Start by marking “The Night Things (Courtney Crumrin #1)” as Want to Read:
The Night Things (Courtney Crumrin #1)

The Night Things

(Courtney Crumrin #1)

Fan-favorite and critical darling Courtney Crumrin is back in a series of newly remastered, full-color hardcover editions! Courtney's parents have dragged her out to a high-to-do suburb to live with her creepy Great Uncle Aloysius in his spooky old house. She's not only the new kid in school, but also discovers strange things lurking under her bed!
Hardcover, Special Color Edition, 137 pages
Published April 24th 2012 by Oni Press (first published January 13th 2003)

Jim
Nov 06, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A nice horror graphic novel for kids that grown ups might like too. Its a good choice for a spooky bedtime story, well stories, since every issue its a diferent adventure for Courtney.
Colleen Venable
Jan 10, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
Any book where children occasionally get eaten by night creatures without any apologies by the author is okay in my book! Courtney is such a fantastic character. Wish I was half as badass as she is! (Though personally I am happy I have a nose. Why does she have no nose?! Why did I not even notice she didn't have a nose until someone pointed it out to me?!)
David
Mar 29, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: rude little girls, goblins, talking cats
This is a graphic novel series aimed at about a 12-year-old's level. Courtney Crumrin is a fairly stock character: the rude, precociously misanthropic little girl who's brought to a new town by her callow, grasping, negligent parents, where they stay for free in a rich great-uncle's mansion while trying to climb the social ladder. Courtney has no friends and doesn't fit in, but soon discovers that her Uncle Aloysius has some interesting books and more interesting hobbies, and that all kinds of g ...more
Dimitris
A nice read but unfortunately nothing more
Rachel (Kalanadi)
Aug 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: btat18, comics
I need more!
Skye Kilaen
A young adult graphic novel series that's also compelling for adults. (Or at least the adults in this house, who bought all seven full color hardbacks even though our library has them.) It begins when young Courtney goes to live with her uncle, a wizard, after her daffy parents finally run out of the ability to pretend they have lots of money. Turns out Courtney has some magical gifts of her own, and her uncle may be a much needed emotional connection for Courtney... or just another heartbreak.

T
Rose
Jan 12, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: dark fairy tales in graphic novel form
Recommended to Rose by: NetGalley, Oni Press
"Courtney Crumrin and the Night Things: Volume 1" is rife with dark humor and imaginative interactions, much of which I enjoyed for the most part. I wouldn't say it's the most engaging comic I've ever come across for its genre, but it is entertaining for an introductory read, and one I'd likely continue to see what happens.

The titular protagonist is a young girl who, along with her parents, goes to live with her strange, but oddly alluring uncle. From there, Courtney has to deal with a little mo
GrilledCheeseSamurai (Scott)
I don't know why it took me so long to read this. I mean, I knew who Courtney Crumrin was, I was aware of her existence, of this book(s), I was even intrigued. despite that, I just never took the time to actually read any of this series.

For some reason, the other day (I think it was actually a Comixology sale?) I all of a sudden found myself finally reading this. Even weirder - I found myself not only really enjoying it, but forcing myself to slow down and not read it all in one sitting. I wante
Seth T.
Sep 04, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
I had read the four chapters that comprise this initial volume of the adventures of Courtney Crumrin as they had originally appeared in single issues. I had found the series amusing but nothing spectacular. It's grim and fun, but shows little staying power.

Which is why it took me so long to review the collection.

I had purchased the first two volumes of the series in a fit of patriotism (participating in wild consumer endeavors is the best way to show ones support of the establishment). They've s
Daniel
Feb 28, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
Vrlo zabavn strip sa interesantnim stilom crtanja i jos interesantnijom pricom. Imamo cetiri epizode koje nas fino upoznaju sa svetom mada ne daje previse informcija nego ipak se mora samostalno razmisliti da bi se dobila cela slika.

Mada malo mi je smetalo sto prica u momentima ume da bude dosta mracna a da glavni lik bas i ne odreaguje sem da slegne ramenim (Axel i Alicia).

U svakom slucaju ako neko hoce horor za decu ovde je na pravoj adresi.
Mauoijenn ~ *Mouthy Jenn* ~
This was such a great graphic novel.
Written excellent with enough detail even for a gn. Very very good!! :)
Craig Phillips
Apr 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I LOVE this series. This, and Jeff Smith's Bone, really got me into comics. Huge fan of Ted's work. He is a gifted storyteller and artist and I look forward to reading his latest work.
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
Courtney Crumrin has a very informative preface by Kelly Crumrin, addressing the inherent scariness of childhood. It gave me something to think about. I know I was a kid that loved reading scary books, although I admit I did get a bit too scared a time or two. One part of his commentary that hit me hard was that he felt the collective conscious of children picked up on the real monsters that prey on children in the world. I didn't like to think about that, because I hate the idea of children bei ...more
Karissa
Nov 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I got an eGalley of this book through NetGalley.com. It was a really excellent graphic novel filled with mystery, some creepy things, and magic. After reading it I want to go out and read all of the other books in the series.

Courtney Crumrin is forced to move into her great-uncle's old creepy house with her parents (who are broke and need a place to live). To say that Courtney doesn't fit in in this prestigious town and preppy school is an understatement. Then one night Courtney sees something i
Khairul Hezry
Sep 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
Chris
Disclaimer: I got a free ARC via netgalley.

Poor Courtney Crumrin. Her parents are clueless, the family has moved in with her mysterious uncle, she’s the new kid at school, and there is something that goes bump in the night in her bedroom.

What’s a girl to do?

Use her noggin.

Courtney Crumrin, like Tiffany Achling, is the girl’s answer to Harry Potter. She’s Hermione gone gothic. Well, slightly Goth. Courtney is her own teen after all. (And how come male authors keep doing this, not female ones?)

Th
colleen the convivial curmudgeon
I had already read this book in the original black & white, but when I saw they had released a color edition I squeeled in delight and just had to have it - and my wonderful husband obliged me. :>

First, for the art, the colors do wonderful things. One of the, erm, issues with Naifeh's art is that a lot of it is similar and I sometimes find it hard to differentiate things. The color both helps create depth and detail, as well as just bringing the images to life. 4.5 stars.

As to the stories
Diz
Aug 31, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
This book was a disappointment for me. First, I didn't really like the characters in it. Courtney in particular is a boring character. She doesn't really have any personality other than she doesn't like things. She hates her parents. She hates her school. She hates her life. That is her only defining characteristic. As for her character, it's uneven. At the beginning of the book, she is a scared little child when she sees a small monster in her room. A few pages later, she's running through the ...more
Jill
This first volume of the Courtney Crumrin collection features Courtney facing both school bullies and strange gothic creatures, after her parents run short on money and move themselves and Courtney in to live with creepy Uncle Aloysius. Courtney finds herself in a darkly weird new world, but her ingenuity and drive help her tackle both her social problems and the things that go bump in the night.

This book is an interesting blend of supernatural and real-life problems. Courtney is tough and cleve
SARAH
Dec 20, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics, fantasy, magic, ya
Actually I am not a big fan of graphic novels, so may be that's the reason I wasn't fascinated by it.
It wasn't a bad one, It was a nice quick read. but just that.
I liked Courtney's uncle a lot, I like these weird characters, that you think they are evil, but actually they are kind from inside.
It was fine, but not a very good book that deserves more than 3 stars, at least for me!
Jenna
The pages seemed rather too cramped for my taste and it made it hard for me to read. Similarly for the drawing style, it seemed to change too much. But I found the characters interesting and it reminded me of Lemony Snicket, Coraline, and Tim Burton...
David Skies
Jul 29, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-novels
Courtney Crumrin, your lack of a nose disturbs me.
Trinity
The art is eye-catching and the story is entertaining, but the book never quite rises to be worthy of four stars.
Emmy
Apr 18, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Emmy by: Chad Statler
What a delightfully creepy book! This is the sort of thing young Em would have absolutely loved. As it was, I certainly enjoyed the first installment of the series, and look forward to continuing. The sense of atmosphere and pacing in this book was just perfect. While the start was a little slow, it quickly fell into a steady rhythm, not too fast, not too slow, and with just the right amount of thrills and chills. It's suspenseful and creepy without being outright scary, and this makes it a grea ...more
Marko Bojkovský
Dec 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comic-books
Ovaj sam strip iskopao na digitalnoj polici nekog od Goodreads dobrih duša, nisam siguran više gde (jesam, stravičan sam knjiški voajer, špijuniram na sve strane) i mnogo sam srećan zbog toga.

Autor ne pokušava da pravi preveliki otklon od uobičajnih bajkovitih, snenih priča koje mnogi od nas toliko vole. Ima tu malo Andersona, Gejmena i Barkera, pomalo atmosferom podseća i na "Lokot i Ključ" čak i indie pristupom na "I Kill Giants"... Mračno igranje, maštanje na granici fantazije neobičnih stvor
La White   Conchita
Such an amazing graphic novel! The art style is beautiful the characters (although there are only a few main ones) are easily loveable and I love their relationships with each other.
Shaunesay
Apr 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics, library
very cute, will be looking for more of Courtney's adventures.
Jeff
Jan 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a surprisingly deep book. My ten year old picked it up at the library and I thought I should read it before him, given it looked creepy. Interestingly, it is creepy, but in a way that allows the author to use it as metaphors for depression, self esteem, and other emotions that young people sometimes don't know how to deal with. I was left rather impressed.
Alexa
Originally posted here

Courtney Crumrin and the Night Things is filled with dark humor and wild characters that I did not expect from a series that seemed to be aimed to a younger audience. I liked it, however, and for a first volume, it kept me engaged and wanting more.

Courtney Crumrin, its titular heroine, just moved with her parents to her Uncle Aloysius’s house. I think mansion would fit better, but it is obvious that it has seen better days. It is now dark, spooky, and had all the looks o
Kate Foran
Aug 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
Creepy, dark. The night is full of nasty things and school is possibly worse. Fun - I would happily read more.

7th grade and up would get the most out of it, I think. But I have some 4th and 5th graders who are desperate for dark and creepy -- and this one isn't so mature that I would keep them from it.

• GloomCookie (GloomCookie, #1)
  • Death Jr., Vol. 1
  • Blue Monday Vol. 3: Inbetween Days
  • Serenity Rose Volume 1: Working Through the Negativity
  • Flight, Vol. 6 (Flight, #6)
  • Gunnerkrigg Court, Vol. 2: Research (Gunnerkrigg Court #2)
  • Rust Vol. 1: Visitor in the Field
  • Hopeless Savages Volume 1
  • Lenore: Noogies
  • Kin (The Good Neighbors, #1)
  • The Last Dragon
  • The Dark (The Stuff of Legend, #1)
  • Pinocchio, Vampire Slayer Volume One
Ted Naifeh is an American comic book writer and artist who gained notoriety for his illustrations in the goth romance comic Gloomcookie. Naifeh has since become most known as the creator of the Eisner-Award-nominated series Courtney Crumrin, published by Oni Press.

Courtney Crumrin (7 books)
  • Courtney Crumrin and the Coven of Mystics (Courtney Crumrin, #2)
  • Courtney Crumrin in the Twilight Kingdom (Courtney Crumrin, #3)
  • Courtney Crumrin's Monstrous Holiday (Courtney Crumrin, #4)
  • The Witch Next Door (Courtney Crumrin #5)
  • The Final Spell (Courtney Crumrin, #6)
  • Tales of a Warlock (Courtney Crumrin, #7)
“Courtney didn't like babies at the best of times. As far as she was concerned, anything that existed solely to emit drool, vomit, ghastly odors and loud, annoying screams was more trouble than it was worth.” 9 likes