Start by marking “Father Christmas” as Want to Read:
Father Christmas

Father Christmas

3.67  ·  Rating details ·  175 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
A war hero's widow, Graceanne still has her adorable three-year-old twin boys to love--until she receives a letter from her late husband's demanding cousin, Leland Warrington, the Duke of Ware. It seems that the duke--thirty-two years old, twice widowed, and with no forseeable plans to marry again--is in desperate need of an heir. And seeing that Graceanne has two boys, sh ...more
Published December 1st 2011 by Untreed Reads (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Father Christmas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Father Christmas

QNPoohBear
The Duke of Ware needs an heir - and is not happy about it. If only there was some way to have the joy of raising on heir, without nannies and servants, without having to get leg shackled. That is a prospect that does NOT appeal to Leland Warrington When in his cups he hits upon the idea of adopting one of his late cousin's twin boys. The elder of the two is his heir unless he sires children of his own- which he won't be! When Graceanne Warrington reads the Duke's letter she is incensed! Take on ...more
A Voracious Reader (a.k.a. Carol)
Mrs. Graceanne Warrington is a widow with three-yr-old rambunctious identical twins. Her husband, Major Anthony Warrington, was killed by an infection after being injured in battle on the Pennisula. Unfortunately, Tony was the Duke of Ware’s cousin and heir since, even after having been married twice, he had no sons to pass the title to. Now, with no heir, the Duke, Leland Warrington, at age 31, had to brave the matchmaking mamas and their simpering misses and find himself another wife.

His frie
Ana T.
HE DARED BELIEVE THAT HIS MONEY COULD BUY ANYTHING!

A war hero's widow had few pleasures, especially when she was living under the miserly auspices of a stern father. But Graceanne had her beautiful three-year-old twin boys and that was joy enough.

Therefore she was shocked by the audacity of the Duke of Ware, who decided he could help himself to one of her babies. He needed an heir and she had a boy to spare. It was appalling! And she told him so with a swift kick to his manly pride.

But it was Ch
Brenda (b)
I really enjoyed this book. I liked Graceanne and Leland's interest in the boys was great. I loved that he changed his thinking about trying to take one become his heir. I thought it was fun that some events surrounding the twins were never explained in detail just left for me to imagine, but I still got a clear picture of their nature. There were so many colorful secondary characters. The vicar made me dislike him. I wanted to smack Pru for her attitude toward Nina and I felt sorry for Liam.
Lou
Another enjoyable Regency from Ms Metzger - I do like the wry tone of much of her writing, and she employs it perfectly here.

Read for the Seasonal Reading Challenge Fall 09 task 5.4 (Adoption Story)
Suzanne
Nov 30, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: a-metzger
As usual, Metzger smoothly integrates mischievous children into this Christmas themed romance story.
Susannah Carleton
Nov 27, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful read, every time!
Lori
Dec 12, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
LemontreeLime
This is a good holiday read. But the best parts are all the understated ways the author makes reference to the path of destruction the twin toddlers wreak upon all they survey.
Meg
Jul 19, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars. Cute premise, great characters, lots of humor. The author did seem to have a list of "obsolete Regency-era words". Nodcock, check. Bantling, check. Nuncheon, check check. But, admittedly, I *like* obsolete words.
Joan S. Royer
Oct 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it!

This book kept my interest all the way through! It was fun especially when the twins were involved. I recommend it for anyone who likes an amusing story set in this era.
Moriah
3.5 stars (B to B-)

This was just too cute. The author's dry tone appeals to me and the understatements of the twins' destruction were funny. (Okay, I admit that part of my delight in this book was the fact that my son isn't that rambunctious and there's only one of him.)

Most romance readers would probably not like that most of the book happens with the hero and heroine apart, but I was fine with that. I was also fine with the wide swaths of time passage. I did get impatient with the hero's willf
Mel
Aug 20, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked it for the most part it, but it took a weird turn to Ireland midway and I didn't care for that part of the book. The "big misunderstanding" is one of my least favorite tropes, but I loved the heroine Graceanne in spite of the fact that she lacked any sense, she was too much of a fixer. The rakish Duke of Ware was a bit over the top in all things, but ultimately had a good heart. I did like the kids too, twins especially are always fun in a well written romance.
Anneliese Bennion
This is what I did yesterday evening - I read the whole book. It was a cute little Christmas book, but I am a sucker for Christmas romance novels. This was a fun read, even if there could have been far more scenes with the two main characters. The sister and the father drove me nuts, but other than that I rather enjoyed it.
Dec 06, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: regency, christmas
Enjoyable fluff for the holidays. This was a fun read... although I wish it hadn't gone into the cliched "betrayal/misunderstanding" moment that most romance books and movies hinge upon. Do they really have to have a horrible misunderstanding before they find true love?

That said, this is one of the better Christmas regencies I've read.
cheryl ann crenshaw
Enjoyable read

Father Christmas is an easy and good read. It has some of the comedic confusion that is standard in Barbara Metzger's books but without much excitement. I have read many of this author's books and enjoyed them. If you love the regency era then this is a story you may really enjoy.
Linda
(view spoiler)
Doreen
Dec 27, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Funny and heartwarming

As the mother of now adult twin boys, I found this book very funny. The only thing that kept me from awarding the fifth star was the anachronisms, including sadly the title itself.
Julie (jjmachshev)
"Father Christmas" is a reprint of Barbara Metzger's Fawcett Regency story by the same title. It's a frothy, sweet story of a widow with twins who wins the heart of a Duke. A very G-rated story even with the presence of a child born out of wedlock. A pleasant holiday-themed read.
M.A. Nichols
I'd say this is more of a 3.5 stars for me. It's not amazing and there are a few issues I have with it, but it was entertaining. I don't know that it's one I'd ever want to read again, but it was worth picking up once. It’s a clean, sweet read, if you’re looking for that type of book.
Kathleen
Good beginning. I liked it, but not the long separation.
Annie
Jul 16, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Found touching:

"Just as she was about to close the drapes, a snowflake drifted past, then another. Her boys would have snow for their new sleds after all. Thank you, Lord. Happy birthday."
Lady Day
Jul 11, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My first book by Barabara Metzger. The babies in his story were hilarious. Love the feel of the snow and couples falling in love during the winter season. Non sensual.
Kym Licup
Sep 18, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very fun read! The antics of the twins and the detached way the detritus is described made the book.
Erin
Sep 04, 2015
Meggie
Jan 04, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • The Duke's Double (Lords of Love)
  • The Fortune Hunter (Lord Rival, #2)
  • The Bar Sinister (Clanross,0.5)
  • Christmas Beau
  • The Duke's Wager (Bessacarr, #1)
  • The Fifth Kiss
  • Feather Castles (Sanguinet Saga, #2)
  • Lavender Lady
  • Lady Allerton's Wager
  • The Sandalwood Princess / Knaves' Wager
  • Lady Scandal
  • Bedded at the Billionaire's Convenience
  • No Groom at the Inn (Dukes Behaving Badly, #2.5)
  • The Sugar Rose
  • Joe's Wife
  • Christmas Angel (Company of Rogues, #3)
  • Season for Miracles (Bethlehem, #1)
  • Charity Begins at Home
Barbara Metzger is the author of over three dozen books and a dozen novellas. She has also been an editor, a proof-reader, a greeting card verse-writer, and an artist. When not painting, writing romances or reading them, she volunteers at the local library, gardens and goes beach-combing and yard-saling.

Her novels, mostly set in Regency-era England, have won numerous awards, including the Romance
More about Barbara Metzger...