Start by marking “The Healing Power of the Breath: Simple Techniques to Reduce Stress and Anxiety, Enhance Concentration, and Balance Your Emotions” as Want to Read:

2013 Nautilus Award Winner - Silver

Here’s a drug-free, side-effect free solution to common stress and mood problems—developed by two physicians. Millions of Americans suffer from mood problems and stress-related issues including anxiety, depression, insomnia, and trauma-induced emotions and behaviors; and most would prefer not to take medication for their conditions due t
Published June 12th 2012 by Shambhala

To ask other readers questions about The Healing Power of the Breath, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Healing Power of the Breath

Rose
Quick review for a quick read. To make a few notes on my reading on "The Healing Power of the Breath", I'll admit that I didn't have access to any of the supplemental materials that were noted to be included with this text. Considering that the text hinges so much on the audio CD and supplemental material, it's difficult to grade the helpfulness of this text without it. In searching for supplemental material on meditation, health/wellness, and breathing techniques to supplement my own practices ...more
Faith Tydings
Aug 05, 2018 rated it liked it
I didn't love the book as much as the accompanying CD - that was great!
Linda
Aug 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This thoughtfully written book and the enclosed CD that includes examples of different breathing techniques is excellent. I recommend this to anyone wishing to improve their sleep or to simply feel more calm. It's a great value with the CD.
Priscilla
Apr 05, 2019 rated it liked it
I read this book as part of a 5 week workshop I am participating in. Really enjoyed the CD.
Ben Blue
Feb 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Wonderful. Exceedingly practical and simple, and for the most part, it steers clear of often accompanying New Age spirituality that turns off so many Westerners.

As a Christian, I intend to do some extra study into their emphasis on qigong before I attempt to integrate that element, but it is only one element in addition to their core "Total Breath" practice.

As an agoraphobe, just integrating their slower breathing techniques informally throughout the day has brought great relief from anxiety,
Rand
Well written with good detail. Enjoyed the bit about knowledge of breathwork being passed on to members of the Russian Special Forces by way of medieval monks practicing the Jesus Prayer.

Have not listened to the CD though there is some audio on this website run by associates of the authors.

The long and short of it all is that practicing a slow breathing technique of five to six breaths in one minute (if you have trouble keeping count, just slowly expand your lungs to full capacity then hold a fe
Aimee
Jun 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
I do yoga every day and have felt for myself the benefits of being aware of breath. This is a good book for some easy techniques to do to help you to feel less stressed and tired and to promote a more healthy lifestyle. The book comes with a CD to help with the exercises, I did not have the CD to listen to since I read the book on my Kindle so I cannot say how helpful it is.

The book does do a good job of explaining why it is important to take the time to do breathing exercises and makes a good
Maya Yashodhara
Jul 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: spirituality
The 20 minutes a day breath practice have changed my life. I recommend this to everyone. If you want to know how to heal yourself and learn how humans are meant to breathe read this book and use the audio guides.
AnandaTashie
Nov 22, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013, non-fic
The authors explore coherent breathing (5 breaths per minute to "induce a state of mental calm coupled with alert awareness"), resistance breathing (which "slightly increases pressure in the lungs, which heightens stimulation of the parasympathetic system, the soothing, recharging part of the nervous system"), breath moving, and total breath, plus some add-ons like body scanning and 4-4-6-2 breath counting.

To give this book credit, the breathing exercises shared really are powerful. They're mos
Joey
Jul 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: wellness
The author offers a powerful, free and easily accessible solution - breath to relieve stress, stay calm and fight trauma and so on. It is an introductory book that provides guidelines on several breathing techniques that are deemed most useful and accessible to beginners. One is introduced to yoga and qigong breathing techniques too though no further deeper knowledge was drilled.
Tamara
Feb 03, 2013 rated it liked it
This book was terrible- like so dry and boring- one star. HOWEVER, the CD has pretty much changed my life- it calms me so much, I use it with counselling clients regularly, and pretty much all the tracks rock, especially coherent breathing. Highly recommend the CD- 5 stars. But skip the book
Elizabeth Pyjov
Informative!
J Crossley
Mar 11, 2016 rated it it was ok
This books says that by deep breathing we can eliminate many health issues.
Jessica
Dec 08, 2012 rated it did not like it
I really tried but this was just too dry to get into!
Khoa
Dec 04, 2012 rated it liked it
Great book, the exercises are great. I just don't like the examples in the middle. More reasoning could've been better.
Elizabeth (Betty)
Oct 25, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting ideas for dealing with stress, sleep, improve brain function through breath.

I will start using some of the techniques in this book.

Karen Bliss
Dec 27, 2016
Gena Wallenburg
Oct 28, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • I Can Make You Confident: The Power to Go for Anything You Want!
  • Your Aura and Your Chakras: The Owner's Manual
  • The Now Effect: How a Mindful Moment Can Change the Rest of Your Life
  • Paleo Cooking from Elana's Pantry: Gluten-Free, Grain-Free, Dairy-Free Recipes
  • Born to Blog: Building Your Blog for Personal and Business Success One Post at a Time
  • Healing Into Life and Death
  • The Truth of Suffering and the Path of Liberation
  • Zen Meditation in Plain English
  • Pinterest Power: Market Your Business, Sell Your Product, and Build Your Brand on the World's Hottest Social Network
  • Living Dharma: Teachings of Twelve Buddhist Masters
  • Ten Breaths to Happiness: Touching Life in its Fullness
  • Future Primitive: The New Ecotopias
  • Some Anatomies of Melancholy
  • Reduced to Joy
  • Buddha's Book of Stress Reduction: Finding Serenity and Peace with Mindfulness Meditation
  • Anxiety and Avoidance: A Universal Treatment for Anxiety, Panic, and Fear