Start by marking “Moon Signs (Moon Mystery #1)” as Want to Read:
Moon Signs (Moon Mystery #1)

Moon Signs

(Moon Mystery #1)

Retirement is a time for knitting, gardening, and an occasional quiet lunch with friends, according to Kathleen Williamson. Her sister Andrea has an altogether different point of view. When the sisters go to the Canaan Valley to search for paintings mentioned in a document found in an old hotel once owned by their grandparents-paintings that might be Monets-Andrea immediat ...more
Published October 10th 2011 by CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform (first published October 6th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Moon Signs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Moon Signs

Kylie D
3.5 Stars
A fun little cozy that sees two retired sisters visiting a hotel that formerly belonged to their grandparents in a skiing resort town in West Virginia. They are hoping to find the whereabouts of two Monet paintings they believe to be in the hotel, but soon after they arrive their hostess is murdered. The two intrepid sisters then go about snooping in the hope of finding the murderer, soon suspecting everyone staying at the hotel at one point or another.
I found this to be an easy read,
Kathy
Jun 22, 2015 rated it it was ok
Likable characters. Reasonable plot-line. Kept my interest in wanting to find out the ending. But, the dialogue felt stiff and unnatural. Emotions fell flat.
Alison
Jul 24, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
2.5 stars, but I rounded up because I've read much worse. It's a cozy mystery, but even then it's overly simplistic throughout, both in the characters and in the unnecessary repetition. A scene happens and is then described immediately in detail by one character to another. Still, at least the characters are generally likable.
Kathleen
2.5*

Not the best mystery there is but I adored the sisters. There were times when I couldn't help but ask if it was possible for a 60-year old woman to do certain things but I guess if it were a healthy old woman, it was possible!
Meg
Sep 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a pretty good, quick cozy. Set during a cold winter in the mountains of West Virginia. In some ways it may have been a little simplistic in that I had a good idea, pretty quickly, who were guilty, but it was still a decent read. Rating 3.5*.
Joan
Mar 16, 2013 rated it it was ok
I loved the main characters, but the story was a bit disappointing.
Rhonda Martin
Aug 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I immediately fell in love with the two sisters in this story Kathleen and Andrea. Two older ladies, one a little adventurous , the other a little nosy. Trust me you will love them both. While on a trip together to find their family treasure Kathleen and Andrea stay at a hotel where a murder is committed. With some wit and a little bit of nosiness they help solve the mystery murder in the small town of Canaan Village.
I just loved the way this book was written. I immediately was drawn into the l
Debra
Sisters Kathleen and Andrea are delighted to be visiting their niece Maggie who works at the Alpenhof Hotel near a ski resort in West Virginia. The hotel once belonged to their grandparents who allegedly owned two Monet paintings that disappeared over the years. Kathleen is determined to find the paintings, however they receive a cold welcome from the hotel’s co-owner Olga. When Olga is murdered it becomes clear that none of the hotel staff are grief stricken, including her brother and co-owner ...more
Jeannie Walker
Dec 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
I loved the writing in this novel. Here are two retired senior sisters who take a winter vacation to look for paintings that were mentioned in a document. They go to a ski resort that was owned by a relative. One sister is a little on the nosy side. The adventure starts when the sisters discover a body on the first night at the ski resort. Could the paintings they search for have anything to do with the murder? This is a great who-done-it murder mystery novel that has interesting characters and ...more
Therese
Retired sisters, Andrea Flynn and Kathleen Williamson are not typical retirees, but then who are these days? Having heard that their grandparents had bought two paintings by Monet at the turn-of-the-century, they decide to go to the hotel that they used to own to see if they can find out whatever happened to the paintings. They found murder rather than Monet, and while the story was entertaining enough, it was lacking something, not to mention seemed prejudicial against “foreigners”. Kathleen te ...more
Jan
Dec 13, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, american
This is a murder mystery set in the mountains of West Virginia at a ski resort; two sixty-something sisters assist the small police force in solving the case.

I particularly enjoyed the descriptions of the West Virginia mountains in winter as well as the delightful old hotel they stayed in. It had originally been a boarding house for loggers in the early 20th century, so it was rustic and sparse. It reminded me of the Red Mountain Lodge and Elk Mountain Lodge in Marble, Colorado and Crested Butte
Jen Lynn
I'm pretty sure the reason I wasn't a huge fan of this one was mostly because of the genre, not because of the writing. I don't think I'm a fan of the cozy mystery genre. To me it seemed like a couple of somewhat older women who were being very nosy. The mystery was a bit boring to me, and the ending was just so-so. It was only "ok" for a book. I didn't hate it, but a weak mystery starring nosy old women is just not my taste I guess.
Ruth Ferguson
Unfortunately I knew from the beginning I would find this book a struggle because i found the narrators voice very very very irritating. On top of things the quality was at times horrific with the volume going up and down.

The story was fine and about 60% of the way in I could focus more on the story with less annoyance.
Gail Jenson Roach
This simple who-dun-it was a fun read. The characters are a bit flat and the story fairly predictable. The secondary story about the grandparents' ownership of the hotel and the mystery paintings is convenient and not developed enough.

I would still read others in the series for simple entertainment.
Erth
Oct 01, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
now i am hooked. This was such a great, easy and creative book. i was hooked after the first page.

The characters were easy to fall in love with and follow, along with the story. the author made the mental visions so easy and vivid of the surroundings and the characters actions felt so real.

i would highly recommend this author and this book.
Laurie Delaney
Jun 21, 2015 rated it liked it
This is a fun mystery that I used to "cleanse my palette" between to more in-depth books. I recommend that you read this book in the same way. I have recently read the phrase "cozy mystery" and I think it applies here. Not too taxing, not bloody or gross, just a nice quiet hotel and ski area. Enjoy it for fun, as I will enjoy the next book in the series when I need a cleanser!
Sally Beaudean
Feb 15, 2014 rated it liked it
Moon Signs is a ""sweet" little mystery story told from the point of view of an old woman (my age!). I guess the best thing about the character is that I could not identify with her -- seriously, acrylic sweaters and polyester pants? It's a quick read with murders to be solved and several possible suspects -- but it's not one of my favorites.
Ginger Weirich
A delightful "cozy" mystery right down to the chocolate chip cookie recipe. Two "little old ladies" solving murders in a ski resort area of West Virginia. It was a cute tale, a "freebie" from Amazon, and I might read more provided they also come free. 3.5 stars.
Sharon Michael
Jun 03, 2012 rated it liked it
Entertaining cozy set in a ski resort with two older sisters as the main protagonists, sensible and well developed characters and nicely established plotline.
Castlerock
Feb 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very easy reading. Enjoyed it very much
Birgit
Dec 04, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
When retirees Kathleen Williamson and her sister Andrea hear from their niece Maggie that she found information on two paintings which might be Monets in the hotel she works in, and which was at one time owned by their grandparents, the sisters decide to visit the Canaan Valley, see their niece and look for those paintings. When they find the body of one of the hotel owners on their first evening, they both get entangled in the murder investigation.
An interesting plot, to be sure, but unfortunat
Linda
There is nothing wrong with this book if you like wholesome stories starring two sisters in their early 60's, sleuthing to find a murderer. Andrea is the older sister by a few years and a retired math teacher, never married. Kathleen is a bit younger and widowed and appears to have been sheltered and with no mind of her own. She is always referring to Andrea and is always hungry, cold, or somewhere in between. I read the book as a free selection of the month and enjoyed it. I thought I'd like to ...more
pam laporte
Oct 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyed a mystery with women my age

Most books are full of young people which is fun to read...like taking a trip back in time. I immerse myself in a book and feel I am there. I love romance ,mystety,supernatural, make believe, science fiction: you name it, I love it.
This is about two older sisters who want to find two miners that their grandparents supposedly bought. Their grandparents owned a hotel years ago and they went to check it out and see if maybe the pictures might be there.
The
Michael Wood
Sep 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
West Virginia, Murder, Mayhem, Two Elder "Detectives"

Helen Haught Fanick has created a rural murder mystery starring two lovely elder sisters as amateur detectives. The ski slope setting makes a very interesting juxtaposition for two women in their sixties. There is a good depiction of the (very real) conflicts between the long-time residents and the new winter skiers that come up from Washington (and buy up the property). I think that Fanick excells with her descriptions of the various characte
Kathryn Partin
Oct 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Keeps you guessinh

The story line kept you on your toes. I love how the sisters compliment each other while working to solve the mystery. Just when you think you have it figured out the author throws a curve in your way. Looking forward to more of her writings. I kept thinking about the story and turning the clues around in my mind when I wasn't able to actually sit down to read.
Helen
Sep 17, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book. The characters were well-drawn and interesting, and the setting was attractive. The mystery was quite well done. However, the one issue that didn't seem to fit was the protagonist's occasional dragging of the phases of the moon into the story. Unnecessary, and silly, in my view.
Elaine Bidstrup
Two older (somehow 65 doesn't seem so old) sisters visit their niece in the Canaan Valley of West Virginia where bodies are beginning to pile up. Can the sisters help? You know they will try, though. Any number of eccentric characters seem like they could be the murderer, including a man who wants to keep anyone who is not from West Virginia out of the Canaan Valley ski area. And will Andrea, the older sister, finally begin dating the handsome sheriff?
Bernadette Hutton
Fantastic read

5 stars as this book was a good easy read. Just sit back on a nice summer's day and lose yourself in this. Nothing too strenuous. Liked the easy to follow storyline, no twists and turns to keep track of and I enjoyed the way everything just closes nicely. Even room to build into the next book. Sorry a cold drink in a warm sunny appreciating me.
Lu Fite
Oct 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A nice cozy read with plenty suspense

This is a wonderful book. I would recommend this story to anyone who like details aplenty. I like the setting, ski resort, the cold and snow and hot chocolate. The characters are great.
Ms Fanick winds the story around and back again to solve the mystery.
Sandra Kent
Oct 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sisters solving mystery

This is the first time I have read this author. Good story line. Liked the characters. It felt like the second or so in the story because of small character development. I will read the second. Two older sisters try to help solve the mystery of missing paintings and they discover a murder.
  • Cedardale Court
  • Hot Enough to Kill (The Jolene Jackson Mystery Series, #1)
  • The Death Contingency (Regan McHenry Real Estate Mysteries, #1)
  • Seasons of Death
  • Murder Passes the Buck (Gertie Johnson, #1)
  • The Paper Doll Museum
  • Large Target (Josephine Fuller, #2)
  • Past Imperfect
  • A Hint of Murder (A Hint of Murder #1-3)
  • Edited for Death (Amy Hobbes #1)
  • Icehotel
  • Mad Money
  • The Portrait of Doreene Gray
  • Zoned for Murder
  • The Concert Killer
  • Death on Tour (Jocelyn Shore, #1)
  • The Gathering Storm
  • Mass Murder (Giorgio Salvatori, #1)
Helen Haught Fanick is a member of a large family of writers. Her mother published many children's stories, her brother is a newspaper editor and nonfiction writer, her son is a successful mystery novelist, and nearly everyone else in the family writes poetry or short stories.

Helen grew up in West Virginia and now lives in Texas, and both states provide settings for her novels. Her work includes c

Moon Mystery (5 books)
  • Moonlight Mayhem
  • Hunter's Moon (Moon Mystery Series, #3)
  • Moonflowers: Book IV of the Moon Mystery Series
  • Evil Under the Moon (Moon Mystery Series Book 5)
“Math teachers, even retired ones, have that air of authority that’s effective against the Davids of the world.” 0 likes