Start by marking “Krishna: Defender of Dharma: A Graphic Novel” as Want to Read:
Krishna: Defender of Dharma: A Graphic Novel

Krishna: Defender of Dharma: A Graphic Novel

Evil Rakshasa Kalanemi is back on Earth, this time appearing as Kansa, the tyrant king of Mathura. To vanquish him and his horde of evil monsters, Lord Vishnu comes to Earth in his eighth avatar - Krishna, the defender of dharma. Since his birth, Krishna valiantly fights evil monsters, showing courage and valour. But as he grows up and becomes a councillor of the race of Y ...more
Published January 15th 2013 by Campfire (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Krishna, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Krishna

Start your review of Krishna: Defender of Dharma: A Graphic Novel
Shravanthi
Apr 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
As you can clearly see, I was't very impressed with the storytelling. Dialogues were filled with large words and very little emotions. And the script wasn't compelling enough. It was no match to the grandeur of the illustrations that accompanied it.

Krishna is a character I've adored all my life. I've heard numerous stories of him as the butter-thief, the prankster and the undeniably wise guide of Arjun. As a Hindu, I grew up amidst stories of Kannaiya. I have sung bhajans in his praise; I have
Priya
Sep 23, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: indian-mythology
The kings of Indian mythology are amar chitra katha(ack). We live in a country where we hear Krishna's story on a daily basis. For kids and anyone who wants to get a quick gist of Krishna's life, this book does the job. The art is wonderful for sure, and better than amar chitra katha. But when it comes to content, this cannot surpass. Ack does a far better job in bringing out short and very beautiful stories in Krishna's period, which are not typically his well known pastimes. I particularly lov ...more
Rachel
Sep 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
Krishna is full of colour, sometimes vibrant and sometimes toned down; the colours always compliment the mood. In his godly moments Krishna's blues become brighter with glowing highlights. For those unfamiliar with Indian mythology, an introduction is provided with each chapter. In the first part, a great tyrant rules the land unjustly, and so Krishna is reborn to protect dharma. Even as a child he defeats demons that are sent to assassinate him. He is rash, but brave, and is protected by his di ...more
Vikas
Dec 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned, graphic-novels
This graphic novel about Krishna is really a highlight real of Krishna's life. As such there are just the main scenes after another main scene because there's no time or chance to explore a story and if Shweta had tried that then this book would be 1500 pages long not 152. So the story is the same one we have been seeing throughout being an Indian Hindu and the best part about it are the illustrations, though they also dip in some places mostly they are gorgeous. I liked this book a lot after al ...more
Sara
Mar 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
This was an amazing, beautiful, approachable take on Indian mythology. I have always been interested, but have found straight texts too complex with unfamiliar names/places, so this was wonderful to look at and very informative.
Ananya Mandal
Jun 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
Amazed by the beauty of the illustrations! loved this book!
Namratha
Oct 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
The artwork.
Oh......the artwork.
Kamakshi
This is so beautiful. I love the art.
Gaurangi
May 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
There are certain depictions that were slightly inaccurate but this was still an amazing read. The colors and designs were quite vivid and graphic at times. They added a lot to what was happening.

I grew up hearing stories about Krishna and I still love reading and talking about His stories. This book narrates His stories in summaries but still well portrayed.
Kgwhitehurst
Feb 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The artwork is stupendous, but there's something a little bit cheeky about taking a major epic like MAHABHARATA and turning it into a graphic novel. That said, it gets the story of Lord Krishna's life across quite clearly. He's an avatar of Vishnu come to mortal form to repress evil. In the course of his life and teachings, there are some hard truths, none more difficult that ones he imparts to Arjuna on the eve of the cosmically epic battle between the Pandavas and the Kauravas, who cheated the ...more
Jason
I read the Bhavagad Gita in college and learned about Krishna through his words, but this is the first I've read the stories he's associated with. It was interesting to note a few similarities between his birth and the birth of Christ.
It was also wearying reading all the time about people having to fight for duty or honor all the time when you are a believer in peace. I guess given what I remember about Krishna's words, I thought he was a bigger advocate for peace than he seems to be in these st
Ankita
Dec 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: that-i-own
The content and the role play of Lord Krishna is very well versed. But the graphics were on the whole average.. except for a few scenes like the supreme form of Krishna and Bhishma's killing. But overall could have been better. Otherwise an amazing piece!!!
Jen
Jan 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
I'm not familiar with these figures, myths, or legends so I cannot attest to their accuracy or portrayal compared to the original source. What I can say, however, is that this was a lush, beautifully drawn book that told small stories overlapping with the growth of a young god.
Jayakrishna
Nov 28, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very good Graphic novel On Krishna.Worth having One copy!
Rusmir
Dec 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Really excellent introduction into the religion. Beautiful illustrations. Generated lots of discussion questions at book club.
Hester
Aug 18, 2015 rated it liked it
Very beautiful illustrations. I think it needs to be a little longer. I found some later passages confusing, and the author summarized parts of the story where I would have preferred exposition.
Nam
Nov 25, 2017 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: a younger audience
It was interesting to read these stories, in a different context/format, so many years after hearing/reading them last. Surprised myself at how much I still remembered.

The drawing/writing style, wasn't my favorite. Prefer my graphic novels a bit more gritty and adult. However, probably appropriate for the content. A sort of modern update to the classic's of Amar Chitra Katha.
Tanya Aggarwal
Oct 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Quite authentic. The book gives you a great overview of Krishna's life. I loved reading it!
Srinivas
Feb 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent graphics

The story, most of us know, is explained in a beautiful way. The drawings are superb and thoughtful.
Worth the price.
Collin Reynolds
Jan 31, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well illustrated summary of Krishna Stories

Short but well illustrated accounts of the life of Krishna, Avatar of Vishnu. Interesting and informative, it does its job.
Divya

• Le Petit Loup Rouge
  • Rite of Passage
  • Hothouse
  • Cobalt Blue
  • Sharpe's Havoc (Sharpe, #7)
  • A Boy and His Dog
  • Swamp Thing, Vol. 1: Saga of the Swamp Thing
  • Roseanna (Martin Beck, #1)
  • The Murder on the Links (Hercule Poirot, #2)
  • Bone: Tall Tales
  • YUDDHA KAND
Shweta Taneja is a fantasy author, comic writer and journalist based in India. She's written seven books and two hundred articles in a career spanning fourteen years. She's a Charles Wallace India Writing Fellow and was shortlisted for Best Writer Award in ComicCon India for The Skull Rosary.

Her graphic novel Krishna Defender of Dharma is part of CBSE and Kendriya Vidyalaya Recommended Lists. Her