there as a skiing instructor, as do a man from their home town and his new wife (handyman and cleaner.) Andrea wants to ski, but Kathleen's primary interest is to look for two Monet paintin ...more
Linda
There is nothing wrong with this book if you like wholesome stories starring two sisters in their early 60's, sleuthing to find a murderer. Andrea is the older sister by a few years and a retired math teacher, never married. Kathleen is a bit younger and widowed and appears to have been sheltered and with no mind of her own. She is always referring to Andrea and is always hungry, cold, or somewhere in between. I read the book as a free selection of the month and enjoyed it. I thought I'd like to ...more
DR
Aug 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed reading about women in their 60s navigating life after retirement or after losing a spouse. Andrea (single never married) and Kathleen (widow), her sister, travel to the hotel once owned by their grandparents in pursuit of different things; R&R for Andrea who will enjoy visiting with her niece or Kathleen's hunt for two precious Monet paintings. The author's depiction of the sisters, tying their hoods and holding on to each other as they maneuver through the snow was perfect. I enjoyed ...more
Kathy Averbeck
Sometimes I just like to read a short book and this one sounded interesting. I'm hesitant to read book #1 in a series because they often leave one hanging at the end, but this book had a satisfying ending. The heroines of this book are two 60-something women, sisters, so I relate to them. I enjoyed traveling to a ski area in West Virginia with them. I did get a little confused remembering some of the characters that were introduced early in the book, then no mention of them, then when their name ...more
Chazzi
Jul 29, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sisters Kathleen Williamson and Andrea Flynn are on their way to visit their niece, Maggie Flynn, who is working at the Alpenhof hotel in Canaan Valley. Their grandparents owned the hotel at one point in time, and Maggie has made some interesting discoveries about the grandparents.

Kathleen and Andrea’s welcome by the owner is about as icy as the weather outside. Later that evening, the sisters find that owner dead behind the front desk.

Canaan Valley has become a popular ski destination for many
Michael Wood
Sep 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
West Virginia, Murder, Mayhem, Two Elder "Detectives"

Helen Haught Fanick has created a rural murder mystery starring two lovely elder sisters as amateur detectives. The ski slope setting makes a very interesting juxtaposition for two women in their sixties. There is a good depiction of the (very real) conflicts between the long-time residents and the new winter skiers that come up from Washington (and buy up the property). I think that Fanick excells with her descriptions of the various characte
Kathryn Partin
Oct 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Keeps you guessinh

The story line kept you on your toes. I love how the sisters compliment each other while working to solve the mystery. Just when you think you have it figured out the author throws a curve in your way. Looking forward to more of her writings. I kept thinking about the story and turning the clues around in my mind when I wasn't able to actually sit down to read.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• At Wits' End (A Wits' End Cozy Mystery #1)
  • Humpty Bumpkin (Country Cousin #1)
  • The Eleventh Hour (Poppy McGuire Mysteries Book 1)
  • The Fear Hunter
  • Murder in Cannes (Maggie Newberry Mysteries, #10)
  • Mutts & Murder (Dog Town USA #1)
  • Steeped in Murder: A Tea and Tarot Cozy Mystery
  • The Fruit of Lies: A Chautauqua Murder Mystery
  • Springtime for Murder (Sophie Sayers Village Mysteries #5)
  • Reservation with Death (The Park Hotel Mysteries #1)
  • The Wickenham Murders
  • Deadly Ashes (Skegness Seaside #3)
  • Skeletons in the Closet (The Misadventures of the Laundry Hag, #1)
  • Best Murder in Show (Sophie Sayers Village Mystery #1)
  • In for a Penny (Seasoned Southern Sleuths Cozy Mystery Book #1)
  • Clouds in My Coffee (The Country Club Murders #3)
  • Scraps of Paper (Spookie Town Murder Mystery, #1)
  • The Obituary Society (The Obituary Society, #1)
Helen Haught Fanick is a member of a large family of writers. Her mother published many children's stories, her brother is a newspaper editor and nonfiction writer, her son is a successful mystery novelist, and nearly everyone else in the family writes poetry or short stories.

Helen grew up in West Virginia and now lives in Texas, and both states provide settings for her novels. Her work includes c

Moon Mystery (6 books)
  • Moonlight Mayhem
  • Hunter's Moon (Moon Mystery Series, #3)
  • Moonflowers: Book IV of the Moon Mystery Series
  • Evil Under the Moon (Moon Mystery Series Book 5)
  • Blue Moon, Black Heart (Moon Mystery, #6)

News & Interviews

“do we ever know what someone else is capable of?” 0 likes
“Math teachers, even retired ones, have that air of authority that’s effective against the Davids of the world.” 0 likes